ADVERTISEMENT

Mastro gone...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
...per the scoop.

Hefty pay raise and the title of running game corridinator.

I understand the move, but bad timing. Let's hope Borghi - who will play this year - gets a great new coach.

I will continue to root for anyone vs. Oregon. Of course they have every right to try and hire anyone, but their obscene proclivity of throwing money at everything and everyone knows no bounds. And their willingness to give a title to seemingly everyone they hire ("running game coordinator") is the equivalent of initially telling all those QBs that had transferred out of the program the past few years: "Come to UO. You are going to be our starting QB, there is nobody else."

OK, enough venting. Good luck to Mastro. He contributed greatly to the WSU turnaround. I'd feel less bitter if I knew for sure that Borghi will remain committed to the Cougars. Hopefully, he will.

Glad Cougar

I am sure that Mastro had a long sit down with Borghi before leaving. I would imagine that he explained that he could not resist the pay raise for the benefit of his family and had to do it. Would also imagine that Borghi reluctantly agreed and understood.

Back to the rolodex for CML. I wonder who he can replace Mastro with. Most staffs are already filled but perhaps he has someone in mind, some up-and-comer at a mid-major or FCS school. So far the additions to our staff recently have looked fine but it really sucks to have to keep doing this. Out of the eight other coaches beside himself, three of them- almost half- have been lured away. Remains to be seen if he can pull another rabbit out of the hat.

Somewhat surprised given CML and Mastro's long history back to their roots in the 80s.

But $$$ talks. And given the lack of running this past season, maybe Mastro decided he was tired of getting paid for doing nothing.

Well Leach had already thought, he was gone so why wouldn't other coaches coaches not go if the money was right?The Tennessee fiasco got a lot of coaches thinking.

How about Johnny Nansen, USC RB coach? Underpaid, currently the top recruiter in the PAC 12. WSU alum. I am sure USC will counter, but make them counter. You never know.

Reactions: ATACFD and PatBaum
How about Johnny Nansen, USC RB coach? Underpaid, currently the top recruiter in the PAC 12. WSU alum. I am sure USC will counter, but make them counter. You never know.
Nansen's done a nice job as an assistant but he's coaching LBs.

I can't remember his name or the JC he is at, but when they were thinking about the possible 10th assistant coach, BX wrote a story about a running backs coach. The guy is Samoan and is probably the best recruiter of Samoan players in all of college.

Reactions: Tx64
anyone know his salary? Someone like David White at Nevada might be a good fit, but I doubt Leach would take him away from Hal Mumme's son....who's the coordinator. White is the recruiting coordinator at Nevada and the running back coach. He was also the recruiting coordinator at Oklahoma. 2010-16: Player Development, U.S. Army All-American Bowl. Also a motivational speaker. Doesn't look anything like Matt Foley.

Why not ?,everyone is fair game in the coaching business.Loyalty lasts only until the pay is right. I guess someone like Rb Williams got a huge dose of reality. The JC guy sounds good, but Leach needs to have some good coaches.Just being a good recruiter and friend is not enough in D 1 football.

Why not ?,everyone is fair game in the coaching business.Loyalty lasts only until the pay is right. I guess someone like Rb Williams got a huge dose of reality. The JC guy sounds good, but Leach needs to have some good coaches.Just being a good recruiter and friend is not enough in D 1 football.

Running backs are not hard to coach. Receivers are far more complicated. Recruiting is critical for this position. The JC coach would be a great hire for finding Samoan diamond's in the rough. If not a strong minority recruiter.

After posting I looked again. Another site has him coaching both RBs and LBs. Go figure. He is a great recruiter and has coach multiple positions in his career. I am confident Leach will find the right guy.

Well, I'm ticked ! Was Mastro still a under contract? Under Leach, we have lost 2 assistants to Oregon and 1 to UCLA. I don't mind them going out of conference, but jeez ! Is it possible to beef up the contacts to include buyout penalty on the assistants if they move to another Pac12 team while still under contract?

Well, I'm ticked ! Was Mastro still a under contract? Under Leach, we have lost 2 assistants to Oregon and 1 to UCLA. I don't mind them going out of conference, but jeez ! Is it possible to beef up the contacts to include buyout penalty on the assistants if they move to another Pac12 team while still under contract?
you forgot yost. 3 to u of o. Can WSU get out of the nike contract?

Last edited:
Well we got a better D line coach because of it.We have a better D coordinator now It remains to be seen with the LB coach.However Mastro is a great recruiter and his loss will be felt much like Manning.The cougs need another great recruiter to replace him.Perhaps Biggs can be used as motivational speaker prior to the AC? The cougs need to beat the ducks butt with both the fat man and Mastro on the opposing sideline.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4 and Tx64
Three to Oregon. Yost, Salave'a and Mastro.

Running backs are not hard to coach. Receivers are far more complicated. Recruiting is critical for this position. The JC coach would be a great hire for finding Samoan diamond's in the rough. If not a strong minority recruiter.
easy there. No doubt we had some talent to start, but he made 3 starters out of them, and Harrington who was supposed to be the next big one got demoted.

Don't undersell the job Mastro did; he'll be sorely missed, mark my words.

Three to Oregon. Yost, Salave'a and Mastro.
It's pretty sickening.

Makes me curious if coaches in the SEC cross enemy lines as much as happens in the P12.

I actually don't mind so much when (our) coaches leave to take a promotion, but this lateral move to a rival is grade A bullsh!t. It' a stark reminder that the NCAA is all about haves and have nots, and piece of sh!t Whoregon is rubbing our face in it. F them, f Joe, and F Masteo. they deserve each other....

Bring the bruiser back. He's in Vancouver and rumor has it he and wulf got into it because Steve was frustrated with how things were managed.

Reactions: kougkurt
1) Ed is right. Broussard has a poor record as a recruiter.
2) I just do not see Leach bringing back a former member of Wulff's staff.

1990's post about the Poly coach at a JC in the Midwest is intriguing but would the RBs and Borghi be content with being coached by a JC RB coach? Apparently one hell of a recruiter though.

Leach has also not brought in a former WSU anything so I don't know why he would now. Either way he's done a good job hiring for the most part especially the last 2 years.

If and when the new coach fails,Mastro will be scrambling to find security. I give the new coach about two years,maybe less, before they send him packing.He will meet the fate of Yost and wonder why he did not opt for more security over the long run.The new Oregon coach is more like a stop gap until they can find a coach for the long run

50% pay raise for Mastro - from 250 to 375 - hard to say no to that
I don’t know. It’s not FU money. And the job security is much lower. I guess maybe it sets his rate a bit hire when he has to get a new job in a year or two but how did that work out for Yost?

1) Ed is right. Broussard has a poor record as a recruiter.
2) I just do not see Leach bringing back a former member of Wulff's staff.

1990's post about the Poly coach at a JC in the Midwest is intriguing but would the RBs and Borghi be content with being coached by a JC RB coach? Apparently one hell of a recruiter though.

Yes, players would not mind at all. There are many coaches that get their start in high school, JC's, small colleges and move up the ranks. This includes Mike Leach.

He actually has played a recruitment role in WSU's players from American Samoa.

Here is Coach Keiki's bio. http://www.gobroncbusters.com/sports/fball/2016-17/Keiki_Misipeka?view=bio

Last edited:
Reactions: Tx64
I don’t know. It’s not FU money. And the job security is much lower. I guess maybe it sets his rate a bit hire when he has to get a new job in a year or two but how did that work out for Yost?
My understanding is that his contract is for three years guaranteed with $475K to start. If correct then this is an intelligent move by Mastro (or his agent). Gives him some security even if Cristobal does not work out and time to move on if he does not care for the new HC. All moot if Cristobal is successful, of course.

Yes, players would not mind at all. There are many coaches that get their start in high school, JC's, small colleges and move up the ranks. This includes Mike Leach.

He actually has played a recruitment role in WSU's players from American Samoa.

Here is is bio. http://www.gobroncbusters.com/sports/fball/2016-17/Keiki_Misipeka?view=bio
Would not mind this guy at all if he can coach halfway as well as he can recruit. I was unaware that he had some history with sending players to Pullman. If so then CML must have some familiarity with him and he would be on the prospect list of RB coaches. Where on the list is another question. In any event, he certainly has an interesting resume' and would make an intriguing choice.

Ekuale, Mata'afa and some of the other Polys might be sources of information about him if CML is thinking in this direction.

My understanding is that his contract is for three years guaranteed with $475K to start. If correct then this is an intelligent move by Mastro (or his agent). Gives him some security even if Cristobal does not work out and time to move on if he does not care for the new HC. All moot if Cristobal is successful, of course.

that's nice money for a good gig - when was the last time an RB coach got blamed for a loss?

"here - take this ball thing and run through that hole there and don't drop it when you get hit - but if you do drop it then it's your fault not mine"

Oregon has lost the last 3 years to us so they are desperate. They throw money at assistants hoping it will fix their problems.

But somehow we seem to get better when coaches depart with Leach.

I think we upgraded from Yost and Salavae when they left.

I like Mastro like I like coach Joe and Yost, but Oregon hasn't had a lot of success poaching from us, and I think it frees us up to upgrade the position.

Mastro did a fantastic job recruiting and bringing in great backs. Our RBs have been quality all around, but still there can be an improvement.

The real question is what is Oregon actually doing?

Marcus Arroyo is the OC? The only place he has been an OC was 1 year at Southern Miss prior and they went 1-11.
He was "Co-OC" this year and they went 7-6.

The only person that impresses me on Oregon's staff is Leavitt. That's it.

Cristobal is an OL Coach/HC not a play caller.
Arroyo doesn't have some impressive body of work.
Mastro is a talented guy
Michael Johnson (WR coach) is a talented guy

But I still don't see a single true offensive play caller. I see a lot of position coaches but nobody who REALLy can coordinate a style and system of offense. It just looks like a lot of loose parts to me.

Johnson was the OC for UCLA when Mastro was there in 2011.
They finished 6-8.

UCLA had talent at the time. Oregon has talent. But I see 6 wins on average. I do not thing this is going to go well over there.

They have a lot of good recruiters, but nobody really that is a great executioner except for Leavitt.

Oregon as a known offensive team with a flashy dangerous offense days, in my opinion, are over.

The only 2 real people who can pull that off are Chip Kelly and Scott Frost, and both are head coaches elsewhere.

Cristobal has a 5 year contract. I just don't see Oregon getting that good with him. Leavitt always has his eye on the K-State job Salavae wanted the Arizona job. I just see a lot of people with their foot out the door.

I think we will be just fine. Everything people say about Mastro we said about Salavaea and we upgraded. I think we will do that again.

Oregon has lost the last 3 years to us so they are desperate. They throw money at assistants hoping it will fix their problems.

But somehow we seem to get better when coaches depart with Leach.

I think we upgraded from Yost and Salavae when they left.

I like Mastro like I like coach Joe and Yost, but Oregon hasn't had a lot of success poaching from us, and I think it frees us up to upgrade the position.

Mastro did a fantastic job recruiting and bringing in great backs. Our RBs have been quality all around, but still there can be an improvement.

The real question is what is Oregon actually doing?

Marcus Arroyo is the OC? The only place he has been an OC was 1 year at Southern Miss prior and they went 1-11.
He was "Co-OC" this year and they went 7-6.

The only person that impresses me on Oregon's staff is Leavitt. That's it.

Cristobal is an OL Coach/HC not a play caller.
Arroyo doesn't have some impressive body of work.
Mastro is a talented guy
Michael Johnson (WR coach) is a talented guy

But I still don't see a single true offensive play caller. I see a lot of position coaches but nobody who REALLy can coordinate a style and system of offense. It just looks like a lot of loose parts to me.

Johnson was the OC for UCLA when Mastro was there in 2011.
They finished 6-8.

UCLA had talent at the time. Oregon has talent. But I see 6 wins on average. I do not thing this is going to go well over there.

They have a lot of good recruiters, but nobody really that is a great executioner except for Leavitt.

Oregon as a known offensive team with a flashy dangerous offense days, in my opinion, are over.

The only 2 real people who can pull that off are Chip Kelly and Scott Frost, and both are head coaches elsewhere.

Cristobal has a 5 year contract. I just don't see Oregon getting that good with him. Leavitt always has his eye on the K-State job Salavae wanted the Arizona job. I just see a lot of people with their foot out the door.

I think we will be just fine. Everything people say about Mastro we said about Salavaea and we upgraded. I think we will do that again.

Good post. It will all come down to staff recruiting. Salave'a was an excellent recruiter. Mastro was an excellent recruiter.

Salave'a appears to be a better recruiter than Jeff Phelps. Phelps may be an improvement as a coach, or at least the coaching is not a downgrade.

We do know who will be the new RB coach will be. Another possibility is that McGuire moves over from OL coach, as he was a RB coach at East Carolina before he came to WSU. Personally, I would rather hire a lights out recruiter.

Interestingly enough, Mastro is still listed on WSUCougars.com. He is also now listed on GoDucks.com as the rb coach.

One more tidbit, former WSU backup QB and holder David Gilbertson is an offensive graduate assistant with the Ducks.

Good post. It will all come down to staff recruiting. Salave'a was an excellent recruiter. Mastro was an excellent recruiter.

Salave'a appears to be a better recruiter than Jeff Phelps. Phelps may be an improvement as a coach, or at least the coaching is not a downgrade.

We do know who will be the new RB coach will be. Another possibility is that McGuire moves over from OL coach, as he was a RB coach at East Carolina before he came to WSU. Personally, I would rather hire a lights out recruiter.

Interestingly enough, Mastro is still listed on WSUCougars.com. He is also now listed on GoDucks.com as the rb coach.

One more tidbit, former WSU backup QB and holder David Gilbertson is an offensive graduate assistant with the Ducks.

I'm not sure that facts support Salave'a being an "excellent" recruiter. we've done OK since he left. I'm not sure that we can judge Phelps' recruiting prowess after one year.

I'm more concerned about coaching prowess. The more we win, the easier it gets to recruit.

He left for a lot more money. Nothing you can do. If I were him, that’s exactly how I’d spin it to recruits.

I'm not sure that facts support Salave'a being an "excellent" recruiter. we've done OK since he left. I'm not sure that we can judge Phelps' recruiting prowess after one year.

I'm more concerned about coaching prowess. The more we win, the easier it gets to recruit.

Salave'a brought in a lot of players, many who have been very good at WSU. I'm not sure what facts you are talking about. Phelps was a mediocre recruiter at Minnesota. I was not basing it on just the one year at WSU.

Recruiting is the most important part of being a coach. You can only coach up a player so much. You can be a mediocre on field coach, but if you have great players, it can make you look brilliant. For example, Tosh Lopoi is on Alabama's staff for his recruiting prowess.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT