ADVERTISEMENT

Mateer article

Two things - Mateer would certainly help in the running game because he can be use as a legit RPO threat w/o the downside i.e. #1 QB injury exposure. But our receivers have to change their mind set too. Not often have we had a QB who can readily break "contain" like Ward. But our receivers give up on plays after their initial move. When Gesser broke contain you expected big plays and frequently got them because our receivers then knew that it was time to free lance. Currently our receives just do nothing, that's frustrating. If you want to slow down a pass rush, you start by making them need to use lane discipline to prevent Ward from breaking contain AND hurting them with big plays. Right now he breaks contain and then throws the ball out, because our receive are just trotting around.

Two things - Mateer would certainly help in the running game because he can be use as a legit RPO threat w/o the downside i.e. #1 QB injury exposure. But our receivers have to change their mind set too. Not often have we had a QB who can readily break "contain" like Ward. But our receivers give up on plays after their initial move. When Gesser broke contain you expected big plays and frequently got them because our receivers then knew that it was time to free lance. Currently our receives just do nothing, that's frustrating. If you want to slow down a pass rush, you start by making them need to use lane discipline to prevent Ward from breaking contain AND hurting them with big plays. Right now he breaks contain and then throws the ball out, because our receive are just trotting around.
I wasn’t even a receiver, but I remember that ours were always told that when the QB leaves the pocket, come back to him. When he doesn’t throw in 5 seconds, come back to him. When he’s in trouble, come back to him.
It doesn’t look like our receivers have gotten that lesson. Their approach seems to be - at best - get out of the way. At worst, don’t do anything.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I wasn’t even a receiver, but I remember that ours were always told that when the QB leaves the pocket, come back to him. When he doesn’t throw in 5 seconds, come back to him. When he’s in trouble, come back to him.
It doesn’t look like our receivers have gotten that lesson. Their approach seems to be - at best - get out of the way. At worst, don’t do anything.
One occasionally sees a late block from the WR's. However, they often do not come back to the QB. May not be part of Arbuckle's mantra. Don't know...having said that, I saw Victor come back a few times when I was paying attention.

One occasionally sees a late block from the WR's. However, they often do not come back to the QB. May not be part of Arbuckle's mantra. Don't know...having said that, I saw Victor come back a few times when I was paying attention.
Victor did when he was playing.

Can't say I saw a single WR come back last Saturday. At least have a guy or two who are running underneath or short routes do something instead of standing there next to the defender.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT