ADVERTISEMENT

Midnight Maneuvers

TrumpCoug

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2019
More than likely are gone with the change of coaches....not sure how I feel about that. Any current player that says they will miss them would be fibbing. The thing I liked about the midnight maneuvers is they created a "we are all in this together" type of scenario which more than likely helped with bonding and no doubt created "some" mental toughness.

I wonder if some recruits said thanks but no thanks after hearing about the grueling MM's. Obviously we probably didn't want them if this is what scared them off...but no doubt some recruits probably shied away due to Leach's hard line stance on MM among other things (no nonsense rules for dismissal, lack of running the ball, politics, etc)

Thoughts and opinions?

Last edited:
More than likely are gone with the change of coaches....not sure how I feel about that. Any current player that says they will miss them would be fibbing. The think I liked about the midnight maneuvers is they created a "we are all in this together" type of scenario which more than likely helped with bonding and no doubt created "some" mental toughness.

I wonder if some recruits said thanks but no thanks after hearing about the grueling MM's. Obviously we probably didn't want them if this is what scared them off...but no doubt some recruits probably shied away due to Leach's hard line stance on MM among other things (no nonsense rules for dismissal, lack of running the ball, politics, etc)

Thoughts and opinions?
IMO Defense is all about toughness and being on the same page. I’m of the opinion now that Leach was checked out and he may have already been last spring. Judging by the defense specifically there was probably limited returns from the last MM...or a lack of intensity led to offseason laziness? Not aware of anything factual to back this up just speculation and what I saw during the season.

Either way, every program has a certain number of organized conditioning sessions allowed, so while they may not do the late night thing that Leach did, they will have some sort of winter conditioning program before spring ball.

I thought the late night thing was kinda cool though since so many of their games are late at night, figure there’s some body and mind programming.

Reactions: TrumpCoug
More than likely are gone with the change of coaches....not sure how I feel about that. Any current player that says they will miss them would be fibbing. The think I liked about the midnight maneuvers is they created a "we are all in this together" type of scenario which more than likely helped with bonding and no doubt created "some" mental toughness.

Thoughts and opinions?

It could have just been due to the coaching change. With Brown going with Leach there may not have been anyone in Pullman to run MMs. I think it's a mistake to do away with it. Strength and conditioning was one of the keys to Leach's success.

IMO Defense is all about toughness and being on the same page. I’m of the opinion now that Leach was checked out and he may have already been last spring. Judging by the defense specifically there was probably limited returns from the last MM...or a lack of intensity led to offseason laziness? Not aware of anything factual to back this up just speculation and what I saw during the season.

Either way, every program has a certain number of organized conditioning sessions allowed, so while they may not do the late night thing that Leach did, they will have some sort of winter conditioning program before spring ball.

I thought the late night thing was kinda cool though since so many of their games are late at night, figure there’s some body and mind programming.

The more I think about it, the more I think Claeys bailed while he still could. IIRC, he was in charge of the JC recruiting. The JC guys he brought in 2019 were not exactly the cream of the crop. Beekman kinda worked out, I guess. Coming off the success we had, you'd think there are some dudes excited to step right into a starting role. Then the position moves seemed to make the nickel, safety and CB all worse. After Claeys departure those were largely reversed, with the nickel position never really getting sorted out.

The more I think about it, the more I think Claeys bailed while he still could. IIRC, he was in charge of the JC recruiting. The JC guys he brought in 2019 were not exactly the cream of the crop. Beekman kinda worked out, I guess. Coming off the success we had, you'd think there are some dudes excited to step right into a starting role. Then the position moves seemed to make the nickel, safety and CB all worse. After Claeys departure those were largely reversed, with the nickel position never really getting sorted out.
Yeah hard to say. Beekman was hit and miss. Feel like he could be a decent player next year if he puts the effort in. I just don’t see him as anything more than an average safety at best. Ross has flashes where you think, Damn he’s gonna be a stud, then just whiffs and takes terrible angles. He seems like he has a lot of upside if he gets coached up. Hoping the new DC can realize some huge improvement with him.

I disagree with doing intense workouts that late at night. Agree with the intensity and the specific types of exercises. There have been coaches who have tried to install "military type" discipline (Chow in Hawaii). Waking players up at different times during the night, etc.

Reactions: CecilYounger
It could have just been due to the coaching change. With Brown going with Leach there may not have been anyone in Pullman to run MMs. I think it's a mistake to do away with it. Strength and conditioning was one of the keys to Leach's success.

They'll still have conditioning, just won't be called MM. The new S&C seems to know what he's doing. I doubt that it'll be them going and doing wind sprints for 30 minutes and call it a day.

If you are doing military style workouts, burying kids to the point they cant move their bodies with any speed or velocity, you are a shit S&C coach.

Your job is to make kids faster, stronger, bigger. Your conditioning workouts should look like a sprinters training. Not running kids in circles or doing stupid shit in the name of “toughness.”

Mental toughness in football is made on 4th & goal, not running stadium steps until you puke.

More than likely are gone with the change of coaches....not sure how I feel about that. Any current player that says they will miss them would be fibbing. The thing I liked about the midnight maneuvers is they created a "we are all in this together" type of scenario which more than likely helped with bonding and no doubt created "some" mental toughness.

Thoughts and opinions?
I could definitely see some recruits backing away due to his stance on pot smoking

In reading up on our new S&C coach, I ran across a couple different references from former players about his February workouts being pretty intense. Came away from those articles thinking he's trying to accomplish some of the same things in terms of player progress and off-season conditioning as Leach's Midnight Maneuvers. The players spoke a little more positively about the February workouts than anything I heard about Midnight Maneuvers though, and recognized the value in those workouts.

In reading up on our new S&C coach, I ran across a couple different references from former players about his February workouts being pretty intense. Came away from those articles thinking he's trying to accomplish some of the same things in terms of player progress and off-season conditioning as Leach's Midnight Maneuvers. The players spoke a little more positively about the February workouts than anything I heard about Midnight Maneuvers though, and recognized the value in those workouts.
Good workouts, but better at 7pm instead of starting at 10pm. Like a late night game. Same workouts...3 hours earlier.

Good workouts, but better at 7pm instead of starting at 10pm. Like a late night game. Same workouts...3 hours earlier.
Yup. Time to refuel and wind down before bed. I’m no exercise scientist but I do know from experience I’m up for a while if I do a late night workout and gains are minimized if you aren’t getting enough sleep. Didn’t realize they started at 10, 7 would be more appropriate.

A good S&C program is year round. This idea that you need to really challenge kids in February is ridiculous. Your kids should never be out of shape if you are doing your job.

MM or variants of such are common among major college football teams. I put more credence into the sandpit joint strengthening than MM. we really had very few major injuries to joints during Leach compared to before. I think the biggest thong is having an experienced S and C crew and keeping what helped.

A good S&C program is year round. This idea that you need to really challenge kids in February is ridiculous. Your kids should never be out of shape if you are doing your job.
I’m not sure how kids even get out of shape nowadays. Winter conditioning spring ball, mandatory lifting, summer program...basically required...they only get like 3 weeks off, fall camp, training table for nutrition (walk ons on their own for food though). Seems like you’d need to try to get yourself out of shape, hitting McDonald’s 4X a day on the few weeks you aren’t on campus.

speaking of, anyone find it odd seeing the piece on movies the night before games, players scarfing down tubs of movie popcorn? Seems a little counter to what you’d want to put in your body less than 24 hours before a football game. Bet they don’t do that at Bama.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT