ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi State hires Zach Arnett as DC

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
LOL. Probably struck out with Rocky Long, so Leach decided to poach Arnett from Syracuse, who Arnett just agreed to terms with last week.

LOL. Probably struck out with Rocky Long, so Leach decided to poach Arnett from Syracuse, who Arnett just agreed to terms with last week.

That’s brutal for Syracuse. He’s a solid coach. That’s a good hire for him.

We have no idea yet, but who would you rather have, Dickert or Arnett?

Very similar candidates. Both learned under great defensive coaches, and both (IMO) carry the same risk. They were working under defensive head coaches, so their experience as DC's could be questioned by some. For example, if you're Bill Belichick's DC, are you responsible for the success or is he? Personally, I like both of their pedigree.

Dickert personally. Wyoming is similar to Pullman with the disadvantages they face compared to other MWC schools. Not easy to get to, Isolated, not a lot of resources, have to recruit and develop some under the radar kids and they do an awesome job doing that. His defense was actually better than Hazelton and they replaced a lot starters apparently. From 2017-2019 they had the 11th, 10th and 11th ranked recruiting classes and finished 1st, 6th and 3rd based on wins compared to their recruiting classes. Similar to Hawaii which was 9th, 11th, 9th and finished 8th, 3rd, 1st.

At this point I'd rather have Dickert, and here is why. Both have roughly similar backgrounds in the same league, but there is a big difference. Arnett has always been in Rocky Long's shadow. I'm sure Arnett is good, but it is hard to parse out how much of the SDSU D success was due to Long, and how much due to Arnett. Dickert, on the other hand, has had to stand on his own two feet for a couple of years, and that is an important difference in track record. That does NOT tell us who is the best coach, but it is one indicator that we have for Dickert that we would not have for Arnett. I'll add that Dickert did his work in Wyoming, which is not an easy recruiting destination, as opposed to Arnett doing what he has done in San Diego. All in all, based on what is publicly known at this point, I'd rather have Dickert.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
At this point I'd rather have Dickert, and here is why. Both have roughly similar backgrounds in the same league, but there is a big difference. Arnett has always been in Rocky Long's shadow. I'm sure Arnett is good, but it is hard to parse out how much of the SDSU D success was due to Long, and how much due to Arnett. Dickert, on the other hand, has had to stand on his own two feet for a couple of years, and that is an important difference in track record. That does NOT tell us who is the best coach, but it is one indicator that we have for Dickert that we would not have for Arnett. I'll add that Dickert did his work in Wyoming, which is not an easy recruiting destination, as opposed to Arnett doing what he has done in San Diego. All in all, based on what is publicly known at this point, I'd rather have Dickert.
That and the fact that Dickert was responsible for all the effective improvising against certain teams. the HC gave him all the credit.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but would add that Dickert also coached for a defensive-minded HC in Craig Bohl. Whether Bohl cast as much of a shadow as Long, I can't say. But both Dickert & Arnett probably benefited from some of the wisdom and experience of their head coaches.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: 425cougfan
Senior safety Alijah Halliburton and redshirt senior linebacker Logan Wilson were both first team All-Mountain West selections this season, while Wilson was also a Butkus Award finalist (top linebacker in college football) and was named to several All-American teams. As the team's safeties coach in 2017 and 2018, Dickert coached all-conference stars Marcus Epps and Andrew Wingard.

"Dickert was more than a coach. He really enlightened me, not just with football schemes but with life after football," Halliburton told WyoSports. "He helped me overcome a lot of obstacles in the few years I've had him. He gave me hope. He was one of the only people that knew I could be one of the best safeties not just in the conference, but in the nation. Without him, I wouldn't be where I am today. I wouldn't be training for the pros.

"When it came to my success, he was the mastermind behind it all ... He was like an uncle. I'm sad he's leaving the Pokes but I'm happy for him and his family and I wish him nothing but the best. Washington State is getting a hell of a coach."

Reactions: triscuit one
I think all the answers were good and thought out well. There is no definitive answer, as we can only know once we see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT