ADVERTISEMENT

Moos to Nebraska

Leach is a great coach, was great at TT and now at WSU. That being said many of the husker fans have their hearts set on Frost. He's from Nebraska, won a championship while playing, worked his way up in successful programs, and has turned around a team(UCF) from a 0-12 team to top 20 in less than 2 years. I will be very disappointed if Nebraska doesn't put the full court press on to get frost after Riley is fired(which is hopefully soon). That being said, Leach is a big upgrade from what we currently have, but I don't know why he would leave a school that let's him be himself and win games. There is a lot of pressure to win and win now at Nebraska. After the last 15 years Nebraska needs a homerun hire and I don't know if we would give Leach the runway he needs to recruit the players needed for his system. They money isn't an issue here, I think we're paying Riley less than we did with Pelini. We gave Pelini 3.1mm/yr as a base salary, then he could've made another 1.5mm-2mm with incentives. Hell, we're still paying him 150k/month for another year or two on the buyout. Personally, I think most husker fans would rather throw 4mm/yr at Scott Frost over Mike Leach. Not taking anything away from who Leach is as a coach, but we want Frost.

I think it's got to be Frost. Moos is smart enough to give the fans what they want.

It's not show friends, it's show business.

Nothing would surprise me at this point, including Moos going full Benedict Arnold.

He's hasn't even made a press release or scheduled a presser, after ditching out of town like a thief in the night.

He OWES the fans some answers, but I'm doubting we'll get them.
He doesn't owe us anything.

Leach is a great coach, was great at TT and now at WSU. That being said many of the husker fans have their hearts set on Frost. He's from Nebraska, won a championship while playing, worked his way up in successful programs, and has turned around a team(UCF) from a 0-12 team to top 20 in less than 2 years. I will be very disappointed if Nebraska doesn't put the full court press on to get frost after Riley is fired(which is hopefully soon). That being said, Leach is a big upgrade from what we currently have, but I don't know why he would leave a school that let's him be himself and win games. There is a lot of pressure to win and win now at Nebraska. After the last 15 years Nebraska needs a homerun hire and I don't know if we would give Leach the runway he needs to recruit the players needed for his system. They money isn't an issue here, I think we're paying Riley less than we did with Pelini. We gave Pelini 3.1mm/yr as a base salary, then he could've made another 1.5mm-2mm with incentives. Hell, we're still paying him 150k/month for another year or two on the buyout. Personally, I think most husker fans would rather throw 4mm/yr at Scott Frost over Mike Leach. Not taking anything away from who Leach is as a coach, but we want Frost.
Scott Frost because why? Because he played there? Didn't Leach transform Oklahoma's offense from the stone ages to the future? Not sure why he wouldn't be a fit.

He doesn't owe us anything.

Sure he does. He was employed at a public institution, paid for by my tax dollars, tuition, and donations. A "farewell, kiss my ass" is the least he could, and should do.

Not that its going to happen, given that he slunk out like a fox in the henhouse, so whatever.

Sure he does. He was employed at a public institution, paid for by my tax dollars, tuition, and donations. A "farewell, kiss my ass" is the least he could, and should do.

Not that its going to happen, given that he slunk out like a fox in the henhouse, so whatever.
Sorry...they aren't just your tax dollars. He delivered on OUR tax dollars. He fixed the football program. As I tell people when they use the phrase..."that's the least he/she could do" is the least he/she could do is nothing. Which sounds like he met that definition. You may want him to say something, but he certainly doesn't owe us that despite using our tax dollars.

Last edited:
Let's do this thought exercise....

I offer you $1M more per year for 5 years OR you get to take a 2 mile walk to work every day. Which do you take? It's a pretty easy choice.
Longtime....not sure what you are saying....are you saying he would choose to forgo 2 mil a year over the environment he currently lives in because of "values"?

Longtime....not sure what you are saying....are you saying he would choose to forgo 2 mil a year over the environment he currently lives in because of "values"?
what i am saying is that money may no longer be his primary motivator, he's 56 years old, almost as old as I am. it just could be that he isn't in the all out for money mode at this stage of his life

what i am saying is that money may no longer be his primary motivator, he's 56 years old, almost as old as I am. it just could be that he isn't in the all out for money mode at this stage of his life
In terms of material things I would agree. But what about continuing setting up the legacy for his kids and grandkids. The extra 2 mil a year goes a long way.

Also, it is what the extra money represents. He is being paid what he is worth. The going rate for a top 10 coach is what? 4.5 to 5 a year? What is Leach getting paid? Just north of 3?

In terms of material things I would agree. But what about continuing setting up the legacy for his kids and grandkids. The extra 2 mil a year goes a long way.

Also, it is what the extra money represents. He is being paid what he is worth. The going rate for a top 10 coach is what? 4.5 to 5 a year? What is Leach getting paid? Just north of 3?

Then why hasn't he already left?

Then why is Nebraska the right team? Plenty of other schools could offer more than WSU.

And we both know your response was a cop out. Your iron laws haven't held up very well during Leach's tenure.
No such thing as iron laws. That is your fantasy. Why is Nebraska right? One, he knows the school and the history. Two, they are not competing in the state withe a better funded program that has a richer tradition. Three, the money and resources are available. Four, his boss just went there. Five, he would always be in contention for the Big 10 West. Six, he will get a 2 million dollar bump in salary. Seven, he knows how his new AD operates, and he doesn't know that at WSU. Eight-clearly WSU over extended themselves. Nine-the Nebraska program has a rich history. Ten- he can recruit the kids necessary out of Cali. Chicago, Denver and Texas to fill his roster. Eleven-did I mention his biggest advocate is now at Nebraska?

Now you tell me why he isn't a fit? Cause they want Scott Frost? We wanted Doba how did that work out. One is a known commodity, one has 18 games under his belt as a head coach.

Tell me why he wouldn't be a good fit other than Nebraska fans thinking it isn't a good fit because he is a bit eccentric?

No such thing as iron laws. That is your fantasy. Why is Nebraska right? One, he knows the school and the history. Two, they are not competing in the state withe a better funded program that has a richer tradition. Three, the money and resources are available. Four, his boss just went there. Five, he would always be in contention for the Big 10 West. Six, he will get a 2 million dollar bump in salary. Seven, he knows how his new AD operates, and he doesn't know that at WSU. Eight-clearly WSU over extended themselves. Nine-the Nebraska program has a rich history. Ten- he can recruit the kids necessary out of Cali. Chicago, Denver and Texas to fill his roster. Eleven-did I mention his biggest advocate is now at Nebraska?

Now you tell me why he isn't a fit? Cause they want Scott Frost? We wanted Doba how did that work out. One is a known commodity, one has 18 games under his belt as a head coach.

Tell me why he wouldn't be a good fit other than Nebraska fans thinking it isn't a good fit because he is a bit eccentric?

I'm not the one saying Leach will go to Nebraska, so I have no need to tell you anything. I think if he goes anywhere, it will not be Nebraska. The things you list can be said for other schools as well. Except for Moos. But Leach has been around awhile. He knows plenty of ADs. He knows who and where they would let him be himself.

Like I said, the iron laws have failed you.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
I'm not the one saying Leach will go to Nebraska, so I have no need to tell you anything. I think if he goes anywhere, it will not be Nebraska. The things you list can be said for other schools as well. Except for Moos. But Leach has been around awhile. He knows plenty of ADs. He knows who and where they would let him be himself.

Like I said, the iron laws have failed you.
No you are the one who is saying he won't. And the iron laws have always been your fantasy.

Well i truly hope that leach stays. This next recruiting class is one of the most important of Leach s tenure. It is shaping up quite nicely and a couple of juco linemen would top it off nicely. Leach stated that he wanted to have some say in who the next AD will be. That opens a window into retaining him, if Sgt Schultz is smart enough to capitalize on this.The early signing period will work in the cougs favor if Leach does not bolt.The cougs will be in a bowl game and Grinch will still be in place as will Manning and Phelps.Hopefully Nebraska will not offer him.

No you are the one who is saying he won't. And the iron laws have always been your fantasy.

You've devolved from your iron law mantra of coaches always follow the money like mindless mercenaries, to it has to be the right school, to me having to prove that Leach doesn't want to go to Nebraska.

Do you have anything here, or just the iron laws that have clearly failed you?

You've devolved from your iron law mantra of coaches always follow the money like mindless mercenaries, to it has to be the right school, to me having to prove that Leach doesn't want to go to Nebraska.

Do you have anything here, or just the iron laws that have clearly failed you?
Yeah I do. who said he would be a mercenary and leave for the money. I gave you about ten reasons why. I think what sets coaches apart from others is their egos. Mike Leach doesn't give a crap about what I think. Or others. Coaches in that position are built different. There are not a ton of Ken Bones out there for example with ego in check and doesn't care what others make. To me Bone is the oddity. He would have stayed at WSU for the rest of his career if he was successful. And it wouldn't have mattered if he was the lowest paid coach in the conference and he won two back to back Pac 12 titles. He wasnt wired that way.

Leach lives a simple life. Does he live in the largest estate in Pullman? My guess is no. Does he drive really expensive cars? Another guess is no. But I do think he cares about his value, what he is paid and what it represents. For example, do you think he will be overly thrilled when OSU hires a Beau Baldwin type and they pay him more than Leach is getting? Is he going to be happy with that?

I think Leach will go to Nebraska because of the AD, the resources and the history. You can make that in an imaginary iron law all you want. It doesn't exist.

Chipping in ,there are no "iron laws". We have all heard denials from coaches and then presto they are gone if the offer is sweet enough.I hope that Moos is eying someone else. I too think that if the money is right and situation with a good working relationship then the coaches will usually follow the money Right now it is speculation and we will have to watch the next moves.

Yeah I do. who said he would be a mercenary and leave for the money. I gave you about ten reasons why. I think what sets coaches apart from others is their egos. Mike Leach doesn't give a crap about what I think. Or others. Coaches in that position are built different. There are not a ton of Ken Bones out there for example with ego in check and doesn't care what others make. To me Bone is the oddity. He would have stayed at WSU for the rest of his career if he was successful. And it wouldn't have mattered if he was the lowest paid coach in the conference and he won two back to back Pac 12 titles. He wasnt wired that way.

Leach lives a simple life. Does he live in the largest estate in Pullman? My guess is no. Does he drive really expensive cars? Another guess is no. But I do think he cares about his value, what he is paid and what it represents. For example, do you think he will be overly thrilled when OSU hires a Beau Baldwin type and they pay him more than Leach is getting? Is he going to be happy with that?

I think Leach will go to Nebraska because of the AD, the resources and the history. You can make that in an imaginary iron law all you want. It doesn't exist.

Go back and read your own posts if you need to.

...and Texas Tech and their rich tradition and resources? He seems to relish beating up the "bully" not being the bully. Pretty much all of your reasons why he would go to Nebraska are why he never would have come to WSU in the first place.

It wouldn't surprise me if WSU was Leach's final coaching job but it also wouldn't surprise me if he decided to go coach rugby in New Zealand or retired after this season, bought a boat, and sailed the 7 seas. I don't think anyone is under the delusion he is a WSU lifer but following Moos and to Nebraska doesn't feel like a Leach move. That's just me though.

...and Texas Tech and their rich tradition and resources? He seems to relish beating up the "bully" not being the bully. Pretty much all of your reasons why he would go to Nebraska are why he never would have come to WSU in the first place.

It wouldn't surprise me if WSU was Leach's final coaching job but it also wouldn't surprise me if he decided to go coach rugby in New Zealand or retired after this season, bought a boat, and sailed the 7 seas. I don't think anyone is under the delusion he is a WSU lifer but following Moos and to Nebraska doesn't feel like a Leach move. That's just me though.
He isn't Jim Walden that relished in being the ultimate underdog. He came to WSU in part cause no one would hire him. Then he discovered it was a good fit. If he isn't fired by Tech do you remotely believe he would be at WU.

He did interview with the UW back in I believe 08. It doesnt seem like he is opposed to having resources.

How about the fact that it would be weird if Leach followed Moos to Nebraska? Are they a package deal or something? Is that why they hired Moos? To lure Leach there? I’ve never seen anything like that before, and I’ve seen most things.

Leach sounded authentic to me at the press conference. Not only what he said, but just the fact that he stood there for 25 minutes answering questions, including those from reporters in Nebraska. Didn’t seem like he has anything bad to say about Schulz and he made it clear he’d like input on the new AD.

Maybe I’m missing something here, but Leach doesn’t strike me as a guy to bait and switch us like that.

Reactions: EdmondsCoug
He isn't Jim Walden that relished in being the ultimate underdog. He came to WSU in part cause no one would hire him. Then he discovered it was a good fit. If he isn't fired by Tech do you remotely believe he would be at WU.

He did interview with the UW back in I believe 08. It doesnt seem like he is opposed to having resources.
He's not the "ultimate underdog" at WSU with the current facilities and he's left alone. I don't think he was going to leave Tech. He supposedly showed up to the UW interview in shorts, flip flops, and a Hawaiian shirt and that was that. I probably exaggerated but the point is so far in his career as head coach Leach hasn't gone after the the "big gig". He wants enough to want the resources to compete.

No Ed you don't. What you need to do is quit with your non-stop negative BS about how Leach is gonna leave. Just shut up once in a while, OK?
No Ed you don't. What you need to do is quit with your non-stop negative BS about how Leach is gonna leave. Just shut up once in a while, OK?
Why is it negative? I hope I am 100% incorrect. Leach is perfect for WSU. But to think Leach isn't on the short list is a bit naïve. The way he spoke of Moos as the best AD he has ever met, that we have to get an indoor facility (which it doesn't seem like we can afford) there seems like there are things that point in that direction.

Having a coach being desired isn't negative. It would be extremely sad if Leach left. And I find it more likely he would take that job than others that will open up.

Having a coach being desired isn't negative. It would be extremely sad if Leach left. And I find it more likely he would take that job than others that will open up.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Moos will give Riley another year. Many Husker fans are worried about that.

Last edited:
Listened to the Seatle ESPN guys on the way home from Seattle yesterday. They felt that Moos would let Riley stay for a year and then bring in someone new. They felt that Leach would leave at year end (but not to Nebraska). I gotta admit that I was shocked that they were actually discussing Wazzu since they are usually very pro UDub.

Speaking as a Husker alum living in the Palouse I can tell you that 90% of the folks on message boards are fixated on Scott Frost as the next head coach. Of course the only people that matter are the $$$$$ donors of the Husker world. Leach is a known due to his time at Texas Tech. And please don't confuse Bo Pelini with Leach. I'm not a big fan of Leach but Pelini was not only arrogant but belligerent to the Husker fans. Pelini actually told UNL to fire him and that the fans could .... off. Bo got his wish.

My History with successful WSU coaches ( Erickson Sampson Bennett) suggests Leach will move on sooner rather than later. A lot more Power 5 schools would jump all over him now than when Moos brought him in.

Hope I am totally wrong. I think we are only a couple of years away from becoming a perennial top 25 program not unlike K State became under Snyder.

My History with successful WSU coaches ( Erickson Sampson Bennett) suggests Leach will move on sooner rather than later. A lot more Power 5 schools would jump all over him now than when Moos brought him in.

Hope I am totally wrong
Yeeeeaaaaaaah. I gotta agree. I think the idea that CML is retiring at WSU is based on hope. Nothing else. Certainly could happen but I think WSU fans need to realize that CML and WSU is like any other school now. Coaches move on. And hopefully CML will have built WSU up to attract another great coach.

Like Ava, I hope I'm wrong but I see the odds saying CML leaves prior to retirement.

Hope I am totally wrong. I think we are only a couple of years away from becoming a perennial top 25 program not unlike K State became under Snyder.

Does Leach want a national title? He is competitive but if he would be content with a Pac championship I see him staying. He can win one or two there.

I know this is the Coug board but I like the posters here and I have a fractured tibia so I have time on my hands. If I annoy yuiu just say so and I'll stay on Soundoff and my home board.

I'm still chuckling about the conspiracy theories floating about....That Nebraska needed to hire a 67 year old AD in order to coax Mike Leach to become their next football coach. If that's indeed what's going on, Nebraska has major top-down problems that need to be addressed; particularly on the heels of what looks like a bad Mike Riley hire.

And no, I don't think any of this is the case. Nebraska is still a superpower in the collegiate football world. They might hire Leach, but what a weird way to go about it.

Reactions: froropmkr72
I'm still chuckling about the conspiracy theories floating about....That Nebraska needed to hire a 67 year old AD in order to coax Mike Leach to become their next football coach. If that's indeed what's going on, Nebraska has major top-down problems that need to be addressed; particularly on the heels of what looks like a bad Mike Riley hire.

And no, I don't think any of this is the case. Nebraska is still a superpower in the collegiate football world. They might hire Leach, but what a weird way to go about it.

What conspiracy theory. Sam Jankovich knew Dennis Erickson and hired him to a job that Erickson would not have been in line for other than knowing the AD. HE had .500 work at Wyoming and at WSU. Not the kind of stock you would expect at Miami.

There are 30 candidates for the WSU men's basketball program and Sterk selected Bone because of his familiarity with him. Moos tabbed Kent.

Does that mean they "hired" Moos to bring in Leach. No. They could have easily "tabbed" him to get Chip with that logic. But to ignore the connection and to ignore the fact that a lot of hires are because of familiarity isn't a conspiracy. Look at Leach's staff. Yes, he has gone "outside" of his talent tree, but many of his hires are people who he is familiar with and trusts their work. And yes he has gone outside his network as well.

My guess is Nebraska brought in Moos to attract the best candidate possible. If they thought Frost was a slam dunk do you really need to bring in an AD for that? Food for thought

Yes, completely unnecessary.

What conspiracy theory. Sam Jankovich knew Dennis Erickson and hired him to a job that Erickson would not have been in line for other than knowing the AD. HE had .500 work at Wyoming and at WSU. Not the kind of stock you would expect at Miami.

There are 30 candidates for the WSU men's basketball program and Sterk selected Bone because of his familiarity with him. Moos tabbed Kent.

Does that mean they "hired" Moos to bring in Leach. No. They could have easily "tabbed" him to get Chip with that logic. But to ignore the connection and to ignore the fact that a lot of hires are because of familiarity isn't a conspiracy. Look at Leach's staff. Yes, he has gone "outside" of his talent tree, but many of his hires are people who he is familiar with and trusts their work. And yes he has gone outside his network as well.

My guess is Nebraska brought in Moos to attract the best candidate possible. If they thought Frost was a slam dunk do you really need to bring in an AD for that? Food for thought

Well you would want an AD established so Frost knows who his boss is going to be. I imagine Moos will tell him you turn this around it doesn't matter who your boss is, here's 5 million, work your magic. If that's even who Moos has in mind. Moos might swing for Chip Kelly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT