ADVERTISEMENT

Morning after ramblings.....

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Ugly game, but we won. I thought for sure we were going to Coug it. 11-2. Doesn't matter how we got there. How many times have we lost when we should have won over the years?

Targeting calls (should have been a 3rd) were right on. You lower your head and hit the QB in the head with the crown of your helmet. You hit his head so hard his helmet flies off. And their coach goes ballistic? He was classless. And his horse teeth rival the mutt coach.Textbook targeting both (all 3) times. $5 says Minshew had birds singing in his head and probable concussion(s) before it was all over.

CML needs to evolve a little bit. Everybody else has. Stubborn SOB. But he's our SOB and I'll take him.

Defense got beat pretty bad, but came through when it counted. TO's saved them and us.

Props to ISU and their fans. They were tough and deserved a win. Just not last night.

Patmon is the bomb.

Not sure who needs to win/lose from here on out to vault us into the top 10 but here's hoping for it.

A healthy dose of Bailey's in my coffee this morning. Go Cougs.

Oh, and go Ohio State. Hope they pummel the undeserving mutts into the turf.

Ugly game, but we won. I thought for sure we were going to Coug it. 11-2. Doesn't matter how we got there. How many times have we lost when we should have won over the years?

Targeting calls (should have been a 3rd) were right on. You lower your head and hit the QB in the head with the crown of your helmet. You hit his head so hard his helmet flies off. And their coach goes ballistic? He was classless. And his horse teeth rival the mutt coach.Textbook targeting both (all 3) times. $5 says Minshew had birds singing in his head and probable concussion(s) before it was all over.

CML needs to evolve a little bit. Everybody else has. Stubborn SOB. But he's our SOB and I'll take him.

Defense got beat pretty bad, but came through when it counted. TO's saved them and us.

Props to ISU and their fans. They were tough and deserved a win. Just not last night.

Patmon is the bomb.

Not sure who needs to win/lose from here on out to vault us into the top 10 but here's hoping for it.

A healthy dose of Bailey's in my coffee this morning. Go Cougs.

Oh, and go Ohio State. Hope they pummel the undeserving mutts into the turf.

For me, it's great that our program has gotten to the point where we can gut out an ugly win against a pretty darned good football team. Iowa State brought exactly what we expected.....an aggressive defense, a plucky QB who doesn't know he isn't supposed to throw some of those passes, a great wideout, and a stud running back. I've been watching the Cyclones all year and I had told my co-worker that I expected them to be surprised by our team speed and trail by double digits in the first half, but they'd settle in and get some big plays from their wideout.

Agree that if Leach wants a team that can compete for the very top level, we need some changes, but the sad truth is that it may be that we just need to be patient and wait for more talent. We are getting better every year and we now have skill position players that are on par with those of almost any other school, but there are times when the trenches just aren't good enough. I got a great picture in the 4th quarter where Leach was absolutely destroying the OL verbally after one of our drives ended.

I'm thrilled with the season given the pre-season expectations and grateful that Minshew found his way to Pullman. As much as I appreciated Falk.....we lose last night with him under center. Minshew was the difference and certainly deserved the offensive MVP award.

For me, it's great that our program has gotten to the point where we can gut out an ugly win against a pretty darned good football team. Iowa State brought exactly what we expected.....an aggressive defense, a plucky QB who doesn't know he isn't supposed to throw some of those passes, a great wideout, and a stud running back. I've been watching the Cyclones all year and I had told my co-worker that I expected them to be surprised by our team speed and trail by double digits in the first half, but they'd settle in and get some big plays from their wideout.

Agree that if Leach wants a team that can compete for the very top level, we need some changes, but the sad truth is that it may be that we just need to be patient and wait for more talent. We are getting better every year and we now have skill position players that are on par with those of almost any other school, but there are times when the trenches just aren't good enough. I got a great picture in the 4th quarter where Leach was absolutely destroying the OL verbally after one of our drives ended.

I'm thrilled with the season given the pre-season expectations and grateful that Minshew found his way to Pullman. As much as I appreciated Falk.....we lose last night with him under center. Minshew was the difference and certainly deserved the offensive MVP award.

Could not agree more that Minshew was really the difference last night. First off Falk never would have survived those first half head shots. But 2 plays stood out where he made a real difference . First was that scramble run for a TD. That was a FG attempt last year. The other was that improv flip pass to Martin. Again that was a long. FG attempt last year.

Reactions: earldacoug

Minshew was not only the difference last night, but all season. Strongly feel we lose at least 4 with Falk under center, if not 5. Few appreciate how many more sacks, inexplicable INTs, and failures to extend plays with shovel passes etc we would have seen. LF was a gamer but completely lacked Minshew's ability to improvise when reads were covered. That was the difference in at least a small handful of games.

Minshew was not only the difference last night, but all season. Strongly feel we lose at least 4 with Falk under center, if not 5. Few appreciate how many more sacks, inexplicable INTs, and failures to extend plays with shovel passes etc we would have seen. LF was a gamer but completely lacked Minshew's ability to improvise when reads were covered. That was the difference in at least a small handful of games.
Disagree. WSU had perhaps the best set of receivers that they have ever had. They had their best offensive line that they have had since Leach has been in Pullman. Plus, the defense was really good this season, better than it was three and two years ago when they won 9 games and 8 games respectively.

I don't know if they win 11, but they do win at least 9 or what they have 2 of the last 3 years. Also, don't forget the conference was down this year.

Disagree. WSU had perhaps the best set of receivers that they have ever had. They had their best offensive line that they have had since Leach has been in Pullman. Plus, the defense was really good this season, better than it was three and two years ago when they won 9 games and 8 games respectively.

I don't know if they win 11, but they do win at least 9 or what they have 2 of the last 3 years. Also, don't forget the conference was down this year.
The conference being down is a separate point since we're talking about this year. Comparing defenses across seasons is problematic for the same reasons. But here are your 2 additional losses this year:
  • Utah: Minshew runs it in 10 yards for 7. We win by 4.
  • ISU: Minshew spins out of trouble and runs it in from 7 yards for 7. We win by 2.
Note that in his best year, Luke Falk netted -68 yards rushing. In his final year, he netted -147 yards. By contrast, in his first and only year, Minshew netted +119 yards. He had as many rushing TDs in his only year (4) as Falk had in his entire WSU career.

My personal contention is that additional W/L separation would come from Minshew's superior ability to improvise. When Falk got to his 4th read and nobody was open, a sack and substantial loss of yardage was imminent. With Minshew we're more likely to see a scramble, a broken play pass completion or a throwaway.

Chip, I don't always agree with your reasoning, but this time it is hard to fault. Minshew was certainly good for at least 2 wins over what we would have otherwise done, and that almost has to be true of any quarterback we've had since the Husky Killer.

Chip, I don't always agree with your reasoning, but this time it is hard to fault. Minshew was certainly good for at least 2 wins over what we would have otherwise done, and that almost has to be true of any quarterback we've had since the Husky Killer.
My 2019 resolution is to bring the % of posts made while drunk below 50%. Expect we'll see closer to eye to eye then.

The conference being down is a separate point since we're talking about this year. Comparing defenses across seasons is problematic for the same reasons. But here are your 2 additional losses this year:
  • Utah: Minshew runs it in 10 yards for 7. We win by 4.
  • ISU: Minshew spins out of trouble and runs it in from 7 yards for 7. We win by 2.
Note that in his best year, Luke Falk netted -68 yards rushing. In his final year, he netted -147 yards. By contrast, in his first and only year, Minshew netted +119 yards. He had as many rushing TDs in his only year (4) as Falk had in his entire WSU career.

My personal contention is that additional W/L separation would come from Minshew's superior ability to improvise. When Falk got to his 4th read and nobody was open, a sack and substantial loss of yardage was imminent. With Minshew we're more likely to see a scramble, a broken play pass completion or a throwaway.

I misinterpreted what you wrote. I had thought you meant 4-5 "additional" losses. If you noticed, I said they would have won at least 9. They would have been good this season if Falk, Hilinski or Minshew were the QB. How good is open to interpretation.

One last thing, getting Pelluer back turned out to be huge.

I misinterpreted what you wrote. I had thought you meant 4-5 "additional" losses. If you noticed, I said they would have won at least 9. They would have been good this season if Falk, Hilinski or Minshew were the QB. How good is open to interpretation.

Yes, yes, yes. One thing CML has done is increased our depth so it isn't about rebuilding after we have an incredible player. So I think we have some younger boys that are ready to fill in, but having him back was huge. AND I love his story. A true Coug.

I totally underestimated how big it was to have him back. I thought he’d plateaued somewhat as a player and would mostly be valuable as a leader. His play was outstanding and his leadership was more than I could have imagined.

I don’t remember the details but I believe Pelluer was one of the ones who found #3 on that tragic day and they were also roommates. He could have high tailed it out of WSU at that time and no one could have blamed him. Instead he stuck around and helped those kids heal and led them both on and off the field.

4th Generation Coug - #47 is going down as one of my all time Favs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT