ADVERTISEMENT

Morningside 5 (Donminic Ellison)

Rich Lewis

Hall Of Fame
Nov 7, 2001
ESPN is airing a documentary titled Morningside 5. It updates the original documentary on the Morningside HS basketball team of '92 to 25 years later. I watched it because one of my favorite players, Donminic Ellison, was one of the Morningside 5. Sadly there was a lot of lost potential, especially with Ellison and Stais Boseman. Even so all of them except Dwight Curry have lead relatively productive lives. Donminic returned to school eventually earning a MBA and Stais, who is counseling underprivileged kids in Minnesota, apparently has got it together. Gave me another reason to dislike Kevin Eastman. Might be worth a watch if you're interested.

I didn't like Eastman either, Ellison situation not much different than Reggie Moore

I liked Eastman's stated philosophy he just was a horrible head coach. I don't want to "start something" but I would put Bone in that heap as well. Eastman found his place with the Celtics. Hopefully Bone can as well but he hasn't seemed to find a stable spot.

Good to see Ellison returned to school and has a grad degree. For some it just takes a little time to figure things out.

Its never simple. Eastman was a bad fit in Pullman, and his recruiting was bad. On the other hand, I thought he got more out of Ellison, Fontaine, Hendrickson this first 2 years than Sampson would have.

Its never simple. Eastman was a bad fit in Pullman, and his recruiting was bad. On the other hand, I thought he got more out of Ellison, Fontaine, Hendrickson this first 2 years than Sampson would have.

Eastman was/is not a head coach. He's a technician and not an inspiring person. A head coach needs to be inspiring and must relate to his young players. I guess the only other type of successful coach is basically feared...and there are a few of those out there. Eastman was neither inspiring nor could he relate to his players. In that sense, he was similar to Bone.

By the way, interesting movie on Ellison's team. He lacked maturity and needed a coach who would push him and relate to him. I'm glad he has found success in life and is working to maximize his potential in the professional world.

Last edited:
Eastman was very arrogant, thought he and his system could win with well coached average players. Those days were gone before Eastman showed up at WSU and are even farther gone now. There is just to big of a gap between the elite players /good players and the average players he recruited. I knew we were in trouble when we played GU in Spokane with our freshman point guard Blake Pengally and GU had Matt Santangelo. Now we might have grown used to GU recruiting better players than us but back then I remember being shocked how much better Santangelo was than Pengally

Dom was one of my favorites as well. Nice to see life turned out well. It was much more the AD than the coach in his troubles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT