ADVERTISEMENT

Moving on to DC

Coaching, evaluation, retention, development. There are a lot of issues on defense.
Culture as well...… I don't think the defensive coaches have fully committed to carrying out Leach's philosophies when it comes off the field behavior.

I'm not going to speak for Ed on this one, but the losing didn't bother a certain portion of the fan base because they'd just smugly pull every day of sunshine out of the 9-40 era.

Remember how we bet the Huskies in OT to clinch their 0-12 season?
Remember Alex Hoffman Ellis getting a couple of pick six TD's to help us beat SMU in OT?
Remember how good we looked in Corvallis in 2010?
Remember how close we got to a bowl in 2011?
Remember Travis Longs stint as an UDFA? He was a perfect example of a scrappy Coug.

The low expectations of these fans were impossible to disappoint, largely because Wulff fit their definition of what it meant to be a Coug. 1) No one saw him as a threat. 2) He really loved being a Coug. 3) He was never going to voluntarily leave.

Leach: 1) is seen by everyone as a threat so folks try to tear him down every chance they get. 2) Leach likes being left alone and coaching. You don't get the sense he wants to retire in Pullman. 3) Leach is gone if he is unhappy with how he's being treated.

e Town just come out of the closet. You don’t have to hide behind a number two screen name . Proudly be who you are .

Leach has never been “mistreated”. He has had less scrutiny than other big jobs paying market wage .

Of course there is Ed. The defensive coordinator walked out in the middle of the season 2 years after he himself replaced one of the best young defensive coordinators in college football.

The defensive coaching completely imploded, so yes, there is a coaching problem on that side of the ball.
Of course there is Ed. The defensive coordinator walked out in the middle of the season 2 years after he himself replaced one of the best young defensive coordinators in college football.

The defensive coaching completely imploded, so yes, there is a coaching problem on that side of the ball.

But did they forget how to coach between 18 and 19? They were respectable in 18 . People were saying Claeys made great adjustments .

I am not sure one can look simply at point total and say they struggled . UCLA has a lot of help from two other phases giving up 60 plus.

But ASU was struggling offensively and we made them look really good . Same with Oregon State .

e Town just come out of the closet. You don’t have to hide behind a number two screen name . Proudly be who you are .

Leach has never been “mistreated”. He has had less scrutiny than other big jobs paying market wage .

I'm sorry the holiday season is so painful for you.

I'm sorry the holiday season is so painful for you.

Didn’t know it was ...all good here thanks for your concern. Just getting Santa pics . Now there was a small concern with the dog two weeks ago, tweaked something in his back, but other than that fairly uneventful holiday season. Thanks again for caring.

Last edited:
Chug... if I may. I picked the players that were at ground zero when Leach took over. Not cherry picking . If Wulff for some reason left after a sixth season and had a dline headed by Adam Coerper and Darren Markel was the star starting linebacker that would be my reference point.

I would differ that the dline in 2012 was vastly different in talent as it is now. I would tell you 2015 16 and 17 the dlines were very good. But I didn’t use that as a reference point because it doesn’t mean squat for 19 and 20.

Start with corners and move out. Do we have any cb that is at the top 6 in the conference at that position . As a group how would you rank them . What have you seen from Langford that speaks starting cb? What have you personally seen from Djibril that tells you Pac 12 talent?

My whole argument was predicated on potential, and potential not yet reached. Thus, that good coaching could quickly help us get back from shit tier to decent. The fact that other people wanted these guys on their teams, tells me many are In agreement of them being capable of being decent. I know it’s not an end all be all, but I think it’s safe to say we we have SOME talent that is being poorly coached, and more talent then what was on the field 8-11.

Now talent to be top 4 D in the Pac12, no probably not. Talent to be serviceable much more then we have been, yes. But our current roster is probably the worst it’s been in a while relating to DB spot, so somewhat comparable to Wulff.

My whole argument was predicated on potential, and potential not yet reached. Thus, that good coaching could quickly help us get back from shit tier to decent. The fact that other people wanted these guys on their teams, tells me many are In agreement of them being capable of being decent. I know it’s not an end all be all, but I think it’s safe to say we we have SOME talent that is being poorly coached, and more talent then what was on the field 8-11.

Now talent to be top 4 D in the Pac12, no probably not. Talent to be serviceable much more then we have been, yes. But our current roster is probably the worst it’s been in a while relating to DB spot, so somewhat comparable to Wulff.

I see some potential in Brown for example. But didn’t we say the same thing for Dom Slivels? Faieve Faieve (sic) people thought had potential . Our best DB was strong and is done. The dline couldn’t mount a pass rush and Oregon state for example ran all over them . If you tell me Kwete can be Herc like and dominant that changes the entire scenario . I fear we may be lower than what we thought in terms of talent .

McDougle, Woods, Ross, Ron Stone, Hicks, Brown, Nunn, Taylor, Djbril, Katoanga, Crowder, Kwete, Sheetz.

^all guys who could make an impact with proper coaching and development. We will be thin though.

I mean if we just teach tackling appropriately we’re probably 9-3 this year?UCLA ASU and Oregon come to mind. So again with proper coaching we can be serviceable.

Are you going to follow your own advice and proudly be who you are?

McDougle, Woods, Ross, Ron Stone, Hicks, Brown, Nunn, Taylor, Djbril, Katoanga, Crowder, Kwete, Sheetz.

^all guys who could make an impact with proper coaching and development. We will be thin though.

I mean if we just teach tackling appropriately we’re probably 9-3 this year?UCLA ASU and Oregon come to mind. So again with proper coaching we can be serviceable.

Wulff would have declared all of those guys Heisman winners and locks for the first round.

I see some potential in Brown for example. But didn’t we say the same thing for Dom Slivels? Faieve Faieve (sic) people thought had potential . Our best DB was strong and is done. The dline couldn’t mount a pass rush and Oregon state for example ran all over them . If you tell me Kwete can be Herc like and dominant that changes the entire scenario . I fear we may be lower than what we thought in terms of talent .

Obviously your problem with Brown is that Wulff didn’t recruit him. Otherwise you’d be spewing magic eye for talent.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN

Obviously your problem with Brown is that Wulff didn’t recruit him. Otherwise you’d be spewing magic eye for talent.

Did I say Brown wasn’t talented? I think he is very talented . But I am not sure he is at the right spot for where he can make the biggest impact. Was he impactful as a linebacker ? Why would they play Rogers over him ? Why wouldn’t he get even more reps ?

Are you going to follow your own advice and proudly be who you are?

Let’s start with Lamont... do you believe he over performed or underperformed his third year of practice under his belt ?

Wulff would have declared all of those guys Heisman winners and locks for the first round.

Maybe he would have puffed them up to first rounders . He would have a 1-11 chance of being right based on past history . But let’s keep looking back at what he did and didn’t do versus the state of where we are .

Is it your contention we are two players away and a good two coaches away from being representable on defense ?

Let’s start with Lamont... do you believe he over performed or underperformed his third year of practice under his belt ?

No we can stop. I’m not sure what you want me to say anymore. I’m not interested in talking about specific players development arc through coaches. Generally we have decent guys, if we get some decent coaches, we can be decent.

And one thing is forsure, our worst years with Leach rival Wulffs very best in talent, performance, all of it.

No we can stop. I’m not sure what you want me to say anymore. I’m not interested in talking about specific players development arc through coaches. Generally we have decent guys, if we get some decent coaches, we can be decent.

And one thing is forsure, our worst years with Leach rival Wulffs very best in talent, performance, all of it.

Fair enough. You have faith in young players, some we have not seen and they will make a leap to make us competitive on that side of the ball with the right coaching , which we seemed to have had in 2018 and they simply forgot how to coach .

And I hope you are correct that we are closer to 2017 defense than 2014.

Read my comment. Read it again if you’re confused on what it means.

Maybe he would have puffed them up to first rounders . He would have a 1-11 chance of being right based on past history . But let’s keep looking back at what he did and didn’t do versus the state of where we are .

Is it your contention we are two players away and a good two coaches away from being representable on defense ?

My contention is that you’re a retarded troll. Prove me wrong.

Read my comment. Read it again if you’re confused on what it means.

Why would I reread what you write, I am not confused about anything . The above was in response to Chug and what he wrote about Lamonte.

Why would I reread what you write, I am not confused about anything . The above was in response to Chug and what he wrote about Lamonte.

You’re the guy that constantly claims to have forgotten a word in a post, or gotten something wrong, or can’t spell, or can’t type.

You won’t change my mind about being a retarded troll unless you quit posting like a retarded troll. Your move.

Again, this "retarded troll" cares more about the crap he just stepped in than what you think. So no, I won't quit anything. I am sorry you are butt hurt because I think the defense played to a 2014 level. I still will always support Leach and hope his defense plays better.

Again, this "retarded troll" cares more about the crap he just stepped in than what you think. So no, I won't quit anything. I am sorry you are butt hurt because I think the defense played to a 2014 level. I still will always support Leach and hope his defense plays better.

You shouldn’t step in crap.

I’m not butthurt about anything. You’re still butthurt that Wulff got fired.

You shouldn’t step in crap.

I’m not butthurt about anything. You’re still butthurt that Wulff got fired.

So let’s do some math. Say Leach has fired 10 defensive coaches in a 20 year career . That is 5 coaches a year times 20. He had 100 opportunities to fire the coaches . He has fired less than 10 defensive coaches so math would tell me Shaver has a 90% chance of being regained .

But what narrative is it you want me to tell? He is hard on defensive coaches?

I haven’t thought about Wulff other than when people bring up his name. Not sure how many times I have to tell you this I said in 2010 to a member of the board they should fire Wulff and hire Leaxh. . So no butt hurt here . Glad Wulff got another gig tho .

Last edited:
So let’s do some math. Say Leach has fired 10 defensive coaches in a 20 year career . That is 5 coaches a year times 20. He had 100 opportunities to fire the coaches . He has fired less than 10 defensive coaches so math would tell me Shaver has a 90% chance of being regained .

But what narrative is it you want me to tell? He is hard on defensive coaches?

I haven’t thought about Wulff other than when people bring up his name. Not sure how many times I have to tell you this I said in 2010 to a member of the board they should fire Wulff and hire Leaxh. . So no butt hurt here . Glad Wulff got another gig tho .

How many lies are you going to tell this holiday season? Leach has fired more than two coaches.

Damn I was hoping not to re-insert myself but I doubt Leach has had many positional coaches with a unit perform as bad as McBath and Shaver. Just my opinion. The last unit that did, our special teams a few years back, got canned. I wouldn’t say it’s 90% he’s retained but I’d guess it’s at least 50-50 and more like 25% assuming any new DC would watch film and see a unit that was horribly coached.

How many lies are you going to tell this holiday season? Leach has fired more than two coaches.

Again, from someone within the ADepartment he fired one defensive coach prior to Breske. I even hedged and said if he fired 10 defensive coaches that means Shaver and others have a 90% chance of being retained .

Sorry you see it as lies and means so much to you. I have never said he hasn’t made changes or he won’t , I am saying based on his history it isn’t likely .

Leach hires his position coaches. He believes in them . And his next DC will have to work with who Leaxh has hired or will hire .

Again, from someone within the ADepartment he fired one defensive coach prior to Breske. I even hedged and said if he fired 10 defensive coaches that means Shaver and others have a 90% chance of being retained .

Sorry you see it as lies and means so much to you. I have never said he hasn’t made changes or he won’t , I am saying based on his history it isn’t likely .

Leach hires his position coaches. He believes in them . And his next DC will have to work with who Leaxh has hired or will hire .

The last time the defense struggled this much Leach fired half his defensive staff plus the special teams coach who was his best friend. The OLB coach before Manning also got the axe when Breske and Russell went bye bye.

So you’re not going to stop lying. You’re not even getting coal this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT