ADVERTISEMENT

Moving on to DC

If we’re going to analyze and scrutinize player development and what could have beens, we absolutely have to being Jalen Thompson’s name into this conversation.

Our best defensive player is starting for the Arizona Cardinals. Had he been eligible, I think we would have been an 8-9 win team. The void he left was literally the single worst thing that could have happened to our defense. We lost his talent and his captaining of the back 7.

If we’re going to analyze and scrutinize player development and what could have beens, we absolutely have to being Jalen Thompson’s name into this conversation.

Our best defensive player is starting for the Arizona Cardinals. Had he been eligible, I think we would have been an 8-9 win team. The void he left was literally the single worst thing that could have happened to our defense. We lost his talent and his captaining of the back 7.

He is the best safety since...I better be careful and say Erik Coleman. Lamont would be in consideration.

Been reading through this verbal fracas and finally decided to add my two cents worth. The possibility of CML firing anyone on the current defensive staff is, I believe, moot. Leach will put a new DC in place then step back and allow that person to assemble his own staff. Whoever he keeps or lets go will be up to him. Personally, as long as Phelps is retained, I am content. Leach won't be firing anyone on the defensive side of the program.

He is the best safety since...I better be careful and say Erik Coleman. Lamont would be in consideration.

Coming into Spring ball, if you were to ask who the player we couldn’t afford to lose on defense, it was Thompson.

With him this season, we beat UCLA, ASU, and possibly Oregon and/or Cal.

For all of the analysis on how far our team slipped this season, we were 1 player away from talking about another 9 win season.

Been reading through this verbal fracas and finally decided to add my two cents worth. The possibility of CML firing anyone on the current defensive staff is, I believe, moot. Leach will put a new DC in place then step back and allow that person to assemble his own staff. Whoever he keeps or lets go will be up to him. Personally, as long as Phelps is retained, I am content. Leach won't be firing anyone on the defensive side of the program.
Still holding off on my 2 cents.

Reactions: mister noon
Coming into Spring ball, if you were to ask who the player we couldn’t afford to lose on defense, it was Thompson.

With him this season, we beat UCLA, ASU, and possibly Oregon and/or Cal.

For all of the analysis on how far our team slipped this season, we were 1 player away from talking about another 9 win season.
agree, also
claeys moving every player to a different position after thompsons dismissal threw the defense into chaos

Reactions: cougcowboy
X Cooper, Paulo, Long, Pole, Huffman Kaufusi , Mizel, Simmons , Buchanon Horton , Taylor T.... not sure they are overwhelmed in terms of talent the likes of J Rogers , Hobbs etc . Not sure our production was all that different . Then again there may be talent we have yet to see .

Cooper, Paulo, Pole, Horton & Bucannon (spelled correctly) played at least half their careers for Leach.

Tailulu played his entire career for Leach.

And Kaufusi & Mizell sucked.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgibbons
A fair number of our defensive assistants, up until now, have really done great work, which is probably why they keep getting poached in a way that hurts the program more than offensive assistants would (that side of the ball is Leach's operation and I trust him to find people that will help him run it to his satisfaction and that it will generally be effective). Without Wilson in particular I think the D is just lost. Losing him and Grinch was a killer

Cooper, Paulo, Pole, Horton & Bucannon (spelled correctly) played at least half their careers for Leach.

Leach's strength and conditioning program cannot be overstated for what it did for some of these players. Deone Bucannon in particular went from being mediocre to a beast.

CJ Mizell was the one freak talent Wulff got. But he was a knucklehead.

Kaufusi sucked. Mizell has talent but not brains.

Or the All American, 1st round draft pick we had just 5 years ago.

I should have probably qualified it. Deone was an the box safety. He would light you up. He was maybe average in coverage . His strengths were maximized and weakness minimized . Thompson was able to cover guys almost like a corner, he would hit you coming up for the run and covered a ton of ground.

The second reason is I wanted to get away from Wulff talk and since he was a wulff recruit :)

Last edited:
I should have probably qualified it. Drone was an the box safety. He would light you up. He was maybe average in coverage . His strengths were maximized and weakness minimized . Thompson was able to cover guys almost like a corner, he would hit you coming up for the run and covered a ton of ground.

The second reason is I wanted to get away from Wulff talk and since he was a wulff recruit :)

A drone is an unmanned vehicle.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Leach's strength and conditioning program cannot be overstated for what it did for some of these players. Deone Bucannon in particular went from being mediocre to a beast.

CJ Mizell was the one freak talent Wulff got. But he was a knucklehead.

Well..what is harder in Pullman, coaching up talent or getting Pac 12 talent in Pullman? Talent acquisition is by far the hardest thing to do in Pullman. Look no farther than interior dlinemen...historically it has been hit and miss.

Well..what is harder in Pullman, coaching up talent or getting Pac 12 talent in Pullman? Talent acquisition is by far the hardest thing to do in Pullman. Look no farther than interior dlinemen...historically it has been hit and miss.

Oh look. An Iron Law. Thanks for the new and refreshing take. I will say it’s a slight step up from your “unintentional missteps.”

Oh look. An Iron Law. Thanks for the new and refreshing take. I will say it’s a slight step up from your “unintentional missteps.”

Glad to hear a step up. Means so much to me. No such thing as iron laws. Goes to probability. Like when UW plays us...there are no iron laws that says the next play is a pass, but probability says if you play pass every down, 90% of the time you will be correct.

Glad to hear a step up. Means so much to me. No such thing as iron laws. Goes to probability. Like when UW plays us...there are no iron laws that says the next play is a pass, but probability says if you play pass every down, 90% of the time you will be correct.
Actually it would be 100%

Wulff didn't recruit much talent. Mizell was the only player who wowed with physical talent. Bucannon, and most of the other players you mention, werent anything special until he got into the Leach strength and conditioning program.

It's a different animal now. Wulff was starting kids on as true freshman in defense who would be redshirting at other P5 programs. Players like Justus, Skyler, Archie and Hicks would all have been starting for Wulff.

Is it an Iron Law that there is no such thing as Iron Laws? Interesting.

Is it an Iron Law that there is no such thing as Iron Laws? Interesting.

It is a fictitious phrase you came up with regards to a rebuild. But if something is 100%, I would guess that would be an iron law. Like death, taxes and some peoples bad personality.

It is a fictitious phrase you came up with regards to a rebuild. But if something is 100%, I would guess that would be an iron law. Like death, taxes and some peoples bad personality.

Iron laws is not a fictitious phrase. You pontificate so often about things you do not understand that it fits you perfectly.

I believe that the term"iron laws" was first coined by Yakicoug

Ok?

He said Thompson was the best safety since Coleman.

Deone got drafted where he did in part because of cam chancellor did for the Seahawks in 2013. Arizona thought he was the missing piece and ended up moving him to a hydrid position of linebacker .

I think Thompson is much better in coverage than Deone . And he was a Wulff recruit

Deone got drafted where he did in part because of cam chancellor did for the Seahawks in 2013. Arizona thought he was the missing piece and ended up moving him to a hydrid position of linebacker .

I think Thompson is much better in coverage than Deone . And he was a Wulff recruit

Yes, I'm aware of who recruited Bucannon. You said Jalen was the best safety since Coleman. I mentioned Bucannon. Not sure what that has to do with Crapbag Wulff.

Pointing to random, individual recruiting success stories at the P5 level is reaching. All programs, even the lousy ones, produce the occasional elite players.

Yes, I'm aware of who recruited Bucannon. You said Jalen was the best safety since Coleman. I mentioned Bucannon. Not sure what that has to do with Crapbag Wulff.

Sorry I wasn’t clear . The second reason I didn’t mention Deone is because he was a wulff recruit and I didn’t want more wulff talk .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT