ADVERTISEMENT

My 2 happy points thus far in pre-season practice

cr8zyncalif

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
Two things, both of which are mild surprises. Of course, I'm going by the reporting and coach comments...but that is as usual.

O line: Comments make it sound as though there is a good level of communication, understanding & chemistry at work here. Ahead of the schedule that I had anticipated. This was my area of biggest concern, so I'm happy about what I am hearing at this point.

D line: It looks like we have some depth, some competition, a bit of an improvement at the edges due mostly to experience & another year of development, and (hold your breath!) actual pass rush pressure from inside. That was lacking last year. If the interior part of the D line can provide more pressure this year and the edges continue normal development, we might have the best D line that we've had in quite a while.

I expected our new QB to look good, but obviously that is also a happy point. But it was expected. The O and D line situation is (at the very least) a pleasant surprise...and it might end up being a lot more than that.

Reactions: SaveFerris
Devil's advocate:

Maybe the D line looks improved because our fears about the O line were correct. Considering how they were dominated by Central Michigan in the first half of the bowl game, I think we're right to be concerned about the OL. They had deficiencies that it's hard to believe were corrected by a handful of spring practices.

Devil's advocate to your Devil's advocate. It was also a OL that did have its two starting tackles and had two weeks to get up to speed both both back-ups and player playing out of position.

My belief is they are not last years OL, but not as bad as some think. If they can stay healthy they should be ok. Really all position of concern, for me, as still a concern but don't seem as bad as I feared.

That said its mid-August and my crimson shades are on.

Two things, both of which are mild surprises. Of course, I'm going by the reporting and coach comments...but that is as usual.

O line: Comments make it sound as though there is a good level of communication, understanding & chemistry at work here. Ahead of the schedule that I had anticipated. This was my area of biggest concern, so I'm happy about what I am hearing at this point.

D line: It looks like we have some depth, some competition, a bit of an improvement at the edges due mostly to experience & another year of development, and (hold your breath!) actual pass rush pressure from inside. That was lacking last year. If the interior part of the D line can provide more pressure this year and the edges continue normal development, we might have the best D line that we've had in quite a while.

I expected our new QB to look good, but obviously that is also a happy point. But it was expected. The O and D line situation is (at the very least) a pleasant surprise...and it might end up being a lot more than that.
Seems both sides have enough encouraging signs to feel ok at this stage. Rodrick Tialavea (LG) was announced out for the season. I don't think they can afford many more injuries.

Going into last year I thought the d-line would kill us. They seemed to hold up fine for the most part all season. No high impact DTs but collectively seemed well coached and schemed. With Jackson and Stone back, pretty much everyone inside, plus bringing in Malani (& maybe McKenzie in terms of potential), I can't imagine we regress. We should be improved if anything.

Reactions: TrumpCoug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT