ADVERTISEMENT

My advise for Anthony Gordon

ShockandAweWSU

Head Coach
Feb 20, 2018
3 things:

-don't forget that Borghi is really good, give him more carries and get him involved in the passing game
-Use your legs, take the 6 yard qb run and avoid the negative play
-Let your big tall wrs make plays for you. Throw the 50/50 ball to Tay, throw the back shoulder to Dez or the fade to Winston

I'm excited based on what I've seen of Gordon. He probably has the best arm since Leaf....now can he go out there and have fun and lead this team. We will find out soon.

3 things:

-don't forget that Borghi is really good, give him more carries and get him involved in the passing game
-Let your big tall wrs make plays for you. Throw the 50/50 ball to Tay, throw the back shoulder to Dez or the fade to Winston

I'm excited based on what I've seen of Gordon. He probably has the best arm since Leaf....now can he go out there and have fun and lead this team. We will find out soon.

They've gotta get more attempts attacking between the tackles. There are teams literally lining up without a body lined up inside. You have to make them pay for that.

3 things:

The Oregon double overtime game was on P12N the other day, and Luke looked good. He still had Marks and Cracraft on the roster. And whether it was a function of those two players or something else, he didn't take a ton of negative plays.

How good would his Jr and Sr years have been if he would have just thrown the ball away instead of taking those negative yards? 2nd and 10? Ehhh, lets take a sack and make it 2nd and 18 instead.

So yeah, eliminate the negative play. At worst, just chuck it out of bounds.

They've gotta get more attempts attacking between the tackles. There are teams literally lining up without a body lined up inside. You have to make them pay for that.
They don't run the plays to take advantage of that. Or seldom run them.

So you have 3 DL on the LOS, and 2 LBs playing 7-8 yards deep in nickle. What do we run? A pistol dive or a delayed handoff, both of which allow the LBs time to crash the interior gaps. Its what made Boobie so dangerous - he could bounce it outside and turn the corner QUICKLY.

Mike Leach's advice: "“Well, just throw it to the guy who’s ****ing open.”
Ya know which players who are going to be wide open against this team?? Every single one. Ya know which quarterbacks could do well this week? Every single one .....including Aaron Angelos. If I were Northern Colorado...I'd be scouting that guy.

Reactions: earldacoug
They don't run the plays to take advantage of that. Or seldom run them.

So you have 3 DL on the LOS, and 2 LBs playing 7-8 yards deep in nickle. What do we run? A pistol dive or a delayed handoff, both of which allow the LBs time to crash the interior gaps. Its what made Boobie so dangerous - he could bounce it outside and turn the corner QUICKLY.

The play doesn't have to go for big yards. It needs the LBs to honor it and make a tackle. It needs the LBs to line up at 4 or 5 yards instead of 7-8 yards. That just loosened up the defense. Keep in mind, 5 OL on 3 DL & 2 LBs is 5 on 5 blocking. As long as there's a body on a guy and he has to get off a block to make a tackle the WSU runner is getting yards. The defense will have to add another body inside the box. Again, that just loosened up the passing game.

Bouncing outside isn't what you want. You don't want to run into the teeth of the defense, which is defending the perimeter. You wanna hit them between the tackles and make them change their personnel or make their LBs play differently.

The play doesn't have to go for big yards. It needs the LBs to honor it and make a tackle. It needs the LBs to line up at 4 or 5 yards instead of 7-8 yards. That just loosened up the defense. Keep in mind, 5 OL on 3 DL & 2 LBs is 5 on 5 blocking. As long as there's a body on a guy and he has to get off a block to make a tackle the WSU runner is getting yards. The defense will have to add another body inside the box. Again, that just loosened up the passing game.

Bouncing outside isn't what you want. You don't want to run into the teeth of the defense, which is defending the perimeter. You wanna hit them between the tackles and make them change their personnel or make their LBs play differently.

Well keep up your crusade.

3 things:

I'll make it even simpler:
  1. Positive yards are better than negative
  2. NMSU is not good. Be patient, let them make mistakes. They will, and we have the players to take advantage.
  3. Refer to #1.

Reactions: mikalalas

I agree with that, but not between Center and Guard. WSU's Center/ Guard OL combinations are not that great at Run Blocking.

But the Guard/Tackle OL combo are ok run blockers.

So because of that run it between Guard and Tackle and outside, Off Tackle.

And Run it about 29+% of the time at minimum, about 1 time per every 3.5 downs, at minimum, and run it about 15+ to 19+ times a game, at minimum.

When WSU does that, it really opens up WSU's Air Raid Passing game, offense

Gimme Borghi with a lite box. 6 yards guaranteed 10-12 is likely. I’ll take that all day. Then give me Dez, tay, Rod, CJ, etc etc with a defense worried about Borghi. This offense can be unstoppable.

Aaron Angelos impressed me in the spring game. Supposedly looks really good for a walk on.

Ya know which players who are going to be wide open against this team?? Every single one. Ya know which quarterbacks could do well this week? Every single one .....including Aaron Angelos. If I were Northern Colorado...I'd be scouting that guy.

That might have been the most painful part of last year's Apple Cup.

Gimme Borghi with a lite box. 6 yards guaranteed 10-12 is likely. I’ll take that all day. Then give me Dez, tay, Rod, CJ, etc etc with a defense worried about Borghi. This offense can be unstoppable.

Agree. And I mean averaging 49 in league play kind of unstoppable.

I see all these posts about predictions... These opposing coaches are asking themselves how many they can score. I don't think you're gonna see WSU in 17-14 games this year unless they're turning the ball over a lot. If you wanna beat WSU, your offense better be able to score 50.

So when you see my predictions of 12-0 ask yourself... can Utah score 50 on WSU??? Can Cal??? Can UCLA??? You are more likely to find yourself in a shoot out with WSU than a defensive battle. Which of these teams on the schedule can go touchdown for touchdown with WSU????

That might have been the most painful part of last year's Apple Cup.

It's shameful really. What would Tom Brady, John Elway, Russell Wilson, insert any good NFL QB have done facing a DL with two ends and no tackles???

They walk up under center, take the snap and run for 5 yards until the defense honors it.

WSU stayed in shot gun. That's on Leach. For $4,000,000 per year he'd better not let that happen again.

I see all these posts about predictions... These opposing coaches are asking themselves how many they can score. I don't think you're gonna see WSU in 17-14 games this year unless they're turning the ball over a lot. If you wanna beat WSU, your offense better be able to score 50.

So when you see my predictions of 12-0 ask yourself... can Utah score 50 on WSU??? Can Cal??? Can UCLA??? You are more likely to find yourself in a shoot out with WSU than a defensive battle. Which of these teams on the schedule can go touchdown for touchdown with WSU????
I don't necessarily disagree, but this assumes that WSU's offense shows up every week and fires on all cylinders...with a true sophomore RB and a QB who's never played against a D-1 defense. There are going to be mistakes, and there's likely to be at least one night where things just don't mesh like they're supposed to. Typically, that's against the better defenses like Cal and Utah. Neither of those teams have an offense that's going to keep up in a track meet. They're not going to put up 50, but either of them could make 28, especially if they're helped by turnovers and/or inefficiency by our offense. As evidence, look at Utah last year. Their offense was mediocre. They didn't get a lot of help from our offense - we had one turnover (on the first drive of the game), we only had one 3 & out, and their average start was at their own 25. Our offense didn't play badly, Minshew took care of the ball and threw for 445. Not as efficient as later in the season, but not terrible. Still took a minor miracle for us to win.

I don't necessarily disagree, but this assumes that WSU's offense shows up every week and fires on all cylinders...with a true sophomore RB and a QB who's never played against a D-1 defense. There are going to be mistakes, and there's likely to be at least one night where things just don't mesh like they're supposed to. Typically, that's against the better defenses like Cal and Utah. Neither of those teams have an offense that's going to keep up in a track meet. They're not going to put up 50, but either of them could make 28, especially if they're helped by turnovers and/or inefficiency by our offense. As evidence, look at Utah last year. Their offense was mediocre. They didn't get a lot of help from our offense - we had one turnover (on the first drive of the game), we only had one 3 & out, and their average start was at their own 25. Our offense didn't play badly, Minshew took care of the ball and threw for 445. Not as efficient as later in the season, but not terrible. Still took a minor miracle for us to win.

Borghi isn't a typical sophomore. The last thing I would do is find a way to diminish his ability. IMO he has proven himself.

There is a new starter at QB. He is surrounded by a damn good back and a pile of talented wide receivers. Top 10 position group in the nation. And you're finding a way to level the offense? I don't agree.

What happens if the other team doesn't fire on all cylinders? It goes both ways. Maybe WSU does come out flat. They still have more firepower than Utah and Cal.

Borghi isn't a typical sophomore. The last thing I would do is find a way to diminish his ability. IMO he has proven himself.

There is a new starter at QB. He is surrounded by a damn good back and a pile of talented wide receivers. Top 10 position group in the nation. And you're finding a way to level the offense? I don't agree.

What happens if the other team doesn't fire on all cylinders? It goes both ways. Maybe WSU does come out flat. They still have more firepower than Utah and Cal.
More offensive firepower, yes. Both of them have stronger D than we do...and our offense won't be lining up against their offense.

Even if we do average 49 in conference (and I'm not holding my breath), odds are that Utah and Cal will be our low scores. I think it's more realistic to say we average 35 in conference, and Utah and Cal are still our low scores. That would still be more than we averaged last season (33.4), including 56 and 69 point efforts against OSU and UA. Utah and Cal both have a D than can hold us a score below our average. If they can keep us to 28, it's a lot easier to see them keeping up (especially Utah). And if their D picks up a score, suddenly there's less pressure on their O.

We've certainly got the guns to beat both of them, and I'm not saying that 12-0 is impossible. But we've got some lingering question marks, and there are a couple weeks on the schedule that will be tough outs.

More offensive firepower, yes. Both of them have stronger D than we do...and our offense won't be lining up against their offense.

Even if we do average 49 in conference (and I'm not holding my breath), odds are that Utah and Cal will be our low scores. I think it's more realistic to say we average 35 in conference, and Utah and Cal are still our low scores. That would still be more than we averaged last season (33.4), including 56 and 69 point efforts against OSU and UA. Utah and Cal both have a D than can hold us a score below our average. If they can keep us to 28, it's a lot easier to see them keeping up (especially Utah). And if their D picks up a score, suddenly there's less pressure on their O.

We've certainly got the guns to beat both of them, and I'm not saying that 12-0 is impossible. But we've got some lingering question marks, and there are a couple weeks on the schedule that will be tough outs.

Im hopeful the DL takes a step forward. The back 7 sees the best receiver group on the conference every day. You'd like to think that knowing the kids they play against are worse than the guys they practice against will help.

From what I've been told, this is the best OL group WSU has had in a long time. Utah and Cal are not just gonna push the offense around.

I think WSU averages about 37 to 40 to 43 ppg. 37 as worst ave, 43 at best ave, 39/40 as average, average ppg..

Both, Biggs, 95 both have some good points.

12-0 is possible. But 9-3, 10-2, 9.5 wins is more realistic, probable. Utah, Cal, have STINGY D. Can we beat them? Yes. Will WSU beat them? MAYBE, Semi Probably Semi Probable at extreme best.

Can WSU beat Ore? Yes. Will WSU Beat them? Maybe, Semi Probably semi probable.

UW? Yes. Will WSU? Probably, but maybe not, we'll see.

The Houston game will give us the best indication of how we stack up against others, particularly how the Cougar D will fare. I'm not sure there's much to be learned about the team during the first two weeks, but I"m glad to have NMSU and NCU on the schedule. It should give a lot of players an opportunity to see game action. With Gordon still without much game experience, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leach leave him in a lot longer in the NMSU game than he needs to. Coach was stingy last year when it came to playing time for backup QBs despite a couple of very comfortable second half leads.

Glad Cougar

Also 40 PPG is Just 4 Touchdowns, 4 FG's. That's 1 TD, 1 FG a Quarter, for each of the 4 quarters.

Also WSU averages at least 4 possessions per quarter, and sometimes 4.5 Possessions per quarter.

That means that WSU would only have to either score a TD, an or FG, about 47% of the time to score about 40 ppg.

That should be very doable for a AWESOME OL, Borghi, Top 10 WR, Corp, Gordon(Or if Gordon doesnt pan out(Gage), Air Raid, Leach.

Also Keep in mind Leach had to go against STINGY Defenses in Big 12, with BJ Symons(Almost exact same situation as Gordon(5th Year Sr. 1st Time Starter), put up about 5800 yards about 45 TD's, about 13 Int's, about 500 yards passing per game, averaged about 43 to 46 to 49 ppg, scored about 50 to 60 to 70 a number of times.)

Now not saying that Gordon is going to be like BJ Symons.

But it does, should show the POTENTIAL what this WSU team, offense, can, could, maybe even would, maybe even should do.

All true but these are also 19-20 year old kids. The defense is going to have a bad day. The weather will suck for a game or two and we will see if AG is unfazed (GM worst games were Cal and UW last year the only two as I recall in shitty conditions). And AG can spin it but we have no idea how skilled he will be in managing the pre snap. Falk was awful at this and the offense was mildly predictable, while Minshew was very good. This will tell a lot as far as how on consistently the offense can move the ball.

I haven't seen anyone (anywhere) comment on AG not having taken a single snap of meaningful football in almost four years in real game conditions, and that's including JC ball as "meaningful" even though fewer people are watching it than most high school games.

He's never seen anything like being on the road in Autzen. He's been on the sideline, which helps, and he gets to get his feet wet and get the jitters out at while at home under friendly conditions, but some guys struggle when the snaps start to really matter, they're dealing with crowd noise, etc.

Not saying it will be an issue, but him having done well in the controlled conditions of practices, TNF, and spring games may not tell the whole story. Hopefully he can adjust quickly. Him being older and having been exposed to some of this indirectly gives me more confidence than if we were running an 18-year old out there, of course.

All true but these are also 19-20 year old kids. The defense is going to have a bad day. The weather will suck for a game or two and we will see if AG is unfazed (GM worst games were Cal and UW last year the only two as I recall in shitty conditions). And AG can spin it but we have no idea how skilled he will be in managing the pre snap. Falk was awful at this and the offense was mildly predictable, while Minshew was very good. This will tell a lot as far as how on consistently the offense can move the ball.

The best thing for a new starting QB is a good OL and RB. Lean on them, make some easy throws, find your rhythm.

The one constant about college football is turnover on your roster. Every team is gonna have fresh faces somewhere. Cal and Utah need to be more concerned about WSU then WSU needs to be concerned about Cal and Utah.

There were a number of catchable ball that were dropped that day and GM made a number of bad throws. Our offense was off that game and the defense couldnt stop the run. On the flip side Utah played one of thier best games of the season, and we still one.

I think think calling that play a "miracle" is a bit of a strech. There were a number of big plays from both teams that day.

I haven't seen anyone (anywhere) comment on AG not having taken a single snap of meaningful football in almost four years in real game conditions, and that's including JC ball as "meaningful" even though fewer people are watching it than most high school games.

He's never seen anything like being on the road in Autzen. He's been on the sideline, which helps, and he gets to get his feet wet and get the jitters out at while at home under friendly conditions, but some guys struggle when the snaps start to really matter, they're dealing with crowd noise, etc.

Not saying it will be an issue, but him having done well in the controlled conditions of practices, TNF, and spring games may not tell the whole story. Hopefully he can adjust quickly. Him being older and having been exposed to some of this indirectly gives me more confidence than if we were running an 18-year old out there, of course.

The thing your saying about AG was True for BJ Symons.

The thing your saying about AG was True for BJ Symons.
Yeah...sometimes games can be easier for a QB too. Going up against the same defense everyday that knows the routes, your tendencies, your receivers tendencies, etc

As others have said these first two games line up nicely for a guy to get his footing...or worst case scenario if he’s not a gamer gives you a sample size to look at if you need to make the change to GG.

Yeah...sometimes games can be easier for a QB too. Going up against the same defense everyday that knows the routes, your tendencies, your receivers tendencies, etc

As others have said these first two games line up nicely for a guy to get his footing...or worst case scenario if he’s not a gamer gives you a sample size to look at if you need to make the change to GG.

Exactly

....and then there is the most brilliant guy/coach in the universe...

He's got us figured out. We won't even get 20 points vs JL! Sigh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT