ADVERTISEMENT

My outlook for this season

Just to be a smartass.....if you take away the 59 points scored against UNLV and FCS EWU, we only scored 18.4 points per game in the other 10 games in 2012. If you throw out the 34 points against 1-11 Colorado, it drops to 16.9 points per game. Leach did not do a very good job in 2012. He took a mediocre team and made it worse. Of course, you can make the argument that tearing things down a little bit in 2012 was a necessary step to get where we were today. You could also make the argument that 2014 was flushing the last vestiges of the excuse era from our system. As I said above, the thing that Ed and any one else that supports Wulff needs to understand is that reaching a bowl was still an unattained goal after four years and it looked like that was going to be his ceiling. That wasn't good enough and he needed to go. All the woulda, coulda, shouldas in the world couldn't be accumulated into a reasonable discussion about WSU competing for a Pac-12 North championship. Leach (and the team) changed that conversation last year.

The thing for everyone else is that an objective review of last season shows that we caught a lot of breaks last year. Not playing Oregon with VAJ at the helm was a godsend. Three other wins that came down to us making one play to keep our hopes alive. I'm excited about this season and we can all be proud of what happened last year, but we should avoid acting like a bunch of Huskies and assume that we've made it. Looking ahead, we have an offense that should be exciting and a defense that should have its moments. The DL terrifies me though and the secondary has yet to prove that they can hold up consistently. Still a lot better place than we've been in the past and I'm excited about the potential.

I think we can and should expect to win the division this season. This is the best opportunity WSU has had to make noise since 2002, when WSU was also coming off a Sun Bowl win.

I get Wulff had a ceiling. I don't think in a million years after even six years he was going to get us to nine wins. But I also don't believe we get to nine wins with this group with Bledsoe as a soph, Rosie as a soph, Leaf as a soph, or Tuel as a soph. I think that is how special Falk is. And I also believe if Bender had to run this team all year we would have been under .500.

So yes I do understand the limits of Wulff.

Then you understand that Wulff was really a floor, and had no ceiling.

I just wanted to point out that according to some, Wulff got at least three throwaway seasons before he was supposed to even show a hint of progress. Sure, Leach was so terrible in 2012 that the PPG dropped. However, which team would you choose as the winner of a hypothetical matchup between the 2011 Wulff-led Cougars and the 2012 Leach-led Cougars?

And of course you're correct. Leach was stepping into a program that had lost 40 games in 4 seasons. That means everything, literally everything, is totally, completely and thoroughly fu3ked up.
Well you, 1990, Yaki are among the smart ones that knew Leach was going to lose more games his first year than Mr Incompetent did his last year with a back up QB, thus was a bit under expectations. Then the following year you three knew he would exceed expectations with a group consisting of players recruited by the prior guy, then in 2014 you three knew they would crap the bed with a good portion of newly recruited players.

Gotta ask, exactly where will they finish in 2016 and should we expect to go backwards in terms of wins and losses? It sure sounds like winning 6 is a pretty low projection.

It is funny...one coach has to "win the hearts and minds" the other coach "the leaders" were negative. Good grief.

Yes, of course there is shock when a coach takes over. The problem I have when you talk about having two players that had talent and the program didn't have 6-6 talent, 3/5's of the o line in 2013 were walkons and they got to 6-6/ The entire line in 2013 was kids recruited by Wulff. They lost a starting qb, 3/5's of the line and still came up with 6 wins. So I really struggle with the logic that there wasn't enough (read that word again) talent to get to six wins and have an offensive that put up more than 20 a game.

In 1990, 1995, 1998 it made sense we were going to take a step back. We lost so many players with experience. But that wasn't the case in 2012. We won 4 in 2011 with a coach who was fired, and they lead the entire UCLA game except the last three minutes (indication they could play with the LA team) and they were within an inch of beating Utah. So they potentially could have won six games in 2011, and returned everyone.

And Flat hit it right on the head in part. What that team needed was confidence to get to 6-6. They needed what the win in Rutgers provided. The 2015 Rutgers win was so important to the program, especially how they won. The 2012 CU game was in control. Finish that game out. BYU gave the game plan on how to defend the Air Raid, drop 8 in coverage. And here was the greatest problem of all when it came to offensive production...the slot position. In HINDSIGHT it was a mistake having Lintz and Galvin in the slot. (because of experience) That slot is so important to the offense, and they had no clue how to really play the position. The reason Tuel in part looked so indecisive is because the slots were inexperienced and ran to a predetermined spot. They ran into coverage. The route calls to run 7 yards to the break that is what they ran. The slot has to know how to cut off their route and "ad lib" a smidge. Galvin got better with experience. But that is exactly why the offense struggled, and that is why Tuel played so well down the stretch against the Huskies because Bartilone knew exactly how to run the patterns in the slot.

The CU game was needed to gain confidence, and it was in the coaches hands. That team was fragile. That is in part why they brought in a new coach, to help them with their confidence. Confidence doesn't come with the beach or up downs. It comes with making a simple play and winning.

The 2014 team were "his kids" and they folded. The 2014 Rutger's game was like the CU game in that it was a season defining moment. Just like this past season where the Rutgers game was a season defining moment. That wasn't about the beach, it was about making plays down the stretch.

There is no doubt in my mind if Falk was on the field at the end of the game against PSU we would have won. He is Joe Montana in that end of the game is fun for him.

And it is because of Falk I really believe we win ten games this year, he is such a difference maker.

There isn't a better play caller in the last two minutes and needing a score than Mike Leach. We just have to be within striking range of the Huskies or whoever and we will get them.

So yeah, I think the expectations of the team should be high. Does that mean if they go 6-6 we run around and say Leach is on the hot seat?

Crap, 1985 expectations were high with Rypien Porter and Mayes. They had a crappy opening opponent. Couldn't have been a worse way to start a season. Chris Miller and the Ducks. Defined the entire season.

Oh look! It's the Consistency Crusade, and we get 80s reference as a special bonus!

Here's the thing Ed- Wulff couldn't recruit worth a lick. So, that meant he HAD to engage the players on the roster to give himself a chance to look even minimally competent. He didn't, so you got three of the worst years in school history. Leach can recruit, so new guys that were actually decent got thrust into the two deep immediately. Please at least try to understand that when talking about hearts and minds.

Well you, 1990, Yaki are among the smart ones that knew Leach was going to lose more games his first year than Mr Incompetent did his last year with a back up QB, thus was a bit under expectations. Then the following year you three knew he would exceed expectations with a group consisting of players recruited by the prior guy, then in 2014 you three knew they would crap the bed with a good portion of newly recruited players.

Gotta ask, exactly where will they finish in 2016 and should we expect to go backwards in terms of wins and losses? It sure sounds like winning 6 is a pretty low projection.

Read this thread and you'll see what I think for 2016.

And where is your criticism of Wulff going backward to 2 wins, 1 win and 2 wins again for 2008-2010? Be consistent.

Reactions: YakiCoug

And where is your criticism of Wulff going backward to 2 wins, 1 win and 2 wins again for 2008-2010? Be consistent.
I expected two or three wins after the doba era, regardless of who the coach was. Second, why would I have higher expectations of what Wulff could accomplish than what Price did in a total rebuild after 1998? So that was my baseline.

Third, have you once heard from me to have him fired, hot seat, or his methods of running off players, or anything else? All I said in HINDSIGHT the CU game was tipping point, and what they needed in that game is for the coach to finish it off. Should he be on some sort of watch list, a red flag if you will of future actions. No.

And like I have said many times transitions are hard. They just are. So when someone posts about how the coach should have won the hearts and minds of the athletes in 2009/2009 I call BS. So I am and was tempered in what I thought about in 2012. But to say peoples expectation(which this thread was about) was fewer wins than the guy fired I would say no one had that on their radar.

I expected two or three wins after the doba era, regardless of who the coach was. Second, why would I have higher expectations of what Wulff could accomplish than what Price did in a total rebuild after 1998? So that was my baseline.

Third, have you once heard from me to have him fired, hot seat, or his methods of running off players, or anything else? All I said in HINDSIGHT the CU game was tipping point, and what they needed in that game is for the coach to finish it off. Should he be on some sort of watch list, a red flag if you will of future actions. No.

And like I have said many times transitions are hard. They just are. So when someone posts about how the coach should have won the hearts and minds of the athletes in 2009/2009 I call BS. So I am and was tempered in what I thought about in 2012. But to say peoples expectation(which this thread was about) was fewer wins than the guy fired I would say no one had that on their radar.

You complained about McCartney being shown the door. You complained about his comments after the 2012 Utah game. You complained about the hose. You complained about losing to CU in 2012. I'm sure the list is longer than that.

Your nonsense here is well known. This thread is about 2016, but here you are reliving 2012, the Wulff era, and the 80s.

There you go again. One hand you talk about talent and not having enough, then in the second hand you cannot give me a reasoned response how you don't win with 2012 talent that the previous incompetent coach came within an eyelash of winning six games with a back up QB. Then you lose your QB, your best defensive end, two lineman that are the fringes of the NFL or got drafted ( but zero talent) then start 3 walkons, and five lineman recruited by incompetent coach and win six games with a new starter at QB.

Yeah, I hear you loud and clear. If you like the coach the coach can do what all coaches do and install their methods. But if you don't, they have to win the hearts and minds.

Never said Leach was over his head. I said there was expectations of a better offense and a better record than what Mr. Incompetent put forth. And if you think any coaches are perfect you are out of your mind. And Leach for that year needed to make it easier on the kids, not harder. And I am not talking about discipline. I am talking about him finishing off a key game in which he had total control. And yes, because coaches aren't perfect it is easy to reflect back on why they didn't get to 6-6 and why Tuel was so indecisive.

D-I am glad you find me adorable.

Actually, I did give you a reasoned response. Also, the 2011 team and the 2012 are not the same team. The other eleven schools in the conference were not the same either. Some teams get better, others are worse and some are about the same. Do you not understand this?

It is a reason why this team in 2016 can actually be better, but have a worse record than the 2015 team. Plus, we have went through this before. The 2011 team played a very weak non conference schedule, so that was two wins. Then, they played CU with a RB and WR starting at cornerback and safety. Then, ASU was in free fall when WSU beat them, as they lost their last five games and Erickson was fired. Yes, the team earned the wins. But, lets be real, everything that lead to those four victories were not likely repeatable besides scheduling the sisters of the poor for the non-conference games for two wins.

If you are going to mention starting ML, a QB that had previously started and who was just as productive as Tuel, hurt Wulff. Then, you have to admit that starting two offensive players at DB may have hurt Colorado?

Regarding what I wrote years ago about the "Hearts and minds" of the players. Way to lie about the context I used it back then. But, it is typical of you. Wulff came in from day one with a scorched earth policy and was a total dick to many players. I wrote about that from day one.

Leach came in with a message of this is the way we are going to do things. Hard work and discipline. The players were neither at that time and some of them fought against that.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

Nevermind, you are not worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeFingLeach

E.D. was too busy trying to backpedal his way out of predicting Wulff would mirror Price 2001-2002 and Doba 2003, as in three consecutive 10-win seasons.

Reactions: Coug1990

Still backing away from your prediction of 6-6 for 2016, I see. And still obsessing over 2012.

Good grief Flat. How does "expectations" from the general public and scoring have to do with me "not understanding" the limits of a previous coach?

You name one person on this board, in the general public, or administration that thought that year one was going to be a step back year for the program? Name one person who thought that we would struggle offensively despite having a QB back that has enough talent to hang on the fringes of the NFL, and coaches like Chip Kelly and Jim Harbaugh respected his ability. Name one person who thought Connor Halliday after setting a freshman record thought he wasn't capable of putting more than 20 on the board if Tuel got hurt in 2012.

Now name a person who predicted WSU would go bowling with the same castoffs and now had three walkons starting the offensive line.

For your info once we secured a name coach I had zero problem with Moos making the change. Do I think Wulff was going to get us to 10 wins? Yeah, maybe after 10 years or so, Do I think there was 6 win talent on that 2012 team. Yes. If they didn't lead UCLA for an entire game with their back up QB, if they didn't have SDSU down by two TD's in the third quarter, if they didn't come within 2 inches of beating Utah, then I would have fully expected to have a 3 win season in 2012.

But the offense takes two days to install, it is a simple offense to run, it is a system where Tuel and Halliday could pick it up quickly. Andre Lintz was going to be Gronk Lite, and he needs to learn to use his hands like a beer in a trash can, or something like that. So based on what he was able to accomplish at Kentucky, Oklahoma and Tech, there was zero reason for anyone to believe with a core group coming back that we were going to step backwards both in wins and offensive production. And there is a reason why they took a step back, and it wasn't talent per se.

This conversation was about 2016 "expectations", and how our four year history has been when there are expectations 2012 and 2014 we have fallen short, and when virtually no one expected anything from 13 and 15 we had bowl years. This wasn't about Wulff, or the support I gave him. It is about an. Now, if you want to argue there are no expectations this year, and there were in 2015, and none in 14 or 12. Sure, go head.

I get Wulff had a ceiling. I don't think in a million years after even six years he was going to get us to nine wins. But I also don't believe we get to nine wins with this group with Bledsoe as a soph, Rosie as a soph, Leaf as a soph, or Tuel as a soph. I think that is how special Falk is. And I also believe if Bender had to run this team all year we would have been under .500.

So yes I do understand the limits of Wulff.
So many responses...where to start...

People put way too much stock in Halliday's night against ASU. Go back and look at the tape...he didn't set a record, ASU gave it to him. Their D was barely there that night, and they still could have beat us. Halliday got away with a lot of bad throws because their DBs we're asleep. The next week, Utah picked him off 3-4 Times when he tried the same things. Thinking of him as a rising star based on that game was just dumb.

At QB in 2012, we were screwed. Tuel never got the offense. Halliday did a little, but kept making sophomore mistakes and then pouting about them...a problem he didn't get past until his last season. Lintz disappeared, and we had nothing on D but Travis Long.

Let's not have such selective memory about 2011, ok? How about we remember that one win was against CU...in which we needed TWO last minute prayers answered, even though they played the game with no healthy DBs. One win was against a team that had given up, the other two were against one of the worst FCS teams and maybe the worst FBS team. Oh, and that backup QB who almost beat UCLA had a better passer rating than Tuel ever had.

I don't think anyone thought we'd bowl in 2012. I'm not sure anyone thought we would in 13. But I'll forgive some irrational exuberance at the time, because after 2008-2011, I think a lot of us forgot what real football looked like. We certainly weren't seeing it in Pullman. And we wouldn't have, if Moos hadn't stopped the bleeding. Because you're right - W had a ceiling. We saw it - 4 wins against one of the softest schedules we've had.

You complained about McCartney being shown the door. You complained about his comments after the 2012 Utah game. You complained about the hose. You complained about losing to CU in 2012. I'm sure the list is longer than that.

Your nonsense here is well known. This thread is about 2016, but here you are reliving 2012, the Wulff era, and the 80s.
Well that is certainly one take.

The only reason McCartney was ever brought up is I had said Wulff was no different than other coaches in his operation. (not talking about results). People would complain about him being rigid and not winning the hearts and minds of the players. Not a legit complaint. All coaches do that. Wulff ran some players. All coaches do that. That is the ONLY reason McCartney was brought up. You and others kept saying Leach wouldn't run a scholie player. I used him as an example of a player being run. And you argued that Leach doesn't do that. I wish I and waited four months as I knew two weeks before Golden, Duckett, Simmons were getting run out of town. I had zero problem with a former walkon getting the boot. The only thing that didn't make sense is he was already graduated. He could have played in the fall and the scholie still would have been available. In other words, him playing had no future baring on the 2013 recruiting class. If he wasn't graduated, and if his scholie was affecting recruiting yeah it would have made more sense. But I could care less if Wilson quit, Rodgers quit, Golden and Duckett got run. They have a finite time to get their players in.

Yes, I mentioned I didn't like the lineman being called out as they were. Nor did I like Wulff complaining about a former players son switching his commitment at the last minute. Or Asante Cleveland. I get such late switches affect him more than others. but pissing about it in the public. Either event put a coach in the cross hairs? Nope.

Yeah, I didn't like the school getting investigated for such nonsense. As Moos pointed out the S and G coach was out of line. Stopped the act. Do I believe Leach ever tells the s and c coach what to do in the pit? Nope. All I know is he says roll the mfers.

And I didn't say jack about the CU game until the season was over, and my comment that was a pivotal game. I also mentioned 100 times saying transitions are hard and Leach or anyone else should get a "pass".

So many responses...where to start...

People put way too much stock in Halliday's night against ASU. Go back and look at the tape...he didn't set a record, ASU gave it to him. Their D was barely there that night, and they still could have beat us. Halliday got away with a lot of bad throws because their DBs we're asleep. The next week, Utah picked him off 3-4 Times when he tried the same things. Thinking of him as a rising star based on that game was just dumb.

At QB in 2012, we were screwed. Tuel never got the offense. Halliday did a little, but kept making sophomore mistakes and then pouting about them...a problem he didn't get past until his last season. Lintz disappeared, and we had nothing on D but Travis Long.

Let's not have such selective memory about 2011, ok? How about we remember that one win was against CU...in which we needed TWO last minute prayers answered, even though they played the game with no healthy DBs. One win was against a team that had given up, the other two were against one of the worst FCS teams and maybe the worst FBS team. Oh, and that backup QB who almost beat UCLA had a better passer rating than Tuel ever had.

I don't think anyone thought we'd bowl in 2012. I'm not sure anyone thought we would in 13. But I'll forgive some irrational exuberance at the time, because after 2008-2011, I think a lot of us forgot what real football looked like. We certainly weren't seeing it in Pullman. And we wouldn't have, if Moos hadn't stopped the bleeding. Because you're right - W had a ceiling. We saw it - 4 wins against one of the softest schedules we've had.
95---anyone can use that exact same lens. Don't forget we beat a Rutgers team that was missing their top four defensive backs and needed a late TD to win. Don't forget we beat an Oregon team without their QB and top wide out. We beat a Arizona team without their top defensive player in Scooby Wright and several other defensive players. Don't forget we lost to PSU. Don't forget we beat a CU team without their QB and they were horrible anyway. Don't forget we beat a really bad OSU team. See, that same lens can be used every year.

And when you talk about Tuel it isn''t just about his QB rating. I could go the UCLA tape in which UCLA scored a TD late and won that if Tuel was in there there would have been two more TD's. It was about the threat of his running and pulling the ball out of Galvins stomach. The DE was crashing down almost to the guard center gap because he knew Lobster was pulling the ball out. If he did, he would still be running.

Not sure how anyone didn't believe with the same team back, adding Guata that Leach could raise two more wins, in light of the team losing to Utah by 2 inches, and losing to UCLA late in the game.

But back to the bigger point, anyone can pick apart a schedule and say ASU quit, Utah doesn't play well in the cold, we beat a bad CU team (which by the way we lost to the following year) lost to a SDSU team tat didn't respect us. We could do that every year. Even in 2013 when we needed a win against Utah and they didn't have their starting qb or their back up, and a third string QB put up 35 on us, and we picked him twice for TD's. Such analysis can be done every single year.

Qb's who stick on the fringes of the NFL are scrubs. It is funny when it comes to Tuel, so many others thought so much more of him than our own fan base. And in terms of Halliday, I think the ASU game did show exactly what he had. Doesn't he hold the school records after playing two years?

Still backing away from your prediction of 6-6 for 2016, I see. And still obsessing over 2012.
Nope and nope. Backing away? Actually I increased it. I think if can re-Derect you to my post on 9/1/2015, I said before the season started this team had 8 wins on the schedule. I figured with a young secondary and QB it would be 6. And I have said the Apple Cup in Pullman will determine the Pac 12 north participant. So I am seeing 9 to 10 wins. How is that backing away from it 6-6?

And no, I am not obsessing over 2012. I am responding to other posts about it. Actually the 'post" that seemed to drive the most posts on this board in four months was a simple post saying maybe this is the year the expectations and results marry up. In 2012 (I will even lower the bar) the expectation was Leach would at least match what Wulff had done, the following year after losing three lineman and starting walk-ons the expectation was below 6-6 and no bowl. Then in 2014 after a bowl game no one expected the step back, and yet we did, and very few people expected 9-3 breaking in a new QB. The post wasn't about 2012, but rather evening out the expectations and have them in line with the results. And I think they will assuming falk stays healthy.

The only reason McCartney was ever brought up is I had said Wulff was no different than other coaches in his operation. (not talking about results). People would complain about him being rigid and not winning the hearts and minds of the players. Not a legit complaint. All coaches do that. Wulff ran some players. All coaches do that. That is the ONLY reason McCartney was brought up. You and others kept saying Leach wouldn't run a scholie player. I used him as an example of a player being run. And you argued that Leach doesn't do that. I wish I and waited four months as I knew two weeks before Golden, Duckett, Simmons were getting run out of town. I had zero problem with a former walkon getting the boot. The only thing that didn't make sense is he was already graduated. He could have played in the fall and the scholie still would have been available. In other words, him playing had no future baring on the 2013 recruiting class. If he wasn't graduated, and if his scholie was affecting recruiting yeah it would have made more sense. But I could care less if Wilson quit, Rodgers quit, Golden and Duckett got run. They have a finite time to get their players in.

Yes, I mentioned I didn't like the lineman being called out as they were. Nor did I like Wulff complaining about a former players son switching his commitment at the last minute. Or Asante Cleveland. I get such late switches affect him more than others. but pissing about it in the public. Either event put a coach in the cross hairs? Nope.

Yeah, I didn't like the school getting investigated for such nonsense. As Moos pointed out the S and G coach was out of line. Stopped the act. Do I believe Leach ever tells the s and c coach what to do in the pit? Nope. All I know is he says roll the mfers.

And I didn't say jack about the CU game until the season was over, and my comment that was a pivotal game. I also mentioned 100 times saying transitions are hard and Leach or anyone else should get a "pass".

You said quite a bit of jack right after the CU game was over.

Why do you bother even responding?

You complained ad nauseum about Leach back then and his treatment of the players. How he pulled scholarship offers that Wulff had given. How he ran off scholarship players. Now, you are trying to change what you wrote years later.

Wulff came in with a scorched earth policy from day one. I wrote about it back then, because I knew players on the team. Wulff played favorites and did everything to disrespect players. It wasn't about effort, like Leach preached. He was a complete #^$#$$ from day one.

That is the difference between not trying to win the hearts and minds of the players. He didn't care about them. Then, he would do a presser in the afternoon complaining about the players.

Last edited:
95---anyone can use that exact same lens. Don't forget we beat a Rutgers team that was missing their top four defensive backs and needed a late TD to win. Don't forget we beat an Oregon team without their QB and top wide out. We beat a Arizona team without their top defensive player in Scooby Wright and several other defensive players. Don't forget we lost to PSU. Don't forget we beat a CU team without their QB and they were horrible anyway. Don't forget we beat a really bad OSU team. See, that same lens can be used every year.

And when you talk about Tuel it isn''t just about his QB rating. I could go the UCLA tape in which UCLA scored a TD late and won that if Tuel was in there there would have been two more TD's. It was about the threat of his running and pulling the ball out of Galvins stomach. The DE was crashing down almost to the guard center gap because he knew Lobster was pulling the ball out. If he did, he would still be running.

Not sure how anyone didn't believe with the same team back, adding Guata that Leach could raise two more wins, in light of the team losing to Utah by 2 inches, and losing to UCLA late in the game.

But back to the bigger point, anyone can pick apart a schedule and say ASU quit, Utah doesn't play well in the cold, we beat a bad CU team (which by the way we lost to the following year) lost to a SDSU team tat didn't respect us. We could do that every year. Even in 2013 when we needed a win against Utah and they didn't have their starting qb or their back up, and a third string QB put up 35 on us, and we picked him twice for TD's. Such analysis can be done every single year.

Qb's who stick on the fringes of the NFL are scrubs. It is funny when it comes to Tuel, so many others thought so much more of him than our own fan base. And in terms of Halliday, I think the ASU game did show exactly what he had. Doesn't he hold the school records after playing two years?
Yeah, if you look back to the first page of this thread, when it was still about actual football, I mentioned the convenient timing of our Oregon game. But there's a difference right there.

The team grew up every week. They didn't fold after losing to PSU, they bounced back and won in the last minute on the road. They bounced back from the Cal loss and beat UO on the road. They bounced back from the Stanford loss to beat ASU, and then beat UCLA in a tough game on the road. They had leaders - Falk, Marks, Vaeao, Allison, etc., and they didn't quit for anything.

The 2012 team had statistical leaders, but no real leaders. They never showed up for the opener, and then did nothing all season. Even the CU loss, while disappointing, was predictable - CU really outplayed us most of the game. Our D never really stopped them, but their turnovers gave us the lead. Once they stopped turning it over, we weren't going to win. The only faint glimmer of maturity the whole season was in AC, when Tuel basically willed them to a win...and we still needed back-to-back monumentally bad plays by UW's kicker and QB.

I'm not going to speculate on what could have happened if Tuel played against UCLA, because there's no way to know. The simple truth is that there was no clear leader at QB all season - none of the 3 who played managed to get the team to play consistently.

The 2011 ASU game was a meaningless measure. Sure, he set a freshman record for yards...but how many times did DBs drop INTs, how many times did they just completely blow the coverage? That game forever gets an asterisk because it was more a result of bad defense than a dominating QB performance. And the records don't really mean anything. Coming into this season, Chad Davis was still in our record books, and he only played 2 years. Should we talk about what a great QB he was?

Yeah, if you look back to the first page of this thread, when it was still about actual football, I mentioned the convenient timing of our Oregon game. But there's a difference right there.

The team grew up every week. They didn't fold after losing to PSU, they bounced back and won in the last minute on the road. They bounced back from the Cal loss and beat UO on the road. They bounced back from the Stanford loss to beat ASU, and then beat UCLA in a tough game on the road. They had leaders - Falk, Marks, Vaeao, Allison, etc., and they didn't quit for anything.

The 2012 team had statistical leaders, but no real leaders. They never showed up for the opener, and then did nothing all season. Even the CU loss, while disappointing, was predictable - CU really outplayed us most of the game. Our D never really stopped them, but their turnovers gave us the lead. Once they stopped turning it over, we weren't going to win. The only faint glimmer of maturity the whole season was in AC, when Tuel basically willed them to a win...and we still needed back-to-back monumentally bad plays by UW's kicker and QB.

You complained ad nauseum about Leach back then and his treatment of the players. How he pulled scholarship offers that Wulff had given. How he ran off scholarship players. Now, you are trying to change what you wrote years later.

Wulff came in with a scorched earth policy from day one. I wrote about it back then, because I knew player on the team. Wulff played favorites and did everything to disrespect players. It wasn't about effort, like Leach preached. He was a complete #^$#$$ from day one.

That is the difference between not trying to win the hearts and minds of the players. He didn't care about them. Then, he would do a presser in the afternoon complaining about the players.
Actually I am not changing a thing that I wrote back in 2012. I knew two weeks ahead of time at least four kids were going to be run. Never wrote a word about it until now. Why? Cause it is the coaches right to do what HE thinks is best for the team. I am not there every day. I don't know what is going on in practice. Just like you weren't there for interactions either. I would bet if you talked to Duckett or Golden they felt they worked hard and the staff "played favorites". That is more than normal.

I don't care that kids got their scholies pulled. Again that entire discussion was because Dgibbins and others said Leach doesn't do it and that was one of many complaints about Wulff. Wulff had every right to boot Ivory and others. As people have eluded but haven't said Rowland quit on his team two weeks into camp. He is no different than Jake Rodgers, who also quit. Have you ever heard me say two words about the handling of Rodgers?

You think it is "respectful" to be called pussies and mother fers ? Coaches do what they need to do to get rid of the kids who aren't buying in. I wasn't there for the disrespect that the players relayed to you. Nor was I there for what the staff put Wulff's recruits through either. But as I have always maintained why that isn't a legit criticism is you are seeing it through the lens of kids, just as someone like Monroe, Wasseem, Golden Duckett could easily portray similar disrespect. And the whole Wulff complaining. Yeah, I wish he shut his mouth. But you think that is greatly different than what leach has said or done? Really? Zombies?

Again, running kids is part of the game. Having disenchanted players and parent is part of the game. As I mentioned before I knew two weeks at least four kids were gone, never said a word about it before or after until now. Why? Cause it is normal and it is done at every level by every coach. The faster the kids are gone the faster there replacements will be there.

And do I care what the kids think? Not really. I don't care why Bruggman left. I don't care why Wilson left. It is on them. Life isn't handed to them. Many probably have been spoon fed and believe their clippings like Ark Hall. Sports is a great tool to get people ready for real life.

Your whole "coach didn't like them" sounds so familiar. I know of a really well established basketball coach who was coaching an AAU team. The guy has coached for about 35 years. The team was doing fairly well, and the players before their third tourney wanted the guy fired. I was contacted by the director and was asked...ED what do I do now?. The players hate him and want the younger coach to coach. I asked what is the problem. Well he isn't nice, and he said that the team that just barely beat his team had 7 d1 kids on it and that we only have one." I said that is the truth. "But Ed you can't say that". So knowing the coach, it wasn't a slight. But months after the incident I asked one of the players. The player looked at me and said "Ed, no it was a compliment. We played a team with 7 d1 players and we have one and they only beat us by two.

The comment the coach made wasn't a slight at all. It was a compliment, but clearly players can be sensitive and VIEW them as they see. So, no, I don't put any stock into what the player you knew said, same as I don't in what Duckett, Golden, or Wilson had to say.

If the worse thing these kids endure is a hand stop sign gesture or being called a pussy, then they have lived a charmed life.

Wulff did the worst thing possible- he didn't give the team any chance to compete.

And no, I am not obsessing over 2012. I am responding to other posts about it. Actually the 'post" that seemed to drive the most posts on this board in four months was a simple post saying maybe this is the year the expectations and results marry up. In 2012 (I will even lower the bar) the expectation was Leach would at least match what Wulff had done, the following year after losing three lineman and starting walk-ons the expectation was below 6-6 and no bowl. Then in 2014 after a bowl game no one expected the step back, and yet we did, and very few people expected 9-3 breaking in a new QB. The post wasn't about 2012, but rather evening out the expectations and have them in line with the results. And I think they will assuming falk stays healthy.

Sounds quite a bit like a Donald Trump "I didn't start it!" argument, the kind Anderson Cooper categorized as the kind "a 5 year old" would make. As you near 60, what is your excuse? Perhaps the obsessive rants are due to the fact you're so alone here these days (see the blacklisting of nookie and the moronic little sis).

Reactions: CPtheCoug
Wulff did the worst thing possible- he didn't give the team any chance to compete.
With the exception in 2011 against SDSU, UCLA, Utah, Oregon, two powder puffs, UW, UCLA, Utah, and ASU. In that list all but Oregon they had a chance. But first three years ..yep...totally agree it was a mess.

With the exception in 2011 against SDSU, UCLA, Utah, Oregon, two powder puffs, UW, UCLA, Utah, and ASU. In that list all but Oregon they had a chance. But first three years ..yep...totally agree it was a mess.

The 2011 Apple Cup? Wulff curled up in the fetal position at the end and punted. I guess at least the game got to the fourth quarter before he quit. That sure is progress.

Sounds quite a bit like a Donald Trump "I didn't start it!" argument, the kind Anderson Cooper categorized as the kind "a 5 year old" would make. As you near 60, what is your excuse? Perhaps the obsessive rants are due to the fact you're so alone here these days (see the blacklisting of nookie and the moronic little sis).
Suffering from Derektile Dysfunction and thus causes the inability to read? I said I responded to what was written and offered my opinion. You see, the original discussion was matching expectations with results. The years there were expectations they didn't fair as well as when there were no expectations. Seemed like a minor point. But apparently there were no expectations in 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015. So I stand corrected on my original post. And if you read what I said I commented on 2013 and 2015 wildly exceeding expectations and not meeting expectations in 12 and 14. But I guess everyone thought that was a bowl team in 13 and knew they were going to 3-9 in 2014.

Nanookie,, feel free to tell me about my ex-wife that I don't know about. You clearly have lost your stalking talent.

I believe one of us might be a hair (not literally in your case) closer to 60 than others...but I digress.

The 2011 Apple Cup? Wulff curled up in the fetal position at the end and punted. I guess at least the game got to the fourth quarter before he quit. That sure is progress.
I know 45-10 is way closer. I would love for it to be a game in the 4th quarter against the UW, like it was in 08, 10, 11 and 2012. Get it to the 4th quarter and let Leach do his thing.

I know 45-10 is way closer. I would love for it to be a game in the 4th quarter against the UW, like it was in 08, 10, 11 and 2012. Get it to the 4th quarter and let Leach do his thing.

Comparing Leach to Wulff is pure foolishness. Leach won 9 games last season. You know, the same number Wulff won in four years....

It is funny...one coach has to "win the hearts and minds" the other coach "the leaders" were negative. Good grief.

Yes, of course there is shock when a coach takes over. The problem I have when you talk about having two players that had talent and the program didn't have 6-6 talent, 3/5's of the o line in 2013 were walkons and they got to 6-6/ The entire line in 2013 was kids recruited by Wulff. They lost a starting qb, 3/5's of the line and still came up with 6 wins. So I really struggle with the logic that there wasn't enough (read that word again) talent to get to six wins and have an offensive that put up more than 20 a game.

In 1990, 1995, 1998 it made sense we were going to take a step back. We lost so many players with experience. But that wasn't the case in 2012. We won 4 in 2011 with a coach who was fired, and they lead the entire UCLA game except the last three minutes (indication they could play with the LA team) and they were within an inch of beating Utah. So they potentially could have won six games in 2011, and returned everyone.

And Flat hit it right on the head in part. What that team needed was confidence to get to 6-6. They needed what the win in Rutgers provided. The 2015 Rutgers win was so important to the program, especially how they won. The 2012 CU game was in control. Finish that game out. BYU gave the game plan on how to defend the Air Raid, drop 8 in coverage. And here was the greatest problem of all when it came to offensive production...the slot position. In HINDSIGHT it was a mistake having Lintz and Galvin in the slot. (because of experience) That slot is so important to the offense, and they had no clue how to really play the position. The reason Tuel in part looked so indecisive is because the slots were inexperienced and ran to a predetermined spot. They ran into coverage. The route calls to run 7 yards to the break that is what they ran. The slot has to know how to cut off their route and "ad lib" a smidge. Galvin got better with experience. But that is exactly why the offense struggled, and that is why Tuel played so well down the stretch against the Huskies because Bartilone knew exactly how to run the patterns in the slot.

The CU game was needed to gain confidence, and it was in the coaches hands. That team was fragile. That is in part why they brought in a new coach, to help them with their confidence. Confidence doesn't come with the beach or up downs. It comes with making a simple play and winning.

The 2014 team were "his kids" and they folded. The 2014 Rutger's game was like the CU game in that it was a season defining moment. Just like this past season where the Rutgers game was a season defining moment. That wasn't about the beach, it was about making plays down the stretch.

There is no doubt in my mind if Falk was on the field at the end of the game against PSU we would have won. He is Joe Montana in that end of the game is fun for him.

And it is because of Falk I really believe we win ten games this year, he is such a difference maker.

There isn't a better play caller in the last two minutes and needing a score than Mike Leach. We just have to be within striking range of the Huskies or whoever and we will get them.

So yeah, I think the expectations of the team should be high. Does that mean if they go 6-6 we run around and say Leach is on the hot seat?

Crap, 1985 expectations were high with Rypien Porter and Mayes. They had a crappy opening opponent. Couldn't have been a worse way to start a season. Chris Miller and the Ducks. Defined the entire season.

Well.....back on the 1937 team.....;)

This tired ass argument again....

Paul Wulff after 4 years is now a position coach for an FCS school 4 years after he was fired from a Power 5 coaching position.

Mike Leach took a team that hasn't been to a bowl game in a decade twice to bowls, a 9 win season, beat everyone in the conference at least once except Stanford (which only had a missed field goal) including USC in the coliseum, Oregon in Autzen, UCLA in the rose bowl coached a player to a 1st round draft pick, beat Miami in the post season, and won coach of the year....

Seriously anyone that thinks Paul Wulff accomplished anything except tanking our depth and recruiting is honestly either stupid or naive. One or the other. Those are the only two options at this point as the facts are 100% clear.

Leach is a college football hall of fame inductee coach.
Paul Wulff is the greatest doing it the right way never was.

This tired ass argument again....

Paul Wulff after 4 years is now a position coach for an FCS school 4 years after he was fired from a Power 5 coaching position.

Mike Leach took a team that hasn't been to a bowl game in a decade twice to bowls, a 9 win season, beat everyone in the conference at least once except Stanford (which only had a missed field goal) including USC in the coliseum, Oregon in Autzen, UCLA in the rose bowl coached a player to a 1st round draft pick, beat Miami in the post season, and won coach of the year....

Seriously anyone that thinks Paul Wulff accomplished anything except tanking our depth and recruiting is honestly either stupid or naive. One or the other. Those are the only two options at this point as the facts are 100% clear.

Leach is a college football hall of fame inductee coach.
Paul Wulff is the greatest doing it the right way never was.

It truly is that simple...

Although I wouldn't see Leach being in the hall of fame until he wins a natty, whether at WSU or else where...

Suffering from Derektile Dysfunction and thus causes the inability to read? I said I responded to what was written and offered my opinion. You see, the original discussion was matching expectations with results. The years there were expectations they didn't fair as well as when there were no expectations. Seemed like a minor point. But apparently there were no expectations in 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015. So I stand corrected on my original post. And if you read what I said I commented on 2013 and 2015 wildly exceeding expectations and not meeting expectations in 12 and 14. But I guess everyone thought that was a bowl team in 13 and knew they were going to 3-9 in 2014.

Nanookie,, feel free to tell me about my ex-wife that I don't know about. You clearly have lost your stalking talent.

I believe one of us might be a hair (not literally in your case) closer to 60 than others...but I digress.

Keep stabbing in the dark of desperation. Btw, your channeling for chinooknuts is keeping you quite busy these days. Good show, old chap.

And Oregon was in no danger of losing to us. They never trailed, and had a 3 score lead on the 4th, it only looks respectable because their backups let us in the end zone inside 2 minutes to play.

Comparing Leach to Wulff is pure foolishness. Leach won 9 games last season. You know, the same number Wulff won in four years....
I am not comparing the two. I simply disagree with the fact the 2011 team was not competitive. And as you pointed out the 2010 and 11 Apple Cup was a game. 2015 not so much, and I would rather "punt" as you pout it and be in the game that getting blown out.

I am not comparing the two. I simply disagree with the fact the 2011 team was not competitive. And as you pointed out the 2010 and 11 Apple Cup was a game. 2015 not so much, and I would rather "punt" as you pout it and be in the game that getting blown out.

Yet another Wulffian defense. Does Chris Ball have pictures? (Let's hope not). By the way, please adhere to simple rules of English, and please no longer "pout."

So, regarding football, what is the definition of competitive in your mind?

Except you were, and are. Please point out where I said anything about the 2010 AC.

Jesus Ed. Your arguments are getting out there (they were already on the fringes of delusion). What exactly is your point? You prefer the Wulff regime due to competitive Apple Cups?

Except you were, and are. Please point out where I said anything about the 2010 AC.

Notice Ed's argument that the 2011 WSU team was competitive in the AC. Yet that team (which was down 28-14 with just over a minute left in the 3rd quarter and lost 35-21) was led by Marshall Lobbestael (29-42-1, 3 TDs, 344 yards). This is the same "back-up" that cost Wulff that magical and would-be pivotal 6-6 season in '11.
As for the 2010 AC, UW was up 28-14 in the second half until a couple of Jake Locker turnovers tightened the game. It was more of that than Wulff's prowess that produced the 35-28 final. But here we are in 2016, following a 9-win season, a bowl victory, and with very decent prospects this coming season, and Ed still has his chubby, stubby legs wrapped around CPW. The poor old sap continues to ignore how a perfect storm of injuries to the WSU offense produced last year's AC loss, one in which a "back up" had to play. This obsession of his knows no end. The drizzle of piss continues.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT