ADVERTISEMENT

My outlook for this season

1996 Apple Cup was more than 3 quarters of some of the worst football I'd seen to that point, and we were down 24-0. Corey Dillon goes down with cramps, and we come back to tie in the 4th. A massive momentum swing does not mean that 3/4 of the game wasn't completely lopsided.
That's not the point. Momentum is like competitiveness in a game: it can be fleeting and shifting (see the discussion about the furd/WSU game or the SC/ND game). Very few blowouts are as bad as the "take a knee" game between SC and WSU......

College football is different than when Wulff played. Freshmen play, and they succeed, and they do so at most positions. Wulff had this fairy tale that eventually he would have a roster with 40 4th & 5th year seniors. That's just not feasible in today's college football, and it's also not necessary.

All we heard in '09 was "wait till you get a load of Andre Barrington, Sekope Kaufusi and the rest of these red shirts." If those guys were so impactful, then eff their red shirts. Get them on the field while you can. It's so rare for guys to stay healthy and eligible for 5 years.
Fab...do you think if Dahl went down in 2014 they should have ripped Dillard's shirt? How about Hercules?

Would you rip Josh Garnett's redshirt if he was a freshman and you either wanted to or needed to? There is always value in bigger faster and stronger. That is why Leach tries to get as many kids redshirted as possible.

And let me ask one more question-we talk about Barrington being ready, so and so wait for him to develop. Let me ask you the following. With burning whatever redshirts they had, like Molton and whoever else you want to name, for the 2015 season (want to be sure this is not a Tuel question) what if Falk's injury against PSU was season ending, how do you feel WSU would have ended up? I say 4-7. Am I far off? My point is Falk did something very special. He is wired differently. I don't think there is a prayer that Bender gets us to .500. Do you?

Well, I have no problem--as I said--of games shifting from "competitive" to non-competitive, and sometimes back again. That's what happens when 19-year-olds are doing the heavy lifting. That's why score alone doesn't tell the story. Somewhere in a dry (hopefully) box, packed away are tapes sent me by the then AD Rosenbach, and on there is that Rueben Mayes game against Stanford. I would compare that game against ANY improbable comeback. What's interesting about the 74 SC/ND game was that that game was only "competitive" (in the traditional sense of the word), for about 3 minutes in the mid-3rd quarter....sandwiched in between two lopsided portions, one with the irish dominating, the other with the good guys. So, out of 60 minutes, that was not a competitive game for 90% of the time. That's why my standard makes the most sense: ask an impartial and knowledgeable observer.

I guess in Ed's world is a game where WSU leads by 3 at half, is behind by 18 at the start of the 4th, then wins in OT is not competitive.

You're right that score did not always tell the whole story of the Wulff era. Things like not scoring a TD during the first quarter for an entire season, getting shutout multiple times and ranking 110 or higher in numerous statistical categories filled in any blanks that weren't covered by the score and W-L record.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Fab...do you think if Dahl went down in 2014 they should have ripped Dillard's shirt? How about Hercules?

Would you rip Josh Garnett's redshirt if he was a freshman and you either wanted to or needed to? There is always value in bigger faster and stronger. That is why Leach tries to get as many kids redshirted as possible.

And let me ask one more question-we talk about Barrington being ready, so and so wait for him to develop. Let me ask you the following. With burning whatever redshirts they had, like Molton and whoever else you want to name, for the 2015 season (want to be sure this is not a Tuel question) what if Falk's injury against PSU was season ending, how do you feel WSU would have ended up? I say 4-7. Am I far off? My point is Falk did something very special. He is wired differently. I don't think there is a prayer that Bender gets us to .500. Do you?

Golly Ed, maybe Dillard wasn't the best guy to replace the starting LT in 2014, but do to development during his redshirt year, he became the best option. Totally false premise here.

I guess in Ed's world is a game where WSU leads by 3 at half, is behind by 18 at the start of the 4th, then wins in OT is not competitive.

You're right that score did not always tell the whole story of the Wulff era. Things like not scoring a TD during the first quarter for an entire season, getting shutout multiple times and ranking 110 or higher in numerous statistical categories filled in any blanks that weren't covered by the score and W-L record.

Actually Dgibs...you are wrong. I thought the 2012 was competitive. Once they stopped turning the ball over. I thought 2010 was a competitive Apple Cup. I thought 2011 was competitive but UW had it in hand. I thought 2013 they had a chance, didn't make plays. I don't think 2014 the AC was competitive, and the 2015 was for a half then got blown out.

Auditioning for "mommy of the year," I see. Go cry on Dan Wulff's shoulder. For the record, Ed dipped into his usual reference to Cougar football more than 15 years ago before I chastised him for a 6-6 prediction he IN FACT made for 2016. Ed often uses the 5-year-old Trumpian excuse "He started it!... I'm just responding." If your argument is that I shouldn't respond to anything he posts however repetitive and idiotic it is, well, thank you for being the best mommy you can be. You can always ignore my posts instead of whining about them. It is an option, no? Have a nice day.

I'm not auditioning for mommy of the year. I'm just pointing out that you are a freaking troll. You don't bring anything to the table beyond personal attacks. Even your first post about pollyanna's was clearly a childish attempt to get a rise out of people like Ed. As far as ignoring your post(s), I was doing a friendly service of letting CrimsonWazzu know which poster is the fool who has the real obsession with Wulff (and Ed). If you just got over it and tried to post about Cougar football........the board would be a better place. Feel free to continue with the personal attacks.....it is your thing.

Reactions: spongebob3
I'm not auditioning for mommy of the year. I'm just pointing out that you are a freaking troll. You don't bring anything to the table beyond personal attacks. Even your first post about pollyanna's was clearly a childish attempt to get a rise out of people like Ed. As far as ignoring your post(s), I was doing a friendly service of letting CrimsonWazzu know which poster is the fool who has the real obsession with Wulff (and Ed). If you just got over it and tried to post about Cougar football........the board would be a better place. Feel free to continue with the personal attacks.....it is your thing.

Why the obsession to defend Ed? Like Ed, you've been handed your lunch so many times on this board that it's understandable you're bitter. You sound a lot like Ed's blacklisted brother, or nooknuts, for that matter. STHU

Reactions: longtimecoug

Was Dillard the next best guy? Then yep.

Was Hercules? Then yep.

Was Garnett? Then yep.

Too much can happen before you get to that 5th year. Look at Barrington. Lot of good that RS year did him. Gave him plenty of time to run his... ahem... side business, if you will.

And I have no idea what Falk or Bender have to do with it.

I agree with Fab5's post completely. If a freshman can start or contribute significantly, then play him. If not, then give him a redshirt year to improve. As Fab mentioned, there is no guarantee that the kid will be available for another four years after the current one. Injuries, academics etc. impair players' production frequently. If the young man is good enough as a redshirt junior to go pro then his senior year is lost. Or he can graduate and transfer. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" comes to mind.

Why the obsession to defend Ed? Like Ed, you've been handed your lunch so many times on this board that it's understandable you're bitter. You sound a lot like Ed's blacklisted brother, or nooknuts, for that matter. STHU

I'm not defending Ed, I'm saying that you're a freakin' troll that ruins threads by attacking others. Again, look at your first four posts and tell us what value you brought to the conversation. The answer is clearly "how to look like a dick on the internet".

I'm not defending Ed, I'm saying that you're a freakin' troll that ruins threads by attacking others. Again, look at your first four posts and tell us what value you brought to the conversation. The answer is clearly "how to look like a dick on the internet".
you are defending the ED position that wulff wasn't that bad, the main tenet of the 600K club

you are defending the ED position that wulff wasn't that bad, the main tenet of the 600K club
Longtime...that is an interesting take. So let's for the sake of this discussion say the topic was about Wulff being ok as a coach vs. what I thought my discussion was is that WSU over the last four years have had uneven results in comparison to expectations. Both underachieving (2012, 2014) and overachieving (2013, 2015).

Lets say I was defending Wulff and the 600k club. What you are saying is that warrants Yaki's behavior? So if you disagree with someone's point of view you are ok with the retorts and bad behavior? Is that correct?

Not quite sure why you or others see that as defending Wulff. He has been gone four years now. And let me help you out. When I say 2011 was a competitive year, I would say that if Leach, Doba, Price, Walden or Sweeney coached it. You could remove the name Wulff and we could talk about 2011 and I would say there was talent on the team and that team was competitive, It just so happened was coached by the devil. Doesn't change the fact if you, I, Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders coached it, I would still make the case it was a competitive team.

But back to the Flat's comments- you disagree with his view on Yaki's behavior? And you think such behavior is acceptable?

Was Dillard the next best guy? Then yep.

Was Hercules? Then yep.

Was Garnett? Then yep.

Too much can happen before you get to that 5th year. Look at Barrington. Lot of good that RS year did him. Gave him plenty of time to run his... ahem... side business, if you will.

And I have no idea what Falk or Bender have to do with it.

Fab, several thoughts---you don't think he would have run his side business if he had his redshirt pulled? Are you saying when you are redshirted they don't attend meetings and practice? You would be literally shocked at the people in the program that have been in the import/export biz. Some redshirted, some didn't.

Allison played his freshman year. Was that a good idea? There is something to be said for having mature kids and physically ready kids to play. The younger kids may be "better". The older kids may be more efficient.

There is no "golden" rule but in most cases the kids are better off being redshirted. I think Allison even though he was very mature would have been better off. Molton probably not. Daquan Brown, probably. Charleston White, for sure. Dom Williams? Yep. Any lineman, yeah I think it has to help them.

In terms of Falk and Bender, we make so much out of redshirting or not, out of culture change, people buying in. The real truth is Falk is so special that was the difference between 9-3 and 5-7. Without Falk, it wouldn't have matter who redshirted, who bought in, how they won't get down etc. Falk has "it". Something that Gesser nor Leaf had that young.

Longtime...that is an interesting take. So let's for the sake of this discussion say the topic was about Wulff being ok as a coach vs. what I thought my discussion was is that WSU over the last four years have had uneven results in comparison to expectations. Both underachieving (2012, 2014) and overachieving (2013, 2015).

Lets say I was defending Wulff and the 600k club. What you are saying is that warrants Yaki's behavior? So if you disagree with someone's point of view you are ok with the retorts and bad behavior? Is that correct?

Not quite sure why you or others see that as defending Wulff. He has been gone four years now. And let me help you out. When I say 2011 was a competitive year, I would say that if Leach, Doba, Price, Walden or Sweeney coached it. You could remove the name Wulff and we could talk about 2011 and I would say there was talent on the team and that team was competitive, It just so happened was coached by the devil. Doesn't change the fact if you, I, Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders coached it, I would still make the case it was a competitive team.

But back to the Flat's comments- you disagree with his view on Yaki's behavior? And you think such behavior is acceptable?

You were. That's what you do. And you can't stop doing it. That's why you take trips down memory lane, like the awesomeness of the 2011 season. You're fond of saying that Wulff has been gone, three years, four years, and soon it will be five. But you're very quick to defend him. Tuel got a cup of coffee in the league, same with Fullington, Leach underachieved, blah, blah, blah.

By the way, getting whooped by the last place team in your division in 2011 means your team is bad.

You were. That's what you do. And you can't stop doing it. That's why you take trips down memory lane, like the awesomeness of the 2011 season. You're fond of saying that Wulff has been gone, three years, four years, and soon it will be five. But you're very quick to defend him. Tuel got a cup of coffee in the league, same with Fullington, Leach underachieved, blah, blah, blah.

By the way, getting whooped by the last place team in your division in 2011 means your team is bad.
Good try. I said they were competitive. You disagree. If Doba coached the team I would say they were competitive. Again, the conversation was sidetracked. As you well know it was about expectations.

How in the world do you come to the conclusion of Flat's comment that Yaki is a troll and brings nothing to the table equal Wulff wasn't a bad coach?

That boggles the mind.

Fab, several thoughts---you don't think he would have run his side business if he had his redshirt pulled? Are you saying when you are redshirted they don't attend meetings and practice? You would be literally shocked at the people in the program that have been in the import/export biz. Some redshirted, some didn't.

Allison played his freshman year. Was that a good idea? There is something to be said for having mature kids and physically ready kids to play. The younger kids may be "better". The older kids may be more efficient.

There is no "golden" rule but in most cases the kids are better off being redshirted. I think Allison even though he was very mature would have been better off. Molton probably not. Daquan Brown, probably. Charleston White, for sure. Dom Williams? Yep. Any lineman, yeah I think it has to help them.

In terms of Falk and Bender, we make so much out of redshirting or not, out of culture change, people buying in. The real truth is Falk is so special that was the difference between 9-3 and 5-7. Without Falk, it wouldn't have matter who redshirted, who bought in, how they won't get down etc. Falk has "it". Something that Gesser nor Leaf had that young.

No, I'm not saying red shirting was the reason Barrington did what he did. I was just making a joke. I'm saying red shirting him was useless cause he flamed out the next year anyway. For every Jeremiah Allison you can come up with, I'm sure I could think of 2 or 3 guys who red shirted, then didn't complete their eligibility anyway. Daquawn Brown is a good example. Good thing he didn't red shirt, we got 2 years out of him instead of 1.

Ideally, on paper, yes you redshirt everyone. But, we're not operating in a vacuum.

Still not following what Falk has to do with it.

Good try. I said they were competitive. You disagree. If Doba coached the team I would say they were competitive. Again, the conversation was sidetracked. As you well know it was about expectations.

Expectations for the 2016 season. And you sidetracked it.

Expectations for the 2016 season. And you sidetracked it.
Not at all. Simply said I thought this was the year where expectations and results are one in the same. I simply pointed to the fact in 2012 and 14 results didn't match preseason expectations, and 2013 and 2015 exceeded them. Again, I applaud you for being the only one in 2012 and 2014 that thought they would be 3-9, and in 2013 and 2015 bowl teams of 6-6 and 9-3.

Not at all. Simply said I thought this was the year where expectations and results are one in the same. I simply pointed to the fact in 2012 and 14 results didn't match preseason expectations, and 2013 and 2015 exceeded them. Again, I applaud you for being the only one in 2012 and 2014 that thought they would be 3-9, and in 2013 and 2015 bowl teams of 6-6 and 9-3.

Do you not get that in this very post you're admitting that you sidetracked this thread?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT