ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA restores year of eligibility for spring sports

I'm curious the takes on the NCAA extra year of eligibility for spring sports athletes.

If I'm a Transfer currently sitting out or JC Transfer coming in or an incoming Freshmen I'm a little upset about it. I may want to rethink my choice of school since I was recruited to replace & play right away for a graduating senior. What are my options to get out of this binding agreement now that I'm not seeing playing time???

I'm curious the takes on the NCAA extra year of eligibility for spring sports athletes.

If I'm a Transfer currently sitting out or JC Transfer coming in or an incoming Freshmen I'm a little upset about it. I may want to rethink my choice of school since I was recruited to replace & play right away for a graduating senior. What are my options to get out of this binding agreement now that I'm not seeing playing time???
I would think that most schools will do the right thing considering the unprecedented times. Some of these kids will have friends or family members in their hometown who will pass away from this. A year is a pretty long time in an 18 year olds life, if they have a change of heart for one reason or another right now let them out of their commitment.

The NCAA decision is the right move, but it could be a costly one. Extending a scholarship for an additional season could further impact athletic department budgets even though a majority of baseball scholarships are partial, I think. (I'm assuming it's the same for track, tennis, golf, etc.) In reality, I still don't see a lot of seniors coming back next year unless they are baseball players likely to be drafted. A majority of seniors would not be drafted and probably have their careers & jobs lined up. For those seniors (& actually draftable juniors in baseball), this gets pretty complicated. MLB will be limited to as few as 5 rounds instead of the normal 40 under an agreement struck with the players association. Anyone not drafted would be a free agent but limited to a signing bonus of no more than $20,000. That probably will deter most non-seniors from going pro (if they aren't drafted in those first 5 rounds) and could persuade seniors likely to be drafted to stay in school. Of course, the really good players will be drafted in the first 5 rounds and probably sign. It's expected that most HS baseball players will go to college since only the very best will probably be drafted in the first 5 rounds.

Other considerations include the fact that scouts haven't had a chance to see much of players this spring....only a portion of the schedule was played. Also, seniors who opt to come back next year will be a year older, and that's always a consideration when MLB teams consider drafting someone or paying them premium bonuses.

Bottom line: every collegiate spring athlete is essentially redshirting this year. That's something no coach ever considered possible when they were recruiting next year's class. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

Glad Cougar

Across the country, many ‘Spring Seniors’ are going to be gently counseled to move on with their lives. The cost per school to keep them another year will be unaffordable in light of the NCAA financial woes.

The NCAA decision is the right move, but it could be a costly one. Extending a scholarship for an additional season could further impact athletic department budgets even though a majority of baseball scholarships are partial, I think. (I'm assuming it's the same for track, tennis, golf, etc.) In reality, I still don't see a lot of seniors coming back next year unless they are baseball players likely to be drafted. A majority of seniors would not be drafted and probably have their careers & jobs lined up. For those seniors (& actually draftable juniors in baseball), this gets pretty complicated. MLB will be limited to as few as 5 rounds instead of the normal 40 under an agreement struck with the players association. Anyone not drafted would be a free agent but limited to a signing bonus of no more than $20,000. That probably will deter most non-seniors from going pro (if they aren't drafted in those first 5 rounds) and could persuade seniors likely to be drafted to stay in school. Of course, the really good players will be drafted in the first 5 rounds and probably sign. It's expected that most HS baseball players will go to college since only the very best will probably be drafted in the first 5 rounds.

Other considerations include the fact that scouts haven't had a chance to see much of players this spring....only a portion of the schedule was played. Also, seniors who opt to come back next year will be a year older, and that's always a consideration when MLB teams consider drafting someone or paying them premium bonuses.

Bottom line: every collegiate spring athlete is essentially redshirting this year. That's something no coach ever considered possible when they were recruiting next year's class. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

Glad Cougar
For most seniors, this won't make a big difference. They weren't going to get drafted anyway, but they're going to graduate before another season rolls around. Most of them are going to end up just losing their senior year and getting on with their lives.

I think the most reasonable, equitable solution - and the one that is easiest to transition away from - is make it so those players who would have exhausted their eligibility this spring don't count toward next year's roster and scholarship limits. The same could be applied next fall if this impacts football/volleyball/etc.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
For most seniors, this won't make a big difference. They weren't going to get drafted anyway, but they're going to graduate before another season rolls around. Most of them are going to end up just losing their senior year and getting on with their lives.

I think the most reasonable, equitable solution - and the one that is easiest to transition away from - is make it so those players who would have exhausted their eligibility this spring don't count toward next year's roster and scholarship limits. The same could be applied next fall if this impacts football/volleyball/etc.

I like this idea. It would lessen the "talent back up" situation that the extra year for everyone causes.

I like this idea. It would lessen the "talent back up" situation that the extra year for everyone causes.
Freshmen need to take the long view on this too. They effectively just got a free season of practice and a couple of games. Next year they’ll be freshmen again. They could end up with 6 years in program easily. This could turn into a highly developed class with better than average draft depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT