ADVERTISEMENT

New TV agreement to reduce number of late kickoffs in the Pac-12

Huge. Now maybe those of us east of the Rockies can finish watching games the same day those games start.

The implications of "an over and back" may become tolerable. Leaving Martin at 11:00PM for a 300 mile return home is just simply excruciatingly brutal.

The implications of "an over and back" may become tolerable. Leaving Martin at 11:00PM for a 300 mile return home is just simply excruciatingly brutal.
You do bring up a point, I'm guessing you didn't mean to… So with those late nights, Pullman business's were receiving more business. Hotels, restaurants, gas, downtown. People were staying there longer. Now it's possible to show up during game day and leave the same day… Wonder what the unintended consequences of this will be, if any…

For such a small town, this move as small as it appears to be, could have big ripple affects on the town business. Will be interesting to watch that.

I'd wager it could help with attendance of games, so that might equal it out, sort of speak.

Regardless, good move.

You do bring up a point, I'm guessing you didn't mean to… So with those late nights, Pullman business's were receiving more business. Hotels, restaurants, gas, downtown. People were staying there longer. Now it's possible to show up during game day and leave the same day… Wonder what the unintended consequences of this will be, if any…

For such a small town, this move as small as it appears to be, could have big ripple affects on the town business. Will be interesting to watch that.

I'd wager it could help with attendance of games, so that might equal it out, sort of speak.

Regardless, good move.

I don't think that Pullman has so many hotel rooms that there will suddenly be a glut of rooms and lost revenue for hotels. The people who want to stay in Pullman will usually still be staying. Future hotel owners would probably need to evaluate the market based on the change though. I agree that restaurants have the potential to see a hit unless attendance picks up to counter the potentially shorter stays.

I don't think that Pullman has so many hotel rooms that there will suddenly be a glut of rooms and lost revenue for hotels. The people who want to stay in Pullman will usually still be staying. Future hotel owners would probably need to evaluate the market based on the change though. I agree that restaurants have the potential to see a hit unless attendance picks up to counter the potentially shorter stays.
I think restaurants may see a slight increase. Bars definitely will. I agree that the impact to hotels will likely be negligible.

On a VERY MINIMAL note, there were times where I couldn't take Friday off work to drive to Pullman from the West-side. Leaving Saturday morning to Pullman and having a nice afternoon to relax + tailgate before the night game was ideal at times.

Honestly though, afternoon games are where its at!

Agree with 95. The restaurants are already packed and with the games ending around dinner time the demand for food will increase. Folks will be hungry, ready for dinner and may well decide to spend an hour eating in order to avoid the traffic.

Also like my fellow islander, M-I-Coug, I find driving in the dark at 4:00am to be miserable. Now I am staying in a motel in Colfax but might decide in the future to drive back following afternoon games. But with the dearth of lodging in the Pullman area I doubt whether my absence and the absence of a few others would affect the motel proprietors to any significant extent. Rooms would still be packed.

I still remember the Cal game that ended after midnight. Thank God for Best Western. Driving back to the soggy side must have been excruciating. And how many east coast Cougs watching that game lasted until after three in the morning.

I just don't see any detriment to the motels, restaurants or bars near Pullman. Motels and restaurants are already limited. And bars on a Cougar football weekend? No comment. Travelers still have to buy gasoline. Whether they do so at 6pm, midnight or the next morning does not matter. This schedule alteration is only positive for attendees and will have little or no effect on Pullman's businesses.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Agree with 95. The restaurants are already packed and with the games ending around dinner time the demand for food will increase. Folks will be hungry, ready for dinner and may well decide to spend an hour eating in order to avoid the traffic.

Also like my fellow islander, M-I-Coug, I find driving in the dark at 4:00am to be miserable. Now I am staying in a motel in Colfax but might decide in the future to drive back following afternoon games. But with the dearth of lodging in the Pullman area I doubt whether my absence and the absence of a few others would affect the motel proprietors to any significant extent. Rooms would still be packed.

I still remember the Cal game that ended after midnight. Thank God for Best Western. Driving back to the soggy side must have been excruciating. And how many east coast Cougs watching that game lasted until after three in the morning.

I just don't see any detriment to the motels, restaurants or bars near Pullman. Motels and restaurants are already limited. And bars on a Cougar football weekend? No comment. Travelers still have to buy gasoline. Whether they do so at 6pm, midnight or the next morning does not matter. This schedule alteration is only positive for attendees and will have little or no effect on Pullman's businesses.
The hotel and RV crowd isn't going to change, the only variable is the drive-home crowd. I think that for 2:30 games, there will be more people who drive home (more attendees total), and more of them will buy dinner post-game.
There could be a small decrease in the restaurant crowd on Sunday morning, but there will still be a line at Old European.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT