ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Haves and Have nots Revisited

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Still can't get a grip on how nuts this has become. As mentioned somewhere else, Reggie Bush lost his Heisman and USC had to vacate wins over actions that are more than commonplace now. Wasn't SMU's death penalty over the same things?

As I see it, the only way to rein this in is for the have nots (that's us) to band together and try to get the Supreme Court and NCAA's decision (and lack of) modified to reflect the true intent of the SC ruling. Yes an athlete can go sign up with Joe's Chevrolet and be a poster boy for money. It might be outrageous in some cases but it should be Joe writing the checks for the world to see. This Collective crap totally flies in the face of the NIL concept. Name, Image and Likeness. Like a side job. That's all athletes wanted originally was some pizza money.

Would take some pressure off of the schools as well. You want to transfer here for money? Well, son (or daughter), have at it. I suppose supplying a list of potential suitors would be OK.

I know, ridiculous of me to think these horses could be brought back into the barn. But would be curious to hear what folks here, particularly you attorneys, think about this possibility. Otherwise we are looking at 3 levels of Division I.

The problem is the NCAA is no longer in charge, the athletes keep winning in court, and the networks keep throwing money at it. I don’t see how it gets reeled back. It’s out of control and they only way to reset things is after this new out of control system implodes. For that to happen the networks need to cut off the cash flow to the conferences. And that happens when people quit watching.

The problem is the NCAA is no longer in charge, the athletes keep winning in court, and the networks keep throwing money at it. I don’t see how it gets reeled back. It’s out of control and they only way to reset things is after this new out of control system implodes. For that to happen the networks need to cut off the cash flow to the conferences. And that happens when people quit watching.
The athletes "keep" winning in court? I'm not aware of any court cases involving athletes since the Supreme Court ruling.

Also, what does network money have to do with NIL? Network money goes to the schools, not the athletes. And the schools can't do NIL's or fund the Collectives.

From what I read, the SC ruling said that athletes have the right to get NIL $$, and the NCAA then made the rules - or lack thereof. I think they could do some reeling back in if they have any balls. Which they don't.

Wait for the House case, and others coming. Take the portal, no restriction, the portal and NIL go hand in hand. UW just hired Fisch, there is nothing to stop him from encouraging his players to hit the portal, which they are allowed to do within 30 days of a coach leaving. Then the UW NIL group can start offering all the Arizona players deals. There is nothing in place to stop them from taking 5,10,15 players or more. Yes there is a schoolarship limit, so kick some guys of the team to make room.

Losing a coach to a school is usually a big set back. If that coach can then take 1/2 his roster and gut the program he just left is that right? It’s f’d up is what it is, and sadly it’s legal.

Wait for the House case, and others coming. Take the portal, no restriction, the portal and NIL go hand in hand. UW just hired Fisch, there is nothing to stop him from encouraging his players to hit the portal, which they are allowed to do within 30 days of a coach leaving. Then the UW NIL group can start offering all the Arizona players deals. There is nothing in place to stop them from taking 5,10,15 players or more. Yes there is a schoolarship limit, so kick some guys of the team to make room.

Losing a coach to a school is usually a big set back. If that coach can then take 1/2 his roster and gut the program he just left is that right? It’s f’d up is what it is, and sadly it’s legal.
There’s actually a rule that basically encourages it. A 30 day window opens up for anyone to get a free transfer. SomGD stupid. Players should be committing to schools and not to coaches and the rules should be set up to reflect this.

There’s actually a rule that basically encourages it. A 30 day window opens up for anyone to get a free transfer. SomGD stupid. Players should be committing to schools and not to coaches and the rules should be set up to reflect this.

I don't mind the transfer portal allowing players to leave when their situation changes. This isn't like the NFL where a player gets guaranteed money even when he's not playing. That said, it's too bad that Title IX has everything so jacked up that the NCAA and schools can't just pay players directly with contracts and be done with it.

I’d write into my coach’s contract an extra $1M buyout for each player that follows him to his new school.

The athletes "keep" winning in court? I'm not aware of any court cases involving athletes since the Supreme Court ruling.

Also, what does network money have to do with NIL? Network money goes to the schools, not the athletes. And the schools can't do NIL's or fund the Collectives.

From what I read, the SC ruling said that athletes have the right to get NIL $$, and the NCAA then made the rules - or lack thereof. I think they could do some reeling back in if they have any balls. Which they don't.
I am not going to list all the current cases against the NCAA, google it. The most recent is athletes demanding to get paid. The claim is they are like employees of the university and should be paid like employees.

As for network money and NIL there is a big relationship, yes the NIL is supposed to be out side the university funds. Network dollars are used for operations, facilities and coaches salaries to name a few. The more costs the net work funds cover the less you need from the boosters, so now the boosters are encouraged to put money into NIL. As an example Washington and Oregon are receiving 30 million a year from the big 10, while the rest of them get 50 million or more. So the Uw and Oregon have to got to the boosters to make up the 20 million gap to be competitive. In addition to that they have to hit up the boosters for more NIL money. Not sure how much Washington can pull from their boosters, of course Oregon has shoe dog billionaire.

I am not going to list all the current cases against the NCAA, google it. The most recent is athletes demanding to get paid. The claim is they are like employees of the university and should be paid like employees.

As for network money and NIL there is a big relationship, yes the NIL is supposed to be out side the university funds. Network dollars are used for operations, facilities and coaches salaries to name a few. The more costs the net work funds cover the less you need from the boosters, so now the boosters are encouraged to put money into NIL. As an example Washington and Oregon are receiving 30 million a year from the big 10, while the rest of them get 50 million or more. So the Uw and Oregon have to got to the boosters to make up the 20 million gap to be competitive. In addition to that they have to hit up the boosters for more NIL money. Not sure how much Washington can pull from their boosters, of course Oregon has shoe dog billionaire.
Unless I completely misunderstand the business model, and assuming that uncle Phil pledged to shore up the funding gap for Oregon in the B10 back when they stabbed the rest of us, that means that UW will be the least-funded (read: poorest) athletic program in the B10. By tens of millions. For many years. There is a thread on Brand X that is lifted from the Arizona board, which discloses/ estimates NIL money for each school in the league. Because Furd and SC are private, they have no data available. We, OSU and Cal are at the bottom in the $3+ mil range. CO, UCLA, ASU and UA are in the $5-6 mil range. Utah is $7-ish. UW is $9-ish. And Whoregon is about a Mil more than UW. So UW has already tapped its boosters for $9+ mil. There is simply no way they can suck another $9 out of their boosters on top of the current rate. So they will be $10-20 mil behind even the lower level, less supported B10 teams for how long until they get a full share? Wasn't it 5 years? That is an eternity when it comes to making a team irrelevant.

Also fun to read on the Arizona board thread is the assertion from multiple folks, including their moderator, that Fisch promised NIL money that he did not have, and there was concern that he would get bit by that in the coming season. They made it sound like Fisch jumped just in time to avoid those consequences.

UW is now Rutgers West.

You mean this one as an example? I'll look further too. This article paints a pretty nasty picture of USC. If I was up against USC recruiting, I'd send this to the prospect. Fingerprinting at the training table? Wow.

Just as well that WSU adjusts to its place and gets the new PacWest in place. We can't compete with the big boys anymore. But ya know, the little boys do rise up on occasion. As we know.

Last edited:
I’d write into my coach’s contract an extra $1M buyout for each player that follows him to his new school.
Or just have them sign a "non-compete" clause for a year.

Players can still transfer if a coach leaves, they just can't follow their former coach to his new school. That's all I have to say about that.

Or just have them sign a "non-compete" clause for a year.

Players can still transfer if a coach leaves, they just can't follow their former coach to his new school. That's all I have to say about that.
I don't know about restricting the players. It's not their fault the coach leaves. Why punish them?

I don't know about restricting the players. It's not their fault the coach leaves. Why punish them?
It's not a punishment. They can still use the portal. But at least it has the illusion/deterrence affect of tampering by the former coach.

They don't t have to stay at their current school because their coaching situation changed. But they now are basically unrestricted free agents for every other school, except their former coaches new school. Taihtsat

Unless I completely misunderstand the business model, and assuming that uncle Phil pledged to shore up the funding gap for Oregon in the B10 back when they stabbed the rest of us, that means that UW will be the least-funded (read: poorest) athletic program in the B10. By tens of millions. For many years. There is a thread on Brand X that is lifted from the Arizona board, which discloses/ estimates NIL money for each school in the league. Because Furd and SC are private, they have no data available. We, OSU and Cal are at the bottom in the $3+ mil range. CO, UCLA, ASU and UA are in the $5-6 mil range. Utah is $7-ish. UW is $9-ish. And Whoregon is about a Mil more than UW. So UW has already tapped its boosters for $9+ mil. There is simply no way they can suck another $9 out of their boosters on top of the current rate. So they will be $10-20 mil behind even the lower level, less supported B10 teams for how long until they get a full share? Wasn't it 5 years? That is an eternity when it comes to making a team irrelevant.

Also fun to read on the Arizona board thread is the assertion from multiple folks, including their moderator, that Fisch promised NIL money that he did not have, and there was concern that he would get bit by that in the coming season. They made it sound like Fisch jumped just in time to avoid those consequences.

UW is now Rutgers West.
In reality, since NIL money doesn’t flow through the schools - and isn’t allowed to - none of them have real data on how much is on their roster. There’s probably no reliable clearinghouse for that data.

UW is now Rutgers West.
They are indeed. This idea they are flush with cash and can go grab a bunch of high priced nil kids is comical. They are in the bottom 1/3 of their conference when it comes to resources and will be for some time. Jed Fisch did a fine job rebuilding arizonas program but this is an uphill battle with how uw is positioned. And if he can do it again he will high tail it to the SEC just as Debouer did.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT