ADVERTISEMENT

NIL, the transfer portal and wsu

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
I don’t suspect WSU will be a player in the NIL. Ward they had to have . They knew JDL couldn’t be relied on. Physically or emotionally. For Dickert and staff to be remotely successful they had to have a qb on campus . Leach inherited two. Dickert was going to have zero. They had to pay a price for Ward.

But I suspect in the future with Morris on staff he will do what Leach did, get average talent QB’s to stay on campus, like Gabalis and he starts his senior year when he can play with his eyes closed.

In terms of portal participation , we are looking at Nevada players because our new DC coached there . I suspect we will take a couple players a year and give these kids a chance . But I do believe Dickert will go heavily into high school next year .

Ed, agree 100%. With what looks like a great recruiting staff, and the worst of the covid year hangover past, we will go after HS kids. The presence of the portal virtually guarantees that we will have 25 opens spots each year, so I'm thinking we will have a lot of years that look like 17-19 HS kids, 1-2 Juco kids, and the rest portal transfers. Many of the portal kids will be from FCS or lower level D1 schools, and I'd guess that between one third and a half will be grad transfers with only 1 year of eligibility. A point not often raised is that, at least in theory, the portal kids offer the least threat to fail academically, since they ought to have a reasonable academic track record to judge.

The problem with the HS route is the local talent sucks and this reckoning has been coming way before Tracy Ford could even drive a car.

Weaker demographics, no NWAC football, poorly run WIAA, and some HS coaching positions are "closed shop" gigs.

I expect Morris will be mining the hell out of TX. He has spent a lot of time in that State, and has deep ties with the High School coaching staffs.

Reactions: cougcowboy
The West Coast kids that WSU gets are in no way, shape or form ready for high school ball in Texas.

If WSU is not able to come up with NIL deals and the focus is high school players, get ready to see WSU lose starters every year.

Reactions: mikalalas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT