ADVERTISEMENT

No Bowl Game - FBS teams with 7 losses before Thanksgiving

FnuLnu

Hall Of Fame
Dec 11, 2017
AAC (5): South Florida, UConn, East Carolina, Houston, Tulsa
ACC (4): NC State, Syracuse, Duke, Georgia Tech (UNC & BC at 5-6 at present)
Big 12 (3): Kansas, West Virginia, Texas Tech (TCU 5-6 at present)
Big Ten (4): Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Northwestern (Nebraska & Michigan State at 5-6 present)
Conference USA (6): Middle Tenn St., Old Dominion, North Texas, Rice, UTEP, UTSA
MAC (4): Akron (winless), Bowling Green, Ball State, Northern Illinois (Kent State & Ohio at 5-6 at present)
Mountain West (5): Colorado State, New Mexico, Fresno State, UNLV, San Jose State
Pac12 (3): Arizona, Stanford, UCLA (Oregon State & Colorado at 5-6 at present)
SEC (4): Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss (Missouri* & Miss State at 5-6 at present)
Sun Belt (3): Coastal Carolina, South Alabama, Texas State (Troy & UL Monroe at 5-6 at present)
Indy (2): New Mexico State, UMass (Army at 5-6 at present with 2 games left. Liberty played two FCS teams needs one more win for 7 wins but will be hosting New Mexico State.)

Based on their opponents Michigan State & Ohio will be heavy favorites to get 6 wins (and avoid 7 losses)

Colorado, Oregon State, Troy, UL Monroe, Nebraska, Army have tough roads to be bowl eligible.

*Missouri (Jim Sterk AD) has easy game to win (Arkansas) to be bowl eligible but has a 1 year NCAA bowl ban with an appeal that was rejected on 11/26.

Last edited:
If it were up to me you'd have to have 8 wins minimum. Unfortunately there are so many bowls it will ever happen. I hope they jump the 2nd shark and expand to so many bowl games that every team gets to play in one. We'll get down to an average of less than 1k fans per game in attendance and maybe, just maybe they'll contract to a reasonable number of games.

If it were up to me you'd have to have 8 wins minimum. Unfortunately there are so many bowls it will ever happen. I hope they jump the 2nd shark and expand to so many bowl games that every team gets to play in one. We'll get down to an average of less than 1k fans per game in attendance and maybe, just maybe they'll contract to a reasonable number of games.

While I agree that there are too many bowl games (the ACC and SEC almost never fill all their available spots), I don't want to see a severe contraction and 100% disagree that 8 wins should be the minimum threshold to qualify. The experience for the players and the fans is something that makes memories for a lifetime....even if the game is just a glorified exhibition game. I don't get the desire to screw people out of that opportunity.

While I agree that there are too many bowl games (the ACC and SEC almost never fill all their available spots), I don't want to see a severe contraction and 100% disagree that 8 wins should be the minimum threshold to qualify. The experience for the players and the fans is something that makes memories for a lifetime....even if the game is just a glorified exhibition game. I don't get the desire to screw people out of that opportunity.
It's just my selfish wish to have New Year's day host most of the bowl games really. I can't stand the spread out nature of them now. I get tv not wanted to compete against itself, but for me the games are so far apart that it doesn't even feel like bowl season. It's just an extension of the first couple weeks of the season when most of the matchups are crap and I'm just waiting for conference play to start.

Big Ten (4): Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Northwestern (Nebraska & Michigan State at 5-6 present)
Conference USA (6): Middle Tenn St., Old Dominion, North Texas, Rice, UTEP, UTSA
MAC (4): Akron (winless), Bowling Green, Ball State, Northern Illinois (Kent State & Ohio at 5-6 at present)
Mountain West (5): Colorado State, New Mexico, Fresno State, UNLV, San Jose State
SEC (4): Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss (Missouri & Miss State at 5-6 at present)
Sun Belt (3): Coastal Carolina, South Alabama, Texas State (Troy & UL Monroe at 5-6 at present)
Indy (2): New Mexico State, UMass (Army at 5-6 at present with 2 games left)

Based on their opponents Michigan State & Ohio will be heavy favorites to get 6 wins (and avoid 7 losses)

Colorado, Oregon State, Troy, UL Monroe, Nebraska, Army have tough roads to be bowl eligible.

Missouri (Jim Sterk AD) has easy game to win (Arkansas) to be bowl eligible but has a 1 year NCAA bowl ban with an appeal that has not been granted.
Remember, there actually a mechanism now for 5-7 teams to go to bowls in some situations. I think that's a clear sign that there's too many bowls.
There's a something like 126 teams now. I think 40 teams in 21 games (counting the NC game) is enough. That's the top third. Play 4 each on Dec 24 & 25, 6 on Dec 31, 6 on Jan 1. NC on Jan 8, and it's done.

Man if Michigan State misses out that'd be the real surprise in that list. Dantonio's done a pretty good job there over the years

Agreed. Plus the timing of the bowls lends itself to the downtime people have around the holidays anyways. Gives me an excuse to tune out the in-laws...”hey do you mind if I turn on the Micron PC.com gasparilla bowl? Middle Tennessee and Buffalo is an intriguing matchup I’ve waited all week to watch!”

Man if Michigan State misses out that'd be the real surprise in that list. Dantonio's done a pretty good job there over the years

I've gathered a fair amount of MSU fans are ready for him to retire. He's done a great job there, but he hasn't changed staff when needed and it might bite him (according to Sparty fans via reddit).

Agreed. Plus the timing of the bowls lends itself to the downtime people have around the holidays anyways. Gives me an excuse to tune out the in-laws...”hey do you mind if I turn on the Micron PC.com gasparilla bowl? Middle Tennessee and Buffalo is an intriguing matchup I’ve waited all week to watch!”
"Did I ever tell you about the time I saw the lights around Mica Peak??"

"Hey, the Famous Potato Bowl is on Gramps!"

Its all good-
I'm glad there are this many bowls.
There can be some pretty interesting match-up top to bottom. Even with +350 channels, a lot of times these bowls are the best thing on TV, IMO
If you don't want to go, stay home.
If you don't want to watch, change the channel.

Reactions: taf88
I've gathered a fair amount of MSU fans are ready for him to retire. He's done a great job there, but he hasn't changed staff when needed and it might bite him (according to Sparty fans via reddit).
I've expressed my desire for Leach to be more adaptable, but I've seen too much bad Cougar football to think we don't need him, or that we can boot him and expect continued competitiveness.

I don't know if the game has passed him by, but Dantonio may have been at MSU long enough now that the fans think they can easily recapture BCS-type bowls with his successor. The fact is, at season's end 2018, Dantonio had a 68% win record overall. In the preceding era, which included Nick Saban as HC, they had a 51% win record (much worse in conference) and that means they were rarely even in the running for their own division, much less anything special in the postseason.

When the Midwest is your bread and butter and you're recruiting against Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Nebraska - not to mention schools with other charms like Northwestern (Chicago) - I'm not sure State fans are necessarily headed in the direction they think they are post-Dantonio.

SEC (4): Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss (Missouri & Miss State at 5-6 at present)
Indy (2): New Mexico State, UMass (Army at 5-6 at present with 2 games left)

Missouri (Jim Sterk AD) has easy game to win (Arkansas) to be bowl eligible but has a 1 year NCAA bowl ban with an appeal that has not been granted.
West Virginia is interesting post-Holgorsen. They sit at 4 wins right now, which would tie Holgorsen's tenure worst at WVU. In fact, they've only missed a bowl 2 or 3 other times in the last 20 years. Dana went 10-3 in his first year at WVU so this is not a promising start for his successor.

I've expressed my desire for Leach to be more adaptable, but I've seen too much bad Cougar football to think we don't need him, or that we can boot him and expect continued competitiveness.

I don't know if the game has passed him by, but Dantonio may have been at MSU long enough now that the fans think they can easily recapture BCS-type bowls with his successor. The fact is, at season's end 2018, Dantonio had a 68% win record overall. In the preceding era, which included Nick Saban as HC, they had a 51% win record (much worse in conference) and that means they were rarely even in the running for their own division, much less anything special in the postseason.

When the Midwest is your bread and butter and you're recruiting against Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Nebraska - not to mention schools with other charms like Northwestern (Chicago) - I'm not sure State fans are necessarily headed in the direction they think they are post-Dantonio.

The Jeff Tedford effect. His record 1 year prior to being fired was 7-6. Dykes best record in 4 seasons; 8-5. Wilcox's best in 3 seasons; 7-6 with a chance to slightly better that this year.

Saw a tweet about how everyone was wrong on the Herm Edwards hire. His records at ASU; 7-6, 6-5 (likely to get to 7-5). Todd Graham's last season at ASU; 7-6.

The Jeff Tedford effect. His record 1 year prior to being fired was 7-6. Dykes best record in 4 seasons; 8-5. Wilcox's best in 3 seasons; 7-6 with a chance to slightly better that this year.

Saw a tweet about how everyone was wrong on the Herm Edwards hire. His records at ASU; 7-6, 6-5 (likely to get to 7-5). Todd Graham's last season at ASU; 7-6.

But Herm just pulled an upset, and he's got some pithy sound bites.

For real, ASU seems to be on the upswing. Should be ASU and USC to duke it out for the south next year.

Patience has all but disappeared in football. Those people underwriting it expect trophies NOW and they used to get it in exchange for huge paychecks, but now that everyone's on a huge paycheck and the fact that for every winner there is also a loser, expectations have gotten out of control. Too much money and not enough messiahs.

Patience has all but disappeared in football. Those people underwriting it expect trophies NOW and they used to get it in exchange for huge paychecks, but now that everyone's on a huge paycheck and the fact that for every winner there is also a loser, expectations have gotten out of control. Too much money and not enough messiahs.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
OTOH, Sacramento State came to their senses and fired Jody Sears one year after extending him and even replaced Paul Wulff as position coach with a local high school coach. Sacramento State went in one year from 13th place in the Big Sky to tied for 1st place and a 1st round bye in the FCS playoffs.

OTOH, Sacramento State came to their senses and fired Jody Sears one year after extending him and even replaced Paul Wulff as position coach with a local high school coach. Sacramento State went in one year from 13th place in the Big Sky to tied for 1st place and a 1st round bye in the FCS playoffs.
They went from 2-8 to 9-3 with the change.

Their RBs coach is James Montgomery - the same one who was within hours of losing a leg to compartment syndrome after our loss to Hawaii in (I think) 2009. Looks like he's been following Sears around for a few years, and managed to hold over for the new staff.

This is the biggest factor that fans all over just refuse to acknowledge. It's confounding. If even half the teams in FBS performed as well as their fans expected they should, the other half would have 0-2 wins each. The zero sum of sports just doesn't register with most fans. It's especially funny when it comes from fans of a team that is historically bad that's been on a good run for a few years ( cough, cough ). If you reach a level of 10+ wins a year, someone or someones has to be that much worse every year and they're not just gonna roll over and let it happen.

Reactions: GrayOnGray

Bingo.

Reading the reddit thread was very interesting. I've always viewed Sparty as a sister school in another conference.

Wulff's record at WSU: 9-40
At South Florida: 4-8
Iowa St: 3-9
Sac St: 11-21

Man, it's like you can't even let that guy step foot in your building.

Bingo.

Reading the reddit thread was very interesting. I've always viewed Sparty as a sister school in another conference.
I've lived all over and met MSU fans everywhere. I work with a few now. Every one I've met has been a down to earth person you could have a beer with. I've worked with a lot of decent Michigan folks too, and been to Ann Arbor, but I've found that to be far more hit and miss. Lots of people in the latter group who inherited a great football tradition and think their s--- doesn't stink. Sounds familiar...

I've lived all over and met MSU fans everywhere. I work with a few now. Every one I've met has been a down to earth person you could have a beer with. I've worked with a lot of decent Michigan folks too, and been to Ann Arbor, but I've found that to be far more hit and miss. Lots of people in the latter group who inherited a great football tradition and think their s--- doesn't stink. Sounds familiar...

The parallels are uncanny. Thanks for sharing - glad to know I was on target with my MSU sister school.

Would be fun to look at the conferences and find a particular sister school to root for. Keep Saturdays always entertaining.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
The parallels are uncanny. Thanks for sharing - glad to know I was on target with my MSU sister school.

Would be fun to look at the conferences and find a particular sister school to root for. Keep Saturdays always entertaining.

Iowa St, Miss St, Kansas St, Michigan St., Va Tech....

Many of the Michigan fans at the 98 Rose Bowl I ran into were complete assholes. Rooted against Michigan ever since.

Reactions: SDCoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT