ADVERTISEMENT

No Cougs on DISH this weekend?

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Sept. 26, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH today reported that Fox Corporation blocked DISH and Sling TV customers' access to its local channels in 17 markets across 23 states and the District of Columbia (the full list of affected stations can be viewed here). Fox has also removed cable networks FS1, FS2, Big 10 Network, Fox Soccer Plus and Fox Deportes.

Fox is demanding a double-digit percentage rate increase for continued carriage of its local channels. Fox is also attempting to "force bundle" its local channels and unrelated cable networks to get more money and gain negotiating leverage.

At its May investor day, Fox executives promoted their plan to increase retransmission revenue by 62 percent, to $2.6 billion by 2022.

"Taken together, Fox's actions are profoundly anti-consumer," said Andy LeCuyer, DISH senior vice president of Programming. "Fox is raising prices and turning its back on its public obligation to provide channels to consumers for free. It's clear that Fox cares more about padding its bottom line than serving its viewers."

"To add insult to injury, Fox pulled its channels right as viewers head into the heart of the NFL and college football season," continued LeCuyer. "We ask Fox to stop punishing its own viewers so we can focus on reaching a fair deal."

Affected customers can view NFL games using an over-the-air antenna or stream local and most primetime games for free on mobile phones and tablets via the NFL App.

Consumer Choice and Forced Bundling at Issue

In addition to blacking out local stations, Fox has also blocked DISH and Sling TV customers' access to its cable networks FS1, FS2, Big 10 Network, Fox Soccer Plus and Fox Deportes. Fox is attempting to get more money by "force bundling" its unrelated cable networks and leveraging its local channels.

"Fox is using local viewers as leverage to get more money for unrelated channels," said LeCuyer. "We simply don't think it's fair to use local viewers to raise rates on expensive, unrelated sports programming."

DISH Offer of Extension, True Up Rejected

DISH and Fox had been making steady progress in their recent negotiations, and DISH was hopeful that they would come to a mutual agreement to renew carriage of its local stations. In that spirit, DISH offered a short-term contract extension to Fox that would include a retroactive true-up when new rates were agreed upon, and would preserve the ability of DISH and Sling TV customers to access the Fox stations while negotiations continued. The true-up would ensure that Fox was made whole at the new rates for the period of any contract extension.

"Fox had nothing to lose and consumers had everything to gain by leaving its channels up," said LeCuyer. "Instead, Fox chose to harm its own viewers."

DISH Offers Free Antenna Installation, Alternative Viewing Options Available

As DISH works to reach an agreement, the company is offering digital over-the-air antennas at no cost to DISH customers in the affected markets. Customers who use a digital antenna are able to access news, sports and popular network shows from Fox, and have the option to completely drop their local channels from their programming package to save $12 on their monthly bill. DISH will install an antenna for qualifying customers in Fox markets based on the reception available at their home.

"A digital antenna is a great experience and solution for a growing number of customers," continued LeCuyer. "The channels integrate seamlessly into the Hopper interface. Plus, switching to antenna-delivered locals can unlock $144savings annually. We want to give customers the choice to save money."

Local station availability over the air is dependent on geographic location and topography. Consequently, some customer locations may not qualify for an antenna installation.

Another viewing alternative is offered by Locast, a free nonprofit service that provides local broadcast channels over the internet in select markets. Locast is available on connected DISH Hopper devices. Customers can visit locast.org to learn more.

Need for Retransmission Consent Reform

"Fox is using its mix of local and national channels against viewers, abusing outdated laws to try to force consumers to pay more. This greedy attempt to extort more money from our customers is one of the main reasons we – and our industry – are asking Congress to restore balance in the broadcaster-pay TV equation," said Jeff Blum, DISH senior vice president of Public Policy and Government Affairs. "We are asking lawmakers to reform outdated TV laws to give our customers the best viewing experience at an affordable price – without the threat of broadcaster blackouts."

Along with other pay-TV companies and public interest groups that form the American Television Alliance, DISH has called for the U.S. Congress to revamp the out-of-date laws that favor these high fees and unnecessary blackouts.

Blum continued: "We continue to urge the FCC and Congress to update a system that emboldens broadcasters to black out consumers."

Dish is playing hardball with Fox on renegotiating their deal, so they’ve dropped the stations. Damned greedy pricks on both sides need to quit making their customers pay the consequences of their money grabbing.

Reactions: SDCoug
Both companies are acting in the best interest of their shareholders. No moral posturing needed.

Just set up a free trial of YouTube TV.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Both companies are acting in the best interest of their shareholders. No moral posturing needed.

That’s comforting knowing the shareholders are being looked out for. That takes the sting out of losing a service we’ve paid for.

YouTube carries live football?

How many more times do you figure the Cougs will be on Fox sports 1 this year. Good thing we have Xfinity at the condo. Dish at home.

Yes you do. It’s easy to download YouTube TV on Roku and do a 5 day free trial.
Do you have to cancel or does the trial end automatically after the 5 day period? I always forget and end up paying for a month.

So did I. The picture quality sucks on my my TV, but it’s good on my tablet.

Shitty to do it mid season. Total power move. Can't believe it doesn't violate some contract somewhere. Sucks 'cause the 702 household watches a lot of FS1 Top Rank boxing also. Damn.

I am showing the game now on dish channel 150 in SW Wa.
Same. My guide says, “FOX has removed FS1.” But at 2:00 am MT tonight it shows Woman’s College Soccer and all shows after that. My recording of the game still shows. Think I’ll set a recording tonight and see what I get.

******Understand the rationale as to why?********

Added the Fox Sports (not Fox Sports Go) app to our Roku library. Easy. Done. FS1 is there.
Asked as an option to provide my local Satellite or Cable company, I clicked..."maybe later".
Email and Password. I'm in. Our game is there for Saturday, 7pm. All good. Even briefly looked at a live college soccer game on FS1. We're good. But....

*******************READ BELOW****************
So I continued to click all around and watch live Fox Sports programming, and then it occurred to me why there's a dispute. Yes it's about money....but the root of it....it's all about COMMERCIALS and the advertisers.
With DISH, (or any DVR) you record and skip the commercials, right? TV Networks are aware that millions of people are not watching commercials, and the advertisers are the ones that it's effecting. They're paying $$$$ hundreds of thousands of dollars for TV spots, and millions of people blow past and skip. Not fair to the advertiser, we get that. What's the solution for these big networks and advertisers?
Force
users to use the Fox Sports app on Roku, or any streaming device, IT'S FREE. No monthly or trial period. Totally free. The caveat is.....you can't record. You can't skip the commercials. You have to watch a live Sports Game and sit through all the commercials. As a result...their clients aren't getting burned and upset.

So...it really boils down to commercials. And Fox and their advertisers are trying, one brick at a time, to get people off the DVR's, and watch TV the old fashion way.....sitting through commercials.
The only positive thing is the Fox Sports app does not charge a monthly fee and there's no trial period. This explains why they're abandoning DISH Network, unless someday the model changes, and we pay a premium to record and skip commercials.

Side Note: Most of you know that DISH has been in law suits and litigation for about a decade over the Hopper Auto Skip. They've been in and out of court for years. The networks are finally trying to figure out a solution. I think they've found how to get us off our DVR's.
Take the USC vs. UW game. If we don't want to watch it LIVE for 3.5 hours, we record it, watch it delayed, and blow past the commercials while watching the entire game in 45 minutes. This is also why HBO has abandoned DISH. You need to get their programming on HBO Now, same situation. CBS Now.....the trend is here and it may be the future....forcing us to watch commercials.....or pay a premium for commercial free.

Last edited:
We use Hulu and it still has FS1 active. For anyone interested, I believe they have a trial -- just make sure to get the "live TV" option.

******Understand the rationale as to why?********

Added the Fox Sports (not Fox Sports Go) app to our Roku library. Easy. Done. FS1 is there.
Asked as an option to provide my local Satellite or Cable company, I clicked..."maybe later".
Email and Password. I'm in. Our game is there for Saturday, 7pm. All good. Even briefly looked at a live college soccer game on FS1. We're good. But....

*******************READ BELOW****************
So I continued to click all around and watch live Fox Sports programming, and then it occurred to me why there's a dispute. Yes it's about money....but the root of it....it's all about COMMERCIALS and the advertisers.
With DISH, (or any DVR) you record and skip the commercials, right? TV Networks are aware that millions of people are not watching commercials, and the advertisers are the ones that it's effecting. They're paying $$$$ hundreds of thousands of dollars for TV spots, and millions of people blow past and skip. Not fair to the advertiser, we get that. What's the solution for these big networks and advertisers?
Force
users to use the Fox Sports app on Roku, or any streaming device, IT'S FREE. No monthly or trial period. Totally free. The caveat is.....you can't record. You can't skip the commercials. You have to watch a live Sports Game and sit through all the commercials. As a result...their clients aren't getting burned and upset.

So...it really boils down to commercials. And Fox and their advertisers are trying, one brick at a time, to get people off the DVR's, and watch TV the old fashion way.....sitting through commercials.
The only positive thing is the Fox Sports app does not charge a monthly fee and there's no trial period. This explains why they're abandoning DISH Network, unless someday the model changes, and we pay a premium to record and skip commercials.

Side Note: Most of you know that DISH has been in law suits and litigation for about a decade over the Hopper Auto Skip. They've been in and out of court for years. The networks are finally trying to figure out a solution. I think they've found how to get us off our DVR's.
Take the USC vs. UW game. If we don't want to watch it LIVE for 3.5 hours, we record it, watch it delayed, and blow past the commercials while watching the entire game in 45 minutes. This is also why HBO has abandoned DISH. You need to get their programming on HBO Now, same situation. CBS Now.....the trend is here and it may be the future....forcing us to watch commercials.....or pay a premium for commercial free.
Just did the same thing. Didn’t even enter e-mail and password. Watched a minute of pro soccer (still don’t get it) and confirmed WSU/Utah is on the schedule. Probably will double check in the afternoon sometime just in case, but looks promising.

If it fails and I’m stuck with the radio, I don’t have anyone at Fox, Dish, or Sling I can get to, so I’ll blame you.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Yes you do. It’s easy to download YouTube TV on Roku and do a 5 day free trial.
I started my five day YouTube TV trial last night. Set up a few recordings and played around with it a bit this morning. At this point I’m seeing no reason not to cancel Dish but I’ll wait a few more days. Already stream HBO and Showtime separately anyway.

Reactions: walzuu
I started my five day YouTube TV trial last night. Set up a few recordings and played around with it a bit this morning. At this point I’m seeing no reason not to cancel Dish but I’ll wait a few more days. Already stream HBO and Showtime separately anyway.
did you notice what the monthly fee is if you keep it?

That’s a significant chunk of change—is it comparable in terms of content/channel availability?
It appears to be. At least for our house hold. I still need to discover the things I don’t yet know.

You can creat six distinct accounts. Each has unlimited cloud DVR storage. Can run three distinct live streams at a time on the account. Can pause live TV, though I’m not sure if that works on live sporting events. It did work on College Game Day. Recoded the rebroadcast of Cal/ASU and could pause and fast forward commercials.

I read some reviews on the streaming tv services recently. Seemed like the consensus was that the best was YouTube TV followed by Hulu. Way down the list were Sling and Fubu (or something like that). Anyone surprised that the Pac-12 is aligned with the wrong companies here?

It appears to be. At least for our house hold. I still need to discover the things I don’t yet know.

You can creat six distinct accounts. Each has unlimited cloud DVR storage. Can run three distinct live streams at a time on the account. Can pause live TV, though I’m not sure if that works on live sporting events. It did work on College Game Day. Recoded the rebroadcast of Cal/ASU and could pause and fast forward commercials.

I read some reviews on the streaming tv services recently. Seemed like the consensus was that the best was YouTube TV followed by Hulu. Way down the list were Sling and Fubu (or something like that). Anyone surprised that the Pac-12 is aligned with the wrong companies here?
I have Hulu. It’s not bad one thing that sucks about it is you have to pay extra to be able to fast forward through commercials when DVRd. Might be same w YouTube and other streaming apps, not sure.

I have Hulu. It’s not bad one thing that sucks about it is you have to pay extra to be able to fast forward through commercials when DVRd. Might be same w YouTube and other streaming apps, not sure.
So far I’ve been able to fast forward through commercials. I’m recording Wisconsin/Northwestern to test on live sports.

Interestingly, I was able to find Survivor from last Wednesday, even though I had not recorded it. It it required view the commercials.

On your Hulu account, do you have the Live tv option running? I have the non-commercial version of Hulu but not the live tv version.

So far I’ve been able to fast forward through commercials. I’m recording Wisconsin/Northwestern to test on live sports.

Interestingly, I was able to find Survivor from last Wednesday, even though I had not recorded it. It it required view the commercials.

On your Hulu account, do you have the Live tv option running? I have the non-commercial version of Hulu but not the live tv version.
Thanks for the info—gonna haveto check it out cuz I’m all about saving 1.2k a year.

Confirming that I can pause, rewind, and fast forward the Wisconsin recording, including commercials. And I could start the recording mid game. Basically, I can do all of the stuff that my Hopper would do for the game and that SlingTV could not.

Last edited:
Confirming that I can pause, rewind, and fast forward the Wisconsin recording, including commercials. And I could start the recording mid game. Basically, I can do all of the stuff that my Hopper would do for the game and that SlingTV could not.
Have you played around with the live stats at all? Pretty nice feature mid game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT