ADVERTISEMENT

No D 'cats

Guys, come on.

It was a bad loss for Zona, but it was still a 1 score loss, on the road, to a bowl team. Wulff would have lost that game by 30.
Very true. That team that lost to Hawaii at half-time actually did have a disclaimer in small print that no one saw.

"CAUTION:Not for the easily offended or chronically mature. May cause tearing of the eyes, uncontrollable laughter and personal humiliation. Call a doctor for bowel movements or mood swings lasting more than 48 hours. Some people can have serious skin reactions while watching WSU football, some of which can become life-threatening. These can include rash, swelling, redness, and peeling of the skin. Some people can have allergic reactions to rooting for this team, some of which can be life-threatening and include: swelling of the face, mouth, and throat that can cause trouble breathing. If you have these symptoms or have a rash with peeling skin or blisters in your mouth, stop watching WSU football and get medical attention right away."

Reactions: ATACFD
I agree. It's game #1, and in college football we've seen teams turn around bad starts, so it's certainly possible. With that said, this is an Arizona team that was shaky defensively last season, and the Hawaii game resembled their game in Houston last year where they fell behind 31-0.

They get Northern AZ next week, but then Texas Tech comes into Tucson for week #3. If they lose that game, they'll head into P12 play at 1-2 with conference road games at USC, at Stanford, at Oregon, at ASU, to go along with home games vs. UW and Utah.

Tate will have some electric games, and they'll likely upset a team or two; but what I saw on Saturday was the same horrific defensive secondary they've had for a few years. Not sure how they win 6 games this season, and if they don't, Sumlin will likely be dismissed.

The Hawaii loss hurts the conference because, as some posters have alluded, Arizona is an erratic team. They poop the bed routinely, but they also are capable of Tate going off and leading to an upset or two. Last year they thumped Oregon. I suspect they end up with three or four conference wins mixed in with a few truly ugly losses. National perception will be that the conference as a whole is weak.

I agree. It's game #1, and in college football we've seen teams turn around bad starts, so it's certainly possible. With that said, this is an Arizona team that was shaky defensively last season, and the Hawaii game resembled their game in Houston last year where they fell behind 31-0.

They get Northern AZ next week, but then Texas Tech comes into Tucson for week #3. If they lose that game, they'll head into P12 play at 1-2 with conference road games at USC, at Stanford, at Oregon, at ASU, to go along with home games vs. UW and Utah.

Tate will have some electric games, and they'll likely upset a team or two; but what I saw on Saturday was the same horrific defensive secondary they've had for a few years. Not sure how they win 6 games this season, and if they don't, Sumlin will likely be dismissed.
I rewatched a big part of our 2018 Arizona game a few days ago. I remember getting caught up in the game and feeling like Minshew was on fire throughout it. Upon review...I gave him too much credit. He was just doing his usual good job of taking what was there. What made it such a big night was that Arizona's coverage was so bad it's hard to put into words. Hapless? Wretched? Miserable? None of these adjectives cover it. They were constantly out of position, moving the wrong direction, and just generally sucked in every way imaginable. Probably comparable with the ASU secondary on Halliday's big night back in 2011...maybe even worse.

I rewatched a big part of our 2018 Arizona game a few days ago. I remember getting caught up in the game and feeling like Minshew was on fire throughout it. Upon review...I gave him too much credit. He was just doing his usual good job of taking what was there. What made it such a big night was that Arizona's coverage was so bad it's hard to put into words. Hapless? Wretched? Miserable? None of these adjectives cover it. They were constantly out of position, moving the wrong direction, and just generally sucked in every way imaginable. Probably comparable with the ASU secondary on Halliday's big night back in 2011...maybe even worse.

You could really tell they just didn't want to be there as well. I'm not usually real intuitive noticing that kind of stuff, but it was really obvious. Every time the Cougs laid a big hit, Zona would fumble. Takes a certain amount of "want to" to protect the football in that kind of cold.

As far as their coaching, it's odd to see them execute so poorly, because they've got some experience on that staff. Marcell Yates is their DC and Demetrice Martin is their secondary coach. Both have a good deal of experience, and I thought were pretty well thought of as coaches.

Interestingly, John Rushing is their LB coach. I hadn't realized that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT