ADVERTISEMENT

Not going to win throwing it 60 times in a game

Gibs hasn't provided a definition..and yes i know of the different variations of wr screens.

I agree we are splitting hairs...but that is what gibbons does to distract from the main argument that we threw a ton of wr screens last year(that didn't work) and he would lose his shit any time anyone complained about it.

While we haven't thrown as many this year, they still don't work except on a hot read
Except all you do is complain about bubble screens, that aren't actually being run.

Except all you do is complain about bubble screens, that aren't actually being run.

We ran plenty of bubble screens last year. The fact that you continue to make like am ostrich with your head buried in the sand about it proves that you don't know what bubble is.

We ran plenty of bubble screens last year. The fact that you continue to make like am ostrich with your head buried in the sand about it proves that you don't know what bubble is.
Name one. Opponent, down and distance.

Bubble screen and jail break screen are described here. The bubble goes to a receiver (almost always slot) cutting toward the sideline and away from the QB, with the key being the outside WR's block. EDIT TO ADD- This is literally why it's called a bubble screen- because the receiver bubbles away from the QB. Jail break usually goes to an outside receiver cutting toward with the QB, with the OL getting out to block. Price and Rosenbach loved the bubble screen. I frankly don't remember if Sturdy ran it much or not. Leach did not. Nor did Morris. Arbuckle has a little.

As stated, sponge doesn't know what a bubble screen is, otherwise he would have been able to speak intelligently on the issue during the last 20+ years. He probably thinks buffalo, elk, antelope and deer are all the same.

I can't see the imbedded videos in Loyal's post.
Trandon Harvey AC winner was “bubble” then. Sorta still slitting hairs. Kleenex vs facial tissue IMO. 🤷

Now that said the “you didn’t play football” argument is crap too. There are women coaching now in the NFL and College that could run circles around anyone here. There are rocket scientists and aeronautical engineers who’ve never flown a rocket or plane. Making that argument is basically saying the flight attendants know more than the engineers.

Bubble screen and jail break screen are described here. The bubble goes to a receiver (almost always slot) cutting toward the sideline and away from the QB, with the key being the outside WR's block. EDIT TO ADD- This is literally why it's called a bubble screen- because the receiver bubbles away from the QB. Jail break usually goes to an outside receiver cutting toward with the QB, with the OL getting out to block. Price and Rosenbach loved the bubble screen. I frankly don't remember if Sturdy ran it much or not. Leach did not. Nor did Morris. Arbuckle has a little.

As stated, sponge doesn't know what a bubble screen is, otherwise he would have been able to speak intelligently on the issue during the last 20+ years. He probably thinks buffalo, elk, antelope and deer are all the same.

For plays that people might remember. Trandon Harvey's game winning TD run and catch in the 2005 Apple Cup was a bubble screen. Tavares Martin Jr.'s TD against USC in 2017, with a questionable block by Andre Dillard, was a jailbreak screen.

Trandon Harvey AC winner was “bubble” then. Sorta still slitting hairs. Kleenex vs facial tissue IMO. 🤷

Now that said the “you didn’t play football” argument is crap too. There are women coaching now in the NFL and College that could run circles around anyone here. There are rocket scientists and aeronautical engineers who’ve never flown a rocket or plane. Making that argument is basically saying the flight attendants know more than the engineers.
Correct on Harvey. I just added a post with WSU examples of a bubble and a jail break.

And I played WR and TE, not well and not often. My real position was tackling dummy.

Last edited:
Now that said the “you didn’t play football” argument is crap too.

I disagree

More often than not, somebody who does a specific thing knows more about that specific thing than somebody who never does it

An airline stewardess has nothing to do with any functioning of the plane so that is not a good example.

Out of all the head coaches ever to be a head coach, only 2 never played football at a collegiate level...and those people were wicked smart and an anomaly

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Yeah dude...I am gonna dig up game film from the season since Rosie coached so that I can show you there was bubble in the years since.

You're an idiot.

Mike Leach ran plenty of bubble screens also
No one is asking you to dig up game film from the Rosenbach era. He loved bubbles. Stay on task.

Go ahead and name the last time a bubble was run by WSU in 2022. You said it happened. Shouldn't be that hard. You hold yourself out as a football genius.

I disagree

More often than not, somebody who does a specific thing knows more about that specific thing than somebody who never does it

An airline stewardess has nothing to do with any functioning nof the plane.

Out of all the head coaches ever to be a head coach, only 2 never played football at a collegiate level...and those people were wicked smart and an anomaly
You want to talk probabilities yes I’d agree. To make blanket statement that if you didn’t play football you can’t carry a conversation about football is BS for the reason I gave. You probably have other reasons for Gibb which are between you guys and I don’t always agree with him either. I’d caution against repeating insults that come from dudes who still wear their letterman’s jackets.

Yeah the videos don't come through.

Can you two stop this BS? Who the F cares? Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble.

You want to talk probabilities yes I’d agree. To make blanket statement that if you didn’t play football you can’t carry a conversation about football is BS for the reason I gave. You probably have other reasons for Gibb which are between you guys and I don’t always agree with him either. I’d caution against repeating insults that come from dudes who still wear their letterman’s jackets.
Which reminds me that I still need to retrieve my letterman's jacket from the ex's closet. Football, Wrestling, Baseball.

Not sure if you saw my reply earlier but I agree wholeheartedly that you don't need to play football to have a conversation.

I said my problem is when someone who has never played it and is all knowing and pompous, then it needs to be pointed out

Not sure if you saw my reply earlier but I agree wholeheartedly that you don't need to play football to have a conversation.

I said my problem is when someone who has never played it and is all knowing and pompous, then it needs to be pointed out
Please explain how your vast experience has helped you identify bubble screens.

I disagree

An airline stewardess has nothing to do with any functioning of the plane so that is not a good example.

I would venture that most people on here's playing time ended at HS, which would predate most of the scheme's and techniques being run today in college and pros. Even if you played some sort of college 20 years ago that still doesn't translate to what's going on today. The only way someone could speak with authority about this stuff is if they were currently involved in day to day football operations, by your logic.

OR...

You know... human beings possess the capacity for learning and can educate themselves to the point of having a conversation about football that is relevant to the current game. Does that make anyone not currently playing or coaching anything more than an armchair qb? Nope.

But to get directly to the point, if you want to know who outs themselves as ignorant fans, just look to the ones that always blame either the qb or the coach, with no nuance or analysis of any other aspect of the game or team. No doubt sometimes the qb or coach ARE the problem, but the rube fan is the one that can only see one of those two. Yes, there are a few on this board, you know who you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Please explain how your vast experience has helped you identify bubble screens.

You're a tool.

Bubble is not some complicated or secret play that is locked up somewhere in a vault that only you have a key to.

You just continue to argue in minutae to avoid discussing the main point of the argument.

As far as experience, I played QB in Jr high and some high school .

Certainly doesn't make me all knowing like you pretend to be...but it does give me enough experience to identify plays and understand concepts

Also I have Tony Franklin's system where he explains the wr screens associated w the air raid...but I knew about these prior.

Last edited:
I would venture that most people on here's playing time ended at HS, which would predate most of the scheme's and techniques being run today in college and pros. Even if you played some sort of college 20 years ago that still doesn't translate to what's going on today. The only way someone could speak with authority about this stuff is if they were currently involved in day to day football operations, by your logic.

OR...

You know... human beings possess the capacity for learning and can educate themselves to the point of having a conversation about football that is relevant to the current game. Does that make anyone not currently playing or coaching anything more than an armchair qb? Nope.

But to get directly to the point, if you want to know who outs themselves as ignorant fans, just look to the ones that always blame either the qb or the coach, with no nuance or analysis of any other aspect of the game or team. No doubt sometimes the qb or coach ARE the problem, but the rube fan is the one that can only see one of those two. Yes, there are a few on thisbu board, you know who you are.
You are correct. The concepts now are totally different than when most of us played.

But the experience gives one a better base to pick up the concepts.

Sorry ..but more often than not, someone who has played football is going to know more about the game than someone who has never played a down.

You're a tool.

Bubble is not some complicated or secret play that is locked up somewhere in a vault that only you have a key to.

You just continue to argue in minutae to avoid discussing the main point of the argument.

As far as experience, I played QB in Jr high and some high school .

Certainly doesn't make me all knowing like you pretend to be...but it does give me enough experience to identify plays and understand concepts
Again, no one said that the bubble is some kind of secret play locked away in vault. As stated above, Price and Rosenbach ran them all the time. If you understand plays and concepts, it should be easy to actually state the last time WSU ran a bubble screen. Go ahead.

Having failed with the "minutae", your broader point is that you don't like the play calling. So, we're back to you believing every play should be a big gain or a TD, right?

No one is asking you to dig up game film from the Rosenbach era. He loved bubbles. Stay on task.

Go ahead and name the last time a bubble was run by WSU in 2022. You said it happened. Shouldn't be that hard. You hold yourself out as a football genius.

Your reading comprehension sucks

I said since the Rosie era.

Go back and re-read what I wrote

Again, no one said that the bubble is some kind of secret play locked away in vault. As stated above, Price and Rosenbach ran them all the time. If you understand plays and concepts, it should be easy to actually state the last time WSU ran a bubble screen. Go ahead.

Having failed with the "minutae", your broader point is that you don't like the play calling. So, we're back to you believing every play should be a big gain or a TD, right?
Ahhh...a stickler for detail. Here is one. 2002 last play of the Apple Cup. Now does that change the narrative of using a screen pass whether it is a bubble screen, tunnel screen, slip screen, or a screen door screen. The premise is not challenging the linebackers on run plays over the year, making this offense easy to defend if using the proper scheme.

Why you get stuck on minor details is so bizarre to me. This isn't a court of law. Just like when I use to call the Arizona QB Khalil Hill instead of Khalil Tate. We knew we were talking about the Arizona QB Khalil whoever. Me calling him Hill vs Tate made no difference.

Think of the screen pass as an STD. Does it make any difference even of the name of the STD. I would suggest if someone tells Loyal she has an STD, Loyal better get to the doc. So, if someone calls it the clap or gonorrhea still has the same generic problem.

Focusing on the small stuff vs a scheme problem in not running the ball and inability to run the ball means one thing to me and I think Sponge and Biggs hit on it.

Nope.

Where should I send your Jump to Conclusions Mat?

But you already know this since I have long advocated running the ball more.

Not to create big plays but to make things easier on the QB and to move the safeties give them something else to think about, make them slower, and catch them out of position

Ahhh...a stickler for detail. Here is one. 2002 last play of the Apple Cup. Now does that change the narrative of using a screen pass whether it is a bubble screen, tunnel screen, slip screen, or a screen door screen. The premise is not challenging the linebackers on run plays over the year, making this offense easy to defend if using the proper scheme.

Why you get stuck on minor details is so bizarre to me. This isn't a court of law. Just like when I use to call the Arizona QB Khalil Hill instead of Khalil Tate. We knew we were talking about the Arizona QB Khalil whoever. Me calling him Hill vs Tate made no difference.

Think of the screen pass as an STD. Does it make any difference even of the name of the STD. I would suggest if someone tells Loyal she has an STD, Loyal better get to the doc. So, if someone calls it the clap or gonorrhea still has the same generic problem.

Focusing on the small stuff vs a scheme problem in not running the ball and inability to run the ball means one thing to me and I think Sponge and Biggs hit on it.
You call it "minor details", I call it actually paying attention or knowing what you're talking about. Players' names are important. They're on the back of the jersey and listed on the roster. Kind of like your brother refusing to describe a bubble screen for approximately a decade now. It's important. Shows you have some kind of clue what's happening.

In this very thread your football genius brother admitted he didn't know WSU ran the ball 37 times against Cal. Obviously, no one can make you pay attention or actually know the names of players or anything else. But when you don't, people are going to let you know. Ignorance is your choice. You choose it often, and therefore others correctly choose to not take you seriously. Damn near everything in the history of WSU football (and football for that matter) is a few key strokes away.

Last edited:
Your reading comprehension sucks

I said since the Rosie era.

Go back and re-read what I wrote
Actually your English sucks. Post # 50:

"Yeah dude...I am gonna dig up game film from the season since Rosie coached so that I can show you there was bubble in the years since."

Actually your English sucks. Post # 50:

"Yeah dude...I am gonna dig up game film from the season since Rosie coached so that I can show you there was bubble in the years since."

Do you know what since means? Go look it up. Meaning in the years since Rosie coached. Meaning between then and now.

Good god you are dense.

Yeah dude...I am gonna dig up game film from the season since Rosie coached so that I can show you there was bubble in the years since.

You're an idiot.

Mike Leach ran plenty of bubble screens also
Mike Leach never played college football, and never played at all in the bubble screen era. His HS career ended in 1978.

Mike Leach never played college football, and never played at all in the bubble screen era. His HS career ended in 1978.

Yes I used him as an example of an outlier(Paul Johnson being the other)

Mike Leach is also a genius.

Yes I used him as an example of an outlier(Paul Johnson being the other)

Mike Leach is also a genius.
Speaking of…doesn’t it make you curious what would happen if you took bill gates or the like and said…you are going to design plays for football. Heres how it works, here’s some examples…go.

I mean, footballs a dumb game. I’d love to see what some really smart people could come up with. I said it before, look at all the asshats trotting out shitty QBs that could have had Minshew for nothin. There’s a lot of dumb people running billion dollar football operations.

Speaking of…doesn’t it make you curious what would happen if you took bill gates or the like and said…you are going to design plays for football. Heres how it works, here’s some examples…go.

I mean, footballs a dumb game. I’d love to see what some really smart people could come up with. I said it before, look at all the asshats trotting out shitty QBs that could have had Minshew for nothin. There’s a lot of dumb people running billion dollar football operations.

They could probably diagram some crazy shit on the chalkboard.

I think not playing football for Leach allowed him to think outside the box.

Why can't we run every single play out of shotgun?

Why can't we have wide splits?

Why can't we play video games football?

Other coaches with their chewing tobacca must have thought they just saw a flying saucer or something

Just so I'm stating my position on all of this...

1) I like "normal screens".

2) I like any screens when you have players that can do them right... selling it is the most important part by fa

3) Our most annoying problem with the "offensive strategy" is that we don't seem to like rolling out to really look to run it. Way too much dancing vs. take a little and be happy.

4) Why have Tight Ends if they are a repeatedly 65% the size of offensive linemen and try to run routes 1 out of 20 plays. Pretty obvious right now we needed more Olinemen.

5) If the offensive line is slow, you better have faster running backs.

6) I think our "quick snap after a 15 to 20 yard pass" strategy is less successful than the Pac-12 network

Just so I'm stating my position on all of this...

1) I like "normal screens".

2) I like any screens when you have players that can do them right... selling it is the most important part by fa

3) Our most annoying problem with the "offensive strategy" is that we don't seem to like rolling out to really look to run it. Way too much dancing vs. take a little and be happy.

4) Why have Tight Ends if they are a repeatedly 65% the size of offensive linemen and try to run routes 1 out of 20 plays. Pretty obvious right now we needed more Olinemen.

5) If the offensive line is slow, you better have faster running backs.

6) I think our "quick snap after a 15 to 20 yard pass" strategy is less successful than the Pac-12 network
4)…. how many targets do the TEs have??? If the DC knows you are never throwing to them… why use them in a route??? And at what point do you acknowledge they are only there to block and just put the TE jersey on your 6th best OL???

Arbuckle has zero creativity where he needs it the most…. blocking.

What a fcking joke Dick is. He blew his OL hire from the start. He blew his first coordinator hire. He blew his second coordinator hire. And he blew his NIL load on a FCS qb. This is why you dont hire a guy “the kids like” or “he gives you continuity.” He sucks. You hire talent. He has none. Any coach worth a shit knows what he has at qb. Watching him talk about Ward as a national level talent lololol that is just like Meion Sanders saying he has Heisman candidatez…

Fcking Chunk extended this asshole at 10-9. Awesome work Chunk!

You call it "minor details", I call it actually paying attention or knowing what you're talking about. Players' names are important. They're on the back of the jersey and listed on the roster. Kind of like your brother refusing to describe a bubble screen for approximately a decade now. It's important. Shows you have some kind of clue what's happening.

In this very thread your football genius brother admitted he didn't know WSU ran the ball 37 times against Cal. Obviously, no one can make you pay attention or actually know the names of players or anything else. But when you don't, people are going to let you know. Ignorance is your choice. You choose it often, and therefore others correctly choose to not take you seriously. Damn near everything in the history of WSU football (and football for that matter) is a few key strokes away.
Sorry … I made a mistake in thinking you were one of the smarter posters on the board . If when talking about the Arizona qb and i say Khalil Hill by accident and you can’t figure out who I am talking about them you just can’t figure stuff out. It doesn’t change the opinion if i say Hill or Tate. If the qb had a common name like Steve maybe i would understand your confusion.

Just out of curiosity , what coach should I talk with to find out how a freshman WR is progressing as they are redshirting and not seeing the football field.

Sorry … I made a mistake in thinking you were one of the smarter posters on the board . If when talking about the Arizona qb and i say Khalil Hill by accident and you can’t figure out who I am talking about them you just can’t figure stuff out. It doesn’t change the opinion if i say Hill or Tate. If the qb had a common name like Steve maybe i would understand your confusion.

Just out of curiosity , what coach should I talk with to find out how a freshman WR is progressing as they are redshirting and not seeing the football field.
You didn't say Khalil Hill. You called him Hill. Previously you chose ignorance, this time you chose deceit.

Educating yourself is a choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT