ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive line for 2018?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
One of the premier offensive lines in the country according to Pro Football Focus and other analytics sites must be retooled with the departure of position coach Clay McGuire and three starters.

What can we expect going forward?

NFL/Graduated
Cody O'Connell, LG, two-time consensus All-American (25 career starts)
Cole Madison, RT, two-time All-Pac 12 (47 career starts)
B.J. Salmonson, RG, Could win Most Improved award at football banquet (14 career starts)

Starters Returning
Andre Dillard, LT (RS Senior) – Hon. Men. All-Pac 12. Well regarded by pro scouts (28 career starts)
Frederick Mauigoa, C (Junior) – Up-and-comer looks like star of the future (13 career starts)

Back-ups Returning (per Holiday Bowl depth chart)

Liam Ryan (RS Sophomore) — LT
Big Cedric Duren (RS Junior) — LG
Noah Osur-Myers (RS Junior) — C
Robert Valencia (RS Senior) – RG
Josh Watson (RS Sophomore) — RT

Other Returnees to Watch
Brian Greene (RS Freshman)
Alec Kuzmack (RS Freshman)
Christian Haangana (RS Sophomore)
Nilsson Gaisoa (RS Sophomore)
Seth Yost (RS Freshman)
Vaughnden Handel (RS Sophomore)
Abraham Lucas (RS Freshman)

Signees
Cade Beresford (True Freshman)
Keenan Forbes (RS Sophomore)
Jarrett Kingston (True Freshman)
Blake McDonald (True Freshman)
Syr Riley (True Freshman)

Can this year's "hosses" keep up the high standards as CML breaks in a new quarterback?

Might 362-lb. Christian Haangana be another late-blooming "Giant Surprise" like The Continent?

Will any newcomers crash their way into the starting lineup?

What are O-Line expectations with Spring Football just around the corner and the home opener at Laramie barely 6 months away?

If Mauigoa can continue to improve and with a year of experience move up from the bottom third into the top third of the PAC centers, we are probably in good shape. I see center as having been our weak point last season. Remember that Falk is left handed, so Dillard at LT was his blind side tackle. Depending upon who ends up at starting QB, Dillard may switch sides. The two announced back-up tackles for the Holiday were both RS Sophomores. I would hope that one of them can pick up the other tackle spot. That leaves a whole pile of folks to compete for the two open guard jobs. And it is possible that somebody will leap ahead of the two back-up tackles to take the starting tackle spot, or jump ahead of Mauigoa at center. I'd be happy if the transfer (Forbes) was good enough to do that at any of the positions. Heck, if he was good enough to earn a starting spot at any point along the line, I'd be happy to have him. I think the only guy who is relatively certain to keep his job is Dillard, though the QB selection process will have to be completed to know which side of the line he will be playing.

Should be interesting to see how it shakes out. There's enough bodies there to come up with 3 solid kids.

Remember that Falk is left handed, so Dillard at LT was his blind side tackle.

460x.jpg

Thanks for the info, Crazy.

There will probably be a lot of offseason buzz with Abraham Lucas and Cade Beresford, since both were so highly recruited and each has the long frame WSU's strength coaches can really develop in the weight room.

I was kind of surprised Dillard didn't enter the draft because some of the NFL draft gurus were saying he could be even a better pro prospect than either The Continent or Cole Madison. But Dillard may want to one-up his dad and be a first-team All-American in 2018.

I think the only guy who is relatively certain to keep his job is Dillard, though the QB selection process will have to be completed to know which side of the line he will be playing.

Is Cam Cooper the only QB on the roster that is a lefty, or are there others?

Nice mirror image pic!

On a serious note, it is nice to know that somebody reads what you say. My memory flip-flopped on me again. And I believe that Dillard has actually played both sides, unless that is yet another file drawer in my memory that has jumbled folders.

One of the premier offensive lines in the country according to Pro Football Focus and other analytics sites must be retooled with the departure of position coach Clay McGuire and three starters.

What can we expect going forward?

NFL/Graduated
Cody O'Connell, LG, two-time consensus All-American (25 career starts)
Cole Madison, RT, two-time All-Pac 12 (47 career starts)
B.J. Salmonson, RG, Could win Most Improved award at football banquet (14 career starts)

Starters Returning
Andre Dillard, LT (RS Senior) – Hon. Men. All-Pac 12. Well regarded by pro scouts (28 career starts)
Frederick Mauigoa, C (Junior) – Up-and-comer looks like star of the future (13 career starts)

Back-ups Returning (per Holiday Bowl depth chart)

Liam Ryan (RS Sophomore) — LT
Big Cedric Duren (RS Junior) — LG
Noah Osur-Myers (RS Junior) — C
Robert Valencia (RS Senior) – RG
Josh Watson (RS Sophomore) — RT

Bigge-Duren is no longer with the program.

Bigge-Duren is no longer with the program.

Thanks YakiCoug, although not great to hear since Biggie was running No. 2 at season's end and would've been the presumptive starter with The Continent headed to the NFL.

Any idea where he's transferring?

Head scratcher when CB-D was set to be running with the 1's in spring ball.

Wonder if CML and the new offensive line coach have either a Grad transfer or JuCo sleeper in their sights for the now available scholarship?

Thanks YakiCoug, although not great to hear since Biggie was running No. 2 at season's end and would've been the presumptive starter with The Continent headed to the NFL.

Any idea where he's transferring?

Head scratcher when CB-D was set to be running with the 1's in spring ball.

Wonder if CML and the new offensive line coach have either a Grad transfer or JuCo sleeper in their sights for the now available scholarship?

I don't believe he ever cracked the two deeps, because of injuries and others outplaying him. Might be wrong.
As for the replacements at the guard spots, Osur-Myers, Valencia, Forbes, nnd Haangana appear to have the inside track. Tackles likely will be Lucas and Dillard. Handel and Yost, while big, might be a year away.

If Mauigoa can continue to improve and with a year of experience move up from the bottom third into the top third of the PAC centers, we are probably in good shape. I see center as having been our weak point last season. Remember that Falk is left handed, so Dillard at LT was his blind side tackle. Depending upon who ends up at starting QB, Dillard may switch sides. The two announced back-up tackles for the Holiday were both RS Sophomores. I would hope that one of them can pick up the other tackle spot. That leaves a whole pile of folks to compete for the two open guard jobs. And it is possible that somebody will leap ahead of the two back-up tackles to take the starting tackle spot, or jump ahead of Mauigoa at center. I'd be happy if the transfer (Forbes) was good enough to do that at any of the positions. Heck, if he was good enough to earn a starting spot at any point along the line, I'd be happy to have him. I think the only guy who is relatively certain to keep his job is Dillard, though the QB selection process will have to be completed to know which side of the line he will be playing.
Mauigoa and Salmonson were our weak spot. The other night I watched a set of clips focused on Cody O'Connell in the Apple Cup. He generally held up ok. What I kept seeing though was Falk getting blasted by Vea and/or whoever was lined up across from Salmonson. Mauigoa had better games than the Apple Cup. That was a tough matchup in a scheme where he didn't get a lot of help. With BJ it happened a fair bit in other games. Whoever wins the starting QB job will not be able to stand back there and pick his nose like Falk did if he wants to walk without creaking in his 40s

Reactions: YakiCoug
Thanks for the info, Crazy.

There will probably be a lot of offseason buzz with Abraham Lucas and Cade Beresford, since both were so highly recruited and each has the long frame WSU's strength coaches can really develop in the weight room.

I was kind of surprised Dillard didn't enter the draft because some of the NFL draft gurus were saying he could be even a better pro prospect than either The Continent or Cole Madison. But Dillard may want to one-up his dad and be a first-team All-American in 2018.
Dillard is the best pro prospect on the o-line we've had in quite a long while. If he stays healthy he's probably 3rd round or higher.

LT Dillard. No contest.
C Mauigoa. Very probable and a certainty if he has improved heft and strength.
LG Osur-Myers. Filled in nicely for Cody at times. I would be surprised if he is not starting in this spot this Fall.
Right side of the line. ? Your guess is as good as mine. Staff has spoken well about Lucas and Haangana. Forbes? Takes awhile for a JC O-lineman to achieve solidarity with the others so may not see him until after the first few games. Kuzmack, Ryan? Not sold on Valencia. He could not supplant Salmonson and Salmonson struggled. Doubt if we will see a freshman playing much if at all. Red shirt them all and let them gain weight, strength and experience. As Biggs posted, there are enough prospects to fill the open slots.

Didn't Christian Haangana see time this year? I'm wondering if Cade can come in at 290. They might have to play as few players as possible so the young ones can redshirt ...rebuilding for next year. Handel's been putting on quality weight and working hard. He's averaged 25 pounds per year. I wouldn't be surprised if he came in at 320.

I think I remember Valencia dealing with an injury last fall camp. Did he play at all last season? If not, might have been due to injury issues.

I don't think he played at all in 2017, but I'd have to check the participation charts to make sure (But dang! I've posted twice after 9 p.m., on a Saturday. Spongeforbrains is sure to ding me!).

Reactions: Slowmotionjones
I think I remember Valencia dealing with an injury last fall camp. Did he play at all last season? If not, might have been due to injury issues.
O.K. Thank you, Jones. That might explain it. I don't recall him playing either. He came here with two to play two if my memory is correct. An injury could give him a medical red-shirt year.

Reactions: froropmkr72
O.K. Thank you, Jones. That might explain it. I don't recall him playing either. He came here with two to play two if my memory is correct. An injury could give him a medical red-shirt year.
That's what I'm hoping. Otherwise, he's got a year.

Just so you know......this post is 99% trolling and messing around....and not to be taken too seriously. However, the best trolling happens when there's a grain of truth.

For all of the tough talk in the past 6+ years about how Wulff and his offensive line recruiting was so terrible, and how he was full of crap that there just weren't very many linemen out there worth wasting scholarships on, I find it pretty damned funny that in year seven for Leach, we don't have five guys that we feel good about as starters. That's both tragic and freakin' hilarious. I wouldn't want Wulff back even if he paid us to let him do it, but I'm starting to think that he might have had a point. There just aren't that many good linemen out there. Lots of big bodies, but the overall package is hard to come by.

Again, I'm just being a troll.....but it's still funny. Feel free to ignore this and move along.

Mauigoa and Salmonson were our weak spot. The other night I watched a set of clips focused on Cody O'Connell in the Apple Cup. He generally held up ok. What I kept seeing though was Falk getting blasted by Vea and/or whoever was lined up across from Salmonson. Mauigoa had better games than the Apple Cup. That was a tough matchup in a scheme where he didn't get a lot of help. With BJ it happened a fair bit in other games. Whoever wins the starting QB job will not be able to stand back there and pick his nose like Falk did if he wants to walk without creaking in his 40s
I wouldn't read too much into that game. Anyone in space one on one with vita is going to look silly. That Apple Cup and some of the performances, especially on offense, was more a result of piss poor game planning. Anyone like Mauioga who was a victim of that gets a pass from me.

Just so you know......this post is 99% trolling and messing around....and not to be taken too seriously. However, the best trolling happens when there's a grain of truth.

For all of the tough talk in the past 6+ years about how Wulff and his offensive line recruiting was so terrible, and how he was full of crap that there just weren't very many linemen out there worth wasting scholarships on, I find it pretty damned funny that in year seven for Leach, we don't have five guys that we feel good about as starters. That's both tragic and freakin' hilarious. I wouldn't want Wulff back even if he paid us to let him do it, but I'm starting to think that he might have had a point. There just aren't that many good linemen out there. Lots of big bodies, but the overall package is hard to come by.

Again, I'm just being a troll.....but it's still funny. Feel free to ignore this and move along.

Oh I don't know - you make good points.

On the other hand, and I have no perspective on any of these guys, but at least after graduating 3 Sr. starters we have 2 seniors and 3 Juniors on tap, and a bevy of RS Sophs coming up behind them. So we do have some depth. As you say though, who knows if any of them will be good.

Oh I don't know - you make good points.

On the other hand, and I have no perspective on any of these guys, but at least after graduating 3 Sr. starters we have 2 seniors and 3 Juniors on tap, and a bevy of RS Sophs coming up behind them. So we do have some depth. As you say though, who knows if any of them will be good.

This is the case for most programs. Unless we've signed only two high school O-linemen in the past four years, I wouldn't fret too much about it. We didn't know Madison and Dillard would amount to much when they showed up weighing 245 pounds dripping wet. O'Connell, according to most high school coaches I know who watched him play as a teenager, required a lot of development before being named to All America teams.
As for anyone getting manhandled by Vita Vea, the list of victims is a long one.

I appreciate all your caveats, but for (my understanding of) the record, Wulff's comments came when he claimed there weren't a lot of good offensive line prospects on the west coast in one particular recruiting cycle in an attempt to explain why he only brought in a couple of offensive linemen in that year's class.

This situation is vastly different. We have a returning center with experience, a very solid left tackle, a right tackle prospect (Lucas) that Leach has gushed about for a long time now, and who probably could have played last year if he had to, as well as an expected starter at LG (Osur-Myers) who handled himself well last year when Cody was out and who was the backup at several spots. The only real question mark is at right guard, where there is a pretty big list of guys who could step up ... I suspect it will probably be Forbes.

A big reason why we don't feel good about some of these guys as starters is we just lost a couple of NFL-caliber players and a 5th-year senior, all of whom managed to stay pretty healthy and not let their backups get much run. In part, we just don't feel good about it due to the information vacuum. Nobody felt too good about O'Connell stepping in at LG a couple years ago, either, and he turned out to be an All-American in his first year. We'll see how it goes. This isn't to say any of the new guys are all-conference prospects, or even that they'll be solid starters, but the situation is much different than under Wulff. Also, Wulff's comments were more limited than you're portraying them. (And yes, I know and fully appreciate that you're mostly just trolling / having some fun here ... I just think these points are worth addressing.)

I appreciate all your caveats, but for (my understanding of) the record, Wulff's comments came when he claimed there weren't a lot of good offensive line prospects on the west coast in one particular recruiting cycle in an attempt to explain why he only brought in a couple of offensive linemen in that year's class.

This situation is vastly different. We have a returning center with experience, a very solid left tackle, a right tackle prospect (Lucas) that Leach has gushed about for a long time now, and who probably could have played last year if he had to, as well as an expected starter at LG (Osur-Myers) who handled himself well last year when Cody was out and who was the backup at several spots. The only real question mark is at right guard, where there is a pretty big list of guys who could step up ... I suspect it will probably be Forbes.

A big reason why we don't feel good about some of these guys as starters is we just lost a couple of NFL-caliber players and a 5th-year senior, all of whom managed to stay pretty healthy and not let their backups get much run. In part, we just don't feel good about it due to the information vacuum. Nobody felt too good about O'Connell stepping in at LG a couple years ago, either, and he turned out to be an All-American in his first year. We'll see how it goes. This isn't to say any of the new guys are all-conference prospects, or even that they'll be solid starters, but the situation is much different than under Wulff. Also, Wulff's comments were more limited than you're portraying them. (And yes, I know and fully appreciate that you're mostly just trolling / having some fun here ... I just think these points are worth addressing.)

Without a doubt, we'll plug in guys and someone will end up being a pleasant surprise. I know that we all like to think of Cody O'Connell as an NFL caliber player......but the reality is that he's not considered that by the NFL and scouts. If you go to the official NFL draft tracking site, he's not listed and he wasn't invited to the combine. Cody probably needed to find a way to shed about 20 lbs and quicken his feet and he's going to struggle to have the opportunity to show his worth now. He's obviously too big and has too many accolades to not get a free agent contract with someone, but he's got work to do to make a roster.

I'm hoping that some of the off-season staff changes work out as well as most of the prior ones have.

It is a lot easier to take 5 O linemen every year when you don't have to pick up any tight ends or fullbacks. That said, CML has taken that many year after year, which pretty much acknowledges that you take 5 to end up with 2 good ones in a class that can complete their eligibility and maybe a 3rd some years who can at least make the 2 deeps.

As we've said many times, O linemen have to be relatively smart as well as able to work very closely with others and possess the personality to permit them to get righteously mean when offended. It is a challenge to pick the kid in HS who will show those traits as well as an intense weight room ethic and ability to stay academically eligible.

We may have three O-line spots with limited information regarding who will fill those but I am not overly concerned. We still have Dillard and Mauigoa and, if I am right, Osur-Myers will fill the LG spot. That leaves the two on the right side to be filled. We have about five or six guys available to fill those two areas. Surely, we can come up with a pair or more who will be at least adequate or better. We'll be fine.

It is a lot easier to take 5 O linemen every year when you don't have to pick up any tight ends or fullbacks. That said, CML has taken that many year after year, which pretty much acknowledges that you take 5 to end up with 2 good ones in a class that can complete their eligibility and maybe a 3rd some years who can at least make the 2 deeps.

As we've said many times, O linemen have to be relatively smart as well as able to work very closely with others and possess the personality to permit them to get righteously mean when offended. It is a challenge to pick the kid in HS who will show those traits as well as an intense weight room ethic and ability to stay academically eligible.

You start with numbers to end with numbers. The best thing to happen to WSU was eliminating the TE position.

Reactions: PatBaum

425, as I recall from several years ago, someone mentioned this. Crazy thing is, there's a thing called a search on such things as a Rivals website. You can see how many players from any given year… from any given state… were available. Thus, if you look up how many Olinemen for say, the 3 west coast states plus throw in AZ, UT, ID you actually get a pretty good idea about the numbers. It also allows you to see how many of those players had offers from any given school, say WSU. Oddly, it didn't matter what year, there were a plethora of Olinemen available.

There are some that wish to propagate this concept 425… don't fall into the trap.

You start with numbers to end with numbers. The best thing to happen to WSU was eliminating the TE position.
I actually miss tight ends, but good line play is just too important. I'd be inclined to chase a tight end a year instead of a receiver. If he doesn't pan out as a receiver he'd probably be at least athletic enough to offer short yardage options and excellent scout team work in practice, or gain a few pounds and move to tackle. Price liked taking tight ends and turning them into linemen. It was a gamble, but it could pay off big. Pretty sure Rien Long came in as a tight end, and giants like Aaron Johnson did too.

425, as I recall from several years ago, someone mentioned this. Crazy thing is, there's a thing called a search on such things as a Rivals website. You can see how many players from any given year… from any given state… were available. Thus, if you look up how many Olinemen for say, the 3 west coast states plus throw in AZ, UT, ID you actually get a pretty good idea about the numbers. It also allows you to see how many of those players had offers from any given school, say WSU. Oddly, it didn't matter what year, there were a plethora of Olinemen available.

There are some that wish to propagate this concept 425… don't fall into the trap.

Are you saying that Wulff was not quite telling the truth?????

The same guy that got sanctioned by the NCAA and had two players test positive for PEDs?

I actually miss tight ends, but good line play is just too important. I'd be inclined to chase a tight end a year instead of a receiver. If he doesn't pan out as a receiver he'd probably be at least athletic enough to offer short yardage options and excellent scout team work in practice, or gain a few pounds and move to tackle. Price liked taking tight ends and turning them into linemen. It was a gamble, but it could pay off big. Pretty sure Rien Long came in as a tight end, and giants like Aaron Johnson did too.

TE/DE bodies are being brought in to develop into DT and OL. Price’s strategy was somewhat unique 20 years ago, but not anymore.

I think of it like this... If you're gonna go with TEs, how many snaps do they really get? If the TE is an every down player for you, fine. If he's 50% or so, forget it. You can't tie up 4 or 5 scholarships into 1 position that is only on the field for maybe 30 snaps of offense per game.

That $ is better off put into the OL. Pick one, a capable and deep offensive line OR a TE that gets 30 snaps per game.

You also have to acknowledge that some kids aren't offensive linemen. Just because the kid may have the body of a OL doesn't mean he's on board with the position move. Even if you're paying his way you still want a kids best effort.

Reactions: Tx64
I'd pencil in......

LT: Dillard
LG: Osur-Meyers (He's got really good feet)
C: FRED
RG: Valencia (The JC kid Forbes will be interesting to watch here, he anchors really good in his film and is really strong)
RT: Lucas (big upside)

Yeah, of course ... I was just correcting someone else's characterization of what he said. I thought it was obvious that I and all of us around here, with a couple exceptions, knew Wulff was full of it, both with regard to whether there were any suitable offensive line prospects that year on the west coast or whether a purported dearth of them on the west coast was a good reason for WSU being so deficient in numbers on the OL during Wulff's tenure (and afterward).

(I found an allusion to his statement, by the way ... if we'll pardon the Brand X link, it's here: https://247sports.com/college/washi...-breaks-down-his-new-class-of-Cougs-104777811. I found it using this crazy thing called a search on "Google," looking at the first "result" on a "web page," to borrow your tone. :) )

I thought it went without saying, but him saying that about the class of 2011 doesn't excuse the Cougs not bringing in enough offensive linemen throughout Wulff's time, nor does it in that year. It was so ridiculous that it was a self-evident joke.

Yeah, of course ... I was just correcting someone else's characterization of what he said. I thought it was obvious that I and all of us around here, with a couple exceptions, knew Wulff was full of it, both with regard to whether there were any suitable offensive line prospects that year on the west coast or whether a purported dearth of them on the west coast was a good reason for WSU being so deficient in numbers on the OL during Wulff's tenure (and afterward).

(I found an allusion to his statement, by the way ... if we'll pardon the Brand X link, it's here: https://247sports.com/college/washi...-breaks-down-his-new-class-of-Cougs-104777811. I found it using this crazy thing called a search on "Google," looking at the first "result" on a "web page," to borrow your tone. :) )

I thought it went without saying, but him saying that about the class of 2011 doesn't excuse the Cougs not bringing in enough offensive linemen throughout Wulff's time, nor does it in that year. It was so ridiculous that it was a self-evident joke.

I think that it is admirable but out of place on this board for both of you to actually look for the facts/truth instead of just blindly swallowing what some one else claims as truth. Keep it up.

I'd pencil in......

LT: Dillard
LG: Osur-Meyers (He's got really good feet)
C: FRED
RG: Valencia (The JC kid Forbes will be interesting to watch here, he anchors really good in his film and is really strong)
RT: Lucas (big upside)
I wouldn't rule out Kuzmack as a potential starter. Lucas is supposed to be a stud so I see him being a starter but I like the list. Its pretty close to being spot on IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT