ADVERTISEMENT

A response to a certain "alternative facts" post...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Here's a list of the scholarship O-linemen for the 2017 roster...
Noah Osur-Myers rs-soph
Andrew Dillard rs-junior
Cole Madison, senior
Liam Ryan rs-frosh
Josh Watson rs-frosh
Keenen King rs-frosh
Nilsson Gaisoa rs-frosh
Fred Mauigoa soph
Christian Haangana rs-frosh
B.J. Salmonson rs-senior
Cody O'Connell rs-senior
Amosa Sakaria rs-soph
Cedric Bigge-Duren rs-soph
Jonathan Nathaniel frosh
Robert Valencia junior
Abraham Lucus frosh
Alec Kuzmack frosh
Dontae Powell frosh
Brian Greene, frosh (academic schollie)

Total: 19

Here is a list of the scholarship O-linemen on the 2011 roster actually recruited by the $600,000 Club's hero...
David Gonzales senior
Taylor Meighan junior (transfer)
Wade Jacobsen senior
Elliott Bosch rs-soph (former TE)
Gunnar Eklund
Matt Goetz rs-soph (transfer)
John Fullington soph
Rico Forbes junior (transfer)
Jake Rodgers rs-frosh (former TE)

This list excludes Doba recruits B.J. Guerra (DL), Dan Spitz (DL-TE) and Andrew Roxas.
It also excludes a grayshirt, Alex Reitnouer, a rs-sophomore that Wulff's staff developed into a 6-5, 242 pound behemoth.
The list also excludes World Beater Walk-ons the Turd scraped from the rim of the toilet that was 6 and 40.

So, as you can see, Wulff left Leach quite a cupboard from his fourth season of recruiting the O-line. Just ask Erictile D. And since some are still stuck in the 1990s, how many years did Price have this many scholarship O-linemen on his roster? Yes, Leach et al will lose some of these guys, but when you're taking five a year, normal levels of attrition aren't going to cripple the program.

Last edited:
Noah Osur-Myers rs-soph
Andrew Dillard rs-junior
Cole Madison, senior
Liam Ryan rs-frosh
Josh Watson rs-frosh
Keenen King rs-frosh
Nilsson Gaisoa rs-frosh
Fred Mauigoa soph
B.J. Salmonson rs-senior
Cody O'Connell rs-senior
Amosa Sakaria rs-soph
Jonathan Nathaniel frosh
Robert Valencia junior
Abraham Lucus frosh
Alec Kuzmack frosh
Dontae Powell frosh

Here is a list of the scholarship O-linemen on the 2011 roster actually recruited by the $600,000 Club's hero...
David Gonzales senior
Wade Jacobsen senior
Gunnar Eklund
John Fullington soph

This list excludes Doba recruits B.J. Guerra (DL), Dan Spitz (DL-TE) and Andrew Roxas.
It also excludes a grayshirt, Alex Reitnouer, a rs-sophomore that Wulff's staff developed into a 6-5, 242 pound behemoth.
The list also excludes World Beater Walk-ons the Turd scraped from the rim of the toilet that was 6 and 40.

So, as you can see, Wulff left Leach quite a cupboard from his fourth season of recruiting the O-line. Just ask Erictile D. And since some are still stuck in the 1990s, how many years did Price have this many scholarship O-linemen on his roster? Yes, Leach et al will lose some of these guys, but when you're taking five a year, normal levels of attrition aren't going to cripple the program.

But that wasn't Wulff's fault. Just ask Jim Walden if you doubt it.

I don't always agree with Biggs, but he was right about Wulff's O line recruiting. You have to have numbers. You recruit the best you can get. If you only get 2 of the guys that you really wanted, then pick up another 3 or 4 guys who are 6'-5" and 265 (they are plentiful) and figure that if you develop them right, you will end up with 40-50% of them being helpful by their 3rd year. What you CAN'T afford to do is simply bring in 2 or 3 O linemen per year. Down that path lies failure. The thing that I think CML has done BEST in his recruiting is prioritize getting at least 5 O linemen each year.

You are right Yaki and Biggs . The most important position to recruit in numbers every year is OLine. You will never regret having a couple extra talented 6' 5 315 lb players taking up space on your roster.

It also looks like WSU could develop the reputation as a place that develops NFL talent for O Linemen.

Noah Osur-Myers rs-soph
Andrew Dillard rs-junior
Cole Madison, senior
Liam Ryan rs-frosh
Josh Watson rs-frosh
Keenen King rs-frosh
Nilsson Gaisoa rs-frosh
Fred Mauigoa soph
B.J. Salmonson rs-senior
Cody O'Connell rs-senior
Amosa Sakaria rs-soph
Jonathan Nathaniel frosh
Robert Valencia junior
Abraham Lucus frosh
Alec Kuzmack frosh
Dontae Powell frosh

David Gonzales senior
Wade Jacobsen senior
Gunnar Eklund
John Fullington soph

"wulff offered the same amount of lineman as USC" CougED

Reactions: 425cougfan
Noah Osur-Myers rs-soph
Andrew Dillard rs-junior
Cole Madison, senior
Liam Ryan rs-frosh
Josh Watson rs-frosh
Keenen King rs-frosh
Nilsson Gaisoa rs-frosh
Fred Mauigoa soph
B.J. Salmonson rs-senior
Cody O'Connell rs-senior
Amosa Sakaria rs-soph
Jonathan Nathaniel frosh
Robert Valencia junior
Abraham Lucus frosh
Alec Kuzmack frosh
Dontae Powell frosh

David Gonzales senior
Wade Jacobsen senior
Gunnar Eklund
John Fullington soph

Noah Osur-Myers rs-soph
Andrew Dillard rs-junior
Cole Madison, senior
Liam Ryan rs-frosh
Josh Watson rs-frosh
Keenen King rs-frosh
Nilsson Gaisoa rs-frosh
Fred Mauigoa soph
B.J. Salmonson rs-senior
Cody O'Connell rs-senior
Amosa Sakaria rs-soph
Jonathan Nathaniel frosh
Robert Valencia junior
Abraham Lucus frosh
Alec Kuzmack frosh
Dontae Powell frosh

David Gonzales senior
Wade Jacobsen senior
Gunnar Eklund
John Fullington soph

Whoa Joe....What got your Hanky Bankies in such a bunch? Was it the compliment I paid Leach saying he does a really good job managing the roster? Or was it the part I said he would have full numbers because of how he gets rid of the dead wood? Or the fact I respect him for not putting WSU at a disadvantage and not be handcuffed by a morality we should honor the scholies as 4 year agreements when they are one year rollovers. Or did it bother you I said hitting on 50% of the kids was good evaluation and pointed to the fact Price who went to the Rose Bowl hit on 50% of the kids except the 93 class/

N-nook not sure why that post was so bothersome to you.

Last edited:
"Bad year(s) for linemen on the west coast."

I don't know what year it was he said that, but what I never understood; if it's a bad year for linemen on the west coast, then look somewhere else. They landed a few guys from Fla. Was it a bad year for linemen in Fla as well? They landed guys from HI. No one there worth a schollie?

I don't know what year it was he said that, but what I never understood; if it's a bad year for linemen on the west coast, then look somewhere else. They landed a few guys from Fla. Was it a bad year for linemen in Fla as well? They landed guys from HI. No one there worth a schollie?

It sounded better than "We suck at recruiting."

It sounded better than "We suck at recruiting."

I've always said, I think Wulff & his staff really hustled on the recruiting trail. I would never accuse them of not trying. That said, they landed what I would expect from any woefully unqualified coaching staff that simply walks into area high schools wearing Pac 12 polo shirts.

Whoa Joe....What got your Hanky Bankies in such a bunch? Was it the compliment I paid Leach saying he does a really good job managing the roster? Or was it the part I said he would have full numbers because of how he gets rid of the dead wood? Or the fact I respect him for not putting WSU at a disadvantage and not be handcuffed by a morality we should honor the scholies as 4 year agreements when they are one year rollovers. Or did it bother you I said hitting on 50% of the kids was good evaluation and pointed to the fact Price who went to the Rose Bowl hit on 50% of the kids except the 93 class/

N-nook not sure why that post was so bothersome to you.
Price, your hero, next to wulff missed on half his recruits, your words not mine. that is not a good return

Price, your hero, next to wulff missed on half his recruits, your words not mine. that is not a good return

When you're program goes 13-5 in the conference over two seasons, and your success comes despite your recruiting classes ranking lower than most of your competitors and despite usual and customary attrition, it does say something about Leach and his staff. This isn't Saban's situation at Alabama where he just plugs in more 5 star recruits to replace the 50 percent who leave, but it also at this juncture isn't Price and definitely not the object of the $600,000 Club's desires and fantasies.

Who is my hero? Price? Wulff? Trust me I have zero hero's that are coaches. They are coaches, plain and simple. That is their job.

Actually a 50% return is a good return. Take a peek at our oline recruiting. 50% of the kids never saw the field and left the program. Like I said in the post which you got your tuba all in a thither over I said Leach did a great job in managing the roster and got rid of dead wood, kids that weren't going to contribute for a variety of reasons, and he re-recruited and stocked the position. Will all those kids pan out? Nope, probably half of them will.

When you're program goes 13-5 in the conference over two seasons, and your success comes despite your recruiting classes ranking lower than most of your competitors and despite usual and customary attrition, it does say something about Leach and his staff. This isn't Saban's situation at Alabama where he just plugs in more 5 star recruits to replace the 50 percent who leave, but it also at this juncture isn't Price and definitely not the object of the $600,000 Club's desires and fantasies.

Joe, trying to have a civil conversation with you is a Bankless- less. What part of the post got your hankies in a knot? The part I said Leach did a great job of managing the roster? Or the part that said if a kid wasn't going to contribute he found a way to free up scholies? I would get your post if it said I was dissatisfied with his recruiting or that I was dissatisfied with his methods, but that is not what happened at all.

I laid out factual information how he had 50% of the online recruits never contribute, and then state he restocked the position. Not sure why that is so bothersome to you. My guess is the restocked talent 50% will never contribute. Does that some how mean he cant recruit or coach? Nope.

Joe, trying to have a civil conversation with you is a Bankless- less. What part of the post got your hankies in a knot? The part I said Leach did a great job of managing the roster? Or the part that said if a kid wasn't going to contribute he found a way to free up scholies? I would get your post if it said I was dissatisfied with his recruiting or that I was dissatisfied with his methods, but that is not what happened at all.

I laid out factual information how he had 50% of the online recruits never contribute, and then state he restocked the position. Not sure why that is so bothersome to you. My guess is the restocked talent 50% will never contribute. Does that some how mean he cant recruit or coach? Nope.
When you actually recruit enough bodies that you create competition in practice rather than resorting to playing anybody that has a pulse, then of course some percentage of your recruits won't play, so who cares other than you? I'm glad 50% don't play, because it means there's actually some selection going.

When you actually recruit enough bodies that you create competition in practice rather than resorting to playing anybody that has a pulse, then of course some percentage of your recruits won't play, so who cares other than you? I'm glad 50% don't play, because it means there's actually some selection going.
I don't care. What's your point?

Apparently you do, since you keep bringing it up.
Actually I brought it up once. And I don't care. See if I care I would say Leach did a crappy job of evaluating talent. What I did say that got Yaki and others in a hot mess was that he has done a good job of managing the roster, and with 50% of his players never playing a down along the offensive line he still restocked the position, and that in some cases he "ran", encouraged or whatever term you feel most comfortable with in leaving the program to create a space to recruit new players that he hopes contribute, Leach realizes this is big boy football and the whole reason the four year scholie is truly a one year agreement at the discretion of university is that if a school makes an evaluation mistake they can get out of it. Price, Doba and Wulff would hang onto kids that they missed on, and their scholies became dead weight.

Leach grasps the "morality" play doesn't win football games, good football players do.

Actually I brought it up once. And I don't care. See if I care I would say Leach did a crappy job of evaluating talent. What I did say that got Yaki and others in a hot mess was that he has done a good job of managing the roster, and with 50% of his players never playing a down along the offensive line he still restocked the position, and that in some cases he "ran", encouraged or whatever term you feel most comfortable with in leaving the program to create a space to recruit new players that he hopes contribute, Leach realizes this is big boy football and the whole reason the four year scholie is truly a one year agreement at the discretion of university is that if a school makes an evaluation mistake they can get out of it. Price, Doba and Wulff would hang onto kids that they missed on, and their scholies became dead weight.

Leach grasps the "morality" play doesn't win football games, good football players do.
didn't you say missed on 50% of players, now it's 50%of O line players?

Chris Ball, Jim Walden, and Paul Wulff don't let erictile D come up for air very often, so the lapses are just going to happen. God, this is classic erictile dysfunction at its best.

What cretins here don't understand is that -assuming 50 percent is accurate - retaining half of five O-linemen signed each year is better than half of the 1-2 linemen signed each year 2008-2011. I'm not sure what kind of TBI causes this lapse, but it is embarrassing for these people to continually show up here trying to diminish this program's accomplishments (13-5 conference record over two seasons; three bowl games in four years) when they were on their knees with their lips locked on 6 and 40.

What cretins here don't understand is that -assuming 50 percent is accurate - retaining half of five O-linemen signed each year is better than half of the 1-2 linemen signed each year 2008-2011. I'm not sure what kind of TBI causes this lapse, but it is embarrassing for these people to continually show up here trying to diminish this program's accomplishments (13-5 conference record over two seasons; three bowl games in four years) when they were on their knees with their lips locked on 6 and 40.
Yo...Spanke... who diminished anything. It is a fact we have lost 50 of our lineman without playing. And again, it was stated in a compliment to Leach as to how he has managed the roster. How is a compliment about roster management diminishing his accomplishments?

I was talking about his oline when I was talking about hitting on 50% of the kids. I cant go back and see the post because for some reason it was deleted. I didn't look at the remainder of the roster, I just know Leach has not let scholie players on the oline take up value space. It is called roster management. Not sure why that is offensive to you or anyone else?

I was talking about his oline when I was talking about hitting on 50% of the kids. I cant go back and see the post because for some reason it was deleted. I didn't look at the remainder of the roster, I just know Leach has not let scholie players on the oline take up value space. It is called roster management. Not sure why that is offensive to you or anyone else?
it isn't offensive to me, the general tone of your post suggest that you are offended b y his roster management, and that tone, real or perceived is what produced the rest of this thread

Yes, the quote always stood out to me as epitomizing his excuse-making. Just dumb.

He said it in 2011 when explaining that class. Brand X wrote (here):

"[Wulff] said this is the first class where the coaching staff specifically has been able to target players they felt could redshirt because of the program's depth at the position. That includes junior-college transfers on the offensive line as Wulff said he hopes to add experience at those positions when linemen such as David Gonzales, Wade Jacobson and Andrew Roxas graduate. Redshirting some of the incoming junior-college transfers allows them to adapt to the program before playing the next two seasons, Wulff said. One example of that was Zack Williams, who redshirted in 2008 before starting the next two seasons. Wulff also said the Cougars' focus on linemen was a contributing factor in the small number of in-state signings. He said it was a poor year for linemen on the West Coast."

Here were the OL he signed in that class:

Wendell Taise - big grade risk, never made it into school, as I recall

Taylor Meighen - JC (from TX) with no other offers anywhere, barely played in 2011, never got in a game in 2012

Rico Forbes - JC (from TX) with no other offers -- injured his entire WSU career, pretty much (all of 2012 and 2013), after redshirting in 2011.

So, I guess if we give him the most charitable reading of "it was a poor year for linemen on the west coast," he really meant to say that he didn't sign a lot of in-state kids because he had to go get those two JC linemen in Texas. Uh, okay. At best, that's inarticulate, even if we give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think it's even more laughable that he said the class had a "focus on linemen" when he signed one high-school lineman (who never made it in and was a clear grade risk) and a couple JCs who never meaningfully contributed. Even if you don't ding him for Forbes getting injured (he seemed like a guy who could actually play in the Pac-12), it's pretty funny he called out the class as having a focus on linemen when he brought in that "haul." I'm sure glad he's not around to make recruiting decisions--or excuses--any longer.

Sometimes I think Leach might be able to get away with 4 OL instead of 5 per class once in a while, but I'd sure rather err on the side of too many, and not too few, linemen. You get down to scrubs there and everything shuts down.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Yes, the quote always stood out to me as epitomizing his excuse-making. Just dumb.

He said it in 2011 when explaining that class. Brand X wrote (here):

"[Wulff] said this is the first class where the coaching staff specifically has been able to target players they felt could redshirt because of the program's depth at the position. That includes junior-college transfers on the offensive line as Wulff said he hopes to add experience at those positions when linemen such as David Gonzales, Wade Jacobson and Andrew Roxas graduate. Redshirting some of the incoming junior-college transfers allows them to adapt to the program before playing the next two seasons, Wulff said. One example of that was Zack Williams, who redshirted in 2008 before starting the next two seasons. Wulff also said the Cougars' focus on linemen was a contributing factor in the small number of in-state signings. He said it was a poor year for linemen on the West Coast."

Here were the OL he signed in that class:

Wendell Taise - big grade risk, never made it into school, as I recall

Taylor Meighen - JC (from TX) with no other offers anywhere, barely played in 2011, never got in a game in 2012

Rico Forbes - JC (from TX) with no other offers -- injured his entire WSU career, pretty much (all of 2012 and 2013), after redshirting in 2011.

So, I guess if we give him the most charitable reading of "it was a poor year for linemen on the west coast," he really meant to say that he didn't sign a lot of in-state kids because he had to go get those two JC linemen in Texas. Uh, okay. At best, that's inarticulate, even if we give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think it's even more laughable that he said the class had a "focus on linemen" when he signed one high-school lineman (who never made it in and was a clear grade risk) and a couple JCs who never meaningfully contributed. Even if you don't ding him for Forbes getting injured (he seemed like a guy who could actually play in the Pac-12), it's pretty funny he called out the class as having a focus on linemen when he brought in that "haul." I'm sure glad he's not around to make recruiting decisions--or excuses--any longer.

Sometimes I think Leach might be able to get away with 4 OL instead of 5 per class once in a while, but I'd sure rather err on the side of too many, and not too few, linemen. You get down to scrubs there and everything shuts down.

No linemen on the west coast, but yet, somehow, the Mountain West conference still managed to put together an all conference team in '13, '14 & '15.

it isn't offensive to me, the general tone of your post suggest that you are offended b y his roster management, and that tone, real or perceived is what produced the rest of this thread
What "tone", the part I said he di a good job in clearing out the dead wood and making sure he always had numbers at the oline position? Was it in the tone I said Doba and Wulff and even Price would "honor" scholies for players who it was discovered weren't Pac 10 material? Or when I said Price hit on 50% of the players and one year in 1993 had a banner year that propelled him to the Rose Bowl.

If Leach hits on 50% of the lineman and still brings in the numbers and clears out the dead wood, that is a successful recruiting class. I haven't looked at his overall recruiting numbers, but I would guess he is right at 50% in terms of his evaluation which is what Price did and had success. So I am not sure what tone you are referring to other than me paying Leach a compliment.

Was it in the tone I said Doba and Wulff and even Price would "honor" scholies for players who it was discovered weren't Pac 10 material?
Under Price/Doba weren't there yearly offseason player/coach meetings that were essentially 'thanks for the time we will help you find a new home'? The 'depth chart' discussions? Every coach runs players.

Under Price/Doba weren't there yearly offseason player/coach meetings that were essentially 'thanks for the time we will help you find a new home'? The 'depth chart' discussions? Every coach runs players.

Yes, there were.

If only Leach & Moos could CLEAR OUT OUR dEaD WOOD FANS.

Now that would be a big time addition by subtraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: YakiCoug
If only Leach & Moos could CLEAR OUT OUR DEAD WOOD FANS.

Now that would be a big time addition by subtraction.

A meeting of the $600,000 Club has just convened...
the-three-stooges.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT