ADVERTISEMENT

One last comment on the Apple Cup...

So Shaw and Whittingham (a very good defensive coach) aren't smart enough? They aren't as smart as UW's coaches?
Also, I'm not talking about just this season. Utah had a beastly defensive line when we beat them in SLC a few seasons ago. Some NFL-level guys.
Help me out. I'm not seeing consistency in your logic here.

Whittingham at some point must have rebuffed Chris Ball's attempt to get a job at Utah. It explains why Ed is so butt hurt about KW.

So Shaw and Whittingham (a very good defensive coach) aren't smart enough? They aren't as smart as UW's coaches?
Also, I'm not talking about just this season. Utah had a beastly defensive line when we beat them in SLC a few seasons ago. Some NFL-level guys.
Help me out. I'm not seeing consistency in your logic here.
Let me start with the following question...what defense does Utah play?

Whittingham at some point must have rebuffed Chris Ball's attempt to get a job at Utah. It explains why Ed is so butt hurt about KW.
I am "butt hurt" about KW? I think he is a good coach and I don't think he is offensive minded, which will explain why he goes through OC's like they are candy.

Ed, do I have to jump through hoops to get your response?
I answered your question, you apparently just don't know it. If it were as simple as saying "they aren't smart enough"meaning Shaw and KW then that is the answer I would give you.

Coaches fall back on what they do best. Leach runs the Air Raid. Is he going to put in the option because a team struggles against it? No.

KW is a 4-3 coach. That is what they do best. That means there are seven in coverage to cover 5. Falk and Tuel (when he was here " are/was indecisive because teams like BYU (who gave everyone the blueprint) rushed 3 dropped 8. We ran the ball against a three man front 6 times in the Apple Cup. . We want to throw the ball. UW gets that. They are willing to play zone and hammer our receivers and punish them when they catch it...if they do catch it. And in the AC over the last three years we have had numerous drops.

Falk could have had 5 to six yards every time he dropped back simply by taking off after his first read.

Offensively, yeah I think Peterson is one of the best and he has made adjustments against us that Stanford and Utah did not. He allowed our strength to become a weakness. He didn't care that they stunted, he closed up the splits a little and "washed" our dline and the back cut back against the grain.

There was one play Gaskin's went in untouched for a TD. They washed the dline to the right, countered back with the H back who was on the right to kick out the left DE and Gaskin's went in untouched on the left side.

Do I think UW is 27 points better than the Cougs. Nope.

But one it is a match-up problem schematically. Two it is a problem in philosophy. The Cougs seem to go in with Luke's demeanor, just another game, perfect your job one play at a time. It seems Peterson has a slightly different method to the game.

One, add a tweak or two and make it easier on the kids. Two , be as precise as you can and do your own job but do it with passion as it is your last play that you will play. If it isn't as "clean" as you would like that is ok cause it is made up with a passion that WSU has not been able to match.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT