ADVERTISEMENT

One positive about Leach’s rant.

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Over on the Arkansas fan site, they have a 54 page message string on Leach, and up until yesterday, the majority of the posts were in favor of hiring him.

After his rant with Blanchette, that completely flipped. Most of the fans are now saying pass. That he just “Epsteined” himself out of consideration. One poster proposed that a lot of Leach’s frustration yesterday may have been compounded by the fact that Arkansas had told him thanks but no thanks earlier in the week.

I hope this is true. I want Leach in Pullman for another 5 years at least. Quirks and all.

Reactions: TZCoug84 and Cougzz
You are right. Arkansas fans turned on a dime. Those antics wouldn’t survive in the SEC. Or most anyplace else. I’m just waiting for the Bruce Feldman ‘Annual PR Drive to Get Leach a Better Job’.

Reactions: Slowmotionjones
Grippi makes a good point as to how those comments will be used against Leach on the recruiting trail despite Leach speaking the truth about what a biotch JB is.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/nov/30/grip-sports-it-wasnt-apple-cup-remember-washington/
The press is rallying around one of their own pretty quickly. I'm not clicking on any sr bait, but I really doubt 'ol Vince knows much about recruiting. It's like the Ducks say: "no such thing as bad press." Oregon has had to deal with much worse.

This isn't Leach's first run in with the press. Probably not his last. He handles himself just fine.

Grippi makes a good point as to how those comments will be used against Leach on the recruiting trail despite Leach speaking the truth about what a biotch JB is.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/nov/30/grip-sports-it-wasnt-apple-cup-remember-washington/

I don’t believe it will hurt WSU on the recruiting trail at all. Leach is who he is. His personality is well known, and face to face, recruits and their parents like him.

Leach wins games, values academic achievement, and doesn’t tolerate thuggery. He might not be PC, but he has strong values as they relate to personal conduct and goal attainment.

The press is rallying around one of their own pretty quickly. I'm not clicking on any sr bait, but I really doubt 'ol Vince knows much about recruiting. It's like the Ducks say: "no such thing as bad press." Oregon has had to deal with much worse.

This isn't Leach's first run in with the press. Probably not his last. He handles himself just fine.

It’s what they do.

Reactions: chipdouglas
Missouri is a very liberal school, and with Sterk, I think Leach’s personality might be a bit too much for them. Never know, though.

Leach's comments won’t have any impact on anything whatsoever. Comments like that will fly in the SEC to the same degree they fly in the Big-12, Big-10 and Pac-12. They aren’t going to have any impact on recruiting regardless of where he is.

He called out a troll reporter after an emotional loss. It’ll be forgotten in a month.

It just kinda feels like Leach may be looking to leave more than in years past.

Yea, he might be. I think the SEC is where he’d really like to land. His window of opportunity is beginning to close. Even the Arkansas fan boys are suggesting that his best coaching might be behind him and that they’d rather have someone on the uptick of their career.

I’ve also read that UCLA and Chip Kelly might be parting ways.

Find the Lt Governor's concern trolling tweets from last night if you want cheap entertainment.

Habib, ivy league lawyer, Council on foreign relations...…..not suprising, hes got the globalist pedigree

Yea, he might be. I think the SEC is where he’d really like to land. His window of opportunity is beginning to close. Even the Arkansas fan boys are suggesting that his best coaching might be behind him and that they’d rather have someone on the uptick of their career.

I’ve also read that UCLA and Chip Kelly might be parting ways.

I don't understand the theory that Leach wants out. He might be willing to listen to other offers, but he's always done that. He's never voluntarily left as a head coach, however.

It's been a rough year, but Leach seems like the same old Leach. Maybe he cashes in if a program comes out at offers him 6-7 million per year but Leach hasn't given any indication he wants out of town.

Because it's only fair for them to call someone out, but when THEY get called out...
that's exactly right, where is the rule that they can be rude and troll, but if you ever call them out-OMG Media Outrage echo chamber-you have violated a holy code.

Reminds me of the Bernie guy, big St Louis reporter, holier than thou PC reporter that was always hounding the hell out of coaches and moralizing-turns out he was beating his wife and got a DUI. I can find his name if I search it, he was pretty big on fox/espn. Skip Bayless is another one.

if you look at the guys picture, he really matches the part

that's exactly right, where is the rule that they can be rude and troll, but if you ever call them out-OMG Media Outrage echo chamber-you have violated a holy code.

I got my degree in journalism. It's totally okay to be critical, but it must be fair. It's okay to say you were wrong too. The ego in writing is driven to create sensationalism and false narratives.

Just because I don't like someone doesn't mean I shouldn't be fair. (My take) Writers like JB, Ken Goe, Dwight Jaynes (not as much now), they're more reactionary...if they do not like you, you don't get a fair shake. They sell narratives to sell papers, not truths. None of those guys, even early on in the CML era chose to do their due diligence on how the Tech situation truly played out - they just saw an opportunity to slam someone and when Leach most likely caught wind of receiving some unfair treatment, he's cold and they're upset they're not receiving access. Look what happened with Brand X. Being a columnist means you can give your opinion, fine, but just back it up with actual facts.

On the flip side, I recognize that Leach isn't everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. He's had his moments too.

TL;DR, I'm tired of crap media in any subject. I barely know what goes on anymore as I try to just avoid it all.

Reminds me of the Bernie guy, big St Louis reporter, holier than thou PC reporter that was always hounding the hell out of coaches and moralizing-turns out he was beating his wife and got a DUI. I can find his name if I search it, he was pretty big on fox/espn. Skip Bayless is another one.

if you look at the guys picture, he really matches the part
Believe you’re referencing Jay Mariotta, out of Chicago.

yes mariotti is correct I was thinking of Bernie in st louis who used to harass norm stewart and norm took the podium and called him out for getting a dui, said he was the town drunk and shouldn't be moralizing LOL

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Leach was not “trash talking his own guys.” He was taking a shot at media recruiting rankings.

Exactly right, but as done in the post you were responding to, I expect about 80% of people to read it the wrong way, likely purposefully. Sort of like the BS reporting of having called his team leaders "frauds" when he said that they either were frauds or hadn't gotten through to the team. All that was reported was the "frauds" label. The media purposefully distorts this stuff. I'd advise Leach to not give the quotes he does, but they almost always aren't as bad as reported or implied if read and considered in context.

I think he was inarticulately calling out media hypocrisy.

It really is just that simple. Read all year about how great UW recruiting, all world QB, all world Coach, but when they win, how come you can't beat them.

Speaking of bad streaks against a rival , Mich. just lost their 8th straight again against tOSU and Harbaugh is 0-5 in that game. And surprise he did not like a reporter smug questioning anymore than Leach did. :

I don’t believe it will hurt WSU on the recruiting trail at all. Leach is who he is. His personality is well known, and face to face, recruits and their parents like him.

Leach wins games, values academic achievement, and doesn’t tolerate thuggery. He might not be PC, but he has strong values as they relate to personal conduct and goal attainment.
If a recruit is choosing schools based on relationships between the coach and the media, he’s probably got his priorities out of wack. Highly likely he’s doing a hat dance in front of his school too.

This from an article about the state of Miami Hurricane football;
Maybe Diaz could be like Fickell and go back to doing what he knows he is good at, running the defense, without any hard feelings. He is going to be on the Miami payroll for a while regardless of what happens. I suggested James bring in someone with experience at being a head coach, preferably someone who could solve Miami's unacceptable problems on offense. I threw out a very radical name. Mike Leach. He has hit a road block at Washington State and would agree to come to Coral Gables in five seconds. That move might be reality as opposed to the countless others which could have been proposed from Mario Cristobal to Urban Meyer to Lincoln Riley. But Leach lost his mind a little at Friday's postgame presser after the Washington game, so that idea probably needs an audible.

https://miami.rivals.com/news/opinion-the-tears-of-the-canes-fan-fall-from-the-sky

I honestly can't believe the outrage over a couple of coaches being grumpy after they lost their rivalry game.

The circle the wagons mentality of the thin-skinned sports media is laughable. No subject is taboo, they can poke the bear as often and hard as they want, they can even go on vendetta-like tirades against the coach, family, and friends and yet no one bats an eye.

But one of the coaches hurts their wittle feewings... HOW DARE THEY!

I honestly can't believe the outrage over a couple of coaches being grumpy after they lost their rivalry game.

The circle the wagons mentality of the thin-skinned sports media is laughable. No subject is taboo, they can poke the bear as often and hard as they want, they can even go on vendetta-like tirades against the coach, family, and friends and yet no one bats an eye.

But one of the coaches hurts their wittle feewings... HOW DARE THEY!

To be fair, Mike Leach came across as a bit thin skinned with some hurt feelings himself. That said....to hell with Blanchette.

I think it was perfectly fair for the original reporter to ask the question of Leach of why UW dominates the AC year after year. I would be disappointed if someone didn't ask that basic question of the coach even if his flippant answer (you guys rank the recruits.....etc.) was very predictable. The problem was Blanchette's snarky followup question and the fact that he's been anti-Coug for a lifetime.

Glad Cougar

I think it was perfectly fair for the original reporter to ask the question of Leach of why UW dominates the AC year after year. I would be disappointed if someone didn't ask that basic question of the coach even if his flippant answer (you guys rank the recruits.....etc.) was very predictable. The problem was Blanchette's snarky followup question and the fact that he's been anti-Coug for a lifetime.

Glad Cougar

Correction- Blanchette has been a sanctimonious troll for a lifetime.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Take his press credentials. If the paper isnt going to write anything but negative views about your school, why have them there? Why have them write anything? No news is better than negative propaganda.

Take his press credentials. If the paper isnt going to write anything but negative views about your school, why have them there? Why have them write anything? No news is better than negative propaganda.
That is incorrect....

To be fair, Mike Leach came across as a bit thin skinned with some hurt feelings himself. That said....to hell with Blanchette.

After the game, I went home, started to put up the lights and I was listening to post game remarks. Our coverage ended so I listened to KJR with huge Melon. He did make a remark about the press conference, said Leach was a like a POW who just cracked, told the enemy his unit was just over the second hill.

I get that Blanchette is negative, but why give him life? Why give him oxygen?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT