ADVERTISEMENT

OSU vs WSU gamethread

52-23 late in the 4th
solid win over a lower ranked pac-12 team.
Need to continue this next week and not regress.
Good job guys.

I thought Falk looked a lot better as the second half progressed. Hard to tell if it was confidence or whether the OSU defenders just got gassed. There are still areas for improvement, but it was nice to see him throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field. Hopefully this carry over into Nevada and then PAC 12 play. Our D is playing really well but we are still going to have to put up a lot of points in win conference games.

When Falk has a breakout game against USC or UW then ,he is what people want him to be. he will have impressive stats next week then we will see how he reacts to pressure against a talent laden team.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Falk's greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. He is highly regarded because of his accuracy. Because it's something that he obsesses about, he abhors throwing those risky passes that have about a 1 in 4 chance of being caught. I'm not saying throw into coverage. I'm talking about the ones where he's throwing it 35+ yards downfield and he puts it in a spot where only his guy can get it. He did a much better job yesterday than he had in the previous two games.

Through his first two games, Falk was 57 of 73 for 504 yards. That's a completion rate of 78%. If he had taken 12 more deep throws that ended up with three 40 yard completions instead, his stat line would change to 51 of 73 (69.8%) for 541 yards. His yards per attempt would jump from 6.9 ypa to 7.4 ypa and it would further improve his ability to work the underneath areas plus make running the ball easier. Now, to be fair, our offensive line has kind of sucked this year, so I don't know if he'd have the time to get an extra 12 long passes completed, but then again, he's taken multiple sacks after holding onto the ball for 4+ seconds, which is plenty of time for our receivers to get deep.

On each of his Td passes ,he was untouched. We will see how he responds to pressure against USC. People blame the O line but a good Qb will have a quicker release and perhaps even scramble a few times to offset the rush .I hope he has a breakout game against USC but we will see. I said prior to the OSU game that he would have a banner game and people will say that Falk is back. Falk did and posters replied like i said they would.

Falk's greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. He is highly regarded because of his accuracy. Because it's something that he obsesses about, he abhors throwing those risky passes that have about a 1 in 4 chance of being caught. I'm not saying throw into coverage. I'm talking about the ones where he's throwing it 35+ yards downfield and he puts it in a spot where only his guy can get it. He did a much better job yesterday than he had in the previous two games.

Through his first two games, Falk was 57 of 73 for 504 yards. That's a completion rate of 78%. If he had taken 12 more deep throws that ended up with three 40 yard completions instead, his stat line would change to 51 of 73 (69.8%) for 541 yards. His yards per attempt would jump from 6.9 ypa to 7.4 ypa and it would further improve his ability to work the underneath areas plus make running the ball easier. Now, to be fair, our offensive line has kind of sucked this year, so I don't know if he'd have the time to get an extra 12 long passes completed, but then again, he's taken multiple sacks after holding onto the ball for 4+ seconds, which is plenty of time for our receivers to get deep.
But yet in 3rd and 22 when everyone knows he needs to throw it downfield he threads the needle and hits his receiver in perfect stride. That's what's frustrating about Falk. He can do it and it's easy for him, he's just scared to try it on first or second down...when he will have a much lower chance of failure because there's 20 other things the defense needs to consider.

Hopefully that was a big confidence booster for him, because it's all in his head.

There wasn't much more Falk could have done yesterday. We got behind the chains a few times due to penalties, but the receivers were open all day, and he hit them.

There wasn't much more Falk could have done yesterday. We got behind the chains a few times due to penalties, but the receivers were open all day, and he hit them.
I disagree. Two really bad fade throws in the east EZ. We would have drawn a flag on each had they been catchable. Instead we have to go for it on 4th (and convert).

And everyone of those sacks (perhaps except one) were preventable. He saw the pressure and could have tossed away over a receivers head.

The lack of consistency and thought is very frustrating, especially for a senior.

Falk has been frustrating, but I don't put all of it on the QB. For those who have been able to see the game in person, how good have the WRs been at really getting open and gaining separation prior to yesterday? In fact, a few of the TD passes yesterday were perfectly thrown by Luke where the receiver was well covered.

I don't disagree that he needs to play a whole lot better when the competition gets better, but to make a switch right now to Hilinski makes no sense.

Glad Cougar

He could have gone 50-50 with 50 TDs and 3,750 yards. You sir, clearly do not expect perfection!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT