ADVERTISEMENT

OT: This is how to handle the #1 draft pick...

Amazing. Tennessee can solidify their roster with this trade while the LA Rams will have to hope that the #1, whoever that may be, will be an all-pro franchise pillar for years. Plus I see that Tennessee gets next years LA first round pick and if LA struggles as expected it will be a high one. It might turn out to be advantageous for LA but I doubt it. Looks to me that the Titans pulled off a swindle.

Both teams got what they wanted. Titans thought they needed a deep draft. Rams thought they needed to take the next Peyton Manning. If both get what they want, then 10 years from now both will talk about what a great draft year this was. The real question is whether each can manage to get good picks. The odds favor the Titans, but given the rather minimal QB selection available this year, you can understand why the Rams did what they did…they really need a QB for the future. And recognize that the Rams have had a few good drafts leading up to this year and have a pretty good O line to put in front of the rookie QB.

Side note: the Rams are practically giving away season tickets in year 1 (playing at SC's Mem. Coll.). They had almost 60,000 people sign up for the ticket lottery, so the season ticket allotment is over-subscribed. But they want to build a season ticket base for the new stadium that might be ready in the 3rd season. These guys are not acting dumb. I would be reluctant to dismiss their strategy, though it certainly carries some risk.

Second side note: As I understand it, the Ram's owner controls Screaming Eagle and Jonata. At least there will be good wine at the Ram's games!

Both teams got what they wanted. Titans thought they needed a deep draft. Rams thought they needed to take the next Peyton Manning. If both get what they want, then 10 years from now both will talk about what a great draft year this was. The real question is whether each can manage to get good picks. The odds favor the Titans, but given the rather minimal QB selection available this year, you can understand why the Rams did what they did…they really need a QB for the future. And recognize that the Rams have had a few good drafts leading up to this year and have a pretty good O line to put in front of the rookie QB.

Side note: the Rams are practically giving away season tickets in year 1 (playing at SC's Mem. Coll.). They had almost 60,000 people sign up for the ticket lottery, so the season ticket allotment is over-subscribed. But they want to build a season ticket base for the new stadium that might be ready in the 3rd season. These guys are not acting dumb. I would be reluctant to dismiss their strategy, though it certainly carries some risk.

Second side note: As I understand it, the Ram's owner controls Screaming Eagle and Jonata. At least there will be good wine at the Ram's games!

Both teams did get what they wanted. That is true. But, was it wise for LA to do this? In my opinion, no. Teams that have given up a king's ransom seldom come out ahead. You need to continually replace players. The Rams have been stuck on 7-9 for so long. They lost several a couple of starters to free agency like Janoris Jenkins and Rodney McLeod.

Now, a lot of teams lose players. Will the Rams be able to replace them? Especially now that they gave up a lot of high draft picks?

The Rams will also have several players that will be coming up for their second contracts soon and LA will begin to have to make more choices because of the salary cap. Robert Quinn already signed a huge contract. But, Michael Brockers and Mark Barron are coming up after this year. The cap is going to become strained soon.

I still think they are behind Arizona and Seattle. But, we shall see.

Last edited:
This brings to mind the old saying, "Be careful what you wish for." I agree with 1990 that the Rams got what they wanted but will probably regret it in the end. This trade reminds me of the Chargers' trading up to the #2 spot in order to grab Manning or Leaf, whoever remained after the first selection. San Diego gave away the store. Sending all-pro players and picks for the chance. Had they ended up with Manning the trade may well have been advantageous in the long run even with what they lost in the process. They got Leaf and went from challenger to chump in a hurry. About a third of the first round selections never amount to much and this is accentuated at the quarterback position where the failure rate is even higher. Saying it carries some risk is putting it mildly. If I were making the decision I would have maybe selected a QB later in the draft and would have waited to spend a first round selection next year when the pool of quarterbacks will be larger. But it is not my decision and one would hope they have a better grasp on these matters than I do. I wish them luck. They will need it.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a team get more from a trade, and I'm surprised it happened this year, in a relatively weak draft. The Rams must really think they see something in somebody. Presumably, that's either Goff or Wentz. Neither is likely to fall to #15 (where the Rams were), so now they're sure to get who they wanted. There's a lot riding on this pick now though, so it needs to be a home run. I don't think I'd ever use the #1 on an FCS player, but Jeff Fisher did pretty well with an FCS QB when they were at Tennessee.

The Titans, on the other hand, get a couple of swings. With 3 2nd round picks, they could even move back up in the first round this year if someone they really want looks to be in danger (I'm thinking OL for them, and there are several good tackles this year). They should be able to put together a pretty solid foundation, and if there's still a piece missing, they'll have a couple of first rounders next year to fill the void.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a team get more from a trade, and I'm surprised it happened this year, in a relatively weak draft. The Rams must really think they see something in somebody. Presumably, that's either Goff or Wentz. Neither is likely to fall to #15 (where the Rams were), so now they're sure to get who they wanted. There's a lot riding on this pick now though, so it needs to be a home run. I don't think I'd ever use the #1 on an FCS player, but Jeff Fisher did pretty well with an FCS QB when they were at Tennessee.

The Titans, on the other hand, get a couple of swings. With 3 2nd round picks, they could even move back up in the first round this year if someone they really want looks to be in danger (I'm thinking OL for them, and there are several good tackles this year). They should be able to put together a pretty solid foundation, and if there's still a piece missing, they'll have a couple of first rounders next year to fill the void.

John Schneider did an interview two days ago saying this was the deepest draft since 2010. In this draft, it is good to have extra picks. It would not surprise me if the Seahawks trade down to pick up extra picks.

Tennessee already has their QB, so they can really begin to patch holes on their team. I expect them to be a playoff contender in no time.

The Rams, I think, are still behind the Seahawks and Cardinals. By the time their QB improves enough to take them to the playoffs, they will be having tough salary cap choices. Plus, they will have lost two years of depth draft picks which will keep them from ever having a great window.

John Schneider did an interview two days ago saying this was the deepest draft since 2010. In this draft, it is good to have extra picks. It would not surprise me if the Seahawks trade down to pick up extra picks.

Tennessee already has their QB, so they can really begin to patch holes on their team. I expect them to be a playoff contender in no time.

The Rams, I think, are still behind the Seahawks and Cardinals. By the time their QB improves enough to take them to the playoffs, they will be having tough salary cap choices. Plus, they will have lost two years of depth draft picks which will keep them from ever having a great window.
I chose my words poorly. It's probably not a weak draft, but it's a flat draft. Fewer stars than usual, fewer clear-cut, high-impact first rounders. Prospects in this draft will be better for building long-term, not as good for immediate impact. There's a lot of solid linemen though, on both sides.

'95, I think they go for Wentz. And I think their next pick after Wentz is a receiver; maybe their next 2 picks. Then they invest a year in getting Wentz up to speed. After that, we'll have some idea of how he will turn out.

'95, I think they go for Wentz. And I think their next pick after Wentz is a receiver; maybe their next 2 picks. Then they invest a year in getting Wentz up to speed. After that, we'll have some idea of how he will turn out.
ESPN is saying that Goff will be their choice. Apparently the Browns also wanted Goff and are now looking to trade down.

I chose my words poorly. It's probably not a weak draft, but it's a flat draft. Fewer stars than usual, fewer clear-cut, high-impact first rounders. Prospects in this draft will be better for building long-term, not as good for immediate impact. There's a lot of solid linemen though, on both sides.

The buzz around drafts and how good of a draft it is tends to lean toward the skill players. There is no great QB in this class. Neither Goff, nor Wentz is as good of a prospect as Mariota or Winston were last year.

There are no great WR's, RB's, etc. The areas of the draft that are deep are the non sexy picks, the lineman.

I agree that the depth will be better for building long term. Still, I am not sure that a QB steps right in and is good from day one.

I've got the feeling it'll be Wentz too, but Goff is the safer pick.

This is a really deep draft, just not at QB. Such an awful, but most welcome, decision by the Rams.

Hanging onto Fisher all but ensures their irrelevance for another 5 years.

Reactions: Coug1990
This is a really deep draft, just not at QB. Such an awful, but most welcome, decision by the Rams.

Hanging onto Fisher all but ensures their irrelevance for another 5 years.

The Seahawks have the best front office in the division. The Cardinals are a close second. However, they have an aging QB who is often injured and their window for contention is small.

As long as Fisher is coach, the Rams will be average. Not bad, not great, but hover around 7-9 or 8-8. He has been a head coach for 21 seasons and he has 6 winning seasons. He has not had a winning season since 2008. Let's just hope the Rams never get smart and fire him.

The less said about the 49ers the better.

I don't think Arizona's window is going to be small. There really is no "window" if you have a strong front office, see New England, Green Bay. They will need a QB for sure, but they are loaded at several spots with young and experienced guys.

In other breaking bad-pick-trade news, the Browns just cleaned out Philly's picks so the Eagles to take the other overrated QB at #2.

The Browns may have gotten an even better deal than the Titans did. They still stay in the top 10, where they're going to get an impact defensive player (probably) and they probably get a high pick next year too.

I still think Wentz is a risk in the NFL. He's got the physical tools, but I'd be concerned about whether he's quick enough between the ears to transition from D-1AA to the NFL.

As for Arizona, if Paxton Lynch falls that far, they pick up their future QB there. If not, I think they shore up the secondary a bit. They're not in bad shape, and with just a couple moves and upgrades they're in Super Bowl contention for 3-5 years.

My question mark is the Seahawks. Do they pick OL or DL? I don't think they replace Lynch in the first round this year, I just don't see an RB with first round potential that is likely to be available at #26.

I don't think Arizona's window is going to be small. There really is no "window" if you have a strong front office, see New England, Green Bay. They will need a QB for sure, but they are loaded at several spots with young and experienced guys.

In other breaking bad-pick-trade news, the Browns just cleaned out Philly's picks so the Eagles to take the other overrated QB at #2.
I'm getting the distinct impression Wentz is better than he is being given credit for by some, and see him as the better choice over Goff. Time will tell.

The Browns may have gotten an even better deal than the Titans did. They still stay in the top 10, where they're going to get an impact defensive player (probably) and they probably get a high pick next year too.

I still think Wentz is a risk in the NFL. He's got the physical tools, but I'd be concerned about whether he's quick enough between the ears to transition from D-1AA to the NFL.

As for Arizona, if Paxton Lynch falls that far, they pick up their future QB there. If not, I think they shore up the secondary a bit. They're not in bad shape, and with just a couple moves and upgrades they're in Super Bowl contention for 3-5 years.

My question mark is the Seahawks. Do they pick OL or DL? I don't think they replace Lynch in the first round this year, I just don't see an RB with first round potential that is likely to be available at #26.

I personally think that both Wentz and Goff will be mediocre QB's. I believe the Seahawks will draft both OL and DL with their first two picks and it depends upon who is left on the board at the time to which position they draft first.

Thomas Rawls is Marshawn Lynch's replacement. He should be ready for the first game. i do expect the Seahawks to draft a running back to be the third down back.

I don't know if NE is a great example because they have had the franchise QB going on 16 years. Plus, Aaron Rogers is going on 9 years. I do agree that both front offices are strong.

You could be right about Arizona. Interestingly enough, both Seattle and Arizona have strong front office's and may keep them challenging for division titles and more for a long time.

NE has been the only strong front office in the AFC east. GB has been the only strong front office in the NFC North. That has kept them both going to the playoffs every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT