ADVERTISEMENT

Our Defense in the Red Zone

ATACFD

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2015
First off, congrats to a great game for the defense. In the prediction thread I said our O would take time to get untracked but our D would have a good game, but I didn't realize it would be 3pts good!!

One thing that I've thought about in the last 5 games is how often our D has made stops in the red zone. It feels like it has been much more recently than one would expect especially in the high powered pac12 offenses.

Yet, during the CO game the TV announcers brought up a stat saying the Cougs on D were 4th worst in the country inside the 10, allowing scores 95% of the time. I question this. I tried to look it up, but I don't have these things at my finger tips like someone such as Tron (who is really good at finding the stats stuff). Even if it's true for the overall season, I wonder how they would rank for the last 5 games.

I did find on the NCAA website stats for red zone defense (inside the 20). On there the Cougs were 89th, which may not be elite but is far from 4th worst in the entire FBS. The team that was 4th worst was Arizona which gave up scores 95% (when you round) of the time. Hmm...maybe the announcers got the 2 mixed up?

Last edited:
Goal to go is a different stat than redzone and frankly, I didn't even know they tracked that particular one. Hard to say where to look. Here is the link to the NCAA stat information for this season.

NCAA Stats

I didn't see anything about "goal to go" there.

Goal to go is a different stat than redzone and frankly, I didn't even know they tracked that particular one. Hard to say where to look. Here is the link to the NCAA stat information for this season.

NCAA Stats

I didn't see anything about "goal to go" there.

Thanks. That's the exact same site that I got the redzone defense ranking from. Obviously I know goal to go is different than redzone. I just couldn't find the goal to go stats so I talked about the redzone stats instead and I think the espn guys possibly used that and confused us with Arizona which happened to be exactly 4th worst like they said we were.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT