ADVERTISEMENT

Over half of WSU baseball roster enters transfer portal...

Ironically, Coach Green has been mentioned as a candidate for the Wichita State job. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up moving on from our WSU.

Glad Cougar

Back when it was built, Eck Stadium was one of the better college baseball stadiums in the country. Wichita State had a long tradition of quality baseball including a national championship. They have the potential to be a top tier program and a fanbase that expects more than they've been given since Gene Stephenson left them. He won 1837 games at the other WSU (700 more than Bobo won at our WSU). I don't know if someone would seriously consider Wichita State over Washington State....but there are far worse jobs out there.

My only real interaction with WSU baseball was 9 years ago. A group of players rented a house one block from me and threw a huge party with over 100 guests. They failed to understand how dumb it was to have a party in a quiet neighborhood. I had a couple long conversations with the baseball coach and the AD on the Monday after the party. The neighbor next door to the house was threatening to sue the school because one of the players whipped his dick out and tried to piss on her while she was yelling at them to shut the party down. Good times. PS...both that coach and the AD have been fired in the time since then.

00007554.jpg

Eck_Stadium_outside.JPG

Back when it was built, Eck Stadium was one of the better college baseball stadiums in the country. Wichita State had a long tradition of quality baseball including a national championship. They have the potential to be a top tier program and a fanbase that expects more than they've been given since Gene Stephenson left them. He won 1837 games at the other WSU (700 more than Bobo won at our WSU). I don't know if someone would seriously consider Wichita State over Washington State....but there are far worse jobs out there.
My question was more "why would he leave" vs "why would he take the Wichita state job"

He has made improvements at WSU, but we still are a bottom feeder in the league so I am not sure why other schools would be calling him is my point.

Well, Flat, you would know better than anybody, but I can't see a coach leaving a Pac-12 program for whatever league Wichita State belongs to these days. Schulz and Chun will write the check if they want to keep Green (imo)."

Well, Flat, you would know better than anybody, but I can't see a coach leaving a Pac-12 program for whatever league Wichita State belongs to these days. Schulz and Chun will write the check if they want to keep Green (imo)."

Wichita State moved up to the AAC a few years ago. I did a quick check and their recently fired head coach was making $450k. Green is making around $315k average based on one article I saw. Would Wazzu be willing to offer him a 50% bump to stay? Hope we don't need to find out.

Surprising. I guess the CoL is a good bit higher in a Metro Area like Wichita
Choppy, do your homework for once before posting. Wichita's COL is 82. Pullman's is 97. Took me all of about 20 seconds to look this up.

Choppy, do your homework for once before posting. Wichita's COL is 82. Pullman's is 97. Took me all of about 20 seconds to look this up.

Thanks Loyal!

"learn something new every day"

Wichita State really wants to be competitive in baseball again. Cost of living in Kansas is pretty cheap. My house would cost $600k in Wenatchee, over $900k in Seattle but it goes for $325k here.
Wow!

Off-topic a bit, but any chance the Shockers revive their D1 football program?

Wow!

Off-topic a bit, but any chance the Shockers revive their D1 football program?

We will all be long dead and there will be robots playing football before the Shockers field a football team again. They are getting ready to tear down their 30,000 seat football stadium and replace it with a 10,000 seat track focused stadium. Their new president (at the time) commissioned a study in 2016 to see what it would cost to get the program going again and that idea died with the study.

What is interesting is that it was estimated that it would only cost $6 million per year to be competitive in the American Athletic Conference. Wazzu spends $80 million per year on athletics.....the Shockers spend $26 million. Oof.

What is interesting is that it was estimated that it would only cost $6 million per year to be competitive in the American Athletic Conference. Wazzu spends $80 million per year on athletics.....the Shockers spend $26 million. Oof.

You mentioned Wichita's baseball stadium and coach's salary, but what about men's basketball?

How does their arena compare to Beasley Coliseum and is their coach in the ballpark with CKS, salary-wise?

You mentioned Wichita's baseball stadium and coach's salary, but what about men's basketball?

How does their arena compare to Beasley Coliseum and is their coach in the ballpark with CKS, salary-wise?

Shocker basketball coach makes a little north of $1.75 million. WSU pays Smith about $1.4 million per year.

Koch Arena had a major renovation in 2003 (I think) and some additional work done in the past few years. It's got some nice practice facilities attached to the main arena and pretty good locker rooms. They have some pretty good hosting spaces along the perimeter of the building for schmoozing high dollar donors.

However, because some people get too caught up in history that doesn't really matter, they refused to tear it down completely and restart from scratch in 2003. It was the largest domed stadium in the world for something like 15 seconds when it was built in the 50's. Because of that, they refused to rip the dome down and kept it when they renovated it. So, while there are something like 10,000 seats with great views of the court...there are 500 seats stuck behind columns in the upper rows and the sideline seats down low pretty much suck. They didn't have any loge boxes or luxury suites in that renovation and haven't added them since. The arena is nice by the standards of its peers, but it sucks compared to the better modern arenas. Food sales areas are mediocre. Much better than Beasley (other than the crappy sideline seating) but it's nothing to get excited about. The one thing that it does have a devoted fanbase. It was difficult to get tickets when they were good and they still average over 7,000 when they are merely decent.

Reactions: PeteTheChop

Did you do your research before posting, Choppy? No. Have you ever? No.

Brand new coach Paul Mills signed a 5 year, $8.5 million contract. I'm not going to look up Kyle Smith's numbers. Do it yourself. Here's the BB arena info.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Shocker basketball coach makes a little north of $1.75 million. WSU pays Smith about $1.4 million per year.

Koch Arena had a major renovation in 2003 (I think) and some additional work done in the past few years. It's got some nice practice facilities attached to the main arena and pretty good locker rooms. They have some pretty good hosting spaces along the perimeter of the building for schmoozing high dollar donors.

However, because some people get too caught up in history that doesn't really matter, they refused to tear it down completely and restart from scratch in 2003. It was the largest domed stadium in the world for something like 15 seconds when it was built in the 50's. Because of that, they refused to rip the dome down and kept it when they renovated it. So, while there are something like 10,000 seats with great views of the court...there are 500 seats stuck behind columns in the upper rows and the sideline seats down low pretty much suck. They didn't have any loge boxes or luxury suites in that renovation and haven't added them since. The arena is nice by the standards of its peers, but it sucks compared to the better modern arenas. Food sales areas are mediocre. Much better than Beasley (other than the crappy sideline seating) but it's nothing to get excited about. The one thing that it does have a devoted fanbase. It was difficult to get tickets when they were good and they still average over 7,000 when they are merely decent.
Did I read correctly that they've had over 10K for Women's BB games a couple of times? Good lord - I think we have had women's BB seasons where we didn't draw 10K for the whole season.

Fun side note: I think this was in the Murrell days. They were selling women's tickets, 20 for $20. So I got a few of my friends at the time, brought my then motor home, and we had a little pregame tailgate party then hit the game. Sat damn near front row in a mostly empty Beasley. But is was fun.

Did you do your research before posting, Choppy? No. Have you ever? No.

Brand new coach Paul Mills signed a 5 year, $8.5 million contract. I'm not going to look up Kyle Smith's numbers. Do it yourself. Here's the BB arena info.

Thanks for the help Loyal!

Did I read correctly that they've had over 10K for Women's BB games a couple of times? Good lord - I think we have had women's BB seasons where we didn't draw 10K for the whole season
Amazing turnaround!

Shows what happens when the AD nails a coaching hire and the administration provides the necessary support.

Amazing turnaround!

Shows what happens when the AD nails a coaching hire and the administration provides the necessary support.
Or when you are in BFE Kansas and have nothing better to do.

"Pullman isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from here". George Raveling....

My question was more "why would he leave" vs "why would he take the Wichita state job"

He has made improvements at WSU, but we still are a bottom feeder in the league so I am not sure why other schools would be calling him is my point.
Flat did a good job of providing some reasons for Green to move to the other WSU. FWIW, this comes from Baseball America's article, "50 Names to Watch on the 2023 College Baseball Coaching Market." Green is on that list:

Brian Green, head coach, Washington State: Green hasn’t taken the Cougars to the NCAA Tournament in his four seasons at Washington State, but he has led the Cougars to a winning record in three straight seasons, which hadn’t happened in Pullman since 2006-10. He’s also had success at New Mexico State, where he coached Nick Gonzales and led the Aggies to an NCAA Tournament appearance. Washington State is a tough job and there is interest in Green on the market. This might be his time to make a move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT