ADVERTISEMENT

P12 officially adds Los Angeles Bowl to new 2020-25 lineup

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Right now, the 4 Pac-12 affiliated bowl games we know about are the Rose, Alamo, Las Vegas and LA. Rest of lineup will be announced soon. Next bowl cycle extends from 2020-25.

Link: https://pac-12.com/article/2019/07/...os-angeles-bowl-new-la-stadium-lineup-2020-25

pac-12_-_los_angeles_bowl_2_0.jpg

This should be a good venue. Easy location to get to, high end stadium, a lot of good seating, good weather, lots of family activities.

Hopefully we can upgrade the Mountain West Conference tie in, or at least lock in the MWC champion as the opponent.

This should be a good venue. Easy location to get to, high end stadium, a lot of good seating, good weather, lots of family activities.

Hopefully we can upgrade the Mountain West Conference tie in, or at least lock in the MWC champion as the opponent.

They need a SEC team in the bowl season. They need as many Power 5 teams as possible. MWC champion wouldn't be bad but I dunno that it gets as many TV eyes or even fans as a SEC team would.

With LA, Vegas, San Diego and Phoenix all having nice weather and easy to get to airports the PAC 12 should have no problem getting other Power 5 teams on board for games.

They need a SEC team in the bowl season. They need as many Power 5 teams as possible. MWC champion wouldn't be bad but I dunno that it gets as many TV eyes or even fans as a SEC team would.

With LA, Vegas, San Diego and Phoenix all having nice weather and easy to get to airports the PAC 12 should have no problem getting other Power 5 teams on board for games.

I agree. The P5 conferences need to smarten up and figure out a bowl tie-in rotation to mix things up and keep things fresh. It wouldn’t be logical to have ACC or SEC teams lock into flying West every year or vice versa, but there’s no reason why it can’t happen occasionally.

But do you want to take the 5-year-old twins into L.A.? Scary.

There will be a new Big 10 / SEC bowl tie-in with the bowl game in Vegas. Not as good as getting an SEC team out to the west coast every year, but better than what we have now.

I agree. The P5 conferences need to smarten up and figure out a bowl tie-in rotation to mix things up and keep things fresh. It wouldn’t be logical to have ACC or SEC teams lock into flying West every year or vice versa, but there’s no reason why it can’t happen occasionally.

Why isn't it logical? They're not hard flights. It isn't expensive to fly to Vegas. It isn't uncommon to get short notice flights into LA or Phoenix. If there were beef with the locations and distances it would probably be from PAC 12 fans as their cities are further from the South than the South is from the SW and SoCal.

An agreement between the SEC and PAC 12 where one of theirs comes West and one of ours goes East is fair. Same for ACC schools. It's exposure for both conferences.

Why isn't it logical? They're not hard flights. It isn't expensive to fly to Vegas. It isn't uncommon to get short notice flights into LA or Phoenix. If there were beef with the locations and distances it would probably be from PAC 12 fans as their cities are further from the South than the South is from the SW and SoCal.

An agreement between the SEC and PAC 12 where one of theirs comes West and one of ours goes East is fair. Same for ACC schools. It's exposure for both conferences.

Vegas, I agree. That has yearly appeal for all fan bases. LA? No. Especially if it’s a middle of the road game. Programs and fans in the SE and Mid Atlantic would much prefer to play bowl games in Atlanta, Florida, or Texas.

What’s their motivation for fly to LA to play a P12 team? There is none. We want them more than they want us. The Vegas game, as many of us have said for years, is the ticket to attracting all fan bases out West, especially after the NFL stadium is constructed.

It’s not about what’s logical. It’s about the simple fact that the SEC refuses to travel. They even want their bowl games close to home.

Reactions: kayak15
Vegas, I agree. That has yearly appeal for all fan bases. LA? No. Especially if it’s a middle of the road game. Programs and fans in the SE and Mid Atlantic would much prefer to play bowl games in Atlanta, Florida, or Texas.

What’s their motivation for fly to LA to play a P12 team? There is none. We want them more than they want us. The Vegas game, as many of us have said for years, is the ticket to attracting all fan bases out West, especially after the NFL stadium is constructed.

The SEC takes advantage of their advantage. They bully the rest of the leagues the same way, let's say Texas does the Big 12.

You have to leverage them. It starts by having great programs in the PAC 12 and beating their representative in the playoffs. It continues by dogging them out like Clubber Lang did Rocky Balboa. For too long the SEC has gotten by on the reputation of one or two teams. They have played soft schedules, never left the south, had a tv network balloon their success as a conference and now they're able to leverage it. Clemson beating the tar out of Alabama was a step in the right direction.

I thought I saw recent comments by a league commissioner about their lack of league games. I would love to see the SEC get pushed into playing 9 league games...

The SEC takes advantage of their advantage. They bully the rest of the leagues the same way, let's say Texas does the Big 12.

You have to leverage them. It starts by having great programs in the PAC 12 and beating their representative in the playoffs. It continues by dogging them out like Clubber Lang did Rocky Balboa. For too long the SEC has gotten by on the reputation of one or two teams. They have played soft schedules, never left the south, had a tv network balloon their success as a conference and now they're able to leverage it. Clemson beating the tar out of Alabama was a step in the right direction.

I thought I saw recent comments by a league commissioner about their lack of league games. I would love to see the SEC get pushed into playing 9 league games...

I don't disagree with you, but who's going to bully them? The P12? We have zero leverage. The P12 is far and way the worst of the P5 conferences right now, and I'm not just talking about play on the field. TV viewership, fan interest, alumni give a $hit factor....

Somebody needs to leverage the SEC, but it's not going to be the P12.

The LA stadium is unlikely to be complete for the 2020 game. The construction schedule is behind, and we have long since tapped out field labor in LA; every major contractor is turning away work because the amount of work available exceeds the labor force to build it. Looks a lot like 2006/7. In short, it is hard to see how the stadium project will be able to catch up, regardless of how they rant and rave. Maybe they could hold the game anyway with portions not finished; but I just can't see how the stadium will be fully complete for its first contracted season.

And yes, I've bought my Chargers seat licenses. Same deadline, same expectations. The joys of pro football!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT