ADVERTISEMENT

PAC-12 Championship

They are not Ohio State, I agree. They will be ok. The level of athletes they are going to be recruiting compared to us will grow immensely. Even in the NIL era WSU could still offer the opportunity to play in one of the top leagues in the country. That's gone now. I dont see how we compete at all. Which is fine. I just hate hearing about. I think I will like where we end up, MWish. Aside from players getting poached it will be a bit more like college football rather than minor league professional football.

Reactions: Fab5Coug

This is a ripple effect of the Pac-12 demise. Changing economic conditions (higher cost of capital, inflation on materials/labor) coupled with potentially losing significant numbers of visitors on game weekends...not good.

Risk is inherent in every business venture. Piling on uncertainty makes projects like this even more risky.

This is a ripple effect of the Pac-12 demise. Changing economic conditions (higher cost of capital, inflation on materials/labor) coupled with potentially losing significant numbers of visitors on game weekends...not good.

Risk is inherent in every business venture. Piling on uncertainty makes projects like this even more risky.
This isn’t a project that flopped because of the PAC-12. It flopped because it’s only $8 million for an ambitious scope and a tight timeline. Companies can make more money on lower risk jobs, so why bother?

This isn’t a project that flopped because of the PAC-12. It flopped because it’s only $8 million for an ambitious scope and a tight timeline. Companies can make more money on lower risk jobs, so why bother?
I'm saying adding another risk variable that didn't exist as a Pac-12 member doesn't help.

This is a ripple effect of the Pac-12 demise.
Disagree.

I had to check the date of the article to ensure it wasn’t written in 1984. Seems nothing has changed in Pullman.

Disagree.

I had to check the date of the article to ensure it wasn’t written in 1984. Seems nothing has changed in Pullman.
Found a discussion of the project in the Pullman paper:

“The project encompasses all of Main Street, from Grand Avenue to Spring Street. Plans include upgrading the century-old sewer and water system, along with updating utilities and the downtown layout.
Residents should expect more ADA-approved parking spaces, shortened crosswalks to improve pedestrian safety, an improved Pine Street Plaza, new trees and smooth sidewalks.
There will also be newly paved streets, a bike lane separate from automobile traffic and infrastructure to assist the city’s growth,
Welch Comer finished the project’s design earlier this year and estimates it will cost around $7.8 million. More details about the project, including timelines and costs, will be released when the city council either accepts a bid or finds an alternative to rebuild downtown.”

This is an awful lot of work to fit into $8 million, and to fit into no more than 9 months. With 100 year old utilities, it’s guaranteed that there are going to be things that aren’t as expected, and they’ll have to go through a change and redesign to get around them. Thats on top of the normal things that don’t go right with construction. Also sounds like the funding doesn’t have a lot of cushion, so there’s no room to accommodate the changes that everyone should know are likely.

Sounds to me like a project with an unrealistic scope, scale, and timeline, requiring several subcontractors to work in a tight window during peak construction season, and for low margin with no room for changes. Best way for a responsible contractor to approach it is to decline to participate.

The B1G is an embarrassing conference. UW & UO will compete with OSU/Michigan on Day 1.

IMO if you ranked the last 10 years you'd have OSU on top, then OU/UW, then Michigan or Penn State/Wisconsin.

Imagine having Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Rutgers and Nebraska on your schedule every year, not to mention your 3 OOC games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT