ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 Network/ESPN

Brent H.

Hall Of Fame
Aug 13, 2001
With all the layoffs that ESPN just had this week, by not being tied to an network could the Pac-12 avoided a bad situation with ESPN? It sounds like ESPN is spreading themselves way too thing and they are only going to continue to lose money with the cord cutters. I think what the Pac-12 Network needs to do is start offering streaming service on their own, they own the network, do what HBO does and charge a monthly service of $5.99 where people can stream the games instead including it with cable packages. I think, even with the feature of cable where everybody is going away from cable packages to doing their own things such as HULU, Netflix, and other things. I think the Pac-12 Network can capitalize on this and reduce their losses.

I'd agree that the Pac-12 Network may eventually prove to be in a better position than people thought a few months ago. ESPN is probably going to be less generous when the next contract is signed for TV rights with conferences. In the short term though, we are still getting our asses kicked in terms of TV money and that isn't likely to change.

With all the layoffs that ESPN just had this week, by not being tied to an network could the Pac-12 avoided a bad situation with ESPN? It sounds like ESPN is spreading themselves way too thing and they are only going to continue to lose money with the cord cutters. I think what the Pac-12 Network needs to do is start offering streaming service on their own, they own the network, do what HBO does and charge a monthly service of $5.99 where people can stream the games instead including it with cable packages. I think, even with the feature of cable where everybody is going away from cable packages to doing their own things such as HULU, Netflix, and other things. I think the Pac-12 Network can capitalize on this and reduce their losses.

This has been what their model should have been since the beginning, but they whored themselves out for the comcast deal and the quick money. The long term $$ was always on ala carte streaming service - hopefully they pull their heads out and realize it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT