ADVERTISEMENT

Per Spokesman Review, EWU QB. . .

If Gubrud comes, who will ElC be rooting for at the QB position. It's a veritable quandry!

While I was originally against the idea, the point was made that we are essentially down one QB on the roster and GM and possibly Gubrud are simply filling that slot- ie tinsley and Gordon wouldn't have been starting anyway.

That being said, it feels a little Oregon-esque grasping for the next greatest thing available. I don't care for the precident that's being set.

It's always the backup. The starter has to win the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year award to quiet him.

Gubrud is a good QB. The reason why we want him is because he is talented and experienced. We saw him twice. Leach called him the most talented player on the field 3 years ago. With his running ability and accuracy he will be an upgrade over Tinsley and Gordon.
he called Cooper Kupp the 'most talented player on the field'.

Reactions: Cougzz
I'm pretty torn on this. Probably lean against it but won't gripe if he ends up in Crimson and Grey.

The case for him has been well stated. Lots of experience, mobility, and moxie. Keeping him away from Utah.

The downside has been stated as well.

One thing I'm surprised no one mentioned is the run Eastern went on this year after Gage got hurt. Easterns offense didn't skip a beat and it should give everyone some pause. Either the competition was simply poor, inflating Gubrud's numbers, or Eastern is a Clemson/BAMA juggernaut at the FCS level and Gubrud is simply a cog in the machine. Also possible is Eastern simply has a knack for uncovering superstar quarterbacks.

One thing is true: I'm far less enamored with Gubrud than I was with Vernon Adams. I thought Adams might be an NFL talent. Fairly certain Gubrud isn't.

I do know we don't get Gubrud until the fall if he comes here, and it doesn't exactly set you up for success to have such a short turn around time. Though it's a short drive from Cheney to Pullman for skelly sessions and rents are cheap in Pullman before he gets on scholarship. He will be able to move down once he graduates.
I don't know about EWU's season, but I watched most of the title game against NDSU and EWU's QB is a bad passer. Gubrud looked better at passing. My questions are: 1) can he master the Air Raid by Game 1? and 2) can he win over his teammates as GM did?
If yes, then let him come in.

I agree 100%. If Neville and Bledsoe stay at WSU, it's only because they want to graduate from the school (and I'm fine with that). It's beyond obvious that they are not destined to see the field in a game outside of insane circumstances. I was merely covering all the bases with my statement.

Bledsoe was a walk on, so that shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Neville was somehow a 4 star QB. I don't understand how that happened at all.

Bledsoe was a walk on, so that shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Neville was somehow a 4 star QB. I don't understand how that happened at all.
Because huge value is placed on size and arm strength for have QBs. Neville has those.

Being able to read defenses and know the entire passing tree is what keeps most of these kids off the field. There's a huge difference between what Leach asks kids to do and being a hs QB with a 6'2" speed WR that you can wing 40+yd jump balls to.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
Gage is a stud. Competition is good. Alabama and Clemson fans aren't worried about having too many good players. With the right QB I don't see why we can't win 9 or 10 next year. There is a lot of unknowns at the QB position, but we have a crap ton of talent on offense. The QB could be somebody we have on the roster or Gage. The Air Raid isn't complicated. It's like 5 plays, it's just getting to know the reads is what is tough. But a lot of offenses are based off Air Raid concepts. Dude was a Finalist for the Walter Payton Award two straight years. Why wouldn't you want that type of player on your roster?

If "competition is good", why is this the first time that fans have been pushing for it? I don't recall fans calling for transfer QB's prior to this year. Shouldn't Leach have brought in a transfer QB after the 2014 season when Falk was heading into his sophomore year?

Well our presumptive starter for 18 and 19 is no longer with us.

I think etown summarized things well.

And I agree with Biggs regarding the potential precedent.

Utah with a mobile QB who is an at least adequate passer is a scary thought.

However, an "adequate" passer simply doesn't fit Leach's offense, even with the ,mobility benefits. Utah can utilize a running QB who can hit 50% of his passes against a PAC defense. WSU cannot use a 50% pass completion guy. The question is whether Gubrud can hit a minimum of 56-57% of his passes in a weekly P5 environment. The answer, frankly, is that we don't know. Nobody knows. If Gubrud thinks he can do at least 56-57% then he could probably win the job if he has the sort of personality that the team would follow. If he thinks he can do that he will probably pick WSU. If he has doubts he should probably pick Utah, because they would happily take a functional, experienced, mobile QB who could complete half of his passes.

I think etown summarized things well.

And I agree with Biggs regarding the potential precedent.

Utah with a mobile QB who is an at least adequate passer is a scary thought.

However, an "adequate" passer simply doesn't fit Leach's offense, even with the ,mobility benefits. Utah can utilize a running QB who can hit 50% of his passes against a PAC defense. WSU cannot use a 50% pass completion guy. The question is whether Gubrud can hit a minimum of 56-57% of his passes in a weekly P5 environment. The answer, frankly, is that we don't know. Nobody knows. If Gubrud thinks he can do at least 56-57% then he could probably win the job if he has the sort of personality that the team would follow. If he thinks he can do that he will probably pick WSU. If he has doubts he should probably pick Utah, because they would happily take a functional, experienced, mobile QB who could complete half of his passes.

If you've been paying attention, Leach isn't happy with his QB unless his completion percentage is closer to 70%. Anything under 65% and a QB should be looking over the shoulder constantly.

Flat, Leach is not happy with anything less than 100%....;)

Historically 60% was the golden cutoff number. He may be willing to give up a few points for the right kind of mobile kid...or not...it is up to him. But regardless of the exact figure, no one knows what Gubrud could do in a quicker (both offense and defense) environment. He would occasionally get "happy feet", and against other FCS schools was able to make that work. It remains to be seen how that would play out in the PAC. I think he fits what Utah normally does better than he fits the Air Raid, though either one would have to tweak their previous offense to optimize his strengths within their system.

Flat, Leach is not happy with anything less than 100%....;)

Historically 60% was the golden cutoff number. He may be willing to give up a few points for the right kind of mobile kid...or not...it is up to him. But regardless of the exact figure, no one knows what Gubrud could do in a quicker (both offense and defense) environment. He would occasionally get "happy feet", and against other FCS schools was able to make that work. It remains to be seen how that would play out in the PAC. I think he fits what Utah normally does better than he fits the Air Raid, though either one would have to tweak their previous offense to optimize his strengths within their system.

He went for 475 and 5 TDs in a victory against WSU. He didnt play an entire schedule agaist P5 teams, but then how many guys on the roster now have???

Reactions: Coug1990 and CougEd
He went for 475 and 5 TDs in a victory against WSU. He didnt play an entire schedule agaist P5 teams, but then how many guys on the roster now have???
He also had an NFL wideout that he played fly-up with. Sound like anyone you may recognize up in Seattle, who also had two NFL WRs and was an allstar, until he didn't and he wasn't?

Reactions: etowncoug
He also had an NFL wideout that he played fly-up with. Sound like anyone you may recognize up in Seattle, who also had two NFL WRs and was an allstar, until he didn't and he wasn't?

Ok. Take away the 200 yards from that kid. He threw for 275. Feel better?

Biggs, etc., I get your point. He has had some good games against good competition, especially when he had two elite receivers to throw to. And he looks good as he moves around on the field. His experience is certainly worth something. He might be as good as many believe. If he is, then if he comes to WSU he will probably beat out the others and start for a year. But until he lands at either WSU or Utah, no one will know just how good he is. Maybe he is another Brett Favre. Maybe not. A good chunk of a season with P5 opponents every week will show, one way or the other.

Biggs, etc., I get your point. He has had some good games against good competition, especially when he had two elite receivers to throw to. And he looks good as he moves around on the field. His experience is certainly worth something. He might be as good as many believe. If he is, then if he comes to WSU he will probably beat out the others and start for a year. But until he lands at either WSU or Utah, no one will know just how good he is. Maybe he is another Brett Favre. Maybe not. A good chunk of a season with P5 opponents every week will show, one way or the other.

If he's not as good, then clearly our plentiful supply of well-trained backups will seize the opportunity.

He's plenty good. Whether he's plenty good for the Air Raid, not sure - but his legs are better than any QB on the roster right now. Definitely a better runner than Minshew - but it will depend on how he picks up the reads/progression in a new offense.

Reactions: BiggsCoug

I dont believe it is fair to tear a kid down because he had talent to work with.

Joe Montana had talent around him. Does he get knocked down too?

Reactions: longtimecoug
If he's not as good, then clearly our plentiful supply of well-trained backups will seize the opportunity.

He's plenty good. Whether he's plenty good for the Air Raid, not sure - but his legs are better than any QB on the roster right now. Definitely a better runner than Minshew - but it will depend on how he picks up the reads/progression in a new offense.

One of the main reasons that I was excited about Cooper during his recruitment is that he was pretty mobile, although he has may have watched a little too much Johnny Manziel for his own safety. I don't know that we've seen enough of Cooper in action to know how his mobility compares to Gubrud. I do find it interesting that Cooper ended up being the #10 QB recruit in the country last year and our fans have forgotten him and seem to be writing him off.

Cruz looks like a solid QB and Gubrud certainly may come to WSU and make some noise, but I'm curious to know why so many people have basically given up on Cooper. Cooper had 18 offers including Georgia, Ole Miss and Tennessee. 12 of those offers were Power 5 programs. Cruz is the #26 QB in this class and has 15 offers but only 3 of them are from Power 5 schools. He does have offers from most of the Ivy League, which is impressive in itself because the kid is obviously smart. Cooper was given a Rivals Rating of 5.8, where Cruz was given a rating of 5.5. Both QB's are 6'4". Again, from both a recruiting ranking and actual offer spot, Cooper looks to be the better prospect until proven otherwise. Still not sure why our fans are so dead set on kicking the kid to the curb.

One of the main reasons that I was excited about Cooper during his recruitment is that he was pretty mobile, although he has may have watched a little too much Johnny Manziel for his own safety. I don't know that we've seen enough of Cooper in action to know how his mobility compares to Gubrud. I do find it interesting that Cooper ended up being the #10 QB recruit in the country last year and our fans have forgotten him and seem to be writing him off.

Cruz looks like a solid QB and Gubrud certainly may come to WSU and make some noise, but I'm curious to know why so many people have basically given up on Cooper. Cooper had 18 offers including Georgia, Ole Miss and Tennessee. 12 of those offers were Power 5 programs. Cruz is the #26 QB in this class and has 15 offers but only 3 of them are from Power 5 schools. He does have offers from most of the Ivy League, which is impressive in itself because the kid is obviously smart. Cooper was given a Rivals Rating of 5.8, where Cruz was given a rating of 5.5. Both QB's are 6'4". Again, from both a recruiting ranking and actual offer spot, Cooper looks to be the better prospect until proven otherwise. Still not sure why our fans are so dead set on kicking the kid to the curb.

I recall that Cooper was one one of the sprint relay teams at his high school.

Gubrud at Eastern was much better than Minshew at EC. I think Gubrud could be really good in the air raid. He has good accuracy and anticipation.

I dont believe it is fair to tear a kid down because he had talent to work with.

Joe Montana had talent around him. Does he get knocked down too?

Biggs, I agree and I am clearly not tearing anyone down. I am stating the obvious, which is that until he is in a PAC environment, there are no certainties. If CML and Whittingham have offered him, then clearly they think his chances are good, and they are really the ultimate judges. And of course, both have a pretty good track record when it comes to evaluating talent. I think my biggest issue is with those who assume that if he transfers to either school he will be an automatic lock to start. The odds would be in his favor, if for no other reason due to his game experience. But there have been many high profile transfers in the history of NCAA football that did not work out as the oddsmakers would have suggested....

Ultimately I suspect that his decision will come down to two things. If one HC makes him an ironclad starting guarantee, he will probably go there. I don't see CML doing that, but it is possible that Whittingham might. The other factor will probably be which sort of system the young man prefers. We run a much different offense from Utah. If Gubrud has a big preference one way or the other and all other things are equal, he would probably go with the offense that he prefers.

Flat, there might probably be a couple, few, some, who are doing as you are thinking they are doing.

1. Cooper was, is, probably every bit as good as you, the facts, info, recruit rankings, offers, etc, say.

The thing is tho, that in thursday night football, in spring ball, and in Fall Camp, Leach, the coaches, leaked out that Cooper was not ready yet, not as good as Minshew, Tinsley, Gordon.

And based on everything, it looks like so far, unless Cooper tears it up in spring ball, fall camp, Thursday Night Football, etc, that he Cooper will, would probably not start next season, and probably be 3rd on the depth chart behind either Tinsley, Gordon at #2, if Gubrud comes, #1, an #2, if doesnt come.

So because of that folks have pretty much written Cooper off for next season until the year after next season that he Cooper probably start if he is not beat out by Cruz.

As to Cruz, while he may not have had the offers, the recruit ranking, Cruz seems to have just as good tools as Cooper, and maybe even 1 tool better. Cruz has better looking film then Cooper. And Cruz has won a lot of awards, done well in QB camps, 7 on 7's, evaluations, competitions, etc, to the point that many were shocked when he Cruz was not upgraded to a 4th star, and only had 1 recruit service outside of ESPN, Brand X, Rivals, 247, that may have been like Bleacher Report that gave him Cruz a 4th star. Cruz is looking good in his spring practices. And he Cruz might or might not, may or may not do good in spring ball, fall camp, and Thursday night football. We will see what happens. But as good as Cruz is or may be, he is still at least technically only ahead of Neville, Bledsoe, in 4th place at best, 5th place at worst depending on if Gubrud comes or not.

Cruz is just like when somebody gets a shiny new toy. Almost everybody likes the Shiny. Does that mean that the Shiny, or Cruz better right now? No.

Leach has PROBABLY EITHER said OR thinks that Gubrud will PROBABLY(Doesnt mean he will be(probably about 85% chance he will be starter) be the starter if he Gubrud comes.

And if doesnt come, Tinsley probably be starter(probably about 73% chance)

And if not Tinsley, then Gordon(Probably about 35 to 43% chance to start)

And if not that, then Cooper(Probably about 18% chance to start)

And if not that, then Cruz(probably about a 4 to 7% chance to start.

Bledsoe: 1/2 of 1% chance to start.

Neville wont stsrt. 0% chance, will transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT