ADVERTISEMENT

Perhaps one of the greatest Rose Bowls ever...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
The Pac-12's best team beat the best team in the Big 10/14. What a pleasure it was watching this game. SCGlory must be catatonic!

The Pac 12's third place team beat the Big Ten Champ.

No, the Pac-12's best team beat Penn State. Consider the UW's patsy nonconference schedule, its fluke wins over Arizona and Utah, and the ass-kicking it got from USC in Seattle.

No, the Pac-12's best team beat Penn State. Consider the UW's patsy nonconference schedule, its fluke wins over Arizona and Utah, and the ass-kicking it got from USC in Seattle.
We played the same number of Bowl winning teams OOC as USC.

This was definitely an exciting Rose Bowl, but not a great Rose Bowl. Great Rose Bowls feature some semblance of defense and are not a track meet.

Agreed. No question who the best team in the PAC 12 is. Penn State was damn good too and can play with anyone. Helluva game.

Agreed. No question who the best team in the PAC 12 is. Penn State was damn good too and can play with anyone. Helluva game.
Objective measures like wins and losses are so old fashioned.

Agreed, this went down as one of the greatest Rose Bowls in modern day.

As we discovered, Keith Jackson has been low key (staying at home) for several years now.
In my mind.....ESPN brought him in as a "last goodbye tribute", kind of thing, knowing his health is at risk. Wouldn't you agree? That's probably the last time (on earth) we'll see Keith again.....

Reactions: SCglory
The Pac-12's best team beat the best team in the Big 10/14. What a pleasure it was watching this game. SCGlory must be catatonic!

It was an exciting game and the best description that I saw for the game was that it would be in the team photo of greatest Rose Bowls. The 2006 Rose Bowl between Texas and USC for the national title (that also came down to the final drive) was the best ever. This year's game featured a lot of swings and exciting plays and will be remembered as a great game. For those bitching about a track meet.....I'd rather see that than the turd of a game that we were subjected to last Tuesday.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
It was an exciting game and the best description that I saw for the game was that it would be in the team photo of greatest Rose Bowls. The 2006 Rose Bowl between Texas and USC for the national title (that also came down to the final drive) was the best ever. This year's game featured a lot of swings and exciting plays and will be remembered as a great game. For those bitching about a track meet.....I'd rather see that than the turd of a game that we were subjected to last Tuesday.
Darnold's performance ranks equal to Vince Young's in terms of clutch, A-level performance, when the game was on the line. He was 10 of 10 down the stretch. Considering he is only a RS freshman, his is clearly the highest potential ceiling of any QB this year.....He's a pretty level-headed dude.

Darnold's performance ranks equal to Vince Young's in terms of clutch, A-level performance, when the game was on the line. He was 10 of 10 down the stretch. Considering he is only a RS freshman, his is clearly the highest potential ceiling of any QB this year.....He's a pretty level-headed dude.

Not really. But that won't convince you.

Agreed, this went down as one of the greatest Rose Bowls in modern day.

As we discovered, Keith Jackson has been low key (staying at home) for several years now.
In my mind.....ESPN brought him in as a "last goodbye tribute", kind of thing, knowing his health is at risk. Wouldn't you agree? That's probably the last time (on earth) we'll see Keith again.....
I was surprised when he came on, he was a little vague, but still Keith Jackson

I didn't make any comparison between Darnold and Vince. The 2006 game ranks higher because it was for the national championship as well as a Rose Bowl trophy. Frankly, last night featured lots of bad tackling and incompetence as much as greatness. It was a memorable game to watch, but a slippery field and arm tackles were as big as factors as plays by any star players.

As far as Darnold vs Vince.......that's a tough call. Darnold is obviously a very good passer with tremendous pocket awareness. He reminds me a lot of Ben Roethlisberger (minus the rapiness) in his ability to extend plays by moving around. Vince Young was a force of nature on the football field, particularly that night. He hoisted Texas onto his shoulders and carried them to the promised land. As you said, Darnold is only a redshirt freshman, so his play was amazing, but I'd take Vince on that night in January 2006 over Darnold.

LOL, equal to Vince Young's performance? Ummm, no.

UW would have put up a lot of points against Penn State and probably would have beaten them in the Rose Bowl as well.

I think USC was better than UW at the end of the season, but who knows how a rematch would have gone. Either way, the one thing that was painfully obvious to me is that the Pac12 was the worst Power5 conference this season, top to bottom.

UW would have put up a lot of points against Penn State and probably would have beaten them in the Rose Bowl as well.

I think USC was better than UW at the end of the season, but who knows how a rematch would have gone. Either way, the one thing that was painfully obvious to me is that the Pac12 was the worst Power5 conference this season, top to bottom.

B1G?

LOL, equal to Vince Young's performance? Ummm, no.
Actually, it is likely better than Young's, as Young's great performance was about 95% about his running ability and 5% about his passing....He was a great running back who did the Wildcat before its time.

Nope. It all came down to QB play in crunch time. Browning had his chance in Seattle, in crunch time, against the Trojans. He failed. Darnold went 10 for 10 down the stretch and his tying TD throw was between TWO safeties--a thing of beauty. Browning is not at that level.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I didn't make any comparison between Darnold and Vince. The 2006 game ranks higher because it was for the national championship as well as a Rose Bowl trophy. Frankly, last night featured lots of bad tackling and incompetence as much as greatness. It was a memorable game to watch, but a slippery field and arm tackles were as big as factors as plays by any star players.

As far as Darnold vs Vince.......that's a tough call. Darnold is obviously a very good passer with tremendous pocket awareness. He reminds me a lot of Ben Roethlisberger (minus the rapiness) in his ability to extend plays by moving around. Vince Young was a force of nature on the football field, particularly that night. He hoisted Texas onto his shoulders and carried them to the promised land. As you said, Darnold is only a redshirt freshman, so his play was amazing, but I'd take Vince on that night in January 2006 over Darnold.
You wanna talk "bad tackling?" Carroll's 2005 defense was, at the end, held together with bailing wire and duct tape. The Ting brothers were starting, for cripe's sake! Fresno State scored 45 points on SC that year! Watch the game winning run by Young in that 2006 RB and watch the left DE for SC. Ridiculous angle. Again, Penn State could not have played that game-tying pass by Darnold any better....but the ball was simply perfect. Young could have tried that throw 10,000 times, and he would still never have gotten it.....

Not saying that Darnold's performance wasn't good, but Vince Young's was done on a significantly bigger stage. Like you said, you don't typically beat USC in the Rose Bowl.

Young beat a legendary SC team with everything on the line. Darnold beat a good, but not elite Penn State team, with frankly, an average defense. We also can't lose sight of the fact that it was essentially a home game for Darnold.

Vince Young's performance is one for the ages, remembered by everyone. Darnold's performance was great, but the Rose Bowl was a step down game this season.

Actually, it is likely better than Young's, as Young's great performance was about 95% about his running ability and 5% about his passing....He was a great running back who did the Wildcat before its time.

Doubling down!

You wanna talk "bad tackling?" Carroll's 2005 defense was, at the end, held together with bailing wire and duct tape. The Ting brothers were starting, for cripe's sake! Fresno State scored 45 points on SC that year! Watch the game winning run by Young in that 2006 RB and watch the left DE for SC. Ridiculous angle. Again, Penn State could not have played that game-tying pass by Darnold any better....but the ball was simply perfect. Young could have tried that throw 10,000 times, and he would still never have gotten it.....

You probably loved that defense back in 2005. I looked it up and USC had the third best defense in the conference in 2005 giving up 361 ypg. Pretty darned good for bailing wire. As far as you bagging on Vince Young's passing, he had a better QBR in the Rose Bowl in 2006 than Darnold did last night (89.2 vs 80.1). I know that your love for Darnold is unmatched (and unrequited) but you embarrass yourself when you cover your eyes and ears and yell, "Blah, Blah, Blah" when people try to talk sense to you. Be better than you are right now.

This game had just about everything. Most pts scored in any Rose Bowl.
Swings in the scoreboard. Real drama as there were key injuries by both sides and back ups had to fill in with a lot on the line. One minute left and the team with the ball going for it only to have it turned over. Last second field goal to win it all. No loser in this game IMO.
Games like this make college football better than the NFL to watch.

Reactions: cougarmike
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT