ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs , four teams

They don’t, they can’t. There’s zero justification. It’s absolute horse shit.

They also played and spanked a really good LSU team to start the year so it’s not like they ducked a tough OOC schedule.

It's not FSU's fault that the ACC was trash this year. Between that opening weekend win against LSU and a win over Louisville, their schedule was no better than any schedule Boise State played against. And Louisville had just lost to a lower tier Kentucky team that had gone 1-5. It sucks to be FSU but they weren't leaving out the SEC champ for a team that everyone knows would get wrecked in the playoff.

The only thing that this whole thing shows is that they should have went to a bigger playoff sooner.

What I find interesting, everyone thinks this will be fixed when the playoff moves to 12 teams. Heck even March Madness has trouble with 48 + 4. Below are the top 13 teams at the end of the year as or yesterday. You'll notice 12 of the 13 will be in the BIG 10, or SEC next year, only team not in those conferences is FSU. Do you really think they are going to make room for G-5 Schools, or the ACC or Big 12? I am sure those 2 conferences will claim they are entitled to all 12 spots, they'll settle for 10, and there will be 2 spots left for the ACC, Big 12, and G-5, needless to say one group is left out.

The gap between about 15-20 big money schools and the rest will get worse. Look at Cam Ward, they say he has offers from around 10 schools of 1 million, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go for 2 million plus, many of these schools have the money, WSU had to pull nickels out of a piggybank to come up with 100K.

The Cougs are not getting back into a "power 5 conference" and won't be part of the BIG or SEC, or those 32-40 teams the networks pick, they just don't have the money to compete. And it is sad it has come to this, but we have to move on, and I am OK with that, they just have to strive to be the best of the rest. WSU has always had to play "Billy Ball", so moving forward, work on the high school recruits, and work the portal for stars sitting on the bench. As the top schools will spend more time in the portal picking off top talent, now that these kids realize how much they can make, more top players will be free agents. Players have two shots, build a resume, transfer once, then the grad transfer for the big payday. This can actually work to the Cougs advantage is played right, develop the players to help them to the big payday. Don't look at the 85 scholarships other schools have, with all this money and transfer portal, there are only 22 starters, so there are a lot of solid players sitting on the bench in the big programs, just have a find a way to lure them away. So unfortunately, NIL money is still an issue, you just have to manage that money and look ahead. Top of the line grad transfers are out of our budget, but that kid with 2-3 yeas left is who they need, and will possibly lose them their grad transfer year. You have to look at the portal similar to the JC programs, you get two years out of them at best. If they are stars, they are probably gone the 3rd year. Unless they are like Jackson and Stone.

This is one thing Dickert is doing right, he is helping Cam Ward getting to the next team and his big payday. If you are trying to lure portal players, tell them you'll develop them, give us 2-3 years and if you hit that big payday, we will help you with that too. It's like getting players ready for the NFL, except now you start getting them ready for their big NIL deal in their grad transfer year. I don't like, but that's the game these days, and the sooner you adapt the better off you are.

RKTEAMRECTREND
1MichiganMichigan13-01
2WashingtonWashington13-01
3TexasTexas12-14
4AlabamaAlabama12-14
5Florida StateFlorida State13-01
6GeorgiaGeorgia12-15
7Ohio StateOhio State11-11
8OregonOregon11-23
9MissouriMissouri10-2-
10Penn StatePenn State10-2-
11Ole MissOle Miss10-2-
12OklahomaOklahoma10-2-
13LSULSU9-3-
That is bonkers!!

I'm just glad my nightmare scenario of UW sneaking into the #1 spot somehow, playing FSU (without a QB) at #4, didn't pan out. They win that and then there's way too high of a likelihood for my blood that they win the title.

They got an easy enough draw with Texas. Not easy but as much as it really sucks for FSU getting screwed, they aren't a top-4 team with Travis injured.

Reactions: Coug90
It's not FSU's fault that the ACC was trash this year. Between that opening weekend win against LSU and a win over Louisville, their schedule was no better than any schedule Boise State played against. And Louisville had just lost to a lower tier Kentucky team that had gone 1-5. It sucks to be FSU but they weren't leaving out the SEC champ for a team that everyone knows would get wrecked in the playoff.

The only thing that this whole thing shows is that they should have went to a bigger playoff sooner.
shuffle around the conference wins a different way and they get in. If Clemson wrecked the rest of the “trash” conference and went 11-1, FSU gets in easily. A team shouldn’t be penalized because its conference beats up on each other. Again, FSU beat LSU which is a perrenial top 10 team. Had they not scheduled that game and had 4 patsies maybe. Likewise, if Clemson goes 13-0 with the exact same schedule and results do they get in? You bet your ass they do. Hell they might be ranked #1. It was 100% about the QB being out and that’s crazy they left a team out for an injury.

Reactions: Coug1990
Is it going to 5 conference champs plus highest ranked 7? I think it was 6 and 6 before PAC imploded.

in that case, Big 12 and ACC would get champ in, but not much more.
no, it was 5 and 7, now it's going to be 4 and 8 but I'm guessing the P4 will be lobbying for an extra spot or two guaranteed.

What I find interesting, everyone thinks this will be fixed when the playoff moves to 12 teams. Heck even March Madness has trouble with 48 + 4. Below are the top 13 teams at the end of the year as or yesterday. You'll notice 12 of the 13 will be in the BIG 10, or SEC next year, only team not in those conferences is FSU. Do you really think they are going to make room for G-5 Schools, or the ACC or Big 12? I am sure those 2 conferences will claim they are entitled to all 12 spots, they'll settle for 10, and there will be 2 spots left for the ACC, Big 12, and G-5, needless to say one group is left out.

The gap between about 15-20 big money schools and the rest will get worse. Look at Cam Ward, they say he has offers from around 10 schools of 1 million, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go for 2 million plus, many of these schools have the money, WSU had to pull nickels out of a piggybank to come up with 100K.

The Cougs are not getting back into a "power 5 conference" and won't be part of the BIG or SEC, or those 32-40 teams the networks pick, they just don't have the money to compete. And it is sad it has come to this, but we have to move on, and I am OK with that, they just have to strive to be the best of the rest. WSU has always had to play "Billy Ball", so moving forward, work on the high school recruits, and work the portal for stars sitting on the bench. As the top schools will spend more time in the portal picking off top talent, now that these kids realize how much they can make, more top players will be free agents. Players have two shots, build a resume, transfer once, then the grad transfer for the big payday. This can actually work to the Cougs advantage is played right, develop the players to help them to the big payday. Don't look at the 85 scholarships other schools have, with all this money and transfer portal, there are only 22 starters, so there are a lot of solid players sitting on the bench in the big programs, just have a find a way to lure them away. So unfortunately, NIL money is still an issue, you just have to manage that money and look ahead. Top of the line grad transfers are out of our budget, but that kid with 2-3 yeas left is who they need, and will possibly lose them their grad transfer year. You have to look at the portal similar to the JC programs, you get two years out of them at best. If they are stars, they are probably gone the 3rd year. Unless they are like Jackson and Stone.

This is one thing Dickert is doing right, he is helping Cam Ward getting to the next team and his big payday. If you are trying to lure portal players, tell them you'll develop them, give us 2-3 years and if you hit that big payday, we will help you with that too. It's like getting players ready for the NFL, except now you start getting them ready for their big NIL deal in their grad transfer year. I don't like, but that's the game these days, and the sooner you adapt the better off you are.

RKTEAMRECTREND
1MichiganMichigan13-01
3TexasTexas12-14
4AlabamaAlabama12-14
6GeorgiaGeorgia12-15
8OregonOregon11-23
9MissouriMissouri10-2-
11Ole MissOle Miss10-2-
12OklahomaOklahoma10-2-
13LSULSU9-3-

Yup. I stopped paying attention to this shit years ago. Like I care if Bama or FSU or Ohio St make the playoff. I'll let the B1G and SEC fans argue about that. I'll care about WSU fares against it's regional conference foes, and nothing more than that.

RKTEAMRECTREND
1MichiganMichigan13-01
3TexasTexas12-14
4AlabamaAlabama12-14
6GeorgiaGeorgia12-15
8OregonOregon11-23
9MissouriMissouri10-2-
11Ole MissOle Miss10-2-
12OklahomaOklahoma10-2-
13LSULSU9-3-
Your point about being a development school is one of the main reasons I’m not interested in watching anymore. Using some past players as examples, instead of getting to watch Jr/Sr Mark Fields, we’re going to get to watch Fr/So Connor Halliday or Jeff Tuel. A large part of the enjoyment for me was watching players develop and get better, get to know them so to speak. We’re not going to get to watch star players develop and work through the program anymore, or very minimally at best.

Is it going to 5 conference champs plus highest ranked 7? I think it was 6 and 6 before PAC imploded.

in that case, Big 12 and ACC would get champ in, but not much more

Your point about being a development school is one of the main reasons I’m not interested in watching anymore. Using some past players as examples, instead of getting to watch Jr/Sr Mark Fields, we’re going to get to watch Fr/So Connor Halliday or Jeff Tuel. A large part of the enjoyment for me was watching players develop and get better, get to know them so to speak. We’re not going to get to watch star players develop and work through the program anymore, or very minimally at best.
Every college team becomes a developmental team, not just WSU, Ohio State's starting QB just hit the portal, and he is not a grad transfer, probably won't play in their bowl game, many top 10 teams have starters hitting the portal, I wouldn't be surprised to see players from teams in the playoffs have players sit out the game. College Football has been through many changes over the years, but the past 2-3 years have brought changes and actions we never expected, and much quicker than we expected. It is going to be like professional sports, you develop some players, and you pick up others through the portal to fill in the missing links, just like free agency in professional sports. Not saying I like it, but that is what is happening at every university.

Every college team becomes a developmental team, not just WSU, Ohio State's starting QB just hit the portal, and he is not a grad transfer, probably won't play in their bowl game, many top 10 teams have starters hitting the portal, I wouldn't be surprised to see players from teams in the playoffs have players sit out the game. College Football has been through many changes over the years, but the past 2-3 years have brought changes and actions we never expected, and much quicker than we expected. It is going to be like professional sports, you develop some players, and you pick up others through the portal to fill in the missing links, just like free agency in professional sports. Not saying I like it, but that is what is happening at every university.
I get what you’re saying, I’m just pointing out that every diamond in the rough we find (eg, Will Derting) is going to get poached the second they rise to the attention of bigger budget schools. It’s going to be like watching JV. If you want to watch them at their best, you’re going to be watching them on another team.

I get what you’re saying, I’m just pointing out that every diamond in the rough we find (eg, Will Derting) is going to get poached the second they rise to the attention of bigger budget schools. It’s going to be like watching JV. If you want to watch them at their best, you’re going to be watching them on another team.
I think you're right but slightly off on your timeline: the rising player will have to have a good year at WSU before they get poached, so we'll at least get one season out of them. I don't think P4 teams will be spending time and money poaching players with upside but no proven ability.

I think you're right but slightly off on your timeline: the rising player will have to have a good year at WSU before they get poached, so we'll at least get one season out of them. I don't think P4 teams will be spending time and money poaching players with upside but no proven ability.
Well Cam Ward is supposedly being offered a mill based on potential (cuz he certainly didn’t have what I’d call a good year), so I’m not holding out hope that other schools won’t pick off our promising players before they’ve put up big numbers.

Well Cam Ward is supposedly being offered a mill based on potential (cuz he certainly didn’t have what I’d call a good year), so I’m not holding out hope that other schools won’t pick off our promising players before they’ve put up big numbers.
Cam has shown he's a player, just not consistently for reasons that could be argued here but I won't go there.

But lets be honest - how many players have we had over the past 25 years that would have been poached before they naturally left or graduated from WSU? And its going to be even less now that we can't even recruit the 3 star talent that we used to, we'll be settling for mostly 2 star "talent".

Cam has shown he's a player, just not consistently for reasons that could be argued here but I won't go there.

But let’s be honest - how many players have we had over the past 25 years that would have been poached before they naturally left or graduated from WSU? And it’s going to be even less now that we can't even recruit the 3 star talent that we used to, we'll be settling for mostly 2 star "talent".
We have 1 or 2 guys drafted every year so you start there, and then there’s guys that may not be NFL caliber but would make good backups or starters on other teams—you could make the case a small handful (3-5 depending on the year) would get taken every year when the big kids rummage through our roster and take all our good stuff. So basically 15-20% of the starting 22.

If there’s anything to the rumors about who’s chasing him he will get well over a mill. 2+ is likely.

But let’s be honest - how many players have we had over the past 25 years that would have been poached before they naturally left or graduated from WSU? And it’s going to be even less now that we can't even recruit the 3 star talent that we used to, we'll be settling for mostly 2 star "talent".
A lot. Part of our problem historically hasn’t been talent in the starting 22 it’s been depth. A couple linemen go down and a key skill player and we’re F’d. There’s usually a few positions where we have guys who’d start for most p12 teams (except during 9-40)

Last edited:
Isn’t lack of quality, prepared depth the precise problem with WSU this season during the L-streak?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT