ADVERTISEMENT

Pono Gone

etowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Apr 15, 2018
Chaz and Theo both tweeted out the news. This is really bad news people. The kid was a stud.

Chaz and Theo both tweeted out the news. This is really bad news people. The kid was a stud.

All bets are off. Unless the coaches somehow talk him back, the defense is going to suffer mightily. Better hope the offense can score in bunches.

Where are these kids going during fall camp? It’s not like there is time to land somewhere else.

Where are these kids going during fall camp? It’s not like there is time to land somewhere else.

This doesn't make any sense, but that quote (“The dirt that’s been thrown on my name is false #TwoFace.”) strongly suggests he's facing an accusation of some kind. He's still on the roster, so that's good news. Right now, things are going south for the defense (Onyeukwu out for the season, Oguayo and Moore missing for two weeks, Lolohea gone). Claeys is off to a great start as d-coordinator.
Something weird is going on with Cougar football. Anyone seen Spongeforbrains with a needle and a voodoo doll?

Last edited:
Huge blow but stuff happens in fall camp. I tend to think he comes back unless there's a legal issue of some sort. Might just be hope talking though.

It apparently just happened, so let’s stay optimistic that Lolohea returns to the team before too long.

Still almost two full weeks until the season opener.

The other jc and walkon preserve their redshirt year if they have it . Maybe they just aren’t use to the hard work

The other jc and walkon preserve their redshirt year if they have it . Maybe they just aren’t use to the hard work

Who is "they"?
If the walk-on is Jesus Echevarria, he's already redshirted. If the other JC is Misiona Aiolupotea-Pei, he has a redshirt year available, but I'm pretty sure he'll play right away.
And JC players always have a transition. It would appear that guys like Lolohea and Echevarria have embraced the work ethic under Leach. Lolohea, who enrolled in January, trimmed down to 295 and cut his body fat from 26 to 20 percent. Echevarria took off 38 pounds (he's now at 300). So, there are some facts to undercut your insinuation they're not working hard enough.

Who is "they"?
If the walk-on is Jesus Echevarria, he's already redshirted. If the other JC is Misiona Aiolupotea-Pei, he has a redshirt year available, but I'm pretty sure he'll play right away.
And JC players always have a transition. It would appear that guys like Lolohea and Echevarria have embraced the work ethic under Leach. Lolohea, who enrolled in January, trimmed down to 295 and cut his body fat from 26 to 20 percent. Echevarria took off 38 pounds (he's now at 300). So, there are some facts to undercut your insinuation they're not working hard enough.

Hmmm....well Biggs was talking about the two kids who left earlier in camp. One was the JC linebacker. So I wasn't insinuating anything about the remaining players, and it was a question not an insinuation.

Hmmm....well Biggs was talking about the two kids who left earlier in camp. One was the JC linebacker. So I wasn't insinuating anything about the remaining players, and it was a question not an insinuation.

This is a thread about a D LINEMAN. Clarity can be your friend, Ed.
And, "Maybe they just aren’t use to the hard work" isn't a question, which traditionally and literally ends with a question mark.

Last edited:
And, "Maybe they just aren’t use to the hard work" isn't a question, which traditionally and literally ends with a question mark.
Thanks for the lesson. Maybe help out Biggs first as I was responding to him. If he was talking about just ONE player in Pono, he would have not put in the plural in "kids". And when a person says "'maybe" it raises the question. But thanks for your two cents post that didn't involve you.

I find it interesting to see all three JC players who joined the team this winter have (apparently) transferred out before we have even played a game. This tells me there are some unrealistic expectations by players who come in.
Catis, to be fair, was buried on the depth chart by younger players. Forbes was a reserve who could have played himself into a reserve role this year and possibly into a starting job next year.
Pono is truly a head scratcher. Even if he wasn't technically a starter week 1, you have to think he'd be seeing a lot of reps and he'd be starting before all is said and done. He's done a fantastic job of changing his body and lowering his body fat. He always was upbeat and seemes grateful for the opportunity to play at this level. Leach seemed surprised, too. Hopefully he works his way back on the team. Leaving is a bad look for him.

Reactions: kougkurt
I find it interesting to see all three JC players who joined the team this winter have (apparently) transferred out before we have even played a game. This tells me there are some unrealistic expectations by players who come in.
Catis, to be fair, was buried on the depth chart by younger players. Forbes was a reserve who could have played himself into a reserve role this year and possibly into a starting job next year.
Pono is truly a head scratcher. Even if he wasn't technically a starter week 1, you have to think he'd be seeing a lot of reps and he'd be starting before all is said and done. He's done a fantastic job of changing his body and lowering his body fat. He always was upbeat and seemes grateful for the opportunity to play at this level. Leach seemed surprised, too. Hopefully he works his way back on the team. Leaving is a bad look for him.

If they can’t play I can’t blame them for leaving. The timing is awful.

The depth would have been nice, but I’m more perplexed about how he was still behind Comfort for the starting NT spot...was he really going to be an impact player? Guess we’ll never know.

This is one of three things:

1. The kid is just pissed that he is running with the 2's instead of the first group. This is stupid because they will all play and he most likely would be starting shortly.
2. He might have broken one of Leach's three golden rules and is gone. If this is true then why did Leach say after practice last night he did not know why Pono was missing.
3. Pono tweeted something about dirt being thrown on his name - maybe he got butt hurt over some teasing and/or accusation.

What ever is going on the coaches need to get to the bottom of the situation and get it corrected - especially if Pono did not break any of Leach's three golden rules.

This is one of three things:

1. The kid is just pissed that he is running with the 2's instead of the first group. This is stupid because they will all play and he most likely would be starting shortly.
2. He might have broken one of Leach's three golden rules and is gone. If this is true then why did Leach say after practice last night he did not know why Pono was missing.
3. Pono tweeted something about dirt being thrown on his name - maybe he got butt hurt over some teasing and/or accusation.

What ever is going on the coaches need to get to the bottom of the situation and get it corrected - especially if Pono did not break any of Leach's three golden rules.

It's obviously pointless for us to speculate but I find it hard to get too worked up about a kid who quits before the first game. The only correcting that the coaches would need to do is if they heard something about Pono, punished him for it.....and the rumor was wrong. Other than that, it the kid wants to be gone, good riddance. I don't want kids who don't want to be at WSU.

Maybe Taylor Comfort is better than everyone expected.

Like the idea of a hungry 5th-year senior anchoring the defensive line.

Still holding out hope Lolohea finds a way back to the roster for depth purposes and to save a freshman or two’s redshirt year.

I think everyone has our fingers crossed the DL can hold the fort down this year and let Peyton Pelluer and the linebackers make a lot of plays.

Sorry, gotta disagree.

I understand wanting it, but taking your ball and going home every time you don't get your way is B's, and that's the player culture now. The Cougs made a commitment to this kid, where is his commitment in return?

Reactions: earldacoug
Sorry, gotta disagree.

I understand wanting it, but taking your ball and going home every time you don't get your way is B's, and that's the player culture now. The Cougs made a commitment to this kid, where is his commitment in return?

I promise you Leach is glad to get scholarships back from kids that cant play. I understand the idea of sticking it out. I also understand the idea of going somewhere you can get on the field. You do WSU no favors riding the pine, not contributing and taking up a scholarship.

I promise you Leach is glad to get scholarships back from kids that cant play. I understand the idea of sticking it out. I also understand the idea of going somewhere you can get on the field. You do WSU no favors riding the pine, not contributing and taking up a scholarship.

I interpreted Leach's comments to mean that the door is not necessarily closed to Lolohea's return, but the conditions of Lolohea's return would not be fun or easy.

The kid could play, and obviously be was going to play. Leach was caught a little off guard by the departure. Especially at a position like DL, he was going to get reps because it requires a rotation to keep everyone fresh. No way he saw less than 40% of the snaps, even as the second string guy.

The kid could play, and obviously be was going to play. Leach was caught a little off guard by the departure. Especially at a position like DL, he was going to get reps because it requires a rotation to keep everyone fresh. No way he saw less than 40% of the snaps, even as the second string guy.

Who knows what the issue is then. It’s a short list of kids that just walk away from playing time.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
He was in the rotation . Three things . Playing time, grades, or did something coaches don’t know about but will find out about.

All bets are off. Unless the coaches somehow talk him back, the defense is going to suffer mightily. Better hope the offense can score in bunches.
Hmmmm ... one kid leaves and the defense is suffering mightily ? What happened to coaching , technique, learning a quick first step (btw that wasn’t what was said in the article) and not to worrry? Holy cow the guy couldn’t beat out a walkon .

It sure would be nice to have that depth that is missing from the 14 class.

Thanks for the lesson. Maybe help out Biggs first as I was responding to him. If he was talking about just ONE player in Pono, he would have not put in the plural in "kids". And when a person says "'maybe" it raises the question. But thanks for your two cents post that didn't involve you.

This certainly never stopped you from humping exchanges between me and Loyal. STFU, dweeb.

Hmmmm ... one kid leaves and the defense is suffering mightily ? What happened to coaching , technique, learning a quick first step (btw that wasn’t what was said in the article) and not to worrry? Holy cow the guy couldn’t beat out a walkon .

One guy at the most difficult position on the field to find someone. I worry about the defense holding up over the full season. We're shallow on the lines.

Reactions: Cougzz and YakiCoug

He was recruited to compete for Daniel Ekuale's spot. Put on your thinking cap, shorty. As always, you're looking desperately for contradictions to assuage your Turd-induced idiocy in 2008.

Last edited:
What happened to coaching , technique, learning a quick first step (btw that wasn’t what was said in the article) and not to worrry? Holy cow (Jordan Lolohea) couldn’t beat out a walkon.

Ed,

With all due respect, I'm not sure why you're down on Taylor Comfort (who, BTW, is no longer a walk-on).

The kid has worked his tail off to become the starting nose guard for one of the best programs in the Pac-12.

He's a fireplug who's probably spent untold hours in the Cougar weightroom to get himself ready for D-I competition.

One of the best JuCo transfers in the country just couldn't dislodge Comfort from the starting lineup. That doesn't mean Jordan Lolohea isn't/wasn't a good player in his own right.

Also, what does TC's ascension have to do with WSU's 2014 recruiting class?

Ed,

With all due respect, I'm not sure why you're down on Taylor Comfort (who, BTW, is no longer a walk-on).

The kid has worked his tail off to become the starting nose guard for one of the best programs in the Pac-12.

He's a fireplug who's probably spent untold hours in the Cougar weightroom to get himself ready for D-I competition.

One of the best JuCo transfers in the country just couldn't dislodge Comfort from the starting lineup. That doesn't mean Jordan Lolohea isn't/wasn't a good player in his own right.

Because the Iron Laws that linked the failings of the 1994 class with the 1998 first-to-worst debacle now apply 24 years later. You see this pattern throughout Cougar football history. And, it's a chance for Erictile to stiffen up over the '90s again.

Reactions: earldacoug
The depth would have been nice, but I’m more perplexed about how he was still behind Comfort for the starting NT spot...was he really going to be an impact player? Guess we’ll never know.

No, because Comfort is going to play every snap of every game. We don't need no stinking rotation...:rolleyes:

Ed,

I for one am I looking forward to the graduation of the 2014 class so we don't have to have these conversations anymore. I hope that we have a great year and that the 2014 class goes out with a bang.

Ed,

Pete... the 2014 class is relevent because the depth which we don’t have should be coming from that class. But because that class was smaller and the attrition was significant we are relying on a jc player who just bolted .

As to comfort I am not down on him, I am just not up on him. Tell me what you have seen on the field from comfort in games to tell me I should not worry and be upbeat ?

The tell me in your history watching WSU football has a walkon dlineman actually participated in meaningful minutes ? Also tell me in 20 plus years how many walkons have started on the dline in the Pac 10/12.

So I don’t know how comfort will play . But I do know we are incredibly think without experience on the interior dline

How did this go from what apparently he views as a false accusation of some type to people speculating butt hurt and bad grades? It's funny how some make this very limited information into something they want to be the case. Let's see what happens. Hopefully it was a huge misunderstanding.

Somebody gets it.
Bingo. There’s a fine line between pandering to someone whos acting a bit selfish and entitled perhaps and just saying “bye” to a kid who probably was going to at the least get some snaps and give your starting NT a breather. There’s an investment of resources made in these players and it’s too late to recoup what he could have provided for this upcoming season. It’s a lose/lose if he’s indeed gone.

Also tell me in 20 plus years how many walkons have started on the dline in the Pac 10/12.
I'll give you a few, just real quickly. Cursory look finds:

Arizona had a couple walk-on's. Justin Belknap (he's known this year as the anchor for them) and Larry Tharpe Jr from last year.

Uw has Jared Pulu, John Clark and Jarryn Bush in their current rotation right now.

Stanford has Dylan Boles that, while he's still a walk-on and not in the 2 deep, I'm hearing that he is pushing up pretty hard.

Would you like me to find more? That's just this year and Tharpe from last year...

I'll give you a few, just real quickly. Cursory look finds:

Arizona had a couple walk-on's. Justin Belknap (he's known this year as the anchor for them) and Larry Tharpe Jr from last year.

Uw has Jared Pulu, John Clark and Jarryn Bush in their current rotation right now.

Stanford has Dylan Boles that, while he's still a walk-on and not in the 2 deep, I'm hearing that he is pushing up pretty hard.

Would you like me to find more? That's just this year and Tharpe from last year...
I am sorry 95 I guess I should have said how many have started . Have the three us Walkons played and started ? What are their stats?

Yes there are always players that are walkons but how many have quality snaps . At WSU since 1985 how many walkons have played and really contributed much less started . I can name one . Kongika

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT