ADVERTISEMENT

President Schulz talks about his plans for WSU's war chest

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
Interview with Portland radio show host and all-around good guy Jon Canzano:

On WSU's $127.5M war chest earned from Pac-12 the settlement:

"We reduced our athletics budget this last year by about $10 million to $11 million. And that is painful as hell. We let people go who worked for us for 30 years. I mean, it was not an easy set of decisions to make. The reason I bring that up is you’ve got really two choices here. You can say we’re going to use some of those dollars, the majority of those dollars, to ensure that Washington State and Oregon State get the same (TV distributions) we would have gotten from media rights and not 20 percent of what we would have gotten from media rights. I think at least for the next two years, we’re looking at the conference providing a reasonable subsidy coming back to each institution from that war chest to help us preserve our competitive budget and … give ourselves time for that last question about where are we going to be (conference-wise) and what that’s going to look like.

I think that has been the approach much, much more so than, ‘Hey, let's sit on a huge bunch of money that we're going to go use to buy schools.’

I think cutting our athletic budget by $30 million so we can go buy somebody else, I think what would happen is people would say, ‘Well, Kirk, that’s great, but you just gutted us forever. Maybe that was too hasty a decision.’ So I know everybody looks and says, ‘Oh, you got all this money.’ But if you start looking at the media for the two schools over a couple of years, some of the legal stuff coming down the road, the need to keep a small conference office there, fees that we do have to pay to the Mountain West and other places to participate, you can burn through it pretty quickly. And we just want to make sure that we’re preserving some of those dollars for the future, but that we’re maintaining as much as possible the excellence we have in our programs right now."

"I’m very committed to ensuring that we have a really great Division I conference — an all-sports conference — on the West Coast," Schultz said. "I know some of the premier schools are in Midwest-based or East Coast-based conferences. But at the end of the day, I think the West Coast is going to want a premier conference. Now, does that look like some merger or whatever? I don’t know yet. But I do think that’s still really important to me and I think it’s important to some of my colleagues on the West Coast.

As you can imagine, lots of egos get in the way. We’ve got to be really careful about how we message. I think when we came out of the gate a year ago, there was a little bit of, ‘Hey, we’re just going to go cherry-pick whatever schools we want and everybody’s going to come running.’ I think we found out that we were behaving in a way that people said, ‘Hey, what was just done to you two schools… now you’re talking about doing the same to everybody else and it’s OK?!?’ I think we took a step backward and said, ‘Hey, let’s talk about maybe partnerships instead of acquisition.’ "

- - - - -

Mikalas, sounds Pres. Schultz is more inclined to take the "whole enchilada" when it comes to the Mountain West and not just the traditionally more successful "cream of the crop" schools.

"I’m very committed to ensuring that we have a really great Division I conference — an all-sports conference — on the West Coast," Schultz said. "I know some of the premier schools are in Midwest-based or East Coast-based conferences. But at the end of the day, I think the West Coast is going to want a premier conference. Now, does that look like some merger or whatever? I don’t know yet. But I do think that’s still really important to me and I think it’s important to some of my colleagues on the West Coast.

As you can imagine, lots of egos get in the way. We’ve got to be really careful about how we message. I think when we came out of the gate a year ago, there was a little bit of, ‘Hey, we’re just going to go cherry-pick whatever schools we want and everybody’s going to come running.’ I think we found out that we were behaving in a way that people said, ‘Hey, what was just done to you two schools… now you’re talking about doing the same to everybody else and it’s OK?!?’ I think we took a step backward and said, ‘Hey, let’s talk about maybe partnerships instead of acquisition.’ "

- - - - -

Mikalas, sounds Pres. Schultz is more inclined to take the "whole enchilada" when it comes to the Mountain West and not just the traditionally more successful "cream of the crop" schools.

In other articles Oregon State's AD has been quoted they want to keep it at 8 or 9 schools if they rebuild. This has me wondering if a merger would take on the form of some sort of revenue sharing or tiered conference. Meaning, 8 to 10 teams in the Pac-12, 10 teams in the Mountain West, w/ some sort of master TV or media agreement with scheduling agreements or something to that effect.

- - - - -

Sounds like we’re gonna run a Big School budget for 2 years till it’s gone then as the money runs out we’ll lock in a MWC media deal and budget and pass through future revenues as the P-12 finally folds.

In other articles Oregon State's AD has been quoted they want to keep it at 8 or 9 schools if they rebuild. This has me wondering if a merger would take on the form of some sort of revenue sharing or tiered conference. Meaning, 8 to 10 teams in the Pac-12, 10 teams in the Mountain West, w/ some sort of master TV or media agreement with scheduling agreements or something to that effect.
The "partnerships instead of acquisition" thing makes me wonder if he's trying to find a new sort of structure that's more like a scheduling arrangement than an actual conference. Sort of blurring the lines and being somewhere between an independent and a conference member.

Only way I see that working is if there was a streaming media deal that at least partially pays the host school, rather than making equal distributions.

Streaming is the future, and someone's got to go first. I suppose it might as well be us.

Schultz left out the part about once again becoming a Power 5 team in a Power 5 Conference with a Power 5 media revenue deal.

But having your teams play other teams close by in various sports is cool too, I guess. ( probably can be achieved with a much smaller budget, one appropriate for our competition)

- - - - -

1. Pete, that is what Shultz may want

2. Others in charge at WSU may not agree with Shultz at WSU, and may be keeping keeping silent.

3. Shultz will only be at WSU for about 2 to 4 to 6 to 8 more months, etc, and then he is GONE, and will be REPLACED by a NEW WSU PRESIDENT, who either may keep or replace other WSU leaders that may disagree with Shultz.

4. Because of all the above, it's still possible for WSU to either cherry pick(not free, cost $), or take top 9 MWC(Free, doesn't cost), or do full merger with MWC, or some other option, etc, because we all here at WW, etc, don't know what that NEW WSU President, and other WSU leaders, that that NEW WSU President, will either keep, or appoint, who knows what they think, or will do, etc.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that Schulz gave a lengthy, informative and detail-filled answer about our Athletics financial situation, whereas our new AD, in her interview, gave us none of those.

And thanks ttown for posting about this interview yesterday which garnered 190 views and one reply (mine).

OSU? Sure they can go ahead and drop out of the Pac-2 and form their little 8 team conference, leaving WSU with ALL of the future money. The Big Sky is ripe for poaching.

Edit - I did not know that OSU's President is a Coug (Master's).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT