ADVERTISEMENT

Pullman PD at it again

ED.....I've got to agree with CD on this one. He might have gone a little too harsh, but Broughton could have avoided the whole situation by acting differently. The cops were wrong, but Broughton was too. Any parent can send their kid to Pullman without fear of tazing as long as they don't break the law. If they are stuck in a position where they are being questioned by the police, even unfairly.....cooperate. Police over-reach is a real problem in our country right now, but in most cases, the victims of abuse by the police had a hand in their own beating by virtue of failing to cooperate. I've dealt with a jack booted thug cop that was just itching to arrest my friend and it didn't take much to talk the guy down. It's sad that civilians have to be the adults in the room sometimes, but that's the world we live in.

Hmmm...Let me pull out two or three very important issues. One, "He might have gone a little too harsh". Yeah, that is a huge problem. What happens if there is a more even keeled approach? Do you think it gets escalated to the point it did? Yes, they have very dangerous jobs, but the officer wasn't in a dangerous position, yet he acted as he was.

2) they are being questioned by the police, even unfairly.....cooperate. You just hit on the major issue...UNFAIRLY. That is the most damning statement.

3) . Police over-reach is a real problem in our country - second most damning thing being said in your well thought out post. And for certain people that doesn't make a town "safer".

Like i said it is a real problem for the town and school.

Reactions: mikalalas

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Do you think it gets escalated to the point it did? Yes, they have very dangerous jobs, but the officer wasn't in a dangerous position, yet he acted as he was.

Well actually, in Pullman, Washington no they don't have dangerous jobs. About the most dangerous thing that could happen to a Pullman Police Officer is if some drunk coed decided to chomp their weanie off in the middle off "getting off" of their MIP.

Yeah the more ranty and all caps things get the more defensive or anxious it sounds, and I'm not really eager to stay in this thread if it's gonna turn into Infowars-lite.

I will say this though: racism and bigotry are different things but lots of people like to conflate them. When people talk about racism they usually mean broad-based, systemic, often subtle things that end up having serious consequences in tense moments or in the great sorting mechanisms if life. Bigotry is the Klan rallies, the nasty emails, the lady who trained me in a new position at work after I migrated to Australia who felt comfortable enough with me to tell me how much she wished all the Chinese in this part of town would "go back to their own country." I deadpanned something about immigrants stealing jobs to shut her up, but it went over her head because I'm a white dude with an American accent. Denying racism exists, and is prevalent, and has real consequences, requires a way of reading the world that I'm not likely to cater to

Add Jemel Roberson to the list from this past weekend. He was a bouncer in a club in Chicago. Several drunk idiots were kicked out of a bar and one of them came back with a gun. Doing his job, Jemel took the guy with a gun down and held him down to wait for the police. Police came in and immediately shot and killed Jemel...
You left out a detail. The police were dispatched to the club in response to a shooting there. On arrival, they found someone holding a gun in someone else's back. Given the circumstances it was reasonable to conclude that the person holding the gun was a threat. Being black was less a factor than the simple fact that he had a gun pointed at another person.
I've read conflicting reports about his clothing, and how clearly he was identified as security. Apparently at least one officer wasn't sufficiently familiar with this place's security uniforms. Particularly if you're using armed security, it's the employer's responsibility to make sure their people are adequately identified.
Also, it's fundamental to active shooter response that when police arrive, don't be the one holding a gun! That's going to be their cue for "bad guy", and you're going to get shot. Stand on it, sit on it, kick it away. Don't reach for it, and for God's sake don't pick it up. Considering Roberson's position and reported interest in being a cop, that should have been included in his training.
It's an unfortunate situation all around, but made even more so that it's being seized as another racial incident when in fact it looks like a lack of information leading to a flawed threat assessment.

Reactions: mikalalas
Yes, and both sides were at fault in Charlottesville.
Sincerely, Donald Trump.

The cops were wronger, and they were wrong first.

And my comments do not mean that I agree with anything Ed said. Ever.

Wow......mikalas has gotten everyone all fired up. I'm not sure how Charlottesville is relevant here. FWIW, I'm on your side that the police have set the City of Pullman up to lose some money because of their stupidity.

Wow......mikalas has gotten everyone all fired up. I'm not sure how Charlottesville is relevant here. FWIW, I'm on your side that the police have set the City of Pullman up to lose some money because of their stupidity.
I think that's almost universally agreed to. The surrounding noise kinda jacked the thread

Just wanted to mention that the video has gotten some legs. My son said that it's making the rounds around campus where he goes to school here in Kansas.

Just wanted to mention that the video has gotten some legs. My son said that it's making the rounds around campus where he goes to school here in Kansas.

Of course it does. Video is a pretty powerful tool.

ADVERTISEMENT