ADVERTISEMENT

Recruitment spending vs Win Percentage

justinbgocougs

Head Coach
Nov 1, 2014
Not sure if you guys have seen this but I thought it was interesting.

23p5o9o1cii61.png

What about "unofficial" recruitment spending?....I'm sure the Fuskies and Whoregon would not look as good on win percentage relative to spending. I'm also pretty surprised at how little Wisconsin apparently spends on recruitment.

Reactions: SDCoug
Spending is a "push" metric. It correlates to wins because it can help, but it explains only a little of the variability in outcomes. Imagine if Alabama blew out everyone else's budget 10:1 but replaced its entire coaching staff with sixth grade girls from the local Catholic school - after a few years, they'd be lucky to win an FCS game. What's more important: Nick Saban and his crew, or dollars? I'd rather have the former if I wanted to win.

Coaching spend, by contrast, can create "pull" by ensuring better results: easier to sell a recruit on getting scouted and going bowling every year than it is to sell them on how much money you spent to get in their living room.

The public PAC schools actually were more in line with each other in terms of spending vs. wins than I expected. Of course, the privates (Stanford and USC) were not listed...so for those two it is guesswork.

What really surprised me, is that WSU is spending 665(I assume 665k)

And that WSU is spending more the UCLA, and more then FSU, and other semi blue bloods like FSU, etc.

If WSU continues to spend more on recruiting, and if Rolo pans out, and if hire a good replacement, then WSU will gradually recruit better and probably win more.

Obviously there is more for WSU to do, but WSU spending more on recruiting then other big time colleges, is a step in the right direction, and yet another sign that WSU is playing BIG BOY football.

What really surprised me, is that WSU is spending 665(I assume 665k)

And that WSU is spending more the UCLA, and more then FSU, and other semi blue bloods like FSU, etc.

If WSU continues to spend more on recruiting, and if Rolo pans out, and if hire a good replacement, then WSU will gradually recruit better and probably win more.

Obviously there is more for WSU to do, but WSU spending more on recruiting then other big time colleges, is a step in the right direction, and yet another sign that WSU is playing BIG BOY football.

The winning percentage is .667. The three year spending total is about $5.5 million.

Reactions: SDCoug
Bear in mind that in any given year, our recruiting travel costs are highest in the PAC with the possible exception of Colorado (depending upon where they are going).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT