ADVERTISEMENT

Research on Rolovich

dgibbons

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2002
I unexpectedly had some time on my hands, and decided to do some googling.

Not much out there in terms of arrests. In April of 2016 a DL got into some kind of altercation with his girlfriend that ended with two counts of domestic abuse and one count of resisting arrest. He was dismissed from the team. Apparently the kid was naked when the cops were arrested him, and a teammate (presumably roommate) tried to give him some clothes and was charged with obstruction. This second guy was suspended from the team for the 2017 season for violation of team rules, but was could have returned in 2018. Both players were suspended following the arrests.

A standout WR and kick returner was dismissed from the team during the 2019 season, no reason given other than failure to meet team expectations.

Nice story from Rolovich's hometown paper. https://www.marinij.com/2019/11/08/...ich-doing-it-his-way-at-university-of-hawaii/

Nothing on any NCAA violations.

Nothing on academic casualties. The 2017-18 APR was 914, which is not stellar. The 2015-16 Apr was 976, which was the third straight year of improvement.

There was some kind of issue of a Star-Advertiser photographer. Rolovich pushed him. Sounds like it was a chaotic scene where the team stormed the field with time left on the clock when SDSU missed a FG.
https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/ho...d-by-hawaii-football-coach-nick-rolovich.html

I unexpectedly had some time on my hands, and decided to do some googling.

Not much out there in terms of arrests. In April of 2016 a DL got into some kind of altercation with his girlfriend that ended with two counts of domestic abuse and one count of resisting arrest. He was dismissed from the team. Apparently the kid was naked when the cops were arrested him, and a teammate (presumably roommate) tried to give him some clothes and was charged with obstruction. This second guy was suspended from the team for the 2017 season for violation of team rules, but was could have returned in 2018. Both players were suspended following the arrests.

A standout WR and kick returner was dismissed from the team during the 2019 season, no reason given other than failure to meet team expectations.

Nice story from Rolovich's hometown paper. https://www.marinij.com/2019/11/08/...ich-doing-it-his-way-at-university-of-hawaii/

Nothing on any NCAA violations.

Nothing on academic casualties. The 2017-18 APR was 914, which is not stellar. The 2015-16 Apr was 976, which was the third straight year of improvement.

There was some kind of issue of a Star-Advertiser photographer. Rolovich pushed him. Sounds like it was a chaotic scene where the team stormed the field with time left on the clock when SDSU missed a FG.
https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/ho...d-by-hawaii-football-coach-nick-rolovich.html
I suspect every person from the UH side was being shoved back to the sideline, he just happened to be one of them.

The only part of that that concerns me is the APR portion. I looked at the numbers too, and Hawaii's multi-year rate has been in decline since 2014-15. Rolovich was only coach for 2 seasons that have data available. His first season they fell from his predecessor's 976 to 954, and then fell to 914 for his second year. Some of that could easily be associated with transfers and dismissals that occurred with the coaching change, but I'm really curious about the 40-point drop ahead of his second year.

If the 2019 numbers come out and show UH rebounding above 930, I'll forget about it. But if they don't climb back - or ever worse, they fall further - I'll be concerned. We did really well in our APR under Leach (he added 30+ points to our multi-year rating), I really don't want to see us near the edge of penalties like we were under Doba/Wulff.

The only part of that that concerns me is the APR portion. I looked at the numbers too, and Hawaii's multi-year rate has been in decline since 2014-15. Rolovich was only coach for 2 seasons that have data available. His first season they fell from his predecessor's 976 to 954, and then fell to 914 for his second year. Some of that could easily be associated with transfers and dismissals that occurred with the coaching change, but I'm really curious about the 40-point drop ahead of his second year.

If the 2019 numbers come out and show UH rebounding above 930, I'll forget about it. But if they don't climb back - or ever worse, they fall further - I'll be concerned. We did really well in our APR under Leach (he added 30+ points to our multi-year rating), I really don't want to see us near the edge of penalties like we were under Doba/Wulff.
A big chunk of APR is graduating kids. So if they leave, get booted, or transfer (not sure about this one), it counts against your APR even if they were straight A students.

Graduation rate was 79 percent as of 2018. This measures the graduation rate within six years of enrollment. That was third in the MWC and above the FBS average of 77 percent.

Graduation rate was 79 percent as of 2018. This measures the graduation rate within six years of enrollment. That was third in the MWC and above the FBS average of 77 percent.

The rate for 2020/2021 will be interesting to see. That’d be his first class that went through.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT