ADVERTISEMENT

Rest In Peace Keith Jackson

Sad news. Prayers for his family. God must be starting a new league in heaven and wanted the best broadcaster.

Reactions: Bruce1981
It didn't matter the game, if he was doing it, I was watching it. Rest in peace mr. Jackson

American legend!

Keith Jackson doing WSU in the Rose Bowl against Michigan in 1998 must have been the career highlight for him.

Still baffled why Mushburger called the RB in 2003 against Oklahoma. Was KJ mostly retired at that point?

I've missed his presence the past few years.....the consummate professional broadcaster who was always an inspiration to aspiring young sports broadcasters everywhere. Rest in peace, Keith Jackson.

Glad Cougar

Very sad news, but the man lived 89 incredible years. Such a legend. A celebration of his life begins today. RIP

The greatest voice in college football history and a very fine man.

I doubt there'll ever be another like him. He truly was college football personified. It would be sweet if ESPN or some others produced a special to honor him. We all knew this day was coming, but a tear or two dripped from my eyes anyway.

Last edited:
It didn't matter the game, if he was doing it, I was watching it. Rest in peace mr. Jackson
1975 Indy shortened by rain.....Wasn't even aware of the fact that he was a WSU grad....11 years old watching Indy and captivated by the voice.

Met him in person somewhere around 1979 when we had him visit KUGR to do some sound bits and promos for the station. He told me, "I'm the old goat who put this station On the Air".

Also, we were there for the 2014 ceremony and unveiling of "Jackson Hall" a wing/building at the Edward R Murrow Communication Center, (with Elson Floyd officiating).

Keith died on my birthday.

The "golden throat ed voice of Keith Jackson" will always reverberate in my mind when i think of college football telecasts.

I doubt there'll ever be another like him. He truly was college football personified. It would be sweet if ESPN or some others produced a special to honor him. We all knew this day was coming, but a tear or two dripped from my eyes anyway.

The memorium ESPN ran this morning was pretty good.

Jackson was unique, one-of-a-kind. His voice has been described as "golden", "mellifluous" and other adjectives. His Western rural intonations with a substrate of Georgia accent and, yes, the training he received in Pullman, was singular. With the homogenization of our national accent, his voice may never be replicated. To me he simply came across as "friendly". It was as if he invited one to sit down, threw an arm around your shoulders and began to explain what was happening on the field. When your heard his voice, it drew you in and you just had to listen. We can, and should, all be proud of his connection to WSU. He and Murrow were truly giants in their field.

God bless and RIP.

By far one of the greatest if not the greatest sports announcers of all time. He represented WSU very well. He will be missed dearly, but NEVER forgotten.

The word missing from all the above:

Class.

Few could touch his...for want of a better word...goodness. Not a term that is currently in fashion, but it fits. A second word: Humble. Not many folks sit atop their profession and evince so little attitude. The guy lived in the same house since the 60's. A nice house, but nothing spectacular. He just liked his neighbors.

And Observer, thanks much for the Old Wazzu clip. I hadn't seen it in years. Brought to mind several things...the guys riding in the back of the El Camino...that was still legal. I never saw that many cowboy hats, total, in my 4 years '76-'80 (I remember thinking that when I first saw the film!), and I spent many hours in the Ag side of campus. The other thing I remember thinking..."where is the ash?". It was still pretty visible in early '81. What a great trip down memory lane. Thanks!!

Keith, RIP. I won't forget you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT