ADVERTISEMENT

Roster defectors

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
While there is and should be a lot of hand wringing about the roster clearing out after the season, and justifiably so, it can't be forgotten that many of these kids didn't have much better offer sheets and that a scholarship is still a scholarship. I don't anticipate the P4 teams to be poaching our kids left and right, but we might lose some to MWC competitors that can offer a full schollie. We should also still be able to pull some kids from other G5 programs who are unhappy with their situation. The worst part of it is simply the turnover on the roster and having to train and coach kids to a new system.

While there is and should be a lot of hand wringing about the roster clearing out after the season, and justifiably so, it can't be forgotten that many of these kids didn't have much better offer sheets and that a scholarship is still a scholarship. I don't anticipate the P4 teams to be poaching our kids left and right, but we might lose some to MWC competitors that can offer a full schollie. We should also still be able to pull some kids from other G5 programs who are unhappy with their situation. The worst part of it is simply the turnover on the roster and having to train and coach kids to a new system.
What? You think we are going to reduce scholarships?

Look, that would be the worst thing we can do. For FY 24, we need to show stability, financially and otherwise. Now, ways to reduce the budget have been discussed before. I think Athletic Dept. staffing needs to be culled a little. Must be some other paperclips we can scrounge on. The closest detailed info on the Budget comes from FY 21. the "update" from October of that fiscal year had schollies at 11.4 million and salaries at 25.3 million out of a 69.1 million expense budget. Hmmmm.

Another deficit year ain't gonna kill us as WSU makes life and death decisions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT