ADVERTISEMENT

Schulz gone?

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011

I've been driving the new leadership bus since 2018, so I'm not terribly surprised this is gaining more steam.

enrollment is down for a variety of reasons.

Ironically, I think we need to make college cheaper and have more degrees that can be earned quicker (think 2 year nursing programs) if we want to really be innovative.
Bingo.

I'd like to see the national numbers and compare them. I think a lot of folks are having their kids consider trade school.

Ironically, I think we need to make college cheaper and have more degrees that can be earned quicker (think 2 year nursing programs) if we want to really be innovative.
Pray tell? mutt enrollment is up 6% during the same timeframe........

When I was in Pullman, I believe WSU was the most expensive in-state tuition across the four NW universities.

Now, we have to ask if that premium dollar gives full value.

When I was in Pullman, I believe WSU was the most expensive in-state tuition across the four NW universities.

When my son told me the difference between WSU and dub I didn't believe (7 or 8 years ago). Went off and looked it up and he was of course correct. I believe Oregon State in-state tuition is higher than WSU (and Oregon as well?).

We all love WSU, but not sure how that logically lines out.

When my son told me the difference between WSU and dub I didn't believe (7 or 8 years ago). Went off and looked it up and he was of course correct. I believe Oregon State in-state tuition is higher than WSU (and Oregon as well?).

Still is. $500 above uw. And Birth, there are five 4-year public universities. 6 if you count Evergreen State College

Did a quick search, because I am curious. State resident tuition maps out at:
OSU: $13,791
UO: $15,669
WSU: $5,777....it looks like a semester, for $11,554?
F**kers: $12,645

Of course, WSU's is the most difficult to track down a solid number.

Sources:
OSU: https://financialaid.oregonstate.edu/cost-attendance
UO: https://financialaid.uoregon.edu/cost_of_attendance
WSU: https://financialaid.wsu.edu/tuition-expenses/
F**kers: I'll save you the click and just say trust me.

Last edited:
Still is. $500 above uw. And Birth, there are five 4-year public universities. 6 if you count Evergreen State College
I was counting the universities in the conference formally known as the Pac-12, so I should have stated that more clearly.

Did a quick search, because I am curious. State resident tuition maps out at:
OSU: $13,791
UO: $15,669
WSU: $5,777....it looks like a semester, for $11,554?
F**kers: $12,645

Of course, WSU's is the most difficult to track down a solid number.

Sources:
OSU: https://financialaid.oregonstate.edu/cost-attendance
UO: https://financialaid.uoregon.edu/cost_of_attendance
WSU: https://financialaid.wsu.edu/tuition-expenses/
F**kers: I'll save you the click and just say trust me.
WSU's is per semester, but you also need to add in mandatory fees of $721. Multiply the total by 2 = 12,996 per year. Didn't bother to look at the others for mandatory fees.

And yeah I see now - 4 NW universities not WA universities. My bad.

WSU's is per semester, but you also need to add in mandatory fees of $721. Multiply the total by 2 = 12,996 per year. Didn't bother to look at the others for mandatory fees.

And yeah I see now - 4 NW universities not WA universities. My bad.
Good catch, thanks for calling that out. Clearly they don't lay it out as clean as other pages.

Good catch, thanks for calling that out. Clearly they don't lay it out as clean as other pages.
Well 28 years in Higher Ed, 17 at WSU, in finance helps me sort through the confusing data. WSU's data used to be more straightforward. Funny how the better technology and information gathering gets, the cloudier and hidden the facts get.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth

This. 100%.

No surprise liberal academics can't see the forest for the trees. And while there are a variety of reasons, the #1 is and has been for twenty years....

administrative bloat.

I've been driving the new leadership bus since 2018, so I'm not terribly surprised this is gaining more steam.
Ok, I just sort of skimmed the first few paragraphs originally, but now just read the entire article. Wow. I clearly have not been paying attention the last few years....
  • Ok, enrollment decline - we've covered that. Not good
  • Declining US News rankings. These rankings are kind of contrived BS, but it is not a good look
  • "Drive to 25" campaign failure. It's not so much the failure, but the stupid idea in the first place. Worse than Elson Floyd's (RIP) ambition for WSU to become an AAU institution
  • Chancellor Chilton being put in charge of Athletics in '22 and '23. That one went right past me. And hiring her position (and full staff I'm sure) in the first place, that did not escape me when it happened. As enrollment was declining.....
  • Moving his office downtown? I missed that one too. Goodbye any student or faculty/staff interaction. Glenn Terrell must have rolled over in his grave. Sam Smith would always say goodnight to the custodian. I remember the Xmas eve when Floyd sent his office home early and sat in the reception area on his laptop. Hell he and I were about the only ones in French Ad that late afternoon
  • Moving to a home in the Tri-Cities? WTF? WTF? What?
  • Losing 50% of our research faculty? While we continue to build new research and other buildings (don't forget declining enrollment)? What the F?
This is serious shit - not just a bunch of malcontents talking. And new administration? Please do. Our executive structure has become an absolute bloated pile of VP and AVP shit. I know. And the Regents? They have always been a bunch of rubber-stamping figureheads. Very few (I can name 2 in 17 years) that actually bothered to ask questions and delve into the details. Bill Marler (Spokane Attorney) was one

Also need to consider where we put resources in academic programs. We’ve poured money into the V&E program because it gets headlines and is regionally popular. But it’s less than 100 students, with a limited job market.
We continue to pour huge resources into the med school. Again, about 100 students, in a program that costs a ton to set up and maintain, and so far brings in zero research dollars
Meanwhile, graduate programs are withering on the vine. Research is down, partially due to less funding in our traditional sources and an institutional move toward energy research. The biggest issue there is we seem to be looking at the next 2-5 years, rather than 20.

As for Schulz - his wife is the new director of the renewable energy institute, a joint move with PNNL. My sense is that the move to Tri-Cities is in support of that, and in one way or another it’s moving Kirk toward retirement.

Not surprising at all. Enrollment dying on the vine while Schulz mutters, "Let them eat cake."

giphy.gif

Does the decline count online students?

WSU offers online for undergraduates. UW doesn't offer online. Brick and mortar only. Could this be part of the decline?

Yes and no.

Even tho the faculty wants changes, and even tho they are right in blaming leadership and wanting leadership change, what they are not seeing is that WSU, OSU NEEDS FOR SCHULZ, CHUN to HAVE VOTES ON THE CFP COMMITTEE, AND THE CFP SELECTION COMMITTEE.

If get rid of Schulz, Chun NOW, then WSU, OSU, PAC 2, will lose ACCESS, VOTES, REPRESENTATION on the CFP AND SELECTION COMMITTEE, which would be BAD for WSU, OSU, PAC 2.

IF Schultz, Chun is replaced on the CFP committee, and selection committee, THEN and ONLY then can Schultz, Chun be changed, Replaced.

But the faculty does not care about that, because they don't get that IF WSU, OSU, PAC 2 loses CFP, Selection committee representation by no longer having Schultz, Chun on those things, that that WOULD HURT WSU, OSU, PAC 2, ATHLETICALLY, WHICH WOULD HURT WSU, OSU, PAC 2 FINANCIALLY, WHICH WOULD EVENTUALLY HURT WSU'S ENROLLMENT, ACADEMIC FINANCIAL COFFERS, AND HURT WSU'S ACADEMIC RANKING, AND HURT WSU'S ACADEMIC OFFERINGS, AND WOULD HURT WSU'S TIER 1 ACADEMIC RESEARCH, AND WOULD HURT EVERYTHING THAT THE FACULTY WANTS.

FORTUNATELY WSU'S FACULTY IS NOT IN CHARGE.

AND THOSE WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF, HIRED SCHULTZ, ETC, DO KNOW HOW CRITICAL IT IS THAT SCHULTZ AND CHUN CONTINUE TO SIT ON CFP, SELECTION COMMITTEE.

I will say that my daughter decided to not go to WSU because the Chemical Engineering program was clearly not a priority for WSU. The ChemE program was moved over into a hand me down old Vet Med building away from the rest of the engineering complex and the whole building (and program) just had a second hand vibe that wasn't good. She was still strongly considering WSU because of my stories of the school and she had always enjoyed our visits to Pullman...but at the end of the day, the shiny new facilities at the Colorado School of Mines and the University of Kansas just made WSU look sad.

006100_00_N9_large-1.jpg

Coorstek Headquarters at Colorado School of Mines

leep2-learned-hall.jpeg

KU Engineering Complex

Wegner-720x480-2.jpg

Wegner Hall - WSU ChemE building.

Two buildings scream innovation and progress.....one looks like any other sixty year old building. WSU has lost its way and needs change. Not sure how much is directly on Schulz but I don't think anyone is sad if he goes. Frankly, for all of the brief posturing about the CFP, we have folded like origami in the past few days with nothing to show for it.

• Sad
Reactions: PeteTheChop
I will say that my daughter decided to not go to WSU because the Chemical Engineering program was clearly not a priority for WSU. The ChemE program was moved over into a hand me down old Vet Med building away from the rest of the engineering complex and the whole building (and program) just had a second hand vibe that wasn't good. She was still strongly considering WSU because of my stories of the school and she had always enjoyed our visits to Pullman...but at the end of the day, the shiny new facilities at the Colorado School of Mines and the University of Kansas just made WSU look sad.

006100_00_N9_large-1.jpg

leep2-learned-hall.jpeg

KU Engineering Complex

Wegner-720x480-2.jpg

Two buildings scream innovation and progress.....one looks like any other sixty year old building. WSU has lost its way and needs change. Not sure how much is directly on Schulz but I don't think anyone is sad if he goes. Frankly, for all of the brief posturing about the CFP, we have folded like origami in the past few days with nothing to show for it.

I still think WSU needs to wait for either Schultz, Chun to either be replaced by 2 other WSU or OSU administrators on the CFP committee and Selection committee OR until Schultz, Chun, get removed, retire from CFP committee, selection committee, even if they are not replaced by WSU, OSU administrators on CFP, selection committee, BEFORE THEY FIRE, REPLACE, RETIRE, ETC, SCHULTZ, CHUN.

Firing Schultz, Chun today, tomorrow, in a few days, in a week, in a month, etc, from now while they sit on the CFP, selection committee, would be a mistake.

WSU needs to stick with Schultz, Chun for the next 2,3,4,5 years until the PAC 2 is on rebuild path, and until it's safe for Schultz, Chun not to be on CFP, selection committee, etc, AND THEN WSU CAN FIRE SCHULTZ, CHUN, ETC.

Also need to consider where we put resources in academic programs. We’ve poured money into the V&E program because it gets headlines and is regionally popular. But it’s less than 100 students, with a limited job market.
We continue to pour huge resources into the med school. Again, about 100 students, in a program that costs a ton to set up and maintain, and so far brings in zero research dollars
Meanwhile, graduate programs are withering on the vine. Research is down, partially due to less funding in our traditional sources and an institutional move toward energy research. The biggest issue there is we seem to be looking at the next 2-5 years, rather than 20.

As for Schulz - his wife is the new director of the renewable energy institute, a joint move with PNNL. My sense is that the move to Tri-Cities is in support of that, and in one way or another it’s moving Kirk toward retirement.

The president of any university should live in the town where the university is.

006100_00_N9_large-1.jpg

leep2-learned-hall.jpeg

KU Engineering Complex

Wegner-720x480-2.jpg

Ask and ye shall receive:

Yes and no.

But the faculty does not care about that, because they don't get that IF WSU, OSU, PAC 2 loses CFP, Selection committee representation by no longer having Schultz, Chun on those things, that that WOULD HURT WSU, OSU, PAC 2, ATHLETICALLY, WHICH WOULD HURT WSU, OSU, PAC 2 FINANCIALLY, WHICH WOULD EVENTUALLY HURT WSU'S ENROLLMENT, ACADEMIC FINANCIAL COFFERS, AND HURT WSU'S ACADEMIC RANKING, AND HURT WSU'S ACADEMIC OFFERINGS, AND WOULD HURT WSU'S TIER 1 ACADEMIC RESEARCH, AND WOULD HURT EVERYTHING THAT THE FACULTY WANTS.

AND THOSE WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF, HIRED SCHULTZ, ETC, DO KNOW HOW CRITICAL IT IS THAT SCHULTZ AND CHUN CONTINUE TO SIT ON CFP, SELECTION COMMITTEE.
Uh, all the above have already happened under Schulz. And the CFP is set for the next 2 years. Schulz or no Schulz. And WSU's President sits on the CFP Board, not Schulz specifically. And Chun was never mentioned in the faculty statement. "Administration" does not necessarily mean Chun. And being on the selection Committee? So what he can singlehandedly get WSU into the playoffs? Sure.

But glad that you know better than hundreds of esteemed faculty about all things WSU.

Uh, all the above have already happened under Schulz. And the CFP is set for the next 2 years. Schulz or no Schulz. And WSU's President sits on the CFP Board, not Schulz specifically. And Chun was never mentioned in the faculty statement. "Administration" does not necessarily mean Chun. And being on the selection Committee? So what he can singlehandedly get WSU into the playoffs? Sure.

But glad that you know better than hundreds of esteemed faculty about all things WSU.

Again you didn't read or see or understand something I said.

I SAID I AGREED WITH THE FACULTY, THAT THEY ARE AT LEAST PARTIALLY, MOSTLY RIGHT ABOUT SCHULTZ, THAT SHULTZ DOES NEED TO BE REPLACED.

It's just that they need to wait AT LEAST ABOUT 9 MONTHS, make sure that Schultz is either replaced by a WSU Admin on the CFP committee, OR can be replaced by a new WSU president on the CFP committee BEFORE THEY FIRE SCHULTZ.

THEY SHOULD NOT FIRE SCHULTZ RIGHT NOW, THAT WOULD BE A MISTAKE.

Again you didn't read or see or understand something I said.

I SAID I AGREED WITH THE FACULTY, THAT THEY ARE AT LEAST PARTIALLY, MOSTLY RIGHT ABOUT SCHULTZ, THAT SHULTZ DOES NEED TO BE REPLACED.

It's just that they need to wait AT LEAST ABOUT 9 MONTHS, make sure that Schultz is either replaced by a WSU Admin on the CFP committee, OR can be replaced by a new WSU president on the CFP committee BEFORE THEY FIRE SCHULTZ.

THEY SHOULD NOT FIRE SCHULTZ RIGHT NOW, THAT WOULD BE A MISTAKE.
Oh? I didn't read, see or understand that when you posted 2,3,4,5 years you really meant 9 months? What an idiot I am.

Mik posted: WSU needs to stick with Schultz, Chun for the next 2,3,4,5 years
Edit: in fairness, I misspoke about Schulz and the CFP. It's a Pac-2 President that sits on it, with Schulz being the current rep for the league. So yes if he were fired that post might go to OSU's President.

Loyal misspoke: And WSU's President sits on the CFP Board, not Schulz specifically.

Last edited:
Oh? I didn't read, see or understand that when you posted 2,3,4,5 years you really meant 9 months? What an idiot I am.

Mik posted: WSU needs to stick with Schultz, Chun for the next 2,3,4,5 years
Edit: in fairness, I misspoke about Schulz and the CFP. It's a Pac-2 President that sits on it, with Schulz being the current rep for the league. So yes if he were fired that post might go to OSU's President.

Loyal misspoke: And WSU's President sits on the CFP Board, not Schulz specifically.

You missed the point, and still missing the point that as long as WSU waits about 9 months, 1 , 2,3,4,5 years as a range, long enough for WSU, OSU, PAC 2 to rebuild PAC, have CFP board, committee representation by a WSU Admin, etc, THEN THEY CAN FIRE SCHULTZ, AND SHOULD PROBABLY FIRE SCHULTZ.

THE POINT BEING THAT AS LONG AS THEY DONT FIRE SCHULTZ RIGHT NOW WITHIN HOURS, A FEW DAYS, A FEW WEEKS, 1 MONTH, ETC, AND WAIT ABOUT 9 MONTHS, 1,2,3,4,5 YEARS, THAT OVERALL, I AGREE WITH THE FACULTY, THAT SHULTZ IS PROBABLY TO BLAME AND CAN, PROBABLY SHOULD BE FIRED EVENTUALLY AFTER THEY WAIT AWHILE.

Housing is the big factor now.

You missed the point, and still missing the point that as long as WSU waits about 9 months, 1 , 2,3,4,5 years as a range, long enough for WSU, OSU, PAC 2 to rebuild PAC, have CFP board, committee representation by a WSU Admin, etc, THEN THEY CAN FIRE SCHULTZ, AND SHOULD PROBABLY FIRE SCHULTZ.

THE POINT BEING THAT AS LONG AS THEY DONT FIRE SCHULTZ RIGHT NOW WITHIN HOURS, A FEW DAYS, A FEW WEEKS, 1 MONTH, ETC, AND WAIT ABOUT 9 MONTHS, 1,2,3,4,5 YEARS, THAT OVERALL, I AGREE WITH THE FACULTY, THAT SHULTZ IS PROBABLY TO BLAME AND CAN, PROBABLY SHOULD BE FIRED EVENTUALLY AFTER THEY WAIT AWHILE.
Mik, It's so much fun to pick your ramblings apart.

First, if you knew anything about Higher Ed in general and WSU in specific, you would know that Schulz isn't going to get fired in hours, days, weeks or a month over a faculty article.

Second, wait anywhere from 9 months to 5 years? That's quite a range. And 9 months is a little ambitious to rebuild the Pac-2. And Board representation is Presidents, not "Admins".

Housing is the big factor now.

Yeah. $16,500 for WSU vs $17,900 for UW seems a bit "close". Of course, WSU's freshman live on rule, with dining, helps inflate our costs. And watch for those mandatory fees - WSU loves 'em. $196/year for the yearbook? $240/year to support the CUB? Hmmmm

Edit: I thought the "Chinook" fee was for the yearbook. Turns out the "Chinook" is a relatively new (2017) student center/pseudo rec area housed in the old Bookie building. News to me.

Side comment on housing - Pullman continues to build apartments, and the dorms and frats aren't going anywhere. Seems like this enrollment decline is going to come to roost eventually. I remember way back when (before your time Gibby) when there was an enrollment shortfall and sort of a crash in off-campus housing. Lots of vacancies. The good news was that it did weed out some of the slum apartments and houses.

Last edited:

What is the V&E program? Is that the wine thing, can't recall the proper word for it.

My niece had the honor of being one of 60 students in the initial class of the Med School. AFAIK, they are still having 60 per class, which would be 140 total in the program. However, unless they have modified things, the first two years are are primarily spent on campus in Spokane, with periodic forays out into the communities at the four locations of Spokane, Everett, Vancouver, and Tri Cities. Then years 3 & 4 are primary spent out in hospitals and clinics in the four cities, with occasional returns to the Spokane campus. So you are close in that there is around 100 students in Spokane, but the total program should be 230-240 students.

And IMO, whoever is the head of the university should be based in Pullman, the largest campus, student population, and faculty/staff population that WSU has. Perhaps they should consider what happened to Boeing when Stonecipher moved the headquarters to Chicago, away from the core of the company. It did NOT work out well!

What is the V&E program? Is that the wine thing, can't recall the proper word for it.

My niece had the honor of being one of 60 students in the initial class of the Med School. AFAIK, they are still having 60 per class, which would be 140 total in the program. However, unless they have modified things, the first two years are are primarily spent on campus in Spokane, with periodic forays out into the communities at the four locations of Spokane, Everett, Vancouver, and Tri Cities. Then years 3 & 4 are primary spent out in hospitals and clinics in the four cities, with occasional returns to the Spokane campus. So you are close in that there is around 100 students in Spokane, but the total program should be 230-240 students.

And IMO, whoever is the head of the university should be based in Pullman, the largest campus, student population, and faculty/staff population that WSU has. Perhaps they should consider what happened to Boeing when Stonecipher moved the headquarters to Chicago, away from the core of the company. It did NOT work out well!
Viticulture and Enology - V&E.....

And Schulz moving to the TC is absolute BS. Can't beleive regents (pussies) let that happen.

You may be right about the total number of students...but even if it's 500 (and it's not), the amount of resources being poured into that program isn't really well justified based on the enrollment. Especially when they're continuing to tell other programs to cut their budgets.

It’s not hard. Majority of degrees offer little value in the current workplace. Most people can start entry level roles at standard and technical jobs and be better off @ year 4 of employment than you will with a degree and no experience at age 22.

Many fields you are better off getting a technical certificate and beginning work 2-3 years earlier.

Not to mention trades offer folks the ability to earn and learn and come out way ahead.

I earned my MBA in 4.5 months online with unrestricted class schedule, because I wanted to get it done and work allowed me to.

Modern college for many folks just doesn’t provide any return anymore. Or at least any better return than earning a bachelor online in 1/2 the time for same entry level jobs, or technical cert etc.

WSU should focus heavily on Tech, Ag, Vet, Engineering, Biochem, Biology-Med, Business, and have pipelines to strong graduate degrees. Most other stuff there is a waste of time and money. The days of general studies and freshman course requirements should be gone.

I pay 2700/mo just for housing at San Diego State for my daughter Throw in food and OOS tuition and ……..
She is a Kinesiology major and just completed her yoga certification.
I am going to end up paying out the WAZZU for a yoga instructor Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: Coug90
I pay 2700/mo just for housing at San Diego State for my daughter Throw in food and OOS tuition and ……..
She is a Kinesiology major and just completed her yoga certification.
I am going to end up paying out the WAZZU for a yoga instructor Hope I’m wrong.
Yoga instructor to the stars=Big $$$? :)

Reactions: Coug90 and kougkurt
You may be right about the total number of students...but even if it's 500 (and it's not), the amount of resources being poured into that program isn't really well justified based on the enrollment. Especially when they're continuing to tell other programs to cut their budgets.
Definitely not 500 in Med School only, possibly is if you count the Nursing program in there. No idea how many are in the Nursing program. I did get a personal tour of the Nursing program a few years ago and was impressed with the facilities and methods that I observed.

Relative to the Med school itself, is that a situation where they need to invest money up front in order to start getting research grants and other moneys coming in to the program from Big Health organizations? Not throwing that out as an argument supporting the program, just wondering if that is the case. What are thoughts and ideas on that?

Definitely not 500 in Med School only, possibly is if you count the Nursing program in there. No idea how many are in the Nursing program. I did get a personal tour of the Nursing program a few years ago and was impressed with the facilities and methods that I observed.

Relative to the Med school itself, is that a situation where they need to invest money up front in order to start getting research grants and other moneys coming in to the program from Big Health organizations? Not throwing that out as an argument supporting the program, just wondering if that is the case. What are thoughts and ideas on that?
At this point, they don't even have any research faculty. It's purely administration of the academic program.

turning our university into an online diploma mill is a great idea. outstanding work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT