ADVERTISEMENT

Schulz on Athletics in WSU Mag

Ugh, that was painful.

"We are not going to spend the same amount of money on athletics that we have for the last decade."

Well, that's a wrap for me. I mean, we were already spending peanuts compared to P5 schools, and barely the same as the top half of G5 schools. Now that's going to be even LESS? And you think you can be competitive in D1 athletics by being the cheapest G5 school?

Again, I'm over football. We're not good, we apparently don't have plans to be nor will the school allocate the resources to get to the top of even the MWC, so f it. Congrats Loyal, you get your wet dream of being a doormat in the MWC now, but hey - the games and destinations will be "fun"!!!!! But I digress...

This sucks for the women's sports. Big time. While the pie is apparently going to shrink considerably, the football team is still going to get the lion's share of it leaving even less for the women. I say we go full UConn and dump all the big time D1 dollars into the sports that we can be competitive in, WVB and WBB. FB and MBB can ride a bus to all their away games, f it. Lets go full Major League with the austerity measures, Kirk.

Ugh, that was painful.

"We are not going to spend the same amount of money on athletics that we have for the last decade."

Well, that's a wrap for me. I mean, we were already spending peanuts compared to P5 schools, and barely the same as the top half of G5 schools. Now that's going to be even LESS? And you think you can be competitive in D1 athletics by being the cheapest G5 school?

Again, I'm over football. We're not good, we apparently don't have plans to be nor will the school allocate the resources to get to the top of even the MWC, so f it. Congrats Loyal, you get your wet dream of being a doormat in the MWC now, but hey - the games and destinations will be "fun"!!!!! But I digress...

This sucks for the women's sports. Big time. While the pie is apparently going to shrink considerably, the football team is still going to get the lion's share of it leaving even less for the women. I say we go full UConn and dump all the big time D1 dollars into the sports that we can be competitive in, WVB and WBB. FB and MBB can ride a bus to all their away games, f it. Lets go full Major League with the austerity measures, Kirk.
When you have a tiny budget, like the womens teams do, there isn't much to cut.

My assumptions: Non-coach administrative staff will get slashed. That will mainly impact football. Once coaches leave their replacements will be making considerably less. No more hotels for the football team for home games. I'm not sure how to lower travel expenses, but that will have to be on the table. Recruiting budgets.

Not a surprise. This is close to, and virtually the same on key points, as his "letter to Coug nation" a month and a half ago or whatever it was that people seemed to like but I read as a white flag and posted as much here. Long has been clear to me, at least, that Schulz is not going to really go to the mat to try to preserve P5 status. For a while, I had a little hope due to the legal strategy -- not in and of itself, but with the hope some favorable rulings could be leveraged at the institutional / business level -- but that seems out the window. To preemptively clarify, since this seems to trigger some people, no, I'm not saying it would be easy, or feasible at all (subject to facts none of us have, or had), to do something like try to leverage the right people to get WSU in the Big 12. I'm saying that there's virtually no reason to think Schulz seriously explored other conferences before the Pac-12 imploded, nor to think that he is or wants to be the guy to play hardball and try to do what it would take, likely quite a bit if feasible at all, to try to make something like that happen.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
Not a surprise. This is close to, and virtually the same on key points, as his "letter to Coug nation" a month and a half ago or whatever it was that people seemed to like but I read as a white flag and posted as much here. Long has been clear to me, at least, that Schulz is not going to really go to the mat to try to preserve P5 status. For a while, I had a little hope due to the legal strategy -- not in and of itself, but with the hope some favorable rulings could be leveraged at the institutional / business level -- but that seems out the window. To preemptively clarify, since this seems to trigger some people, no, I'm not saying it would be easy, or feasible at all (subject to facts none of us have, or had), to do something like try to leverage the right people to get WSU in the Big 12. I'm saying that there's virtually no reason to think Schulz seriously explored other conferences before the Pac-12 imploded, nor to think that he is or wants to be the guy to play hardball and try to do what it would take, likely quite a bit if feasible at all, to try to make something like that happen.
You are drawing conclusions with zero evidence to support them. I still maintain that there was nothing that could be done to prevent this

You are drawing conclusions with zero evidence to support them. I still maintain that there was nothing that could be done to prevent this
Sigh. There's a great deal of empirical evidence to support my assertions, which, once more, are about the type of person he has demonstrated himself to be, not a specific course of action he may or may have not taken that none of us, including you, would have any idea about. Much more than "zero." No, I will not run through it again or further engage with you here.

Ugh, that was painful.

Oh F you. It was never a wet dream, just the obvious and only move there was/is. Excuse me for being realistic.

I suppose you would prefer a nice jaunt to Cincinnati or Morgantown over San Diego and LV? Even Reno is kind of fun. Went to a game there many years ago. Beer in stands, such as they were. I was in my full Coug gear the next day as we went to some hot air balloon thing - everybody thought I was a coach. Same thing happened in Mazatlan. My Coug wardrobe is quite impressive.

And why would we be a doormat in the Pac-14?

Reactions: LeachPack
Oh F you. It was never a wet dream, just the obvious and only move there was/is. Excuse me for being realistic.

I suppose you would prefer a nice jaunt to Cincinnati or Morgantown over San Diego and LV? Even Reno is kind of fun. Went to a game there many years ago. Beer in stands, such as they were. I was in my full Coug gear the next day as we went to some hot air balloon thing - everybody thought I was a coach. Same thing happened in Mazatlan. My Coug wardrobe is quite impressive.

And why would we be a doormat in the Pac-14?
pay attention:

We suck already and funding is decreasing. I'm not a football genius like you and Biggs obviously are, but those two things don't usually add up to a stack of wins regardless of where you play. But thanks for verifying that you think we'll be a big fish in a little pond.

pay attention:

We suck already and funding is decreasing. I'm not a football genius like you and Biggs obviously are, but those two things don't usually add up to a stack of wins regardless of where you play. But thanks for verifying that you think we'll be a big fish in a little pond.
Our current budget would top the Mtn West. Far above most of them.

Interesting article on the Mtn West schools' finances. They all turned a profit last year except SDSU? (link below). And where the hell did all their money come from with a big fat media deal?

And yes, they do manage to beat Pac-12 teams on occasion - like in the Jimmy Kimmel Bowl.

Edit: and they ALL have more sports than WSU. huh.

Our current budget would top the Mtn West. Far above most of them.

Interesting article on the Mtn West schools' finances. They all turned a profit last year except SDSU? (link below). And where the hell did all their money come from with a big fat media deal?

And yes, they do manage to beat Pac-12 teams on occasion - like in the Jimmy Kimmel Bowl.

Edit: and they ALL have more sports than WSU. huh.

Except our current budget is going to get slashed per Schulz.

If WSU joins the MWC, WSU will not be a doormat.

The only colleges that would REGULARLY, consistently challenge, compete, semi sometimes semi consistently semi sometimes beat WSU, would be BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, Utah St, in football. WSU would probably consistently go 7-5, 8-4, medium bowl game at worst, 9-3, 10-2, good bowl game at average, 11-1, good bowl, NY6, maybe even CFP at best. Airforce, CSU, Wyoming, etc. would Semi rarely, uncommonly, UNCONSISTENTLY beat WSU, once in a super great while, as a upset.

In Bball, SDSU, BSU, Fresno St, UNLV, New Mexico St, Utah St, Airforce, would be good competition, and WSU would win about 18,19,20,21,22,23,24 wins, NIT, NCAA tournament EVERY SEASON, except once every about 7 to 10 to 13 seasons.

That said, it does sound a little tiny bit semi conceding, semi downing, semi give upish.

The other part that doesn't make sense about the spending less money, is that most experts, facts, evidence, logic, reason, etc, seems to show, etc, that on Nov 14, that:

1. WSU either gets a good settlement, money, control of PAC wise.

2. Wins a 3 month to 6 month to 9 month to 1 year to 18 month fight in courts and get the 150-300 million PAC money, and control over PAC.

That's means that WSU would probably get enough money, that WSU would not have to spend less or spend a lot less.

Although there is about a 9% to 13% to 17% chance that WSU would not get the money or control of PAC, etc, does Kirk have to be such a Debbie Downer, and prepare WSU fans for the unlikely What if, worst case scenarios, and tell us fans that not only might have to spend less, etc, that will spend less period.

WSU might have to spend less, but Kirk doesn't know that yet. WSU might not have to spend less.

A better way would have been to say that either .MIGHT have to spend less, or that if don't win court case, settlement, get the money, control of PAC, etc, then have to spend less, or don't say anything about spending less, and just WAIT AND SEE IF WIN COURT CASE, SETTLEMENT, GET MONEY, CONTROL PAC, ETC, AND THEN SAY WHETHER OR NOT HAVE TO SPEND LESS.

Saying now is PREMATURE. It's bad, and it can cause players to leave WSU, and can hurt RECRUITING, as PLAYERS, RECRUITS will either DIRECTLY LISTEN, HEAR, GET TOLD BY FELLOW STUDENTS, ATHLETES, PLAYERS, FRIENDS, MEDIA, OTHER COLLEGES, COACHES OF OTHER COLLEGES.

And can lose some fans, donation money, fan attendance, etc

Kirks words were definitely not worded right, good, etc, at best.

At average, worst more incompetence, not being smart, etc, by Kirk.

And Chun, and professional public relations, marketing salespeople either need to advise Kirk or advise Kirk better.

Don't bother Loyal with details. Even if they are obvious.
I have supplied more F-ing details in this thread than you have in your entire WW tenure. How about you go research San Jose State and answer the question of how they pull off 22 sports on $39 million?

And what, as usual Gibby, is your point? What is obvious? That we will spend less money than before? How much less?

Start by cutting out a large of handful of non-sports staff as I have articulated, with details, previously. Our non-sports staff has ballooned in recent years. Football staff too, they could skim an off-field person or two. Let's start there.

Speaking of details, should we go back to the thread where you mistakenly attributed NCAA Basketball distributions to Football playoff revenues? But don't bother you with details or facts.

I have supplied more F-ing details in this thread than you have in your entire WW tenure. How about you go research San Jose State and answer the question of how they pull off 22 sports on $39 million?

And what, as usual Gibby, is your point? What is obvious? That we will spend less money than before? How much less?

Start by cutting out a large of handful of non-sports staff as I have articulated, with details, previously. Our non-sports staff has ballooned in recent years. Football staff too, they could skim an off-field person or two. Let's start there.

Speaking of details, should we go back to the thread where you mistakenly attributed NCAA Basketball distributions to Football playoff revenues? But don't bother you with details or facts.

I don't care how SJSU does it.

The real question is why do yo want WSU to be SJSU?

I kinda think Gibs might have been supporting you there? I could be wrong, i suppose.

Cut baseball. Not for it, but it keeps title ix numbers compliant and helps with the budget. That’s all I have to say about that.

I don't care how SJSU does it.

The real question is why do yo want WSU to be SJSU?
What about your Football vs Basketball distribution Faux Pax? Still waiting for the Mea Culpa.

No I don't want WSU to be SJSU. So F your "why do you want" BS. But maybe we should see how all these Mtn West schools can turn a profit. Look at their staffing, etc. Yeah our debt load is a downer.

I was starting to like you a while back. Now, not so much. You bring nothing to the table except you smarmy-ass one liners.

I kinda think Gibs might have been supporting you there? I could be wrong, i suppose.

Cut baseball. Not for it, but it keeps title ix numbers compliant and helps with the budget. That’s all I have to say about that.
Nope. That would swing us the other way, Title IX-wise. Can't then cut a women's program, because that would put us out of compliance with NCAA Division 1 requirements.

What about your Football vs Basketball distribution Faux Pax? Still waiting for the Mea Culpa.

No I don't want WSU to be SJSU. So F your "why do you want" BS. But maybe we should see how all these Mtn West schools can turn a profit. Look at their staffing, etc. Yeah our debt load is a downer.

I was starting to like you a while back. Now, not so much. You bring nothing to the table except you smarmy-ass one liners.
Well, you're the one bringing basketball into a football discussion. And please tell me where part a. below says basketball? And just to make sure your dunce cap fits snugly, basketball does nothing to drive realignment. Realignment is all about football.

"Conference realignment:
a. If an institution leaves a conference to join another conference or becomes independent, while the former conference remains in operation, the units previously earned by the institution remain with the former conference.

If WSU joins the MWC, WSU will not be a doormat.

The only colleges that would REGULARLY, consistently challenge, compete, semi sometimes semi consistently semi sometimes beat WSU, would be BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, Utah St, in football. WSU would probably consistently go 7-5, 8-4, medium bowl game at worst, 9-3, 10-2, good bowl game at average, 11-1, good bowl, NY6, maybe even CFP at best. Airforce, CSU, Wyoming, etc. would Semi rarely, uncommonly, UNCONSISTENTLY beat WSU, once in a super great while, as a upset.

In Bball, SDSU, BSU, Fresno St, UNLV, New Mexico St, Utah St, Airforce, would be good competition, and WSU would win about 18,19,20,21,22,23,24 wins, NIT, NCAA tournament EVERY SEASON, except once every about 7 to 10 to 13 seasons.

That said, it does sound a little tiny bit semi conceding, semi downing, semi give upish.

The other part that doesn't make sense about the spending less money, is that most experts, facts, evidence, logic, reason, etc, seems to show, etc, that on Nov 14, that:

1. WSU either gets a good settlement, money, control of PAC wise.

2. Wins a 3 month to 6 month to 9 month to 1 year to 18 month fight in courts and get the 150-300 million PAC money, and control over PAC.

That's means that WSU would probably get enough money, that WSU would not have to spend less or spend a lot less.

Although there is about a 9% to 13% to 17% chance that WSU would not get the money or control of PAC, etc, does Kirk have to be such a Debbie Downer, and prepare WSU fans for the unlikely What if, worst case scenarios, and tell us fans that not only might have to spend less, etc, that will spend less period.

WSU might have to spend less, but Kirk doesn't know that yet. WSU might not have to spend less.

A better way would have been to say that either .MIGHT have to spend less, or that if don't win court case, settlement, get the money, control of PAC, etc, then have to spend less, or don't say anything about spending less, and just WAIT AND SEE IF WIN COURT CASE, SETTLEMENT, GET MONEY, CONTROL PAC, ETC, AND THEN SAY WHETHER OR NOT HAVE TO SPEND LESS.

Saying now is PREMATURE. It's bad, and it can cause players to leave WSU, and can hurt RECRUITING, as PLAYERS, RECRUITS will either DIRECTLY LISTEN, HEAR, GET TOLD BY FELLOW STUDENTS, ATHLETES, PLAYERS, FRIENDS, MEDIA, OTHER COLLEGES, COACHES OF OTHER COLLEGES.

And can lose some fans, donation money, fan attendance, etc

Kirks words were definitely not worded right, good, etc, at best.

At average, worst more incompetence, not being smart, etc, by Kirk.

And Chun, and professional public relations, marketing salespeople either need to advise Kirk or advise Kirk better.
There are no "good bowl games" for the MWC. Their tie-ins suck.

- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs MAC
- Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl vs Pac-12
- New Mexico Bowl vs Conference USA
- Barstool Arizona Bowl vs MAC
- EasyPost Hawai’i Bowl vs American Athletic

Mountain West has an affiliation to fill if needed ...
- Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs Big Ten or Big 12

To be determined among the Group of Five conferences ...
- Duluth Trading Co. Cure Bowl vs Group of Five
- Frisco Bowl vs Group of Five
- RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl vs Group of Five
- SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs Group of Five

Tell me which one of those you'd consider a "good" bowl.

The payouts, in order, are: $800k, N/A, $1M, $350k,$1.2M, $1.625M, $573k, $650k, $900k, $825k.

All of those are net negatives when considering the cost of actually attending a bowl, though no doubt the band and cheerleaders will have to hold bake sales and car washes to foot their own bill now.

Actually $850,000. Good job looking that up before posting. You guys kill me. And yes the Mtn West coaches make a lot less than Dickert.

Speaking of which, I'm doubting he's going to accept a 40% reduction in his salary because he's a good guy and wants to do Schulz and Chun a solid. So yeah...

You've gone through all the MWC schools athletics budgets and can state as a fact that they all operate in the black? ZERO deficit spending, all above board? I'm not doubting that can be done, just whether or not you happen to know this for a fact.

Dickert is making $2.7 million according to this.

Right. And the top MWC (the last I checked) was making $1.5M, roughly 40% less. And the vibes I'm getting from Schulz is that they have no plans on joining in the MWC "arms race" of over-paying coaches. What that means when the smoke all settles is anyone's guess, but I'd ballpark our HC salary cap at $1M? You know, just to prove that we can still put out a shitty product without having to over pay for it....

Well, you're the one bringing basketball into a football discussion. And please tell me where part a. below says basketball? And just to make sure your dunce cap fits snugly, basketball does nothing to drive realignment. Realignment is all about football.

"Conference realignment:
a. If an institution leaves a conference to join another conference or becomes independent, while the former conference remains in operation, the units previously earned by the institution remain with the former conference.
Well first, if you read the entire document, a. is under the basketball distribution portion. And yes while BB does not drive realignment, NCAA BB tournament distributions account for a sizable % of the money we get. And is at the crux of our lawsuit = at least the financial part.

And no shit sherlock on football driving realignment (and everything else).

So just break down and give me your mea culpa and let's move on.

You've gone through all the MWC schools athletics budgets and can state as a fact that they all operate in the black? ZERO deficit spending, all above board? I'm not doubting that can be done, just whether or not you happen to know this for a fact.
Uh yeah, and I already linked that info. Here it is again.

Well first, if you read the entire document, a. is under the basketball distribution portion. And yes while BB does not drive realignment, NCAA BB tournament distributions account for a sizable % of the money we get. And is at the crux of our lawsuit = at least the financial part.

And no shit sherlock on football driving realignment (and everything else).

So just break down and give me your mea culpa and let's move on.
You copied and pasted some crap you got from somewhere. And somehow the rest of the world is supposed to understand that you're bringing basketball into a football discussion.

Right. And the top MWC (the last I checked) was making $1.5M, roughly 40% less. And the vibes I'm getting from Schulz is that they have no plans on joining in the MWC "arms race" of over-paying coaches. What that means when the smoke all settles is anyone's guess, but I'd ballpark our HC salary cap at $1M? You know, just to prove that we can still put out a shitty product without having to over pay for it....
Well that is a ridiculous comment. And you are off on your Mtn West coaches salaries. See link below and look for UNLV and Fresno.

And to your other post (baseball). Follow closely. A previous post talked about cutting women's tennis, and another talked about cutting baseball.

Neither works. Women's participation is 47%. Don't know what wiggle room Title IX gives, it is supposed to be 50/50. So cut Women's tennis? A non starter, that would throw WSU out of compliance. Cut Baseball?, no, that would swing us in the other direction (Title IX cuts both ways), which would mean cutting a women's sport to even it up. Thus putting us at 13 teams and below Division 1 requirements.

Does that clear it up for you?

You copied and pasted some crap you got from somewhere. And somehow the rest of the world is supposed to understand that you're bringing basketball into a football discussion.
I linked the entire NCAA document, AND copied and pasted the relevant part. Far from "some crap".

And the distribution money from BB is relevant. It supposedly is about $50 million, which would revert to OSU and WSU if we win. And follows the NCAA guidance that I provided.

So it is not "just" about Football. It is about money.

Just give me the Mea Culpa and be done with it.

Title IX does not require particular numbers of women's or men's teams, per se. It imposes requirements tied to proportionate opportunities reflecting the representation of men and women, respectively, in the student body. It also requires scholarship dollars to be be proportionate.

Well that is a ridiculous comment. And you are off on your Mtn West coaches salaries. See link below and look for UNLV and Fresno.

And to your other post (baseball). Follow closely. A previous post talked about cutting women's tennis, and another talked about cutting baseball.

Neither works. Women's participation is 47%. Don't know what wiggle room Title IX gives, it is supposed to be 50/50. So cut Women's tennis? A non starter, that would throw WSU out of compliance. Cut Baseball?, no, that would swing us in the other direction (Title IX cuts both ways), which would mean cutting a women's sport to even it up. Thus putting us at 13 teams and below Division 1 requirements.

Does that clear it up for you?
Compliance isn't a light switch and either you are or aren't, that's not how it works.

Title IX does not require particular numbers of women's or men's teams, per se. It imposes requirements tied to proportionate opportunities reflecting the representation of men and women, respectively, in the student body. It also requires scholarship dollars to be be proportionate.

Thank you.

There are no "good bowl games" for the MWC. Their tie-ins suck.

- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs MAC
- Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl vs Pac-12
- New Mexico Bowl vs Conference USA
- Barstool Arizona Bowl vs MAC
- EasyPost Hawai’i Bowl vs American Athletic

Mountain West has an affiliation to fill if needed ...
- Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs Big Ten or Big 12

To be determined among the Group of Five conferences ...
- Duluth Trading Co. Cure Bowl vs Group of Five
- Frisco Bowl vs Group of Five
- RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl vs Group of Five
- SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs Group of Five

Tell me which one of those you'd consider a "good" bowl.

The payouts, in order, are: $800k, N/A, $1M, $350k,$1.2M, $1.625M, $573k, $650k, $900k, $825k.

All of those are net negatives when considering the cost of actually attending a bowl, though no doubt the band and cheerleaders will have to hold bake sales and car washes to foot their own bill now.

The LA Bowl, Arizona Bowl, Hawai Bowl, the 1 Mil, 1.2 mil, 1.6 mil bowls.

The rest of the bowls are trash bowls.

Also with WSU, OSU in MWC, the bowl affiliation probably slightly change, and probably the MWC would probably get 1 semi guaranteed NY6 bowl, as long as the conference champion has at least a 11-2, 10-3 record after winning a conference championship game, and would probably get a 12-0, 11-1, 10-2 conference champion winner into CFP, especially if conference championship game.

And already MWC, AAC teams already goto NY6 bowls like the Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl.

The LA Bowl, Arizona Bowl, Hawai Bowl, the 1 Mil, 1.2 mil, 1.6 mil bowls.

The rest of the bowls are trash bowls.

Also with WSU, OSU in MWC, the bowl affiliation probably slightly change, and probably the MWC would probably get 1 semi guaranteed NY6 bowl, as long as the conference champion has at least a 11-2, 10-3 record after winning a conference championship game, and would probably get a 12-0, 11-1, 10-2 conference champion winner into CFP, especially if conference championship game.

And already MWC, AAC teams already goto NY6 bowls like the Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl.
Keep dreaming, Mik.

WSU and OSU are right where the P4 and the tv networks want them, and there is NO WAY they are sharing any NY6 money with anyone but themselves. The ONLY way G5 teams go to NY6 bowls is if the G5(6) continues to hold a guaranteed playoff spot (unlikely) or somehow finds themselves ranked in the top 12.

I am amazed that anyone could still believe that there is any amount of fairness or fair play that would allow anyone other than the "haves" to sit at the table of college football. The NCAA has already become a defacto farm league for the NFL with NIL and portal, but my guess is that within my lifetime it will become official.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT