ADVERTISEMENT

Seniors coming back

COUGinNCW

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2010
Scanning the roster of players who have contributed I see Woods and Rogers on D, Watson and Rian on the OL, McIntosh at RB and Bell and Jackson at WR.

The way I understand it is they have to come back to WSU to get the extra year of eligibility and can’t grad transfer. I’m not sure if they have to declare for the NFL draft or they can make the decision after the draft is held and Free Agent offers are extended? I see no chance any of the seniors on the WSU roster being drafted but could see a possible chance Woods, Rian and Watson MAY get a free agent offer or tryout.

This could be a good thing for WSU assuming they all want to keep playing football. Lots of schools will lose SRs to the NFL and the idea of 6th year SRs on the OL and at positions of need like LB and WR would be a blessing.

This will be very interesting to see how this all unfolds. This may test the merits of this young coaching staff far more than 2nd half adjustments in the Pac12.

You got guys waiting their turn for a shot, you got guys that have had a ton of game mins logged and are still somewhat productive, you are trying to build a new identity, and you got guys who have zero pro prospects that will want to stick around and take up a spot just to play a children's game and avoid life one more year.

Could be some very difficult conversations in the future for a few of these Vets that have been on the turf for many years. I can think of a few (2 on the D) that the program needs to cut ties with.......in order to get better and grow/develop the younger blood.

This will be very interesting to see how this all unfolds. This may test the merits of this young coaching staff far more than 2nd half adjustments in the Pac12.

You got guys waiting their turn for a shot, you got guys that have had a ton of game mins logged and are still somewhat productive, you are trying to build a new identity, and you got guys who have zero pro prospects that will want to stick around and take up a spot just to play a children's game and avoid life one more year.

Could be some very difficult conversations in the future for a few of these Vets that have been on the turf for many years. I can think of a few (2 on the D) that the program needs to cut ties with.......in order to get better and grow/develop the younger blood.

I will be sick if JR stays another year and it causes someone like Travion to leave.

Reactions: earldacoug

I will be sick if JR stays another year and it causes someone like Travion to leave.
He needs to beat him out.

Reactions: sellas
I agree. Unfortunately this year is probably the hardest year to beat out some much your senior. Don’t want him to leave before he gets a full season, honest shot at it.

Last edited:
My guess on how this plays out is it will be up to the staffs on who gets a 6th year and who doesn’t. Obviously players can opt to move on too. As for JR I’d agree, probably time to turn the page there. Abe’s the only one I see potentially leaving on his own from the group of guys who could be impact players next year. My guess is will be pretty split down the middle w the Srs, half of them back, half of them moving on their own or told their scholarship won’t be renewed for another year. If you have a scholarship imbalance you pick a few incoming guys who are gray shirt candidates, but that’s nothing new.

My guess on how this plays out is it will be up to the staffs on who gets a 6th year and who doesn’t. Obviously players can opt to move on too. As for JR I’d agree, probably time to turn the page there. Abe’s the only one I see potentially leaving on his own from the group of guys who could be impact players next year. My guess is will be pretty split down the middle w the Srs, half of them back, half of them moving on their own or told their scholarship won’t be renewed for another year. If you have a scholarship imbalance you pick a few incoming guys who are gray shirt candidates, but that’s nothing new.
I think there will end up being some additional temporary flexibility in the scholarship limits, first.

Second, I expect it's going to be a smaller issue than many expect. Most seniors - whether currently 4th year or 5th - do not have a future in football. A lot of them will realize that and just move on. Most of the ones who are draft-ready now are going to declare. A couple might be buried on the depth chart behind someone else, and maybe that 6th year allows them to break out. Some are probably on the bubble, and a 6th year might make the difference between being a UFA and being a late round pick.

That last group is going to be offset by a massive group of underclassmen that will come out in 2022. There's going to be 3rd-4th year sophomores and 4th-5th year juniors who decide they're ready.

This will be a set of conversations between staff and players unlike any before and probably unlike any to come, at least until the next pandemic. Lots of dynamics at work. The one thing that is likely to shake out of it all is more experienced depth across the board in the conference. Next season will be the toughest ever for a true freshman to get a lot of PT, regardless of which school they attend.

This will be a set of conversations between staff and players unlike any before and probably unlike any to come, at least until the next pandemic. Lots of dynamics at work. The one thing that is likely to shake out of it all is more experienced depth across the board in the conference. Next season will be the toughest ever for a true freshman to get a lot of PT, regardless of which school they attend.

I am not sure why? You are a starter being challenged? Hey starter, love to have you back. You are a great Coug. To the back-up..."you keeping working hard and progressing you will be a starter."

We will lose at least one qb if not 2.

If those two don’t think they have a chance at winning this job then they should move on to the Big Sky. There has been nothing done on the field to suggest that we shouldn’t have a full blown competition into fall camp for who gets the reigns.

If Im Cooper or Cruz Im in the portal today. Rolo has made his choice. They arent it. Dont invest another minute into a program that doesnt see you as one day being the starter. You have 4 years to play. Go somewhere and play.

If Im a senior Im either coming back or going somewhere to play. Im not going out like this. 4 bullshit games in a bullshit season that, imo, should have been moved to the spring for the best chance at playing all 12.

If Im Cooper or Cruz Im in the portal today. Rolo has made his choice. They arent it. Dont invest another minute into a program that doesnt see you as one day being the starter. You have 4 years to play. Go somewhere and play.

If Im a senior Im either coming back or going somewhere to play. Im not going out like this. 4 bullshit games in a bullshit season that, imo, should have been moved to the spring for the best chance at playing all 12.

Moving to spring would have meant no fall 2021 season.

Reactions: earldacoug

Not to derail a thread, but really...you would after the last game (2nd half of course)? If those guys have any competitive spirit they think they can take the job. Jayden showed flashes of his potential but he in no way locked it up, and if I’m Rolo I’m making that clear.

Reactions: SDCoug
I am not sure why? You are a starter being challenged? Hey starter, love to have you back. You are a great Coug. To the back-up..."you keeping working hard and progressing you will be a starter."

Ed, if I was not clear, I apologize. Let me make another attempt at explaining my logic. Since nobody lost any eligibility this year, a lot of the guys who would have been in their last year under normal conditions will instead be back next year....yes? And since all of those same guys should be better (improved) due to the additional part of a season that we've had, the competitive level should be higher next season. Not just for the roster at WSU, but for pretty much every school, across the board. But many HS seniors coming to college as true frosh will have missed some portion of their senior year, so if anything they are less prepared than usual...and they will be competing in a more competitive landscape that includes a lot of guys who would have used up their eligibility by now, but got an extra year. Long story short, this coming season certainly looks like it will be more difficult than usual for a true frosh to get playing time. At least it seems that way to me, unless I'm missing something.

Ed, if I was not clear, I apologize. Let me make another attempt at explaining my logic. Since nobody lost any eligibility this year, a lot of the guys who would have been in their last year under normal conditions will instead be back next year....yes? And since all of those same guys should be better (improved) due to the additional part of a season that we've had, the competitive level should be higher next season. Not just for the roster at WSU, but for pretty much every school, across the board. But many HS seniors coming to college as true frosh will have missed some portion of their senior year, so if anything they are less prepared than usual...and they will be competing in a more competitive landscape that includes a lot of guys who would have used up their eligibility by now, but got an extra year. Long story short, this coming season certainly looks like it will be more difficult than usual for a true frosh to get playing time. At least it seems that way to me, unless I'm missing something.
This seems likely. One less year of development in high school for a lot of kids, so they're going to be raw.

But, as I said above, I don't think there's going to be as many senior holdovers as a lot of people assume. I think most of the seniors who know they aren't going pro - but who have finished their degree - are going to just get on with their lives. Kids who are potential draftees might hang around for another year of seasoning, or late round kids might hang around to increase their draft stock. Some will stay because they just want to play. But I think the majority will move on.

Related tangent - this is a great opportunity for coaches to look at walk-ons and PWOs. There are going to be more "diamonds in the rough" than usual. Kids who had potential but needed a senior year of football to show that they were the real deal, those who were hurt as juniors...whatever. The coaches who can identify and lure those kids, and then give them the polish they need from that missed season, are the coaches who are going to see the most success in the next 3-4 seasons.

Not to derail a thread, but really...you would after the last game (2nd half of course)? If those guys have any competitive spirit they think they can take the job. Jayden showed flashes of his potential but he in no way locked it up, and if I’m Rolo I’m making that clear.

Coop and Cruz have enough time and effort invested in the program to know whether they are gonna start or not. JDL shows up and starts from day one, takes 99% of the reps, it is clear who Rolo’s guy is. Move on.

Coop and Cruz have enough time and effort invested in the program to know whether they are gonna start or not. JDL shows up and starts from day one, takes 99% of the reps, it is clear who Rolo’s guy is. Move on.
Wasn’t Gordon in Leach’s program quite a while too?
I dunno, but if I’m Coop or Cruz I’m thinking Jayden left the door wide open with that second half shit show Saturday and I’m putting in the work to make sure he’s backing me up next year. Seems a more fruitful path than transferring to some other school that has 2-3 other QBs already with a head start.
Both those guys have big time talent and potential. With the right mindset any of them could be starting next year IMO.

Reactions: SDCoug and kougkurt
Wasn’t Gordon in Leach’s program quite a while too?
I dunno, but if I’m Coop or Cruz I’m thinking Jayden left the door wide open with that second half shit show Saturday and I’m putting in the work to make sure he’s backing me up next year. Seems a more fruitful path than transferring to some other school that has 2-3 other QBs already with a head start.
Both those guys have big time talent and potential. With the right mindset any of them could be starting next year IMO.

With the shit show that was this season... to see Rolo keep putting JDL out there even while looking wildly overmatched, isn't a ringing endorsement for Cruz and Cooper. Why would you roll the dice with another year with Rolo when he has made clear that he is going to play JDL regardless of how well or how poorly he performs?

JDL hasn't had so much as a cup of coffee in the PAC 12 and he shows up, wins a starting job, has a longggg hook... and you think these two kids should stick it out???

Reactions: mikalalas
With the shit show that was this season... to see Rolo keep putting JDL out there even while looking wildly overmatched, isn't a ringing endorsement for Cruz and Cooper. Why would you roll the dice with another year with Rolo when he has made clear that he is going to play JDL regardless of how well or how poorly he performs?

JDL hasn't had so much as a cup of coffee in the PAC 12 and he shows up, wins a starting job, has a longggg hook... and you think these two kids should stick it out???
Here’s a different perspective...

If they don’t think they can beat him out then I don’t want them hanging around.

If coach isn’t opening the position to competition, I have to wonder if we didn’t screw up badly with this hire.

I don’t believe we screwed up the hire. I do believe he will tell the QBs that the position is open and the best guy will be named the starter.

The R&S has a steep learning curve from all I’ve heard and read. Coach simply may not have had a choice but to go with JDL for this fracked up season.

If they don’t think they can beat him out then I don’t want them hanging around.

If coach isn’t opening the position to competition, I have to wonder if we didn’t screw up badly with this hire.

I don’t believe we screwed up the hire. I do believe he will tell the QBs that the position is open and the best guy will be named the starter.

The R&S has a steep learning curve from all I’ve heard and read. Coach simply may not have had a choice but to go with JDL for this fracked up season.

If the HC isnt going to give kids a legit shot to win the job why tf would they stay??? Don’t tell me Im not good enough to play and then never coach me or give me reps.

Two QBs, each with a year to two years of reps with a receiving group, cant beat out a kid that just showed up??? JDL has shown flashes but he isnt that amazing.

I think he picked the guy that knew more plays. Which is sad. Coach your offense and put the best kid out there. Not just the guy with a background in the system that gets overwhelmed in games.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
I agree with Biggs 100% on this, especially with regard to Cooper. He was an early enrollee when he signed, so he’s had 2 spring practices and 2 fall camps before this season to develop, but he was beaten out for the job by a true freshman who had 8 weeks to get ready for the first game. On top of that, Cooper was unable to distance himself from Cruz, another kid who’s younger than him, for the #2 job.

If you’re Cooper’s football life coach, what do you tell him? That there’s still hope he’ll win the job after the 1st year head coach opts to go with the true freshman? In the words of Joe Biden, come on man!

Completely agree with Biggs assessment that it's not about Cooper or Cruz believing they can beat out de Laura, it's whether or not Rolovich is going to have an honest competition for the job.

I've never seen someone get anointed like Jayden has been and he's the least talented starter we've had since Lobbestal/Lopina. Maybe he turns out great, but he throws the ugliest ball of the three scholarship QB's. Why stick around if you aren't being given enough reps with the first team to prove you can be the guy? Particularly in an offense that is about chemistry between the WR's and QB. Jayden taking every meaningful rep he was healthy for despite mediocre play says a lot about Rolo's view on things.

Completely agree with Biggs assessment that it's not about Cooper or Cruz believing they can beat out de Laura, it's whether or not Rolovich is going to have an honest competition for the job.

I've never seen someone get anointed like Jayden has been and he's the least talented starter we've had since Lobbestal/Lopina. Maybe he turns out great, but he throws the ugliest ball of the three scholarship QB's. Why stick around if you aren't being given enough reps with the first team to prove you can be the guy? Particularly in an offense that is about chemistry between the WR's and QB. Jayden taking every meaningful rep he was healthy for despite mediocre play says a lot about Rolo's view on things.

This is the most blatantly false comment I’ve ever read on here.

Jayden is the least talented starter we've had since Lobbestal/Lopina.

You sir have earned legendary status with this post. Leave now and never return.

Reactions: sellas
The timing of the comment is what makes it particularly comical. JDL’s first practice with the team was October 9th. With the practice shutdowns and his positive COVID test, JDL has practiced with the team for approximately 55 days.

Cooper had 2 Fall camps and 2 Spring practices before this season. Under Leach, he never cracked the 3-deeps. This year, he was 3rd on the depth chart some weeks.

But yea, Rolovich isn’t allowing an honest competition for the job.

100% agree with this. They will make their decision and it should be the best for everyone. If they don’t think they can beat out a freshman that just crapped himself to finish the season, best of luck to them. I’m just putting myself in their shoes, why would you bail now? If DeLaura and been lights out, fine...but we did all watch the same half of football Saturday right?

The list isn't very long

• Tuel
  • Halliday
  • Falk
  • Minshew
  • Gordon
In the end, Tuel either had equal to or one less win as starting QB as Lobster.
But perception is everything.
When Tuel was inserted while sick by CPW into the second half of a blow out game in 2011 (Year 4) vs Idaho State and got hurt Blanchette decided to tweet this

Redshirt season! 9 years before it actually happened.

Cooper had 2 Fall camps and 2 Spring practices before this season. Under Leach, he never cracked the 3-deeps. This year, he was 3rd on the depth chart some weeks.

You have said you've seen enough from Cooper to know you don't want him to start. He's moved the ball on all three of his drives this year. Cruz moved it on his one drive (shared with Cooper). What would need to happen for you to think this job should be up for grabs?

You have said you've seen enough from Cooper to know you don't want him to start. He's moved the ball on all three of his drives this year. Cruz moved it on his one drive (shared with Cooper). What would need to happen for you to think this job should be up for grabs?
If JDL had shown more willingness to tuck it, I would have anointed him.
If he refuses to or is told to. Not so much.

The timing of the comment is what makes it particularly comical. JDL’s first practice with the team was October 9th. With the practice shutdowns and his positive COVID test, JDL has practiced with the team for approximately 55 days.

Either JDL is just soooo much better OR Coop and Cruz are awful.

Being a young QB that is third string for a coach that typically starts seniors isnt the indictment of his lack of talent that you think it is. How many qbs ahead of him were in NFL camps? So yeah, maybe third string wasnt as awful as you so inaccurately portray it to be.

If JDL had shown more willingness to tuck it, I would have anointed him.
If he refuses to or is told to. Not so much.
Yeah this x1000 too. Looking back again at the first couple games seemed his decision making on the read was so much better. And he was willing to take off more. If he’s doing that and improves his timing with his receivers, this offense could take off. You never know if it’s the coach or the player but if Rolo is wanting him to be overly cautious that’s silly. What can make Jayden elite is what he can do with his feet. I don’t see him being an elite drop back passer.

Reactions: kougkurt
Yeah this x1000 too. Looking back again at the first couple games seemed his decision making on the read was so much better. And he was willing to take off more. If he’s doing that and improves his timing with his receivers, this offense could take off. You never know if it’s the coach or the player but if Rolo is wanting him to be overly cautious that’s silly. What can make Jayden elite is what he can do with his feet. I don’t see him being an elite drop back passer.

There are NFL gm's that will see his motion and wonder what in the hell he got for coaching. I agree, he isn't going to be a big time passer from what I've seen. The key to his success will be tucking and running.

A running QB just stretches the defense too thin. It adds another dimension to the offense that is justtt a bit too much for the defense to defend well. The more JDL and MB run, the more success you will see in the passing game. If you have a QB that doesn't look like he is gonna be a big time passer, you have to find a way to get the receivers open easier. If that means making the defense defend the run and it keeps the DB's eyes on JDL and MB then that is what you have to do.

Reactions: kougkurt
There are NFL gm's that will see his motion and wonder what in the hell he got for coaching. I agree, he isn't going to be a big time passer from what I've seen. The key to his success will be tucking and running.

A running QB just stretches the defense too thin. It adds another dimension to the offense that is justtt a bit too much for the defense to defend well. The more JDL and MB run, the more success you will see in the passing game. If you have a QB that doesn't look like he is gonna be a big time passer, you have to find a way to get the receivers open easier. If that means making the defense defend the run and it keeps the DB's eyes on JDL and MB then that is what you have to do.

No doubt that a running QB takes some options away from a DC. The tough part is to get a QB who can run, but who can also complete a respectable % of his passes. Many recruits are available who can do one, but not the other. I am relatively high on JdL, because despite some on this board's armchair criticisms of his throwing motion and some issues with the deep throw (neither of which is surprising in a true frosh), I think he is simultaneously a threat to run, hard to corral in the pocket, and has a chance to maybe complete 60% of his throws, particularly when his receivers are paying attention to his escape route. That is a really tough combination to defense...DE's have to think containment over a free wheeling rush, LB's have to pay attention (which they already have to do with a RPO delayed hand off) to a run when they are in a zone...an inside blitz can kill you if you don't manage to bring the QB down...just lots of complications for the DC's strategy.

No doubt that a running QB takes some options away from a DC. The tough part is to get a QB who can run, but who can also complete a respectable % of his passes. Many recruits are available who can do one, but not the other. I am relatively high on JdL, because despite some on this board's armchair criticisms of his throwing motion and some issues with the deep throw (neither of which is surprising in a true frosh), I think he is simultaneously a threat to run, hard to corral in the pocket, and has a chance to maybe complete 60% of his throws, particularly when his receivers are paying attention to his escape route. That is a really tough combination to defense...DE's have to think containment over a free wheeling rush, LB's have to pay attention (which they already have to do with a RPO delayed hand off) to a run when they are in a zone...an inside blitz can kill you if you don't manage to bring the QB down...just lots of complications for the DC's strategy.

We arent armchair QBs in regards to his motion. It’s total crap. Does it work for him? It did in HS. Can it work in the PAC 12? We will find out.

60% passing isn’t good enough. If that’s what he is, WSU will lose.

A running QB doesn’t have to be a house call threat. He just has to move the chains. Run and slide, run out of bounds, just run for however many yards you can get and call it good.

I feel like the days are closing on coaches teaching QBs to throw the ball away if no one is open and the pass rush is closing in. You burned a down. You got 0 yards from it. It didn’t help your offense at all. The days of kids standing back there for 8 Mississsippi’s staring downfield with no one to throw to are ending. It is unreasonable to ask the OL to block that long, it is unreasonable to ask WRs to run around like a Chinese fire drill that long and if everyone is covered that well you have to do something to loosen it up. The QB running the ball is going to be more and more prevalent across HS and college football. You are simply burning up too many downs. You can’t turn 3 downs to get 10 into 2 downs to get 10 cause you refuse to let your QB run.

We arent armchair QBs in regards to his motion. It’s total crap. Does it work for him? It did in HS. Can it work in the PAC 12? We will find out.

60% passing isn’t good enough. If that’s what he is, WSU will lose.

A running QB doesn’t have to be a house call threat. He just has to move the chains. Run and slide, run out of bounds, just run for however many yards you can get and call it good.

I feel like the days are closing on coaches teaching QBs to throw the ball away if no one is open and the pass rush is closing in. You burned a down. You got 0 yards from it. It didn’t help your offense at all. The days of kids standing back there for 8 Mississsippi’s staring downfield with no one to throw to are ending. It is unreasonable to ask the OL to block that long, it is unreasonable to ask WRs to run around like a Chinese fire drill that long and if everyone is covered that well you have to do something to loosen it up. The QB running the ball is going to be more and more prevalent across HS and college football. You are simply burning up too many downs. You can’t turn 3 downs to get 10 into 2 downs to get 10 cause you refuse to let your QB run.

Who fits into those categories? Cam Newton, Marcus Mariota and Johnny Manziel? Coming up with a Heisman caliber QB is not sustainable.

A good albeit extreme example of this is Tebow. The way they designed that offense at Florida using his legs made the passing lanes gigantic for him. He completed like 70% of his passes in his Heisman year...and I’m a Broncos fan, and I can tell you he couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn as a prototypical passer. Having Jalen drop back without play action or discouraging him from taking off is just a waste of his skill set and is going to make it that much more difficult for him to make big plays in the passing game. I still have faith the coaches will get it right with a full offseason.

Someone enlighten me on Coopers throwing motion, because I think it sucks.
I was a bit surprised by it as well considering he’s been in the program 3 years. If Cruz and Cooper stick around it will be interesting to see the spring game if they all get a chance. Also sounds like Xavier Ward may enroll early.

Reactions: CougPatrol
I was a bit surprised by it as well considering he’s been in the program 3 years. If Cruz and Cooper stick around it will be interesting to see the spring game if they all get a chance. Also sounds like Xavier Ward may enroll early.
Yes. XW is enrolling early

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT