ADVERTISEMENT

So I'm watching the Rose Bowl replay

random soul

Hall Of Fame
Dec 23, 2002
because I had to work when the game was on, and aside from Browning, what I'm noticing about UW is basically a confirmation that in order to beat them you have to be able to hit them in the mouth, which by personnel (defense) and scheme (offense) we haven't been able to do in years. Yes Haskins has a bigger arm than Falk or Minshew, and his receivers have more stars next to their names, but look at how much time he gets to throw. Look how effective they were punching that light front right up the gut. Leach needs an inside running game and a quarterback that will use it. It doesn't have to be bread and butter identity, but it has to be respected. Combine it with what he's already got and dang. Without it we'll have to rely on the defense to shut down the UW offense, which requires corners that can play man (on their way) and a defensive line that holds up better at the point of attack (more of a long term project?) Either way, fix these three things and Cal gets easier, Iowa St gets easier, and UW gets easier.

And one side note: watching Ehlinger do the tunnel walk on the promo segment, dude plays like Tebow but looks like W, at least a little.

because I had to work when the game was on, and aside from Browning, what I'm noticing about UW is basically a confirmation that in order to beat them you have to be able to hit them in the mouth, which by personnel (defense) and scheme (offense) we haven't been able to do in years. Yes Haskins has a bigger arm than Falk or Minshew, and his receivers have more stars next to their names, but look at how much time he gets to throw. Look how effective they were punching that light front right up the gut. Leach needs an inside running game and a quarterback that will use it. It doesn't have to be bread and butter identity, but it has to be respected. Combine it with what he's already got and dang. Without it we'll have to rely on the defense to shut down the UW offense, which requires corners that can play man (on their way) and a defensive line that holds up better at the point of attack (more of a long term project?) Either way, fix these three things and Cal gets easier, Iowa St gets easier, and UW gets easier.

I noticed while watching the game that after Browning throws the pick on the 2-point conversion, he runs downfield in pursuit of the Buckeye who made the pick, gets in front of a would-be blocker, turns his back on the guys, slows up and then falls forward as if he's been blocked in the back. Within seconds he's complaining to the ref about a block in the back.
Typical husky shyster.

I noticed while watching the game that after Browning throws the pick on the 2-point conversion, he runs downfield in pursuit of the Buckeye who made the pick, gets in front of a would-be blocker, turns his back on the guys, slows up and then falls forward as if he's been blocked in the back. Within seconds he's complaining to the ref about a block in the back.
Typical husky shyster.

I believe the line was 6.5.

Reactions: random soul
Every AC they dare us to run. So far we have no answer.

Interestingly, I went back 5 years to show what an average game looks like from a yards/turnovers standpoint. Here's an "average" Apple Cup:
  • Score: we lose in a blowout, 38-14.
    • 2018 was the only non-blowout and they could have easily scored another in the 4th
  • Rushing: we rush for 36 net yards. Our leading rusher has 36 yards. Their leading rusher has 143.
  • Passing: we pass for 287 yards, well below our season average.
  • Turnovers: we turn the ball over 4 times, for a TO differential of -3
You could say "but that's not our offense" and that's true. And as much as I'd like to see it, I don't see us ever having a title run.

But after being blown out every year for 5 years (see 4Q comment above) with the EXACT same formula, is it worth exploring random's idea? What is it they say about doing the same thing and expecting different results?
screenshot-1.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT