ADVERTISEMENT

Some Bigs

7ICoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 30, 2003
Just for consideration. Kevin Ndahiro, Idrissa Diallo. First is WSU interest and the second has a WSU offer and is back on the market a former Cal recruit.

Diallo is a former Cal commit. The new Cal coach is still recruiting him and many big schools are now after him, He is originally from Senegal and a top flight recruit. The offer was from the old coaching staff so it is unknown if the current staff has contacted him. Another name is Deng Deng, ,a 6'8 top juco who is still available.I believe that the old staff had contacted him. So these two had not expressed interest in playing at WSU. But perhaps the new staff can change their mind if they are interested.

Deng Deng is probably headed to either Baylor or Nebraska.

The staff also was at Westwind Prep last week. They have a fairly large number of folks that are 6-8 and might help out as well. Dakota and Colton Chambers (Twins I think), Kirk Gunners come to mind. Not sure if they are high Div 1 players or not but might be available.

Another player I always liked was Foster for Raineer Beech. A little undersized but there best big man for all of their famous run in HS on the national level. Rebounds well.

No doubt tons of JC's are around. Kaylen Shane out of Illinois 6-9 260 out of Logan CC is supposed to have a WSU offer.

This post was edited on 4/20 5:55 PM by 7ICoug

This post was edited on 4/21 4:31 PM by 7ICoug

There are juco recruits and there are juco recruits. However Deng Deng made most of the best of the jusco lists. I hope Kent does not take HS recruits who are not D 1 talents,then one gets HS recruits like we did last year.

Re: 2013 HS

Not at all sure that Ike was a bad pickup last year he certainly is a D1 player. Hawkinson also might become a D1 player with limited time he did okay. Sure rebounds fairly well and can pass. Gotta do some project bigs. Hawk is far better in my opinion than Hunter for example.

what ever happened to Richard Peters? He played one year of Juco at Tallahassee,averaging 2.4 pts and 2.8 rbs and sat out a full year due a hip injury. Not sure if he played this year or not.

No need to bring in total stiffs (aka Hunter) just because they are big. A true PG would also be a big get, probably a JC.

I still like Hawkinson down the line. He needs to get stronger but he's an intelligent player that will figure out how he needs to play at this level if he can stay healthy. Most likely not a starter at this level but as long as he continues to progress I don't see anything wrong with a 6-10 backup center that loves being a Coug and probably is doing well in the classroom.
This post was edited on 4/21 7:43 AM by SaveFerris

I will grant you that there are players who will lift weights and get a lot stronger who can make it. These are usually the bigs who are projects.They have to really know how to gain and maintain position on the blocks. Perhaps he will become this type of player. His off season should be spent in the weight room and with overall body conditioning, If he has the "heart" perhaps he can fo it. He is certainly is not a natural athlete. If he improves his overall conditioning he may well abe able to improve not only his strength but his hops ,quickness and speed I wish the kid luck.

I agree and have always liked Hawk. He looks exactly like the kind of big that will develop with practice, hardwork, and be a good contributor when he is a junior and senior.

He's a project but I think worth the risk. It would surprise me if Hawkinson wasn't a hard worker. He seems to have a decent to good wing-span and good hands that are pretty large as well. Seemed in the right place to rebound and has good insticts. He missed a lot of shots but it didn't look like he was taking bad shots. Not very good around the basket yet. When I first saw the high school video I didn't think he warranted an offer but then I looked at his shot, his outlet passes, and overall skill. He has some things to work with. He also seemed like the kind of player that uses his intelligence well on the court and doesn't "over think" (maybe Similar to Robbie Cowgill).

In general I prefer a 6-8" or even 6-7" athletic PF project. I just think they have a higher rate of success but I like what Hawkinson brings to the table. Definitely needs to get stronger hopefully without becoming stiff. With good talent around him I think he can become a solid to good Pac 12 player for 20 or maybe more minutes per game but time will tell.

Hawkinson should have redshirted, as was the original plan when he was recruited. Very skilled, very smart, and wanted to be a Coug. If we could get one kid like him every year, and redshirt them, we would always be in pretty good shape for bigs.

Dick Bennett knew what to do with projects - I would hazard a guess that EK does also.

Perhaps he will mature into a poor man" s Bill Lambier (for us old folks) ?.Lambier, became a hard hat, bring your metal lunch box type of polack player ( forgive me people of polish descent, i mean that as a compliment) who did not take crap from anyone. I loved it when Charles Barkley called him out on a national TV show and the next day Lambier cleaned Barkleys clock in the game After the game, Barkley was quoted as" he was going to take up karate"..For that to happen he needs to get a lot stronger and a lot meaner.Lambier compensated for a lack of outstanding physical ability by playing tough, smart, and using his ability to shoot outside into a long and fruitful pro career.

I was gonna say a poor-man's Kevin Love, but yeah Lambeir's a good example.

Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if they pulled in a couple JC PF/C guys and let Hawk redshirt this year, unless he just gets after it in the weightroom and catches up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT