ADVERTISEMENT

Some prospective regarding transfers and a new coach

Cougsocal

Hall Of Fame
Sep 5, 2010
According to the Clarion Ledger, as of three weeks ago, Mike Leach has had 20 kids transfer out, and he led MSU to its worst record in 13 years in his first season.

Who the hell knows if Rolo can and will get the job done. WSU couldn't afford to hire a "name coach," the preferred option. Actually, the preferred option would have been for "the Pirate," to acknowledge what WSU had done for him, and not abandoned ship in the first place. Regardless, a seamless transitions can be difficult even for "name coaches" the calibre and with the experience of Mike Leach, even when taking over a program loaded on defense, and with string of top 25 recruiting classes behind it. Rolo didn't have that luxury.

I'm certainly going to hope for his success, that's what Cougs do. I'm certainly not going to hope for, or revel in, the opposite, like a number of "leeches" out there seem to be doing.

According to the Clarion Ledger, as of three weeks ago, Mike Leach has had 20 kids transfer out, and he led MSU to its worst record in 13 years in his first season.

Who the hell knows if Rolo can and will get the job done. WSU couldn't afford to hire a "name coach," the preferred option. Actually, the preferred option would have been for "the Pirate," to acknowledge what WSU had done for him, and not abandoned ship in the first place. Regardless, a seamless transitions can be difficult even for "name coaches" the calibre and with the experience of Mike Leach, even when taking over a program loaded on defense, and with string of top 25 recruiting classes behind it. Rolo didn't have that luxury.

I'm certainly going to hope for his success, that's what Cougs do. I'm certainly not going to hope for, or revel in, the opposite, like a number of "leeches" out there seem to be doing.
I agree that there’s too much noise about a couple of guys transferring and people need to put things in perspective. These kids have options that weren’t available 5 years ago. They’re more entitled than ever with social media and everyone kissing their asses from the time they score their first HS TD. It’s gonna happen everywhere.
I appreciate Leach and it was a helluva fun ride but it was time for him to go. He was checked out and nothing was going to prevent that. I am not rooting against him by any means, it’s just my opinion that program in that division of that conference with his scheme isn’t going to yield anything better than 7 wins. Of course I said the Bucs would be 8-8 this year so what do I know...
I’m rooting like hell for Rolo as we all are, but there’s really nothing substantial to say yay or nay yet. I like some things and some things concern me (mostly 3rd quarter meltdowns)

Will just point out Rolovich has had 16 scholarship kids peace out (not sure if the Miss St number includes walk ons or not) and not including a kid who died of an overdose and he still doesn't have the loyalty of the remaining roster. I suspect we'll see at least 4 more kids in the portal before spring ball and a handful more after.

Will just point out Rolovich has had 16 scholarship kids peace out (not sure if the Miss St number includes walk ons or not) and not including a kid who died of an overdose and he still doesn't have the loyalty of the remaining roster. I suspect we'll see at least 4 more kids in the portal before spring ball and a handful more after.

So Rolo WSU could, would, might probably should probably have about 23 to 25 to 27 SCHOLLY players transfer, get suspended, wash out, etc.

And that's just Scholly players.

Thats not counting Walk On's.

So could easily be about 3 to 5 to 7 walk ons as well.

So if count the walk ons as well.

That's about 33 players, who have, an or will have transfered, gotten suspended, washed out, PEACED OUT as you put it, in about 1 and 1/2 years, and after 1 season.

So that's 33 in a extremely short period of time.

9 to 17 would be usual, normal.

But 33? And not only 33, but 33 in such a extreme short period of time?

No Definitely not usuall, normal.

Not even for a Covid, 4 game season mess that Rolo inherited.

And let me get this straight. Mike Leach a NAME, NATIONAL COACH, who has had about 13 to 15 to 17 BOWL GAMES, WINNING SEASONS at both Texas Tech, WSU, had MSU's WORST LOSING SEASON EVER WITH 20, TWENTY TRANSFERS.

So since that happened with Mike Leach losing 20, what would happen with Rolo, who is not a PROVEN HALL OF FAMER COACH, losing about 20 to 23 to 25 to 27 to 30 to 33 players in 1 year?

Doesnt that, wouldnt that mean, seem like that Rolo might do as bad an or worse then Mike Leach?

I'm not saying to be all DOOM AND GLOOM.

But a wee little tiny bit of concern is fair.

So its ok, fair for fans, people to think, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

And be a little concerned.

But naw thats just too rational, reasonable, logical, fair, etc.

So Rolo WSU could, would, might probably should probably have about 23 to 25 to 27 SCHOLLY players transfer, get suspended, wash out, etc.

And that's just Scholly players.

Thats not counting Walk On's.

So could easily be about 3 to 5 to 7 walk ons as well.

So if count the walk ons as well.

That's about 33 players, who have, an or will have transfered, gotten suspended, washed out, PEACED OUT as you put it, in about 1 and 1/2 years, and after 1 season.

So that's 33 in a extremely short period of time.

9 to 17 would be usual, normal.

But 33? And not only 33, but 33 in such a extreme short period of time?

No Definitely not usuall, normal.

Not even for a Covid, 4 game season mess that Rolo inherited.

And let me get this straight. Mike Leach a NAME, NATIONAL COACH, who has had about 13 to 15 to 17 BOWL GAMES, WINNING SEASONS at both Texas Tech, WSU, had MSU's WORST LOSING SEASON EVER WITH 20, TWENTY TRANSFERS.

So since that happened with Mike Leach losing 20, what would happen with Rolo, who is not a PROVEN HALL OF FAMER COACH, losing about 20 to 23 to 25 to 27 to 30 to 33 players in 1 year?

Doesnt that, wouldnt that mean, seem like that Rolo might do as bad an or worse then Mike Leach?

I'm not saying to be all DOOM AND GLOOM.

But a wee little tiny bit of concern is fair.

So its ok, fair for fans, people to think, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

And be a little concerned.

But naw thats just too rational, reasonable, logical, fair, etc.

Why use 1 adjective when you can use 4

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
I’d love to know why is it that many players who seem to get in trouble are Football players. We don’t hear much about baseball, men’s basketball girls BB, soccer and track.. I mean football players seem to love the spotlight.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
I’d love to know why is it that many players who seem to get in trouble are Football players. We don’t hear much about baseball, men’s basketball girls BB, soccer and track.. I mean football players seem to love the spotlight.

For one, there are 100+ football players. About as many as all of the other teams you mentioned, sans track, combined...probability. Oh, and there's that testosterone thing too :) Not to mention, there aren't many, if any, beat reporters for track or even baseball these days to report on slip ups.

I wish Leach nothing but the best, but I think part of the anger is from the reality that the grass is not always greener somewhere else. Erickson is the major exception.
Sherrill: fail
Walden: fail
Price: fail
Leach: TBD

I wish Leach nothing but the best, but I think part of the anger is from the reality that the grass is not always greener somewhere else. Erickson is the major exception.
I wouldn't include Jackie Sherrill on your list. He spent 1 year at WSU and went 3-8, then moved on to Pitt where he went 50-9-1 with three consecutive 11-1 seasons and finishing #2 in the nation two consecutive years. Sherrill also turned around a stagnant Texas A&M program before having a mixed bag of results at Mississippi State.

Price and Walden definitely never matched the success they had at WSU. As you say, Leach is TBD.

Glad Cougar

I wouldn't include Jackie Sherrill on your list. He spent 1 year at WSU and went 3-8, then moved on to Pitt where he went 50-9-1 with three consecutive 11-1 seasons and finishing #2 in the nation two consecutive years. Sherrill also turned around a stagnant Texas A&M program before having a mixed bag of results at Mississippi State.

Price and Walden definitely never matched the success they had at WSU. As you say, Leach is TBD.

Glad Cougar
Jackie Sherrill had a nice run at Pitt .

Reactions: billyjoecamaro
You are confusing Powers with Sherrill.

Jackie Sherrill (who is younger than Joe Biden) still functional and was successful at every stop after he left WSU. Even won a big settlement from the NCAA.
Warren Powers fled to Missouri and failed, ended up selling cars. He's younger than Nancy Pelosi but suffers from Alzheimer's.

Reactions: billyjoecamaro
You are confusing Powers with Sherrill.

Jackie Sherrill (who is younger than Joe Biden) still functional and was successful at every stop after he left WSU. Even won a big settlement from the NCAA.
Warren Powers fled to Missouri and failed, ended up selling cars. He's younger than Nancy Pelosi but suffers from Alzheimer's.

youguys are correct on Sherill. My bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT