ADVERTISEMENT

Source: Former Alabama QB Blake Barnett taking OV to WSU this weekend...

Been able to follow up on this story a little bit more on this story. Been told that this visit has been in the works for a while now, almost dating back to when he left Alabama in September. WSU is legitimate looking for a second quarterback to bring in next fall and while they like Neville, there's definitely been other quarterbacks hearing from WSU in the 2017 class as well but Barnett is definitely a player WSU wants.

It's unclear if there are any other official visits scheduled for the former four-star QB, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him take at least one more before enrolling.

Been able to follow up on this story a little bit more on this story. Been told that this visit has been in the works for a while now, almost dating back to when he left Alabama in September. WSU is legitimate looking for a second quarterback to bring in next fall and while they like Neville, there's definitely been other quarterbacks hearing from WSU in the 2017 class as well but Barnett is definitely a player WSU wants.

It's unclear if there are any other official visits scheduled for the former four-star QB, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him take at least one more before enrolling.

Just say no to this. Hilinski is our guy. If the Oregon kid turns out to be a no-go (not going to re-hash the story there) then we need young QB's, not competition for Hilinski.

Sorry but I don't follow our depth chart that closely. Don't we have others on the roster?

Just say no to this. Hilinski is our guy. If the Oregon kid turns out to be a no-go (not going to re-hash the story there) then we need young QB's, not competition for Hilinski.

Sorry but I don't follow our depth chart that closely. Don't we have others on the roster?
I always think of Brad Otten and how that would have changed things. Price probably made the correct call there given how things worked out 2 years later.

Hilinski has looked good in the few game reps he's had, the JC has been said to show some promise, but I don't know whether either put us into a position to say no to a former 5-star transfer from 'Bama especially if Falk decides to go pro. If Hilinski's the guy he should be able to handle the competition.

Reactions: froropmkr72
I always think of Brad Otten and how that would have changed things. Price probably made the correct call there given how things worked out 2 years later.

Hilinski has looked good in the few game reps he's had, the JC has been said to show some promise, but I don't know whether either put us into a position to say no to a former 5-star transfer from 'Bama especially if Falk decides to go pro. If Hilinski's the guy he should be able to handle the competition.
Exactly this although per my recollection regarding the air Raid it seems to take a lot of reps to get familiar with the offense to run it successfully. From what I understand it's not a plug and play system. What are the odds of someone stepping in and mastering it with one round of spring ball? Seems Hillinski would have a leg up? Sure like what I've seen so far from the kid too!

I have to disagree. On Brand X, Barnett was a 5-star and the #2 QB overall, and he'd have three years to play. It's not like this is a grad transfer who'd just be coming in for a year. If you're excited by what's possible in the Air Raid with a mobile QB who also can sling it, two or three years of this guy running the show isn't something you turn down based on a decent series or two and some spring ball reps from Hilinski. I like Hilinski, but from an outsider's perspective, he probably has the least "pedigree" among WSU and its competition, and right now the roster consists of him and some walk-ons and unknowns after Falk. From Barnett's perspective, as much as some of us like Hilinski, this would likely be one of the most attractive situations to come in and be in a position to win the job, assuming Falk goes to the NFL.

Looking at it from WSU's perspective you bring the kid on campus knowing at least you've that much. Regardless of Falk staying or going (my .02 cents says he stays) last years Apple Cup proved you can never be content with your backup.

If Barnett chooses WSU you could have a Falk, Hilinski/Barnett depth chart OR Hilinski/Barnett battle and if Hilinski were to go down with an injury you've got another proven QB behind him and vise versa.

Anthony Gordon, the late JC quarterback WSU signed in the summer, serves as a good scout team QB and good insurance if the worst should happen. Not a QB that will threaten for playing time or be a deterrent for Barnett coming to WSU.

Looking at it from WSU's perspective you bring the kid on campus knowing at least you've that much. Regardless of Falk staying or going (my .02 cents says he stays) last years Apple Cup proved you can never be content with your backup.

If Barnett chooses WSU you could have a Falk, Hilinski/Barnett depth chart OR Hilinski/Barnett battle and if Hilinski were to go down with an injury you've got another proven QB behind him and vise versa.

Anthony Gordon, the late JC quarterback WSU signed in the summer, serves as a good scout team QB and good insurance if the worst should happen. Not a QB that will threaten for playing time or be a deterrent for Barnett coming to WSU.

Good couple of analyses. Kind of crazy that we are so slim on qb's. I get ancy when we get too many too close together. Some leave.

Reactions: LarsHanson
I'm great with it. Browne coming would be pointless because as noted above, this isn't really a plug and play system. It's about quick decisions and accurate throws, which don't strike me as being Browne's forte anyway. His better bet if he wanted to play in this system would probably be competing at Cal, but I have no idea if they have somebody behind Webb that's looked as solid as Hilinsky. But Barnett is different. He'd have 3 years to compete for the job, and even if he never wins it you end up with one of the best damn scout team qbs in the country (I'm sure with his credentials he's got all the measureables you could want). Between Hilinsky (still my bet to win the job and keep it, he seems really comfortable with the system) Gordon, Barnett, and Neville, now you've almost got a depth chart there. Get a good prospect in the next class and give Neville a redshirt year and suddenly we've gone from being at most two deep to possibly 4, and you have some high level talent for the defensive players to go up against.

I'm great with it. Browne coming would be pointless because as noted above, this isn't really a plug and play system. It's about quick decisions and accurate throws, which don't strike me as being Browne's forte anyway. His better bet if he wanted to play in this system would probably be competing at Cal, but I have no idea if they have somebody behind Webb that's looked as solid as Hilinsky. But Barnett is different. He'd have 3 years to compete for the job, and even if he never wins it you end up with one of the best damn scout team qbs in the country (I'm sure with his credentials he's got all the measureables you could want). Between Hilinsky (still my bet to win the job and keep it, he seems really comfortable with the system) Gordon, Barnett, and Neville, now you've almost got a depth chart there. Get a good prospect in the next class and give Neville a redshirt year and suddenly we've gone from being at most two deep to possibly 4, and you have some high level talent for the defensive players to go up against.

Browne, as has been described previously here, makes the Statue of Liberty look quick. Just say no.

Reactions: earldacoug
You have to start somewhere on the next level recruiting front. Barnett would be Leach's first big name recruit. The job isn't Hilinski's, it wouldn't be Barnett's. It would go to the guy who can run the offense best. Price didn't sign Otten because he gave Chad Davis his word. We paid the price for Price not putting the best interest of the team first.

You have to start somewhere on the next level recruiting front. Barnett would be Leach's first big name recruit. The job isn't Hilinski's, it wouldn't be Barnett's. It would go to the guy who can run the offense best. Price didn't sign Otten because he gave Chad Davis his word. We paid the price for Price not putting the best interest of the team first.
You have a good memory! I remember that very well. That was very frustrating, as a fan, but Price would stick with his word.

I think we lost many games, because of that. Great memory.

Once could argue Tyler Bruggman was Leach's first "big name recruit" at WSU - granted Priester, Martin Jr. were also highly regarded. If Luke Falk declares a year early for the 2017 NFL Draft, you have the most legitimate quarterback competition in Leach's tenure at WSU.

If Falk elects to come back, and Barnett signs, you have arguably not only the best quarterback in the conference but in the country, plus two viable backups to fight for it in 2018 (plus Connor Neville, who could ease into the system with Barnett and Hilinski fighting for the starting spot)

Once could argue Tyler Bruggman was Leach's first "big name recruit" at WSU - granted Priester, Martin Jr. were also highly regarded. If Luke Falk declares a year early for the 2017 NFL Draft, you have the most legitimate quarterback competition in Leach's tenure at WSU.

If Falk elects to come back, and Barnett signs, you have arguably not only the best quarterback in the conference but in the country, plus two viable backups to fight for it in 2018 (plus Connor Neville, who could ease into the system with Barnett and Hilinski fighting for the starting spot)

Lars -

Any word on if Priester is still on campus/can return?

Any more word on the CN situation or if WSU has tapered off due to the earlier "issues." If this is payboard stuff, we can continue discussion there.

Remember it more being Ryan Leaf promises rather than Chad Davis. Why would you keep a promise to Davis? I do remember all the QBs having a problem with Otten coming in and Price backed off.

So reading the article (and related links), it sounds like he's transferring because he lost the starting gig at Alabama, no? So why would he be content to be a backup to Falk next year?

I completely agree. I get it that Hillinski may not like this concept but I would also tend to agree with what many other posters are saying, in that Hillinski has had time in the "system". So I'd say, even though he wasn't a 5star, he'd be a step ahead of Barnett. That would make it a great situation. As it is now, I have been getting nervous about our depth at QB. If anything happens to Falk, then we are suddenly paper thin. One bad knock on Hillinski and we would be in severe trouble.

And to the thought that he wants to start right away... As with any team, he wants to play right away. But to be a part of a team doing well (like he does. example he doesn't want to transfer to Montana or Eastern WA), he also has to know that he'd be competing against a decent QB. I can't imagine any program making blanket statements like, "Yes, you WILL start next year". More than likely it's, "You'll compete against everyone else. Just like everyone else." So it'll be about his confidence in himself to beat Falk, beat Hillinski, and so on.

Also, I saw he has interest in Ewe. He is truly looking at this as a way to watch 2 teams at one time and gauge from there. Wouldn't be surprised if he took an official to Ewe after this.

As a fan, I'd welcome Barnett in and I'd wager the whole team would, as well. Regardless of how he'd fit into play time, he'd make our team better, worst case just out of sheer competitiveness on the practice field.

And to the thought that he wants to start right away... As with any team, he wants to play right away. But to be a part of a team doing well (like he does. example he doesn't want to transfer to Montana or Eastern WA), he also has to know that he'd be competing against a decent QB. I can't imagine any program making blanket statements like, "Yes, you WILL start next year". More than likely it's, "You'll compete against everyone else. Just like everyone else."
How is this any different than what he had at Alabama? He started against USC, and lost his job later. If that's enough to make him want to transfer, either Bateman is a rock-star or Saban (or his staff) is an ass.

Or perhaps something else happened that we don't know about.
So it'll be about his confidence in himself to beat Falk, beat Hillinski, and so on.
Given Falk's numbers, and his unfamiliarity with the system, I'm not sure how confident he could possibly be. If Falk stays, I think Barnett sits for a year. If Falk goes, maybe he has a chance, depending on how those stars he earned in HS translate. Somehow, I think his decision will hinge on whether Falk stays.

As a fan, I'd welcome Barnett in and I'd wager the whole team would, as well. Regardless of how he'd fit into play time, he'd make our team better, worst case just out of sheer competitiveness on the practice field.
If he's not the whiner type that says "Start me, or I'll go elsewhere."[/QUOTE]

How is this any different than what he had at Alabama? He started against USC, and lost his job later. If that's enough to make him want to transfer, either Bateman is a rock-star or Saban (or his staff) is an ass.

Or perhaps something else happened that we don't know about.

Given Falk's numbers, and his unfamiliarity with the system, I'm not sure how confident he could possibly be. If Falk stays, I think Barnett sits for a year. If Falk goes, maybe he has a chance, depending on how those stars he earned in HS translate. Somehow, I think his decision will hinge on whether Falk stays.

If he's not the whiner type that says "Start me, or I'll go elsewhere."
[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with everything you say. To your first statement/question about how's this different than what he had at Bama... How would it be any different than any other school? He's walking into a situation where the QB's are going to have more experience in whatever system, than he. I think it's naive to think he would start next year, regardless of the school he chooses. His ego may say something different but reality might be a slap in his face.

But it's all about the very specific, very individualized situation at each school, too. As I recall Oregon State QB situation is pretty much a dumpster fire, if I recall correctly. But that also translates to how well that program is doing... so it'll be a trade-off IMHO.

Regarding his decision based on Falk staying or going... Possible but what is the date Falk has to announce that by? Combine is in Feb so Falk will announce, probably after whatever bowl game... that could be in January... So how many schools will pass him by if he waits until Jan/Feb? Risky business...

So reading the article (and related links), it sounds like he's transferring because he lost the starting gig at Alabama, no? So why would he be content to be a backup to Falk next year?

For my .02 cents I don't think it was ever going to work for Barnett at Alabama. He made the flip late in his recruitment and I think once he got acclimated he wanted to get out. Also, not a forgone conclusion that Falk returns despite him refuting the NFL Draft report earlier this season

Lars -

Any more word on the CN situation or if WSU has tapered off due to the earlier "issues." If this is payboard stuff, we can continue discussion there.

Priester has remained on campus all semester and is still a student at WSU. Connor Neville and WSU remain solid, given both aren't interested in seeking out another partner this late in the process.

The more the merrier when it comes to competition at QB, and if he's better than Hilinski and TH decides to go elsewhere, that's just a case of skimming the cream off the milk.

Priester has remained on campus all semester and is still a student at WSU. Connor Neville and WSU remain solid, given both aren't interested in seeking out another partner this late in the process.

It's good he's still around, because WSU is going to need him and Derrion Grim, the Nebraska transfer, to step in right away.

Lars -

I understand that Priester is still at WSU.

Are we interested in dual threat quarterbacks now? I mean, nothing wrong with a kid that's mobile, but if he's billed as "dual threat" it usually means that tucking and running is a staple of their repertoire.

I'm assuming that this kid has all the talent in the world and that's why were looking at him. Besides my reservations about his play style I also question bringing in a kid who bailed on his last team and how that will work within the locker room, especially if they've already warmed up to Tyler taking the helm within the next year or two.

There is one thing which people are not considering. Barnett is engaged to a professional surfer.One cannot hear the waves from Pullman if i remember correctly. i say that the California schools have a couple of legs up on the cougs.

Exactly this although per my recollection regarding the air Raid it seems to take a lot of reps to get familiar with the offense to run it successfully. From what I understand it's not a plug and play system. What are the odds of someone stepping in and mastering it with one round of spring ball? Seems Hillinski would have a leg up? Sure like what I've seen so far from the kid too!
I remember when Falk first stepped in against SC. I was sitting next to some cougar fans and we were all impressed with Falk that day...and said so. He was (and is) something special. I think the cougs can catch lightning in a bottle twice, but I think they likely have a better chance to do so with a young guy that Leach can mold and teach early on. Might mean a bit of a learning curve, but what the heck. Don't the cougs always go 1-2 in early season games anyway? :confused:

Reactions: earldacoug

You'll have to explain to me how NOT having competition for the starting job is a good idea.

My hope is he's staying to come back next season and beyond...

I kind of doubt he'd be welcomed back. He quit like a month before the season started and just sat around doing nothing while his former teammates grinded out a season.

i would be surprised if the cougs land Barnett. The fact that he is engaged to a professional surfer does not bode well for for the coug s chances.She is a very attractivs woman. The California schools have a big advantage in appealing to her business
interests.Somehow ,people already have him competing for the QB starting job in Pullman.

Remember it more being Ryan Leaf promises rather than Chad Davis. Why would you keep a promise to Davis? I do remember all the QBs having a problem with Otten coming in and Price backed off.

If true, file that under "patients running the asylum." Ridiculous.

On the flip side,Barnett is interested in majoring in sports broadcasting and WSU has a long history of having an excellent program.Barnett is a dual threat QB but can make all the throws. he would be an excellent pickup

Reactions: M-I-Coug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT