ADVERTISEMENT

Source: Former Alabama QB Blake Barnett taking OV to WSU this weekend...

You have a good memory! I remember that very well. That was very frustrating, as a fan, but Price would stick with his word.

I think we lost many games, because of that. Great memory.
he also turned away drew brees, because we had birnbaum

Once could argue Tyler Bruggman was Leach's first "big name recruit" at WSU - granted Priester, Martin Jr. were also highly regarded. If Luke Falk declares a year early for the 2017 NFL Draft, you have the most legitimate quarterback competition in Leach's tenure at WSU.

If Falk elects to come back, and Barnett signs, you have arguably not only the best quarterback in the conference but in the country, plus two viable backups to fight for it in 2018 (plus Connor Neville, who could ease into the system with Barnett and Hilinski fighting for the starting spot)

Lars, I guess it is a matter of prospective. I don't consider a 4 star recruit, position rated 18 nationally, who was only seriously considered by us and his home town school in conference, a big name recruit. Same for Priester, a 3 star recruit, position rated 77 nationally. They aren't at the same level as guys like Rypien, Bledsoe, Williams, Butch and Jeremy, Sanders, Mobley, Sparks, - kids rated highly AND had legit offers from elite schools. Bruggman is comparable to Jason Gesser - and no one thought Gesser was a "big name" recruit when Price was here. But then again, Price signed a number of kids like Paymah, Shavies, Eaton, Bender and Tupai,Darling that weren't 5 star guys. but were a 4 star plus kid.

Take off the table whether a kid is any good, in fact (most of the big name kids we have signed underperformed), I believe that when you sign a big name kid or kids, not just upper level kids (Gesser, Bruggman and Priester) you get added buzz and that leads to a coat tail effect. When you get and keep a kid like Barnett, you don't seem to have significant late defection problems, a problem that has plagued Leach thus far.

Lars, I guess it is a matter of prospective. I don't consider a 4 star recruit, position rated 18 nationally, who was only seriously considered by us and his home town school in conference, a big name recruit. Same for Priester, a 3 star recruit, position rated 77 nationally. They aren't at the same level as guys like Rypien, Bledsoe, Williams, Butch and Jeremy, Sanders, Mobley, Sparks, - kids rated highly AND had legit offers from elite schools. Bruggman is comparable to Jason Gesser - and no one thought Gesser was a "big name" recruit when Price was here. But then again, Price signed a number of kids like Paymah, Shavies, Eaton, Bender and Tupai,Darling that weren't 5 star guys. but were a 4 star plus kid.

Take off the table whether a kid is any good, in fact (most of the big name kids we have signed underperformed), I believe that when you sign a big name kid or kids, not just upper level kids (Gesser, Bruggman and Priester) you get added buzz and that leads to a coat tail effect. When you get and keep a kid like Barnett, you don't seem to have significant late defection problems, a problem that has plagued Leach thus far.
Not sure where you're pulling your recruiting rankings from, but Rivals has him the 2nd ranked QB in the 2015 class nationally, and Scout calls him a 5-star, so I'd call that a big name recruit. The fact he was recruited to and committed to Bama tells me he's a big name recruit.

On the flip side,Barnett is interested in majoring in sports broadcasting and WSU has a long history of having an excellent program.Barnett is a dual threat QB but can make all the throws. he would be an excellent pickup

Blake....if your reading this thread....what a smart move and choice for the Murrow School of Communications.

One of the best decision you'll ever make, if you're seriously interested in Broadcasting, (as a second career), is to be part of the legendary Edward R. Murrow program.

Arguably, the best broadcast "hands on" schools on the west coast, and certainly one of the top tier broadcast school/programs in the nation.

The Professional Internship program at Murrow is superior.

Absolute perfect win-win situation.

Last edited:
Not sure where you're pulling your recruiting rankings from, but Rivals has him the 2nd ranked QB in the 2015 class nationally, and Scout calls him a 5-star, so I'd call that a big name recruit. The fact he was recruited to and committed to Bama tells me he's a big name recruit.

Misunderstood my post -- Barnett is a big time recruit no question --- Bruggman and priester were not!!!!

You're kidding, right?! Drew Brees, really?

Years later there was talk later that Brees was interested in WSU. Not, sure how serious it ever was. Birnbaum was not the reason why though. When Brees enrolled as a true freshman at Purdue in 1997, Birnbaum was a backup RS-Sophomore to Ryan Leaf.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT